Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 341540 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2025 on: November 03, 2019, 03:30:18 pm »

Well then, excavation starto. Make sure to set up a watch rotation, with Darwin taking night shifts since he has better senses and all that.
Either way, keep digging until we've either found enough diamonds to convince a potential buyer or some random event triggers. If the former, try to get an estimate of the 'yield' and how much the total worth is (just a ballpark of course, to help with negotiations). If the latter, battlestations!

If I can do some stuff with the magic gold coin in moments of downtime, play around with it a bit to determine its exact properties. For example, does the coin respond only to spoken commands, or also thoughts or hand gestures? And we already know it can land 'head', 'tails' or 'side' (but that one gives strange results). Can it also be ordered to land in a specific place (eg on the small X drawn in the sand) or in a specific way?

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: November 03, 2019, 04:49:50 pm »

Look around, listen for any more shouting. Wouldn't want to get shot in the back.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: November 06, 2019, 04:53:22 am »

Make clumsy attempts at flattery and pretend to be more self important than I already am. Try not to let the lady slip anything suspicious in my drink, but don't try too hard.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: November 06, 2019, 05:15:56 pm »

Well then, excavation starto. Make sure to set up a watch rotation, with Darwin taking night shifts since he has better senses and all that.
It's time for some manual labour, ooh yeah. Let's work up a sweat and work out those muscles.

Do occasionally scan around to see if anyone is coming to start shit though.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2029 on: November 07, 2019, 10:00:25 am »

Make my way towards the right wing and stab it until it's incapable of supporting flight.
Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
[10+1 v 8]
You drag yourself onto the thing's wing and proceed to start hacking and stabbing. You have no idea about this thing's anatomy or where its weakpoints would be, so you just strike at any point you think might work.  Eventually, after what feels like a blood soaked eternity, you sink the sword into something important and the Ray suddenly twists hard to the right and its wing hits the sand.  The turn and cartwheel begin slowly, until the wing strikes a large sand dune and everything spins out of control.
[4 v 8][6]
The line snaps under the force of the impact and for a few moments you find yourself flying through the air, the sky and ground rapidly spinning around you, until you strike the sand.  You black out for what seems like a few seconds before waking. You sit up and vaguely, in your crash addled confusion, realize your right arm is dislocated at the shoulder. You're not holding your sword anymore and the ax is still back with the ray.  You see the beast from here, trying and failing to stand up on its one good wing, bellowing cries at you, though it doesn't seem to know where you are.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Enter the door and head to where the charm leads
The temple is about a foot tall so entering that door isn't exactly something you could do. The best you think you might be able to do is stick your arm inside. However, you'd be doing that blindly without any idea of what you'd encounter, at least as things are.  Do you wanna do that?

Run down the runner. I'd prefer not to cast but if I can't keep up then I'll attempt to speed myself up.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)

[4v5]
You immediately give chase after the runner. You don't catch him, but you manage to keep up with him, closing the distance to maybe 15 feet or so. Its all basically open ground out here so its not hard to keep track of him.

Equipment list:

Ghost charm.
Alchemist's gear.
30 days of storable food and water for Benedict and eight people.  (Saeko, Ekrov, my two guards, two assistants (to help cover more ground and do more excavaton, not fighters), one extra guard, and one expert.  (someone with knowledge of the area and/or relevant skills)
Do note that this is assuming Benedict will be doubled in size to be able to carry eight people.
The salary for all the hires. ~20 gold each in advance with the same upon return.  x6 (240g)
A new much more effective harness for Benedict. (Will fit him out after Ekrov's return.  Will also describe in more detail then)
Various camping and exploration tools, whatever seems reasonable, as well as digging tools and what not.  Some lanterns and light sources, too, in case we need to go underground or just for use at night.
Supply of paper and pens/ink.  (For Ekrov's sketches, as well as mapping and what not.)
Doctor's bag. (In case someone gets hurt, since we don't seem to have one.)
There may be a few other small expenses, such as popsicle sticks to store the parachute spells on, but that should be everything big.

Consider it done, with 50 gold extra for unknown expenses in the future.

Don't mess it up.

Either way, keep digging until we've either found enough diamonds to convince a potential buyer or some random event triggers. If the former, try to get an estimate of the 'yield' and how much the total worth is (just a ballpark of course, to help with negotiations). If the latter, battlestations!

If I can do some stuff with the magic gold coin in moments of downtime, play around with it a bit to determine its exact properties. For example, does the coin respond only to spoken commands, or also thoughts or hand gestures? And we already know it can land 'head', 'tails' or 'side' (but that one gives strange results). Can it also be ordered to land in a specific place (eg on the small X drawn in the sand) or in a specific way?

