Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 203

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 343335 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #2685 on: June 26, 2020, 05:01:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Go towards one of the other spirit signals, farther from the helix spirit
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 11:17:34 am by Naturegirl1999 »

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: June 26, 2020, 05:06:50 pm »

Look for a blunt object in the room, and bash the mechanical beast with it.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: June 26, 2020, 05:28:41 pm »

Notify the boatmaster that we seem to be being followed along the banks, and ask if the river ahead has an easy way to force them to stop it coming up.

generally boats are faster than land travel, unless the river is windy, and this route is mostly straight. I don't think these people can keep this up the whole trip. Especially not and stay hidden... if they want to attack, they're going to have to do it soon.

Also ask if there's anywhere coming up that we could be waylaid. Someplace we have to slow down while the river is norrow, or that we pass under an overhang?

Finally, Im going to make sure I have easy access to the Aqua Vitae at all times, with the intent of adjusting the current when the stalkers make their move.
Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:13:46 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: June 27, 2020, 02:28:33 pm »

Let’s start looking for that magguffin! First look in our books and such to see if there’s any clues. Then ask around with the locals if there are any (try to look more like historians or something than adventurers) and finally look for clues in the environment itself.

Also, see how far Darwin could boost eg. his strength stat with the sunbro staff before it starts diminishing other stats.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: June 27, 2020, 04:23:44 pm »

Eclair is a humanoid terror bird with robot tendril arms and you think you can pull off looking more like historians than adventurers? :p
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: June 27, 2020, 04:32:14 pm »

(As rolled on IRC, pay 75 gold to have someone find a d6 Multiple word.)

Lets do all of them.  That's 11 locations, 12 including the capital, so I'll need 288 birds.  The ones for the capital, (at least two dozen) will be summoned right here via d6 Strengthen Multiple Permanent Bird, to gauge how many casts are necessary for batches of 24 mail-carrying avians.

The ones for the other places will be done by enchanting a wand with enough copies of the same spell for them to do it locally, to avoid having to store several hundred birds in the same place.

That'll be a lot of mana.  I should have sufficient amounts via the magicoal and Ekrov to cast these, but it'll take some time.  Marking off a week to do the summoning birds / making bird wands / collecting money.  Need a total to deduct the right amount of magicoal.

Spoiler: Saeko (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:21:30 pm by Devastator »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: June 29, 2020, 03:23:55 am »

Eclair is a humanoid terror bird with robot tendril arms and you think you can pull off looking more like historians than adventurers? :p

((Why, he is simply my trusty birdy steed! And this green stuff all over Darwin? A skin condition! :p
But yeah, it's just to ensure PW won't have u going around yelling about how we're looking for divine artifacts and instead keep as low a profile as we can manage.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2692 on: June 30, 2020, 09:34:39 am »

"How's that possible? I mean, sure they've had time to set up and build, but where do you think the energy comes from? It would take massive amounts just to power that one machine, let alone the vast armies. Do they mine coal, grow food? How massive would those operations have to be to support this?"

Do you want me to do something here? Cuz I don't have a lot I can do about this right now.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
"We're not sure how big their empire is to the west. We drove them out but never chased them down. We know they have power systems we don't, using pellets of deadly light. Its been decades...maybe a century since they were repelled the last time. A lot of time to build."

The airship continues forward and eventually passes beyond the mechanical forces and on to the empty plains. Or rather, what appears to empty plains at first. There are ruins here, abandoned buildings, some still intact while others have been smashed, likely by advancing machines. They look like farmhouses and villages; from this height you can see what would have been a half dozen small hamlets spread across the landscape, old lines of rotten fences and mummified homes. There's no green left though, not even the rough desert plants of the kingdom, just sand.

"Watchman tells us there's a city up ahead" The captain calls back to you. "Anyone here have good eyes and life tracking ability? We want to scan this place and then head back."

Go towards one of the other spirit signals, farther from the helix spirit
You're pretty sure that helix is whats causing all these signals since no matter how you try to track any particular signal, you always end up back near the helix tunnel. Otherwise the charm just spins randomly.

Look for a blunt object in the room, and bash the mechanical beast with it.
[3v6] You glance around quickly but the interior of this tank, despite being badly rusted, yields no chunks of rebar or bits of structural member to use as a club. The best you can think to do is try to smash with the butt of your digger. Not perfect but better than nothing.
[2v3][6v2]
You try to drive the butt of your knife into the creature's face but it hops backwards nimbly, far more nimbly than something of its size should be able to.  It counters with a heavy punch towards your skull but you duck it easily and then scramble backwards. The man you came to rescue is already gone, out of earshot back through the rubble and presumably heading for the surface.  You could follow him, try and lure this creature out onto wider ground with allies...or keep fighting it down here where you only have to worry about yourself and none of the people paying you to keep them alive.

Notify the boatmaster that we seem to be being followed along the banks, and ask if the river ahead has an easy way to force them to stop it coming up.

generally boats are faster than land travel, unless the river is windy, and this route is mostly straight. I don't think these people can keep this up the whole trip. Especially not and stay hidden... if they want to attack, they're going to have to do it soon.

Also ask if there's anywhere coming up that we could be waylaid. Someplace we have to slow down while the river is norrow, or that we pass under an overhang?

Finally, Im going to make sure I have easy access to the Aqua Vitae at all times, with the intent of adjusting the current when the stalkers make their move.
The boat is paddling up the river, under steam power, so its not as fast as if it were coming down. Really only a bit faster than normal walking speed.  You notify the captain about the shadows and he immediately calls to guards with rifles that have been patrolling the deck. They all congregate on the sides of the boat, aiming at the shadows and shouting demands that they show themselves. As soon as this starts the shadows immediately dissolve back into the woods along the river, vanishing.

