Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarven defenses  (Read 377 times)

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarven defenses
« on: April 27, 2017, 10:58:28 am »

So, I got my first large goblin invasion for this fort.  I have a serpentine side path dug out from the main path into my fort, with drawbridges and fortifications on the z level above.  Diagonal pathing is walled/fortified off too.  Somehow, a goblin got through the fortifications to attack my marksdwarves.  I'm guessing through the dodge mechanic?

Could a goblin climb a raised drawbridge, and then between a floor (adjacent and above the bridge) and a fortification (directly above the bridge)?

Could he have gotten there when the drawbridge raised with him standing on it?

I really didn't count on this.  How do I prevent this in the future?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:28:50 pm by Mathalor »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarven defenses
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 02:07:19 pm »

Dodging through fortifications (and walls) is a know issue, so that's my main suspect.
Drawbridges cannot be climbed, but if there's no floor above it fliers can get in through a diagonal dive, but goblins are poor fliers, and you have a floor in the form of the bottom of the fortification.
Creatures standing on a drawbridge that's raised are tossed, and could toss it inside, but mostly they seem to end up on the floor injured where the drawbridge was (creatures on the "hinge" can be atom smashed when the bridge is raised).

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 02:26:11 pm »

It might have to do with the positioning of your defenses.  The wiki has a bit of a primer here on where something can and cannot climb:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Climber#Climbing_safety

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 03:46:15 pm »

Yeah, the whole thing is carved or constructed underground, and the goblin shouldn't have had a way in, unless the bridge raising beneath him somehow crammed him between a floor and a fortification above him, or some weird dodge mechanic.

Argh

Edit:  after reading through that, I might have to redesign.  Goblins can jump through fortifications!?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 03:51:00 pm by Mathalor »

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 06:58:47 pm »

Well, a bridge raising beneath something will tend to "throw" that thing in the direction the bridge raised.  It is possible the goblin got chucked over whatever defenses you hand and did a "climb" (i.e. it grabbed onto something) while flying through the air.  Or it just clipped through your defenses when it went rapidly airborne, in which case it is a legitimate bug. 

reynoldsj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 08:09:21 pm »

I had a similar issue with what appeared to be a teleporting titan.  I'd left my drawbridge open, inviting the thing to walk into my military.  Instead it just paced back and forth in my moat.  Then suddenly, it was a couple levels down in my fort, killing my animals.  Probably a bug.