Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do the magma and water wells work  (Read 1697 times)

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do the magma and water wells work
« on: April 26, 2017, 12:21:54 pm »

The descriptions I can find of the magma and water wells don't seem to match the reactions.  If I do Spawn magma lvl4 - North, is that one tile of 4/7 constantly regenerating magma 2 blocks north and one block down of the well?

I found this line in the onLoad.init file:
modtools/reaction-trigger -reactionName MAGMAWELL_N_4 -command [ flow/source -unit \\WORKER_ID -offset [ 0 -2 -1 ] -source 4 -magma ]

So, I just dig a channel, but this on one side and then spawn a L7 source inside the channel to have a constantly full area?  Does it even have to be a c(h)annel?  Can I just have a (m)ined out square right two blocks north and one down of the center of the well?
Thanks!
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do the magma and water wells work
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:03:32 pm »

Code: [Select]
2.WWW.
3.WWW.   - the workshop
4.WWW.
  Z=0
1..x..
3x...x    - the spawn points
5..x..
  Z=-1

basically it sets a magma/water spawn point at the sqaure 1 beyond and 1 level below the shop in the direction set.  it can be just one square, or it can be an elaborate tunnel, or it can be a large open pit that all 4 spawn points are under, it does't matter. it will continue to try and raise the liquid at that spawn point to the number set, so you could set it to 3 and it will fill a channel until all the squares are at 3. 

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 07:08:43 pm »

additionally it fills in the level below it, there is no need for any tile to be channeled.  it can be a mine.... it can be a cavern beneath it... the only issue I've ever discovered is that water spawn points can't be set with lava directly below the spawn point and vica versa.  in other words this:
Code: [Select]
X- spawn point
o
o
o - open space
o
o
Y - liquid below.

and boom it fails to produce the opposite fluid, so you can't use this to directly pour obsidian casts, but you can use them to feel tanks that are gated to reach a place where obsidian casting will take place.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 07:11:55 pm »

oh of note, its been reported that spawn points seem to turn off when the game is saved and loaded back in... I've never notice this action, because I generally use tank systems and gate controls on liquid flows, but I guess someone else could confirm that.  I meant to talk to you about it because your save seemed to have magmawells on repeat modes.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 10:10:36 am »

Thank you very much for the clarification!  I am now looking at my 30Z high magma pump stack and saying "Oops..."
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.