The captain thanks you, but asks you to keep an eye out. The ship will be traveling through the night so if "That lot" ,as he puts it, are tenacious they'll try that again.  He says there are several thin areas of the river but no overpasses or bridges until the next town.

Let’s start looking for that magguffin! First look in our books and such to see if there’s any clues. Then ask around with the locals if there are any (try to look more like historians or something than adventurers) and finally look for clues in the environment itself.

Also, see how far Darwin could boost eg. his strength stat with the sunbro staff before it starts diminishing other stats.

[3+1v3][6]
It seems that you can enhance your strength up to d8 without issue, at d10 you feel a bit slower and more awkward, bulging bundles of vine-like muscle preventing you from even fully flexing your elbows. 

Looking at all you know...you think the best place to look would be inside one of these pillars...maybe under the roots of one. If you had to make a guess, it would be the more central and tallest of them. But how you can get in there you're really not sure. The pillars are massive in size and, as previously said, there's a lake of pure mercury around the base of each one.  You suppose you could go to the top of one and hope for a passage? Or maybe just find the thing up there.

(As rolled on IRC, pay 75 gold to have someone find a d6 Multiple word.)

Lets do all of them.  That's 11 locations, 12 including the capital, so I'll need 288 birds.  The ones for the capital, (at least two dozen) will be summoned right here via d6 Strengthen Multiple Permanent Bird, to gauge how many casts are necessary for batches of 24 mail-carrying avians.

The ones for the other places will be done by enchanting a wand with enough copies of the same spell for them to do it locally, to avoid having to store several hundred birds in the same place.

That'll be a lot of mana.  I should have sufficient amounts via the magicoal and Ekrov to cast these, but it'll take some time.  Marking off a week to do the summoning birds / making bird wands / collecting money.  Need a total to deduct the right amount of magicoal.

[1+4v3] -3 mana.  Your spell seems to summon 6 birds at a time. For a total of 4 spells per town. so 47 spells left. Rolling....[146 mana cost] Which you don't have on you but I'll assume you can get it from sy or other sources. If not, lemme know. We'll assume you have them divided up by wands and such as you like.

We can assume a small time skip as you get paid the....2400 gold for setting these up.  Rather than worry about trying to manage passage of time, variation of markets, and supply line of gold, we can just assume you make certain die roll worth of gold per post.  How much do you intend to charge per message by the way?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: June 30, 2020, 09:37:25 am »

Try getting back to New Kaolin
First step is probably climbing the mountain down

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: July 01, 2020, 01:44:41 am »

"I could detect human life, but I'm not sure if that's sufficient."

Also, technically Senses is my worst stat still. If told to, cast a similar spell as before using Human, Glass on the binoculars to sense the aura of humans.

Spoiler: ... (click to show/hide)
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: July 01, 2020, 02:32:41 am »

Charge less than a gold per message, as a bird should be able to handle more than one at a time.  At least one gold for a package.

Spend 70 mana for +4 knowledge.  (extra word slot needed)

Have a chat with the two permanent guards.  I'm going to re-arm them, so..

What's the weight of armour they want?  d6 chainmail?
What kind of weapons do they want?

And..

Do they want some kind of permanent self-improvement buff?  And if so, what would they like?

Help Ekrov with any experiments that warrant assistance.  (some involving Ice, which might need magical summonses.)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 04:06:13 am by Devastator »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: July 02, 2020, 01:40:59 am »

"Thank you."
I think I'll retire and rest up right away then, with the intent to try to be up most of the night tonight to help keep an eye out, so I'm getting some sleep in now so I won't be desperate for it later.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: July 03, 2020, 03:04:50 am »

Morph our biometal into 1 set of wings that can attach to a back and be used for flying. Then go out away from these lakes for a bit to practice with them for a while until Ecalir and Darwin are at least comfortable with them (don't need very elegant flying, just good enough to get to the top of that tower).

Then with our tarps and such make 2 parachutes in case the flying goes bad after all. Once we are prepared, attach the wings to Ecalir's back so he can use them to fly up to the top of that tower. If/once he gets up there, the biometal can morph into a bird, fly down, then back into wings and repeat for Darwin.

Should this idea not work for whatever reason, see if I can use the sunbro staff to make a set of plantwings strong enough to let Darwin fly up while carrying Ecalir (shift around those extra points in str to end if needed). Or could we use the sunbro staff to make a tree/vines grow all the way up to the top perhaps?

Either way, drink one of my thaum bottles.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:08:10 am by Radio Controlled »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: July 03, 2020, 03:08:56 am »

Follow the plan, this birb is taking flight.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: July 03, 2020, 03:51:49 am »

Can Ekrov make magical items which run off thaum, rather than needing a mage to force magic into them?  I kinda want to make a thaum gastank for my mechsuit which powers enchantments, but I don't know whether it would need Ekrov to manually act as an intermediate, eating the thaum then infusing the mana into the suit.  I'd also like to know if there's any mechanical drawbacks to doing this, like inefficiency or harder enchants or something.

Talk to the gravid guidebot.  Ask it where it believes itself to be.  Ask it what year/time it believes this to be.  Ask where it was built.  And finally ask it who I (Ekrov) am, and why it's answering questions.  Note, Ekrov is carrying an aristocrat and soldier key.

Lube:

Spoiler: Science? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: creepy oracle kid (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 203