Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 338093 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2370 on: March 24, 2020, 05:18:24 am »

Ride him. Ride him like a chocobo.

Make sure we have enough supplies for being in the desert for a few days at least, and if there is any doubt at all that we'll be able to intercept the 3rd piece before it reaches wherever it is going, teleport 1/4th of the distance just in case.

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: March 24, 2020, 07:38:51 am »

"Hi-ho silver, CAWay!"

Serve as Darwin's trusty steed. Now that I have arms though, naruto-run all the way.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: March 24, 2020, 07:22:15 pm »

Attempt to pick up the goo

(("You pick up the goo.  Then you drop the goo, because your hands have melted."))

Eat fifty thaum and immediately spend the mana on leveling Endurance to +3 (already accounted for in sheet).  If at any point the king's key is discovered, use an Animate scrying spell (using the standard "draw on paper and animate it" method) to create a full schematic sketch of how it works internally.  Then try to reverse-banish it back here, UNLESS Ekrov would know that this has more than d10 difficulty.

If Saeko's scrying doesn't work, Ekrov will try himself.  He'll sketch out a rough top down map of the ruins (not trying to represent them three-dimensionally), and then animate the map to show the positions of keys within the ruins.  Have Saeko use her strengthen, grow, and view words to improve the map--specifically, highlighting specific types of keys (so the exception of the king's key is more obvious), making the map more precise or adding a three-dimensional element to it (if the king's key's general location is found), or shifting the viewed location to other places where the king's key might be found.  If Ekrov can do these things more easily/cheaply, with only his Animate word, he will do it all himself.

If Saeko goes through with the drill plan, stop her from using a mundane steel drill, and instead present her with the awesome clockwork metal-cutting tool Ekrov looted from the clockwork wreck.  She can buff that instead.  Also, uh, cast a quick clockwork scrying spell to examine and memorize the design of the cutter, because Ekrov definitely wants to be able to remake that thing if it gets broken.

Finally, you said that Ekrov doesn't understand how the keys work internally, which is a problem if he's gonna try to make a fake key.  So smash a few keys open and look at their insides.  We have plenty of spares of each type, as I recall.  How dizzying is the complexity?

And keep melting magicoal.

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: March 24, 2020, 10:32:48 pm »

Do I think the damage is merely cosmetic, or does it affect the function?

Go back to absorb more mana, repeating the same procedure.
Spoiler: procedure (click to show/hide)

Paint what the king's key probably looks like.

Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2374 on: March 25, 2020, 12:10:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[1v8]
You attempt to pick up the goo. The goo immediately encases your entire arm. The goo is also pooling at your feet and you're sinking into it like quicksand. You're beginning to hear a lot of human screaming right now.

"Hi-ho silver, CAWay!"

Serve as Darwin's trusty steed. Now that I have arms though, naruto-run all the way.

It is a very floppy naruto run. Imagine a giant chicken with two pool noodles taped to its sides.

Ride him. Ride him like a chocobo.

Make sure we have enough supplies for being in the desert for a few days at least, and if there is any doubt at all that we'll be able to intercept the 3rd piece before it reaches wherever it is going, teleport 1/4th of the distance just in case.

8+2v5

It takes several days of hard, constant riding and avoiding other potential encounters but you manage to catch up. The target appears to be a group of 9 men, one employer and 8 bodyguards by the look of it. You catch up to them outside of Lunare, as they head straight west, towards the winding canyon like area between the two mountains that hold Graves and Galena.

They haven't noticed you.

Do I think the damage is merely cosmetic, or does it affect the function?

Go back to absorb more mana, repeating the same procedure.
Spoiler: procedure (click to show/hide)

Paint what the king's key probably looks like.

Its likely not a problem for now but...more damage might ruin it.

[3+3 v12]

The crack widens, nearly splitting the band in half. Its holding together for the moment, but only just.

You paint a clear, rounded stone absolutely filled with complexly woven golden wires and embossed with the golden symbol of the king.

(("You pick up the goo.  Then you drop the goo, because your hands have melted."))

Eat fifty thaum and immediately spend the mana on leveling Endurance to +3 (already accounted for in sheet).  If at any point the king's key is discovered, use an Animate scrying spell (using the standard "draw on paper and animate it" method) to create a full schematic sketch of how it works internally.  Then try to reverse-banish it back here, UNLESS Ekrov would know that this has more than d10 difficulty.

