Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 343334 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2205 on: January 09, 2020, 09:31:50 pm »

Head down to the docks and looks around, asking Adam if he notices anything. Especially inspect the fish and the water since the waterfront seems like the obvious commonality between the two. Also keep my eyes open in case someone shows the symptoms in front of me, because I'll definately want to check them out if I see it happening in front of my eyes. Assuming we find nothing then I'll probably go see someone who has previously shown the symptoms and ask them about their experience.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: January 10, 2020, 12:56:32 am »

Ask the adventurer “Would you like to follow me to one of these temples so you can help confirm we are talking of the same deity/“

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: January 10, 2020, 01:14:16 am »

Two things I want to do today:

Recover all the accessable corpses and take them outside the building.  Recover and remove any equipment, such as weapons and particularly their armour, armour being as valuable as it is.  Examine one of the armour sets, perhaps by having someone swing a sword at it to see how good it is.  Don't forget to check for more key orbs, too.  Another copy of the soldier orb might be useful for experimentation, and there may well be other orbs around.  Bring some clockwork robots out too, if Ekrov likes.

Secondly, lets get making some thaum.  Converting the wreckage of some of the crashed thaumic aircraft should be pretty good.  Thaumic debris usually doesn't pay well, but there's an awful lot of it around, and stuff on warplanes should have some special materials or metals involved in it.  Keep an eye out for any stuff like mana batteries, magicoal, special metals, etc, but convert everything except for mana batteries, be they full or empty.  I expect it'll take more than half a day to do all the debris, there might be hundreds of wrecked planes, so just do as much as I can today.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for Ekrov, syv's character:

Examine some of the dead clockwork robots, check how they died, if they have weapons, etc.  Try to recover some clockwork 'brains' or the intact spring-powering devices.

Then check out the magicoal furnace, and see how it compares to normal thaumic alchemy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:22:53 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: January 10, 2020, 01:18:55 am »

Check Environmental Reg for any Words I could take.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: January 12, 2020, 07:25:23 am »

That seems entirely possible.

Very well then, let's try it, but we'll have Ecalir do that since he's the more dexterous one. Be the lookout while he does so, keep an eye on the guard. Use distraction as described before should it be necessary.

If it works, give the door last quick check for non-magical traps or alarms, if nothing found go into the office (close the door behind us). While in the office, try to remain hidden so they won't spot us through the windows. If the lockbox is still there, examine it as well for magical or non-magical protections. If it's just a lockbox, use biometal to make a key as before and open 'er up.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: January 13, 2020, 07:41:50 am »

Yeah, go look at the robots and catalogue them.  Are they the same type of bots as the clockwork ship bots?  Do they have the same/similar kind of mainspring power sources?  It's probably not feasible to collect *all* the bots right now, but at least record where all the most intact ones are, especially ones that look like they have surviving brains or power sources.

Next, pull out that clockwork metal cutting tool, the one that could cut through solid metal easily despite not even being sharp, and test it very carefuily on some of the tough structural rock that this place is made of.  Do be very careful to avoid damaging the tool, if it has any trouble with the rock.

And yeah, go... know roll the furnaces, I guess, since Dev wants that.  Do they work?  Could we use them?  Could we replicate them?  Sketch lots of pictures of the furnaces.

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2211 on: January 13, 2020, 02:26:44 pm »

Ask the adventurer “Would you like to follow me to one of these temples so you can help confirm we are talking of the same deity/“
When you tell him where it is, he says he'll do it, but not for free. He ain't walking halfway round the world on a favor.

Head down to the docks and looks around, asking Adam if he notices anything. Especially inspect the fish and the water since the waterfront seems like the obvious commonality between the two. Also keep my eyes open in case someone shows the symptoms in front of me, because I'll definately want to check them out if I see it happening in front of my eyes. Assuming we find nothing then I'll probably go see someone who has previously shown the symptoms and ask them about their experience.
The docks seem normal enough, perhaps under worked a bit, so you check the river and the water itself. The water is fine and clear, though the soil at its edges has a odd green tint. Algae? Hmm. The fish themselves are a fisherman's dream. Fat, slow, swimming near the surface and seemingly insensible. They don't run from your presence; you could probably reach in and pick them up by hand if you were so inclined.  They're just floating there, gazing up at the sun.

