Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: A Normal College Game With Absolutely No Odd Goings On | Enroll Today! [5!?/4]  (Read 4979 times)

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile

Woah. This is like the board game "A Touch Of Evil", except college themed.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Game Set Up Phase

Initial cards  and starting resources have been dealt to players.

Drawing initial fate card...

Bad Neighborhood
Effect: The Old Quarter, City Outskirts, and Downtown may spontaneously generate thug enemies. In addition, investigation of these areas is more dangerous.

Dealing Asset and Action cards...
Setting up initial resources...
Loading status sheets...
Beginning game...

It's the spring, a time of new beginnings, pollen, disturbing reports of criminal activity, and the coalescence of existential horror as you slowly realize how much money and time you decided to invest so you could get a pretty piece of paper.

Still, you're going to put your heart and soul into getting that piece of paper. You're going to get out of this nowhere college town head and shoulders above these other chumps, with opportunities lined up and no debt to hold you down! It's gonna be great, you're going to be great.

Right?

So, everyone select your starting locations and make your round 1 actions. We're on our way!

Spoiler: MAP (click to show/hide)

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile

Starting at the Satellite Properties, MAKE WORK at the Farm.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Starting at the Satellite Properties, MAKE WORK at the Farm.

As a word of warning, this only has a 5% chance of bettering your current financial situation. You can see the way money upgrades in the OP section describing resource cards. (Very Bottom)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok then, Campus Theatre and Arts Center, Investigate!
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

A certain redheaded workaholic would likely be found at the Central Library around this time, even at the very beginning of the spring quarter -- it being the beginning of the quarter only meant that Ezra had time to start building himself a base of work to start the quarter off on, and given how much he intended to study, he'd probably be spending a lot of time in the library, so he figured he'd better look for useful things here while he could. Oh, and he'd be wearing those fancy shoes he'd been gifted. Dad'd saved up for them, Ezra was sure, so he wasn't gonna let them go untouched.
The Running Shoes asset will be attached to Ezra, who will start off investigating the Central Library.

I_Like_Pi

• Bay Watcher
  • The way of Pi
    • View Profile

Start at Monument Park and investigate.
My Fire Emblem on Forums: Magi Wars OOC | IC
Magi Wars sidestory: Rotting Empire OOC | IC

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Effect: The Old Quarter, City Outskirts, and Downtown may spontaneously generate thug enemies. In addition, investigation of these areas is more dangerous.
WELL THEN.

Win Conditions

Your grade rank must be A after at least 2 full exams
    You must have a job type Asset card in play
    You must have fully completed at least 1 lead from each neighborhood.
    You must possess the money resource card 'Diamond the Size of a Testicle'.
Any single sentence means a win, right?

Start at The Old Quarter--City Newspaper; Investigate.
Also hug kitten.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Start at Bar and Grill! "Investigate"!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WELL THEN.

Win Conditions

Your grade rank must be A after at least 2 full exams
    You must have a job type Asset card in play
    You must have fully completed at least 1 lead from each neighborhood.
    You must possess the money resource card 'Diamond the Size of a Testicle'.
Any single sentence means a win, right?

Start at The Old Quarter--City Newspaper; Investigate.
Also hug kitten.

Uh, no. All of them.

Also, the cards you were given are still all in hand. Once in play they become visible to everyone, so you can post your plays in the main thread.
---

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Also, the cards you were given are still all in hand. Once in play they become visible to everyone, so you can post your plays in the main thread.
I thought they're passively played? At least the assets one anyway.

. . .This punchy-person trusts you all anyway :3

Play Adorable Kitten.
If I lost this card I'm going to RP and then be sad about it. :P
Messy wording aside, thanks for the clarification Draig!

Also I wish we could trade with other protagonists--it invokes a trust concept and all that, because I've a ton of action cards [read: all of them :P] which I can't even pay my stats to use because they're too pricey. And the only place to trade them off is...wow 4 speed turns away. Twice my turns O_O
Hope this testing goes well, Draig :3 much like Mephansteras' colonies game.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 01:52:12 am by Tiruin »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought they're passively played? At least the assets one anyway.

Think of them like equipment cards. When they're in your hand, they're not active. Each card has a cost entry, and that's the amount that it takes to get it from your hand to the field.

Rule: If it's not listed on your character sheet, it's not having any effect.

EDIT:

An important point. Your character's stats are NOT what you use to pay for cards. Actions and Assets are paid for using resources. Resources are pretty common pickups from investigation, but all of you start with 0. You never get to pay for a card using your character's (or your ally's) base stats.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:20:34 am by Draignean »
---

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looking at Strange Coin (which I don't have), would my ability allow me to guarentee that the next card I draw will be a good cards (since I can look at a card before I draw it), or would you make the card a chance of being good or bad within itself to keep it balanced?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Oh boy.  PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: OceanSoul
Looking at Strange Coin (which I don't have), would my ability allow me to guarentee that the next card I draw will be a good cards (since I can look at a card before I draw it), or would you make the card a chance of being good or bad within itself to keep it balanced?