If Saeko's scrying doesn't work, Ekrov will try himself.  He'll sketch out a rough top down map of the ruins (not trying to represent them three-dimensionally), and then animate the map to show the positions of keys within the ruins.  Have Saeko use her strengthen, grow, and view words to improve the map--specifically, highlighting specific types of keys (so the exception of the king's key is more obvious), making the map more precise or adding a three-dimensional element to it (if the king's key's general location is found), or shifting the viewed location to other places where the king's key might be found.  If Ekrov can do these things more easily/cheaply, with only his Animate word, he will do it all himself.

If Saeko goes through with the drill plan, stop her from using a mundane steel drill, and instead present her with the awesome clockwork metal-cutting tool Ekrov looted from the clockwork wreck.  She can buff that instead.  Also, uh, cast a quick clockwork scrying spell to examine and memorize the design of the cutter, because Ekrov definitely wants to be able to remake that thing if it gets broken.

Finally, you said that Ekrov doesn't understand how the keys work internally, which is a problem if he's gonna try to make a fake key.  So smash a few keys open and look at their insides.  We have plenty of spares of each type, as I recall.  How dizzying is the complexity?

And keep melting magicoal.

Try to scry for the key in a simple way to begin with.  Get a bowl of water, and stand in front of the king door and cast Strenghten View, with an intent on summoning a view of the key's location to the surface of the water.  Max die size is d8, from the View word.

Cast any desired Strengthen, or View spells or such on any maps Ekrov makes, should that first idea not work to find the key.

Get Benedict to try and dig down to the palace entrance.  The rest of the crew can help direct him with this, move stuff, etcetera.

Personally, I want to make something to break into the king room if we can't find the key.  Ekrov suggested using his clockwork cutting machine, so use a d10 Steel Strengthen spell to dramatically improve it's capabilities to cut through stuff.  Then use it to try and cut through the wall of the core room.  Retry this one if it fails.

Spoiler: Saeko Hirahara (click to show/hide)
These posts have interwoven actions, I'll handle them as one. Lets try Saeko's attempt first
[6+3v7] -7 mana
The attempt produces a sort of birds eye view of a large section of desert and a small village among some ruins. It looks like here...but not like here. Its not the palace, thats for sure.

Ekrov's attempt...We'll delay since the ruins he'd be sketching and such are not the location of the key, as seen by Saeko's scrying.

Benedict and the crew are sent to excavate the palace. They think they can do it, shifting sands and everything, but it will take time.

As per the keys...Ok. We'll assume you smash open one of the lower level keys. Inside that key is the wires, and in the core of it are tiny crystals with what you think are magic words engraved on them, but they're literally too small to read.  So mana comes in one side, hits the crystal, transforms into some material, and then flows out to the other side. Easy enough. BUT what is written on those crystals could be ANY magical word. And those input wires could branch, activating more than one crystal each, and funneling out combinations of the two materials (like ice by activating both "Water" and "Cold").  To copy a key, you'd need to know not only where each where goes, in terms of crystal and output wire, but also whats on the crystal. Does that make sense? Just smashing open these eyes wouldn't give you that info.

And that saw is very good for metal, but not for this.

4 coal, 156 mana.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: March 25, 2020, 12:44:57 pm »

Try freeing myself from the goo by finding something to grab onto and try to move the rest of my body towards my free arm, hopefully getting myself out
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:13:40 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: March 25, 2020, 03:05:06 pm »

Observe the caravan with he binoculars. Are they all on foot? Do any of them look like wizards? How are the bodyguards armed? And the employer, what does he look like? Any special weapons or tools or whatever on them? Try to learn whatever I can from this distance.

Once that is done, try to head for that canyon and search for a good ambush location. Either move in a wide semi-circle around them so we get ahead of them without them noticing us, or retreat a little bit out of sight and use our map to teleport ahead of them so we have time to set up an ambush (use the artefact compass to keep track of their position).

