Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: A Normal College Game With Absolutely No Odd Goings On | Enroll Today! [5!?/4]  (Read 4987 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Important Note: This is very much a test. It's not quite as tentative as some of the things I've run, but it's still running in a style that I'm completely unsure will work PbP, so buckle in and understand that anything and everything could disappear at a moment's notice.

The Gist: You play a student at a college university with the (mis?)fortune of being one of the individuals father fate decided to tap for his game of knucklebones. You've got to pass your classes, avoid being eaten, and maybe try and get an internship on the way out.

What I need from you: So, right now I need you to submit your hero. It's a really simple process, and there are two examples down in the cards section, but the below is a rough sort of character sheet:

//First, the name, self explanatory.
Name:
//HP, should sit between 8 and 12
HP:
//Speed, should be between 2 and 4.
Speed:
//You get 8 points to spend between these next four. Pick wisely.
Knowledge:
Tech:
Savvy:
Might:
//Alright, now here at the bottom I want you to come up with a perk and a flaw for your hero. If you can't make something specific, just give me the perk/flaw names and I'll write in the rest.

Now, as you'll read below (if you read the rules), you'll know that normally we'd be picking a scenario together that would outline the goals. However, since this is a test, I'm just going to tell you the scenario and you're going to live with it.

Scenario: My Future's So Bright....
Description: A good life is shaped by good beginnings, and you're determined to be the first one out of the gate. Which would be a lot easier if the gate wasn't currently infested by some writhing tentacle thing that may or may not have once been the janitor's small intestine. You've got to get good grades, find a job (keep the job), be recognized in town as a man or woman who can get things done, AND have enough money saved to graduate without an ounce of student loans! Easier said than done.
Win Conditions
  • Your grade rank must be A after at least 2 full exams
  • You must have a job type Asset card in play
  • You must have fully completed at least 1 lead from each neighborhood.
  • You must possess the money resource card 'Diamond the Size of a Testicle'.
Special Rules: You may not start with a job or any positive modifications to your starting funds as part of your hero character.

I need four of you. Feel free to ask questions. I realize things are a bit disorganized, but, well, if the game goes well and people want to play more, I'll be open to spiffing up the place.

Spoiler: Basic Cycle of Play (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Game Locations (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rolling Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Card Types

Heroes - You. Hopefully this card doesn't change. Hero cards have 8 stat points at start, some number of HP, a speed value, and at least one perk and one flaw.

Allies - People who can help you, often requires resources to recruit. Ally cards have variable stat points, some amount of HP, a speed value, and may or may not have perks and flaws.

Assets - Items, places, etc, that provide bonuses to various resources and stats.

Actions - Cards that do something, good or bad. Some of these cards can be triggered by contingencies.

Interaction  Cards -  Cards that originate from interacting with the world. These cards often present choices, challenges, and the opportunity to pursue leads.

Fate Cards - Cards drawn only by the dealer, determining the state of the world and any global modifiers.

Resource Cards - Cards that can be spent to improve certain rolls, buy items, and measure Karma.

Spoiler: Heroes and Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Assets and Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Player Resources (click to show/hide)

Cards
(Not all, clearly. Just examples for now, with more added as they come up.)

Spoiler: Heroes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Interaction (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fate (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:14:07 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Are there any mechanical limits that would give someone reason not to just pick 4 Speed and 12 HP?
Oh, and is this gonna play like a card game played around the table -- how much room is there for RP?

Name: Ezra Amos
HP: 8
Speed: 4
Knowledge: 4
Tech: 2
Savvy: 1
Might: 1
Diligent Studier (Perk): Ezra automatically gets one success on challenges involving studying.
Obsessive (Flaw): If Ezra fails a challenge involving studying, he must make an attempt to study his next turn too if it is at all possible. This doesn't apply for more than one turn in a row.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:09:05 am by Powder Miner »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For RP, we play with the distinct advantage of the decks being ephemeral concepts. How you go about a situation can turn the luck of the draw, since the draw is determined somewhat by me. For between players. Well, there's no rule that says you can't help one another on challenges, but you'll need to do some steep negotiating about alliances and benefits. We'll see how it goes when the game gets going.

For mechanics, it's basically just going to be me saying yay or nay. If you have high HP and Speed, then your perk is going to be minor, and your flaw is going to suck. Since I'm drawing cards from you guys, it hast to meet with my approval. Seemed a faster way than genning a bunch of heroes and forcing you to pick one.

For Ezra, Flaw is pretty light, but you opted for low HP, so I'm fine with it. Welcome aboard Powder, it's been a while.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Something PURELY DONE WITHIN BOUNDARIES of a player's own limitations in a char sheet HUM!? O_O

I'm totally into this.

Name: Rylie Maximilian Emha
Speed: 2
Knowledge: 2
Tech: 1
Might: 4
Perk: Peace of Mind/ All stat (Knowledge, Tech, Savvy, and Might) results yield better outcomes depending on the degree of the situation.
Flaw: Occult Hater/ For any die roll involving any action with occult situations (unless a focused or personal action), drop a -1 into each roll.

I want to punch all the things for PEACE!
Also the flaw not giving a -1 could only be restricted to personal actions wanting to do so--anything else has a -1? :O
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 09:42:45 am by Tiruin »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Glad to be here :D

I wonder how well this system would lend itself towards cooperative games.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something PURELY DONE WITHIN BOUNDARIES of a player's own limitations in a char sheet HUM!? O_O

I'm totally into this.

Perk: Peace of Mind/ All stat (Knowledge, Tech, Savvy, and Might) results yield better outcomes depending on the degree of the situation.
Flaw: Occult Hater/ For any die roll involving any action with occult situations (unless a focused or personal action), drop a -1 into each roll.