The coin responds to mental commands as well as verbal, but not anything else you try. It also doesn't seem to be able to be ordered to fall on a certain spot, but you do find that if you roll it on its edge, you can get it to at least travel towards where you want pretty well.

It takes a good few days but with the compass you manage to find a half dozen or so small diamonds. They're not amazing fist sized stones or anything, but they're pretty good regardless and should be enough to convince most people.

It's time for some manual labour, ooh yeah. Let's work up a sweat and work out those muscles.

Do occasionally scan around to see if anyone is coming to start shit though.

The worst you get in a rando or two walking past, staring at the digging, but no attackers.

Look around, listen for any more shouting. Wouldn't want to get shot in the back.

The only shouting seems to be coming from the mage breakers now storming the place and putting down any resistance with rather blunt and overwhelming force. You shrug and let them do their thing, idly grabbing one of the guns from the downed men.

This all went better than expected.

Make clumsy attempts at flattery and pretend to be more self important than I already am. Try not to let the lady slip anything suspicious in my drink, but don't try too hard.

[10v2]
You put on the character you're attempting to play basically perfectly and she eats it up. After maybe a hour or so and several more drinks bought for you she asks if you'd like to go somewhere more comfortable.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: November 07, 2019, 10:11:56 am »

((Eleven minutes late...))

Wow.  Uh.  Okay, I hadn't expected to get 300 mana out of just the metal, but I'm gonna continue as planned and try to turn the uranium death pellets into thaum.  First, spend ten mana on improving end to 1d6+1, and then eat ten thaum to regain the mana.  Then, sketch up a design for a little clockwork hand or arm that is capable of adjusting whatever needs to be adjusted on the alchemist's gear while turning a substance into thaum, and build a rudimentary little construction out of spare clockwork, to serve as a focus for the design.  It doesn't have to be articulated; the idea is that Ekrov will animate the picture, but use the faux hand/arm as raw material, as I imagine that should be easier than just creating an entire arm out of nothing but a sketch. 

Once that's ready, set up the alchemist's gear next to the arm, then fish out one of the death pellets from the opened up furnace/reactor/whatever it is.  Saeko used a cup on a stick I believe, and if it wasn't left here, just build a similar tool.  Once the pellet is obtained, dump it into the alchemist's gear's jar or whatever, and start the thauming process.  If it requires adjusting, cast a very short spell to animate and articulate the faux manipulator constructed earlier to do the adjustments; Ekrov doesn't want to risk getting close and poisoning himself.

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: November 07, 2019, 10:29:13 am »

Yes

reach inside with my lightsilver arm to grab whatever the charm is pointing to
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:36:22 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: November 07, 2019, 01:54:57 pm »

It takes a good few days but with the compass you manage to find a half dozen or so small diamonds. They're not amazing fist sized stones or anything, but they're pretty good regardless and should be enough to convince most people.

Coolio. Give one end of the second paradox snail pair (and some paper and a pen and such) to the guard and tell him to check in with us every 20 minutes, with an immediate message should something strange or hostile happen.

Try to get a rough estimate of the 'yield' and how much the total worth is. Make a note on one of our maps of where the diamond vein is, be sure to keep this map close on me at all times. Also get a good view of the surrounding area in case the map is lost, so we can refind this place.

Then head back to the capital and start looking for potential buyers, using the diamonds we already have as evidence. We are looking to sell the location of the vein. Try to play off different mining companies against each other to maybe get a bidding war started. Don't mention our diamond detector just yet.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 02:16:55 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: November 07, 2019, 03:12:35 pm »

Agree. Accompany the lady. Make sure to grab her ass with my non-dagger hand on the way. Pay careful attention to where we are going and be alert for traps or spell effects. Ask her what she means by "more comfortable" with a wink, to see if she betrays any clues as to her intentions or methods, like if she were to use some clever wordplay like "oh, we'll just take a few things off, here and there" or "you'll be so relaxed you won't feel a thing, ever again" or "I intend to stab you in the testicles and feed your brain to a sand weevil." Clues.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: November 07, 2019, 11:28:10 pm »

Long as I'm idly looting things, may as well idly loot some mana from the fools I dropped. You know, just a little "fucking with me" fax.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: November 07, 2019, 11:30:25 pm »

Lets go interview the people I'm hiring.  I want to make sure I get people okay with the fact that I'm a mage, people who are okay with flying creature-based transport, and who can accept that I might cast magic on them in an emergency.  Use the ghost charm to check that they're not posessed.