Adam floats silently for a moment and then grumbles "Do they get better?"

That seems entirely possible.

Very well then, let's try it, but we'll have Ecalir do that since he's the more dexterous one. Be the lookout while he does so, keep an eye on the guard. Use distraction as described before should it be necessary.

If it works, give the door last quick check for non-magical traps or alarms, if nothing found go into the office (close the door behind us). While in the office, try to remain hidden so they won't spot us through the windows. If the lockbox is still there, examine it as well for magical or non-magical protections. If it's just a lockbox, use biometal to make a key as before and open 'er up.

[8+1v2]
You hand the ball to Eclair and he carefully, presses it against the handle of the door.
[5]
What could have been a giant pyrotechnic show of magic being ripped into the ball instead turns out to be nothing but a soft "Bzzzzupt" as the lightning around the room is sucked into the orb with all the fearsome power of a particularly large static discharge. Nothing but a little spark.

You move forward and, after another check, carefully touch the doorknob with one finger. Nothing happens so you grip the handle lightly and turn.  The door opens with a light creak and you both hold your breath, waiting to see if one of the lackadaisical guards suddenly get interested. 30 seconds pass. You crouch low, so as not to be seen through the windows on the left side of the room, and crawl through. You make it to the lockbox on the other side of the room and check it for traps.

[6+1v2]

Nothing that you can see, other than that the box itself is bolted to the floor, which would make stealing it quiet difficult. You pull out some biometal and press it to the keyhole, commanding it to unlock the box [-2 mana].  The metal squirms in and though it doesn't make a key (the lock is apparently something quite complex) it does get the box open. Inside is...it looks like a highly decorative metal claw of sorts, or maybe something like a crown? Its a sort of hemisphere of gold or gold like metal with a rounded base and dozens of "prongs" reaching up to form the hemispherical shape. Each prong looks like the finger or claw or paw or tentacle or pincer or mandible of a different animal. Looking at it carefully, you think back to the first thing this compass pointed you to; the core of that octopus. You pull it out and look at the two side by side. You think the core could fit snugly in this claw.  The bottom of the claw tapers down into a swirl of metal that looks ready to accept a rod or handle.  Perhaps that is what waits at the last location?

Check Environmental Reg for any Words I could take.

[5+1v4]
You accompany the search crew for a trip to an environmental regulation section and start scrambling around in the exposed guts of a damaged machine. Within its depths, among broken stone and bent metal you find the magic for "LIGHTNING".

Yeah, go look at the robots and catalogue them.  Are they the same type of bots as the clockwork ship bots?  Do they have the same/similar kind of mainspring power sources?  It's probably not feasible to collect *all* the bots right now, but at least record where all the most intact ones are, especially ones that look like they have surviving brains or power sources.

Next, pull out that clockwork metal cutting tool, the one that could cut through solid metal easily despite not even being sharp, and test it very carefuily on some of the tough structural rock that this place is made of.  Do be very careful to avoid damaging the tool, if it has any trouble with the rock.

And yeah, go... know roll the furnaces, I guess, since Dev wants that.  Do they work?  Could we use them?  Could we replicate them?  Sketch lots of pictures of the furnaces.