Also the flaw not giving a -1 could only be restricted to personal actions wanting to do so--anything else has a -1? :O

That flaw... What do you mean by a focused action? Actions in which you spend resources? Also, by personal action, do you mean actions taken by your hero unit? The perk is fine. I'm not sure what what your parenthesized modifier to your flaw means.
---

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Hi Draignean,

Would this work? I wanted a an over-privileged entitled kid who got into this prestigious college thanks to his parents, but then remembered the money part, so no money involved.

Name: Stan Jao
Speed: 3
Knowledge: 1
Savvy: 4
Might: 2
Perk: Connections: Stan didn’t get into college thanks to his academic capabilities.
Flaw: Dunce: Stan didn’t get into college thanks to his academic capabilities.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi Draignean,

Would this work? I wanted a an over-privileged entitled kid who got into this prestigious college thanks to his parents, but then remembered the money part, so no money involved.

Name: Stan Jao
Knowledge: 1
Savvy: 4
Perk: Connections: Stan didn’t get into college thanks to his academic capabilities.
Flaw: Dunce: Stan didn’t get into college thanks to his academic capabilities.

Yes, let's see. Everyone's been shooting 8 HP, so I'll probably just give you a weaker copy of the blockhead trait.

How does this sound:
 Connections: Stan didn’t get into college thanks to his academic capabilities. Starts with asset 'Friends in High Places (Academic)' card.
Dunce: On knowledge checks, Stan must re-roll his first success.

Name: Friends in High Places (Academic)
Cost to Play: Pay Comfortable Funds
Effect: After every exam, you can make a single savvy check. Every two successes raises your grade on that exam by one. If you have an academic honesty violation, you can discard this card to get rid of it.
"Of course, your family has already proven their value to society. I hardly thing we need to subject you to the same rigor as the common student when you come from such a... refined stock."

PPE: Jao? I expect great things.
---

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile

I was thinking of a middle ground character. Whether or not it's a good idea to not min-max remains to be seen.

Name: Andrew Bertrand
HP: 10
Savvy: 2
Perk: Perfectly Average: He has no flaws nor weaknesses.
Flaw: Winging it: When average doesn't cut it all that's left is to fly by the seat of your pants.
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

Darn, 15 minutes too late. COULD there be room for 1 more?
Name:Mawe S. Tikkson
Savvy: 3
Keen Perception(Perk): When doing a non-investigation action in a building, view the top card of the Interaction deck for that location. At the end of the next turn, if that card has not been drawn, shuffle the deck. This perk cannot be used consecutively in the same general location(downtown, etc).
Hopeless Romantic(Flaw): 25% chance for movement on a turn to be reduced by 1, due to trying to flirt wth a girl.

Some preacher said they saw some angel walkin' about in the supermarket. I came to check her..IT out, and it looks like I finally found you, babe.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

That looks very good. So: I can use that card after every exam, if I have the Comfortable Funds to do so?

Also, yes, great things.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was thinking of a middle ground character. Whether or not it's a good idea to not min-max remains to be seen.

Name: Andrew Bertrand
Savvy: 2
Perk: Perfectly Average: He has no flaws nor weaknesses.
Flaw: Winging it: When average doesn't cut it all that's left is to fly by the seat of your pants.

Well, I've gotta* give you Perks and Flaws regardless, so...
Perfectly Average: Every time Andrew rolls a 1, he gets to roll an extra die on that check. (1's explode)
Winging it: When spending resources to better challenge rolls, he spends at a ratio of 1:1 +1. So to get one extra die, he spends 2 resources. To get 2, he spends 3, etc.

*Well, I don't actually have to, but I want to, so I am.

Darn, 15 minutes too late. COULD there be room for 1 more?
Name:Mawe S. Tikkson
Savvy: 3
Keen Perception(Perk): When doing a non-investigation action in a building, view the top card of the Interaction deck for that location. At the end of the next turn, if that card has not been drawn, shuffle the deck. This perk cannot be used consecutively in the same general location(downtown, etc).
Hopeless Romantic(Flaw): 25% chance for movement on a turn to be reduced by 1, due to trying to flirt wth a girl.

Some preacher said they saw some angel walkin' about in the supermarket. I came to check her..IT out, and it looks like I finally found you, babe.

Eh. Why not?

Good perk, going to buff it slightly.
Keen Perception(Perk): When doing a performing an action in a building, view the top card of the Interaction deck for that location. If investigating, reveal this card after you draw your interaction card. At the end of the next turn, if that card has not been drawn, shuffle the deck. This perk cannot be used consecutively in the same general location(downtown, etc).

That looks very good. So: I can use that card after every exam, if I have the Comfortable Funds to do so?

Also, yes, great things.

Oh, no. If you drew that card from the deck and it was in your hand, it would cost that to put it in play. Now that it's in play, you can use it for free after each exam.
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I'm totally into this.

That flaw... What do you mean by a focused action? Actions in which you spend resources? Also, by personal action, do you mean actions taken by your hero unit? The perk is fine. I'm not sure what what your parenthesized modifier to your flaw means.
Like when you personally aim to make an action that includes occult stuff--RPwise, I'll be trying to avoid even doing so unless it is the last resort. :P

Unless I misread how we act again despite reading all those nice lengthy spoilers twice x~x
Otherwise make that a -1 to the first roll involving any occult nature, even indirectly.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 06:26:02 pm by Tiruin »

Aliemma

• Bay Watcher
  • Rejecting reality and substituting my own.
    • View Profile

PTW 'cause card games

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mostly a P.T.W., I cannot guarantee commitment to the cause. But feel free to rope me in on a lark if you feel the urge. I mostly just want to make a hero for the lulz.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also want some sort of scholarship. Possibly just reuse the diligent studier perk and combine it with a loss of funds on test fails flaw.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6