Then.. shopping.  There are indeed some last-minute things to do.

Find out if the Adamantine Weave is waterproof, non-conductive, or fire resistant.
If it's not waterproof, see if I can get it waterproofed.

Buy a set of gloves made out of sealer suit material.

If possible, buy a large panel of the material as well.

Also, now that I have a set of alchemy tools, I should get some materials.  After all, if I'm going to move properties around with thaum, I should get some useful stuff.

(If I can't do any of this with Thaum, only buy the set of vials.)

Spoiler: Chemistry supplies (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:39:40 pm by Devastator »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: November 08, 2019, 08:32:26 am »

Continue Pursuit
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: November 10, 2019, 09:44:54 am »

Stick with Darwin while he does the brainy stuff, act like a brawny bodyguard and keep an eye out for trouble

Hotfire90

« Reply #2038 on: November 10, 2019, 11:27:26 am »

Search for the sword, if I find it leave my arm dislocated and advance towards its healthy wing and attack it, hopefully hitting the same vital spot.
Otherwise if I don't find my sword, fix my arm, reload the crossbow and head to a position where I can aim at the Ray's remaining eye.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2039 on: November 11, 2019, 02:04:24 pm »

((Eleven minutes late...))

Wow.  Uh.  Okay, I hadn't expected to get 300 mana out of just the metal, but I'm gonna continue as planned and try to turn the uranium death pellets into thaum.  First, spend ten mana on improving end to 1d6+1, and then eat ten thaum to regain the mana.  Then, sketch up a design for a little clockwork hand or arm that is capable of adjusting whatever needs to be adjusted on the alchemist's gear while turning a substance into thaum, and build a rudimentary little construction out of spare clockwork, to serve as a focus for the design.  It doesn't have to be articulated; the idea is that Ekrov will animate the picture, but use the faux hand/arm as raw material, as I imagine that should be easier than just creating an entire arm out of nothing but a sketch. 

Once that's ready, set up the alchemist's gear next to the arm, then fish out one of the death pellets from the opened up furnace/reactor/whatever it is.  Saeko used a cup on a stick I believe, and if it wasn't left here, just build a similar tool.  Once the pellet is obtained, dump it into the alchemist's gear's jar or whatever, and start the thauming process.  If it requires adjusting, cast a very short spell to animate and articulate the faux manipulator constructed earlier to do the adjustments; Ekrov doesn't want to risk getting close and poisoning himself.

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

((you got pretty lucky with timing, so to speak. Alchemy works on rarity and there aren't a lot of functioning airships around. yet.))

+1 ok, eat ok.

[1+1 v 3] (That was on a d12+1 and a d10 for fug sake) No dice on creating that arm, even a sketch. Best you can get is a sort of low detail sketch of a cartoonish four fingered noodle arm. Real Calarts stuff. Waggle waggle.

I'll give ya another attempt because of just missing the turn.
[1+1 v 5] Well ok then. This time you tear the page, break your pencil, and the sketch turns out as nothing but a highly detailed anatomical sketch of...well you know what its a sketch of and its not an arm.

Muscular hydrostat.

Yes

reach inside with my lightsilver arm to grab whatever the charm is pointing to
You reach inside with your luckily inorganic arm and drag something out. It comes out impossibly, being far too large for the tiny structure. Its a quiver made of what looks like silver with an oddly organic yet elegant design, like a ribcage. In it is a set of 5 arrows with equally strange silver designs. They seem to be vibrating very slightly, like a rung tuning fork.

Coolio. Give one end of the second paradox snail pair (and some paper and a pen and such) to the guard and tell him to check in with us every 20 minutes, with an immediate message should something strange or hostile happen.

Try to get a rough estimate of the 'yield' and how much the total worth is. Make a note on one of our maps of where the diamond vein is, be sure to keep this map close on me at all times. Also get a good view of the surrounding area in case the map is lost, so we can refind this place.

Then head back to the capital and start looking for potential buyers, using the diamonds we already have as evidence. We are looking to sell the location of the vein. Try to play off different mining companies against each other to maybe get a bidding war started. Don't mention our diamond detector just yet.

If by yield you mean the guess at the total wealth that can be drawn out of that deposit, then lets see...
[3v6]
You can't even make a good guess at it to be honest. It would just be a completely random assumption.  Maybe you should get someone else to look into it? Course that would require telling them about the site and such...  As per the cost of the diamonds themselves, you think your small handful is worth about...110 gold? They're uncut and not very large so their value isn't too much currently. But still, they're not bad.