Should we find a good location, start by taking some black biometal and shape it into a small bird with a decent wingspan and good eyes and use it as a scout (make it look like a bird that occurs in this area if possible). Have it fly high and tell it to return to us when that caravan is getting close (or, if has some other non-suspicious way to communicate with us such as a screech or caw, it can use that). Make sure to save at least 5kg of the metal If we can.

Oh and question: you know that fast-working anesthetic for knocking out humans we made once using our chem kit? Now, suppose I took some black biometal and told it to form into the shape of something like a mosquito or other small insect that is capable of injecting something into a human. Then, have it suck up some of that anesthetic. The idea is that it would try to quietly fly up to a person and inject that anesthetic to knock him out quietly. Would this work? If yes, could we make a bunch of these insects with the black biometal we have at hand and order them to do this in unison, to hopefully knock out the whole lot in quick succession (and without bloodshed)?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:07:16 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: March 26, 2020, 03:48:51 am »

Ekrov mentioned that he'd be doing something to help direct Saeko towards the village in the scrying image.  If he successfully does that, fly off on Benedict to the location he determines.  If he doesn't come up with a location, mount up on Benny anyway, take two days of food, and head to Molybdena to see if that was the village pointed out in the vision.  Take a picture of the king symbol, and one of the spare keys.

Before leaving, do a few things.  Buff a drill with a d10 steel strengthen spell.  Cast a d6 Strengthen Enlarge spell on the broken-open key to see if that makes the parts and words visible.  If, in the one day I spent back, Benny has removed enough material for the palace exploration to begin, the crew is to begin exploring it.  If not, the crew is to explore the middle and upper levels of the city as per my previous orders.

Lasly, has my hearing noticeably improved from the ongoing development of the elf-ears?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:15:40 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: March 29, 2020, 12:18:17 am »

Well, no way I'm channeling more.

Paint what Saeko probably looks like from Ekrov's perspective.

Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: March 29, 2020, 02:13:50 am »

Eat fifty of the thaum gained last turn (accounted for).  I don't want to eat all of it, due to risks of magic mutation and all that.

Cast a scry spell using "Human" to find the location of the village that is visible in Saeko's own scry spell.  Maybe throw in "Animate" and a map of the local area, if that would help.  Recast on failure; this should let Saeko go to exactly the right place.

Additionally, repeat the attempt to make a map of key locations, by drawing a simple map of the village (Saeko's scrying image was a bird's eye view, so this should be simple), then animating this map to highlight locations of keys.  Repeat on failure.

-

Otherwise, reverse-banish testing.  I'd write up proper experiments, but thinking about it, it's really better to just ask you "how does this work" and then take whatever mana cost you judge that knowledge to be worth.

I want to create a permanent summoning circle within the ruins, which Ekrov can later teleport to using reverse banish.  I'd like this to be as cheap as possible, and long ranged, so that a permanent link could be set up later once we have a proper base.  It's fine if it only acts as a focus for a spell Ekrov casts on his own, manually, though I may improve that later.

Ideas I have here are to use a large piece of clockwork, made out of iron, as the centerpiece of the summoning circle.  Later, another identical piece could be used to construct an identical circle.  Both pieces could be enchanted as well, but importantly I want this copy to not need another enchantment to link up with the second circle--ideally, the ruins circle would be complete and ready by the time we leave.

I could also use those thaumic inscription tools to further enchant the summoning circle, either to make it usable with only mana expenditure, or simply make it easier to use with a manually-cast spell.

Is all this possible?  Impractical?  Are there any improvements that could be made?

-

Also, does a banish spell to summon/get rid of a target require endurance, because it's physically changing the location of something that already exists, or will, because it's still technically summoning something?

...And melt more magicoal too.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: March 29, 2020, 01:38:02 pm »

Let Darwin do the sneaky stuff. Just stick with him, stay quiet, and keep an eye out for potential trouble

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2381 on: March 29, 2020, 04:11:46 pm »

Well, no way I'm channeling more.

Paint what Saeko probably looks like from Ekrov's perspective.

Probably something like this

Try freeing myself from the goo by finding something to grab onto and try to move the rest of my body towards my free arm, hopefully getting myself out
[3v9]

So the goo entirely consumes you and here we reach an odd point. You aren't dead, but you are also now not in control of your actions. There is a chance you might become in control of your actions again later, but not without external help. We can play this out, and see if you can be rescued, or you could essentially consign this character to death and start a new one. Your choice, but the first option might take some time.