Strange Coin is an override, so your ability wouldn't really apply. So, the latter.
Though I might still use the original card as inspiration, which might allow you to choose what flavor of awful/amazing you wanted to indulge in. Maybe.

Ezra
Interaction Card: Charity Competition
Type: Event/Dud
Extra: Pay Spare Change or ignore this card.
Challenge: Critical Knowledge
-Pass: Gain 2 Knowledge, gain a little money.
-Fail:  Gain 2 Knowledge
-Crit-Fail: Lose 1 savvy

To kick the semester off, the campus library is hosting a research competition. Basically, each student picks one of the available fields (History, Medicine, Physics, etc) and gets an obscure topic related to that field. From there you have 6 hours to put together an annotated research portfolio covering everything there is to know about said obscure thing, but the catch is you can only use resources available in hardcopy at the library.

It's a charity competition, so it costs ten bucks to get in, but the person with the best portfolio in each division gets a nice little kickback. Nothing like a bit of monetary incentive to make people push their limits.

Does you pay the fee to compete?

Mawe
Interaction Card: A Boring Day
Type: Dud
Effect: None

One can only hope the campus improv comedy group will improve over time. Really, really hope. Honestly, it's kind of painful how they can manage to mix incompetence and cringe worthy humor into something that isn't even amusing as a trainwreck.

Andrew
Interaction Card: Butterflies
Type: Lead
Extra: Gain 1 Tech. If you want to pursue this lead, make a straightforward might challenge or lose 1hp and 2 stress.
Part 1: Take the butterfly back to your dorm for a closer look. (Knowledge challenge)
Part 2: [Unknown, complete part 1]
Part 3: [Unknown, complete part 2]
Part 4: [Unknown, complete part 3]
End Reward: ???

Memorial park is a rather pleasant part of the campus, set aside at the end of World War II to honor the men and woman of the school who'd volunteered for service as both members of the military and civilian scientists. Spring has brought forth sprays of flowers, and the artistic placement of trees and low walls make your walk feel both soothing and secluded. The butterflies are out in force, flitting from flower to flower in quick flurries of brilliant color.

Past a blind turn, resting on a memorial pillar covered in morning glory vines, is a rather striking butterfly. It's wings are more than just vibrant, they're glittering and metallic. You lean closer, inspecting the creature. Every part of its body is not just metallic, but actually metal. It's eyes seem to be chunks of colored glass, its legs hinged wires, and its body is a set of intricately connected metal plates. Within its abdomen you can see a system of intricately connected clockwork gears, spinning rapidly and emitting a faint ticking sound.

The metal butterfly flutters its wings experimentally, seemingly preparing to take flight, which forces you into a decision. Do you let it fly on its way, or do you try and catch it? Careful, those metal wings look dangerously sharp...

Stan
Interaction Card: A Strong Drink ---> Pickpocket due to rough neighborhood
Type: Challenge/Dud
Effect: Lose A Little Money
Challenge: If your Choose to fight, enemy has 4 hp and 2 might. Non-serious fight. Enemy will surrender at 1 hp.
-Victory: Gain 1 might, 1 savvy, regain lost money.

You decide to start this semester off right, specifically, you decide to start this semester off in bar. The Dog is a fairly typical college down bar, poorly lit, intentionally a little on the dingy side, populated by fake IDs, and with a live band that sounded a helluva a lot better when you were drunk.

You'd just wanted to have a drink, maybe pick up a chick, but that apparently wasn't in the cards. A slight tug at your pocket is all the warning you get before you wallet is efficiently liberated from your pants. You spin in the barstool, catching a glimpse of a man in a hoody dashing for the door.

Huh. Okay, you can either pursue and try to catch up with him, or you can finish your drink and complain about how horrible this semester is to the nearest sympathetic looking girl.

Rylie
Interaction Card: The Old Man
Type: Challenge
Extra: None
Challenge: Advanced Knowledge OR Standard Savvy
-Pass: Gain 1 Savvy and 1 Knowledge. IF you made a knowledge check, draw an action card.
-Fail: None
-Crit-Fail: Your speed is reduced by 2 next round.

The problem with old, mostly defunct, newspapers, is that they are principally populated by old, mostly defunct, men.  Men with far more stories than good sense about when a conversation should logically end. Somewhere in the middle of poking through the old Newspaper, you get cornered by one such old man who takes your interest in the building to mean you want to hear every single day of its history since he started work there in the 40s.

There is a kernel of something interesting in his ramblings, but you have to work so very hard not to fall asleep...

Spoiler: MAP (click to show/hide)

---
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6