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)
[10+2v2]
You move through the mapped sections with a guide from the exploration team, cataloging locations and types of mechanical soldiers. These are different from the workers you saw before; robust, strong, apparently well armed. The ones that you find are not in any sort of working condition and the vast majority have been reduced to little more than scattered chunks. Likely that had many redundant systems, were especially difficult to put down without complete destruction. You see, in your examinations of the pieces, what appears to be a decentralized "brain" of sorts. Limbs and parts seem to have the intelligence to respond independently, the loss of any particular part would not prove immediately "fatal". But they are simple minds, as far as these things go. The workers had to diagnosis and fix countless possible issues; these things seem to be little more than brutes. Their power centers, as you can tell from the few that failed in a explosive manner, are the mainsprings of before. Many of these main springs, with their extremely armored shells, remain, but brains are fragmented. Bits and pieces here and there. You mark down what you can.

The tool cuts, but very slowly and with a great deal of heat and sparks.

[6+2v10]

The furnaces are beyond your understanding, at least for now. Maybe with more knowledge of thaumic machines, maybe with the chance to completely deconstruct one, maybe with historical accounts or drawings, you could make some headway. But for now they are monolithic enigmas of stone, metal, and magical veins.

Two things I want to do today:

Recover all the accessable corpses and take them outside the building.  Recover and remove any equipment, such as weapons and particularly their armour, armour being as valuable as it is.  Examine one of the armour sets, perhaps by having someone swing a sword at it to see how good it is.  Don't forget to check for more key orbs, too.  Another copy of the soldier orb might be useful for experimentation, and there may well be other orbs around.  Bring some clockwork robots out too, if Ekrov likes.

Secondly, lets get making some thaum.  Converting the wreckage of some of the crashed thaumic aircraft should be pretty good.  Thaumic debris usually doesn't pay well, but there's an awful lot of it around, and stuff on warplanes should have some special materials or metals involved in it.  Keep an eye out for any stuff like mana batteries, magicoal, special metals, etc, but convert everything except for mana batteries, be they full or empty.  I expect it'll take more than half a day to do all the debris, there might be hundreds of wrecked planes, so just do as much as I can today.

As for Ekrov, syv's character:

Examine some of the dead clockwork robots, check how they died, if they have weapons, etc.  Try to recover some clockwork 'brains' or the intact spring-powering devices.

Then check out the magicoal furnace, and see how it compares to normal thaumic alchemy.
There are hundreds of corpses, possibly over a thousand, so recovery of all of them is a hell of a job, especially as scattered as some pieces are. You set half the team to work on the job but it will take days to get all of the bodies out.  As they unload mummified corpses, you begin searching through them for items of interest. Many are unarmed, unarmored and appear to be simple technicians and workers in cotton clothing of various colors. From them you get a variety of objects, but the most important appear to be tools for making or maintaining of thaumic machines. A sort of engraving tool which automatically lays a line of that "arcane wire" behind it is of particular interest.  The soldiers you get are dressed much like the one Ekrov found, though some are in nicer clothing. Silk is, apparently, reserved for pilots or something of the sort as only 4 of the 16 bodies recovered are wearing a uniform made of it. Among the recovered weapons are about a dozen Thaumic rifles -metal rods resembling canes that use mana as ammo-, a set of 5 sabers with extremely thin silver blades laid with hair fine arcane wires, and about 4 complete sets of armor and a lot of partial pieces and plates and singular boots and such.  There are keys with almost every body, but none that seem to be "Above" soldier, judging by their symbols.

Tests of the armor prove curious. The armor is often damaged on the bodies, torn and pierced over what are fatal injuries. Tests run on damaged pieces or spare pieces show them to provide little protection; they're wafer thin silver -or some other metal- and provide about as much protection as you'd expect something like that to provide. Its very odd because they're clearly not decorative; they don't match the complex hieroglyphic and twisting designs found elsewhere in the wreckage. One worker suggests that maybe the armor protects against something other than mundane threats.