Observe the caravan with he binoculars. Are they all on foot? Do any of them look like wizards? How are the bodyguards armed? And the employer, what does he look like? Any special weapons or tools or whatever on them? Try to learn whatever I can from this distance.

Once that is done, try to head for that canyon and search for a good ambush location. Either move in a wide semi-circle around them so we get ahead of them without them noticing us, or retreat a little bit out of sight and use our map to teleport ahead of them so we have time to set up an ambush (use the artefact compass to keep track of their position).

Should we find a good location, start by taking some black biometal and shape it into a small bird with a decent wingspan and good eyes and use it as a scout (make it look like a bird that occurs in this area if possible). Have it fly high and tell it to return to us when that caravan is getting close (or, if has some other non-suspicious way to communicate with us such as a screech or caw, it can use that). Make sure to save at least 5kg of the metal If we can.

Oh and question: you know that fast-working anesthetic for knocking out humans we made once using our chem kit? Now, suppose I took some black biometal and told it to form into the shape of something like a mosquito or other small insect that is capable of injecting something into a human. Then, have it suck up some of that anesthetic. The idea is that it would try to quietly fly up to a person and inject that anesthetic to knock him out quietly. Would this work? If yes, could we make a bunch of these insects with the black biometal we have at hand and order them to do this in unison, to hopefully knock out the whole lot in quick succession (and without bloodshed)?

Let Darwin do the sneaky stuff. Just stick with him, stay quiet, and keep an eye out for potential trouble

They have a cart, but they're all walking right now.  None of them are obviously wizards, but wizards are not generally obvious in most cases.  The employer is an older man, well off by the look of it. Maybe even a scholar?  He doesn't look armed but he is walking with a large walking stick.

[10v8]
You find a good spot, a bottle neck where you can reduce the effectiveness of their numbers.

-5 mana. You send the scout bird out with instructions to return when the caravan is near. You approximate maybe 45 minutes. You got a good lead on them.

So...for the sake of your drug lets assume its Ketamine equivalent. Using information about darting animals to knock them out, we'll assume you need about 100 mg of fluid to knock them out well, and that the period until it takes effect is about 10 minutes from injection. So a total 900 mg needs to be delivered, and mosquitoes drink about 3mg. Lot of mosquitoes. Hornets and bees inject 5 and 50 micrograms...Basically I don't think you can do this secretly. You need either a bigger insect to inject, or a heck of a swarm.  They'll probably notice either way.

Eat fifty of the thaum gained last turn (accounted for).  I don't want to eat all of it, due to risks of magic mutation and all that.

Cast a scry spell using "Human" to find the location of the village that is visible in Saeko's own scry spell.  Maybe throw in "Animate" and a map of the local area, if that would help.  Recast on failure; this should let Saeko go to exactly the right place.

Additionally, repeat the attempt to make a map of key locations, by drawing a simple map of the village (Saeko's scrying image was a bird's eye view, so this should be simple), then animating this map to highlight locations of keys.  Repeat on failure.

-

Otherwise, reverse-banish testing.  I'd write up proper experiments, but thinking about it, it's really better to just ask you "how does this work" and then take whatever mana cost you judge that knowledge to be worth.

I want to create a permanent summoning circle within the ruins, which Ekrov can later teleport to using reverse banish.  I'd like this to be as cheap as possible, and long ranged, so that a permanent link could be set up later once we have a proper base.  It's fine if it only acts as a focus for a spell Ekrov casts on his own, manually, though I may improve that later.

Ideas I have here are to use a large piece of clockwork, made out of iron, as the centerpiece of the summoning circle.  Later, another identical piece could be used to construct an identical circle.  Both pieces could be enchanted as well, but importantly I want this copy to not need another enchantment to link up with the second circle--ideally, the ruins circle would be complete and ready by the time we leave.

I could also use those thaumic inscription tools to further enchant the summoning circle, either to make it usable with only mana expenditure, or simply make it easier to use with a manually-cast spell.

Is all this possible?  Impractical?  Are there any improvements that could be made?