[1v1]
Uh. Well. Lets try that again.
[8v5]
Better.  Alright you spread the info around that you have a new diamond vein you're looking to sell the location to. The various buyers express their interest but you also notice that while they're saying they're interested and seem to take your diamonds as good evidence, none have come forward with an express offer. You also get word from the men at the dig site that they've seen more people wandering around the area in the past day or two. None have wandered over to them yet, but you get the distinct feeling that your buyers are trying to find the site on their own before making an offer.
Stick with Darwin while he does the brainy stuff, act like a brawny bodyguard and keep an eye out for trouble

FLEXING

Long as I'm idly looting things, may as well idly loot some mana from the fools I dropped. You know, just a little "fucking with me" fax.

[1+1v2][2+1v4]
You attempt to rip some mana out of two of the downed men but get nothing from them. Lame. Next time you'll have to use a tax, not a fax~

Continue Pursuit
[2v2]
ok lets not have a holding pattern post here, dice.
[4v6]

The man starts to get away, increasing the distance between you two by a good deal. You still have a good line of sight on him, you just can't catch up. [3v5] You're also starting to get winded.

Agree. Accompany the lady. Make sure to grab her ass with my non-dagger hand on the way. Pay careful attention to where we are going and be alert for traps or spell effects. Ask her what she means by "more comfortable" with a wink, to see if she betrays any clues as to her intentions or methods, like if she were to use some clever wordplay like "oh, we'll just take a few things off, here and there" or "you'll be so relaxed you won't feel a thing, ever again" or "I intend to stab you in the testicles and feed your brain to a sand weevil." Clues.

You walk out of the bar with what is essentially your prey at this moment, making plenty of clumsy but enthusiastic moves with your non-stabby hand. You do your very best to look completely obtuse while still keeping an eye on the surroundings and making sure you're not being...well, outplayed. You continue your conversation with plenty of innuendo, secretly slipping probing questions in and seeing how she reacts. She doesn't come out and say anything specific but you do catch hints. Nothing as blunt as what you were expecting, but she does seem very smugly pleased about this. And when you make some inferences about removing things with your teeth she seems to take a kind of knowing amusement in it.

You reach a building a few minutes later. Its not a bad looking place, or in a bad looking neighborhood. Just one of a countless number of tall, thin homes that seem pretty newly built. She steps inside and gestures for you to follow.

Lets go interview the people I'm hiring.  I want to make sure I get people okay with the fact that I'm a mage, people who are okay with flying creature-based transport, and who can accept that I might cast magic on them in an emergency.  Use the ghost charm to check that they're not posessed.

Then.. shopping.  There are indeed some last-minute things to do.

Find out if the Adamantine Weave is waterproof, non-conductive, or fire resistant.
If it's not waterproof, see if I can get it waterproofed.

Buy a set of gloves made out of sealer suit material.

If possible, buy a large panel of the material as well.

Also, now that I have a set of alchemy tools, I should get some materials.  After all, if I'm going to move properties around with thaum, I should get some useful stuff.

(If I can't do any of this with Thaum, only buy the set of vials.)

Spoiler: Chemistry supplies (click to show/hide)

Are those all the qualifications you have? Any specific technical skills or knowledge you need?

Semi-waterproof, very fire resistant, and conductive. You can get it waterproofed with the application of oil, but the oil itself is flammable.

Ok.

Ok. By panel do you mean a solid piece or just a large piece of cloth?

So you're attempting to take a physical thing and extract the properties of it? Ie extract an "Essence of slippery" from the soap?  I feel like I kind of talked about this before but I don't remember where. Do you know where I originally talked about it? I wanna make sure I'm consistent here.

Search for the sword, if I find it leave my arm dislocated and advance towards its healthy wing and attack it, hopefully hitting the same vital spot.
Otherwise if I don't find my sword, fix my arm, reload the crossbow and head to a position where I can aim at the Ray's remaining eye.

You get up, stumble, then straighten up. [4v6] You look around for your sword for a few moments but can't see it, at least not immediately. Crap.
[5v1]
You pull your arm out in front of you and tug on it until you feel the joint slip back into place. You give it a few tentative shrugs and once you're satisfied its not gonna pop out again, you pull out and reload your crossbow. [6v1] You sneak in close to the ray, crawling and crouch running when it looks away, until you're about as close as you dare to get. You lay down, brace your crossbow, and aim for several seconds before firing.
[4v2][5v1]
You hit the thing square in the eye with a bolt and it jerks back, screaming, with such force that it topples over backwards and seems to get itself stuck there, flailing with one wing, unable to roll back over. Its barbed tail whips dangerously back and forth, luckily not near you.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 04:02:47 pm by piecewise »
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 203