You move into the wreckage itself and let your crew guide you to some wreckage. You begin converting and quickly find that the valuable things from the wreckage are very specific. The general body of the planes is effectively worthless, but any instruments or arcane wiring or objects related to the thing's function are where the value lies.  Stripping these and sorting out the broken and useless from the functional is a slow process, but the wields are good. You get 60 thaum today, converting a fair amount of wreckage.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: January 13, 2020, 03:14:11 pm »

so the fish and the fishermen are acting the same way.
To Adam: "Usually the fish move around a lot more. These ones are acting wierd."
Maybe if I talk to an affected fisherman I'll learn more? Seems like something's in the water. Fat fish gazing up, extra algae thats extra green... maybe the algae itself is the source? Fish eat algae and fishermen eat fish? Are non-fishermen being affected if they eat the fish? Or is it limited to people who contact the water?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: January 13, 2020, 06:56:03 pm »

Of course. How much gold to you want?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: January 13, 2020, 09:34:33 pm »

Okay, far too many bodies to retrieve them all.  The retrieval squad, maybe for the last day, will just concentrate on stripping bodies of gear, keys, and silk clothing, and then moving on today.  Concentrate on the environmental areas, which might have some kinda technician key instead of a labourer key, and the hangars, which are more likely to have silk-suited pilots and probably have some kinda armourer for the vehicles which might need heavy weapons.  The other half is to look through some guardroooms, storage rooms, and dormatories looking for more tools, keys, and personal effects, and seeing if there's anything more interesting being stored than rotten seeds and ancient crops.  In particularl, there should be magicoal being stored somewhere.

As for me, ask Ekrov if he'll convert all of the 60 thaum to mana, and give it to me.  Then test out the rifles, shooting a one-mana shot out, and then charging one with two mana to see if that gives me two shots or one more powerful one.  Next, try out the magic swords, spending a few mana to see how they work.  I'm not sure how to test the armour, so I'll leave that for now.  Then, cast as many d8 Strengthen spells on myself as needed to raise my Knowledge stat to d8.

Thaum-convert one of the magic rifles, to guage it's value, and some of the broken armour bits for similar reasons.. the metal in itself might be really valuable.  After testing and buffing, go look for words, starting in the Environmental area.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:35:43 pm by Devastator »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: January 14, 2020, 03:01:05 pm »

Spend mana to bring my will to +2
Then attempt to duplicate the McGuffin. JUst make a copy that physically looks like it, don't try to copy its magical properties or anything.

If succesful, follow Darwin's lead. Probably skedadle from here.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 04:24:56 pm by Pancaek »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: January 15, 2020, 03:29:49 pm »

Begin our new job by day, and find something decent but not showy or expensive to live in by night. In my time off, Go poke about the ruins and tombs up north Arachne is free to join me if not otherwise occupied. I'll give her plenty of space to do her wicked deeds, as long as she meets with me regularly, and I don't start hearing rumors of servants disappearing. Also, chat her up a bit and pay attention to her interests in things other than the hunt. If she likes clothes or jewelry or other girly things. Finally, continue to monitor that orbiting ghost while I'm poking about up north. I'm wondering what could be carrying it about - a territorial animal, some kind of machine, some military patrol, or a strange sense of ghostly wanderlust.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: January 15, 2020, 03:54:50 pm »

Let Ecalir do his thing. Is there anything in this office that might give an indication of what this thing is for? (don't rifle through all the papers or anything, just a superficial check is fine, try not to leave clues/unnecessary fingerprints/etc.)

Should it all work out, then it'll be time to sneak out. Lock the box again after us, as well as the doors. Try to leave everything in the same state as it was before. And again, use viscera sensing spell and small distraction implosion if needed to escape silently.

If we get out unseen, immediately leave the city and head for Fearce. Once far enough away that there are no witnesses, spend 5 mana to teleport in the direction of Fearce, then continue the remainder on foot if necessary. If we get there with no shenanigans, look at the compass for the direction of the 3rd piece.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:06:59 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: January 15, 2020, 09:55:34 pm »

Go ahead and scrawl that shit on my flesh. Then go search another machine.

I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: January 15, 2020, 10:11:37 pm »

Default for syv:  Attempt to figure out what the armour is or how it works.  Use one point of mana to do so with the swords.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 203