-

Also, does a banish spell to summon/get rid of a target require endurance, because it's physically changing the location of something that already exists, or will, because it's still technically summoning something?

...And melt more magicoal too.

Ok.
[9+5 v 3]
Its Molybdaena. And the key is, according to your information, Within a specifc large house, on a silver chain, around the neck of an old woman. You also knock out the location of 5 other keys too.

The simplist and cheapest method is basically to take a piece of iron, cut in in half, put one end at the place you wanna warp, and one end at the end point. Then you stick a spell on there so that when mana is placed into the iron, it will teleport the thing putting that mana in to the other piece of iron. This would theoretically be a lot cheaper than attempting to create a stable, continous portal from one to the other because you'd only need to insert the amount of mana you need each time, as a sort of toll.

As per summoning vs Summoning,  Endurance if you're summoning an object that already exists, Will if you're summoning it into existance, ie creating it.

2 coal, 60 mana.

Ekrov mentioned that he'd be doing something to help direct Saeko towards the village in the scrying image.  If he successfully does that, fly off on Benedict to the location he determines.  If he doesn't come up with a location, mount up on Benny anyway, take two days of food, and head to Molybdena to see if that was the village pointed out in the vision.  Take a picture of the king symbol, and one of the spare keys.

Before leaving, do a few things.  Buff a drill with a d10 steel strengthen spell.  Cast a d6 Strengthen Enlarge spell on the broken-open key to see if that makes the parts and words visible.  If, in the one day I spent back, Benny has removed enough material for the palace exploration to begin, the crew is to begin exploring it.  If not, the crew is to explore the middle and upper levels of the city as per my previous orders.

Lasly, has my hearing noticeably improved from the ongoing development of the elf-ears?

-6 mana, drill enchanted
-4 mana, it got big enough to see, barely

Hard to say if hearing is better, but you seem to be able to hear better than other people when you compare.

You head over to Molybdaena. The town is a fairly small, basically all built around a single well in the center of town. They grow a small amount of crops and seem to be fairly self sufficent out here, disconnected from anything else. The notable thing about them is that their town is entirely build out of pieces of the ruins. For a small town they have quite oppulant homes, paved streets, even a fountain, though it is now dry. Its almost like the secret hideaway of nobles than a true village. 

The people  are noticably different than those you see in the rest of the kingdom, both in terms of general appearance and what they wear. They're very bundled up, with head coverings and pants and robes, and wear emblems like those found in the ruins.  The technology is also advanced for a small place; there are wind mills pulling water from the well for instance. According to Ekrov, the King's Key is somewhere in town, worn by an older woman. 

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: March 29, 2020, 05:15:09 pm »

I want to play this out
I’m curious what the goo has me do

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: March 30, 2020, 11:00:16 pm »

Land near the house that contained the king key and dismount.

Knock on the door, and try to find the person who had the king key, and initiate negotiations to borrow the king key.

I'm willing to offer many things for it:

Money (up to 400 gold, maybe some of the gemstones and precious metals.)
Magic spells, (normal buffs, or more exotic spells of some sort)
Magicoal, (up to two pieces)
Mana, (up to 40 mana).
Magic Arms.  Some of the weapons or other tools we've recovered so far.

If I think it'll help, explain how I'm working for the magebreakers, and how the choice is basically between 'get paid now' and 'they come back with a small army and tear the town apart to get it.'

Since if negotations fail, I plan on moving on to taking it through force or intimidation, add a couple temporary spells to help with that.  Use a weak Grow Strengthen on my fingernails so that they'll be functional claws by the time I'd want them to be ready.  Also do a d4 temporary Grow Ice spell for a similar purpose.. to cause eyes go icy blue over time, and grant chilly breath, which should be helpful for intimidation.  Pass it off if those spells prove unnecessary.

If I am refused permission to borrow it for a few days, stop there, as I'll probably attempt to get it through some other method.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:27:14 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: April 01, 2020, 05:01:34 am »

Okay, now paint what Ekrov probably looks like from Saeko's perspective.

[poke syvarris]
Zavirius pops up near Ekrov while he's doing something that's probably boring. "Hey Ekrov, I've got a question for you."
She is holding a painting frame, though pointed away such that Ekrov can't see what's on it yet.

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 203