Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236538 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1005 on: April 21, 2018, 01:21:24 pm »

I'm liking this already.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1006 on: April 28, 2018, 03:38:06 pm »

When the morning came, Luki resumed her walk up north. Unlike yesterday's travel, she had to walk on the hills, devoid of civilization. The west side of the interior sea is probably the most populated region in the Land of Oak, and probably in Minbazkar as a whole. Civilization as we know it is born in this subcontinent, and had adapted to its temperate climate - it is so beaming with life that finding a place still untouched by the hand of men, dwarves or elves is a very rare sight by now.

Those hills exert no attraction over anyone - its soil is improper for agriculture, does not bear enough water to allow vegetation to grow in the way it does to the western shore, and he clay ground and fragile rocks that lay under the dirt harbor neither metal nor gem - as a result, neither human, elves nor dwarves saw fit to colonize this area.

Civilization grew organically - it was rare, in 142, that a royal decree decided the construction of a village or of a fort - for most powers in Minbazkar, this was the prerogative of the kings vassals. Everyone understood that it would be less costly to wage war against their neighbours for the control of the more valuable piece of land than to try and transform the hills so they can sustain sentient life.

In retrospective, maybe paying the initial cost of irrigating the hills would be worth it - as long as the Dune of Thunder remains wild, the only practicable road linking the southern settlements to the rest of the kingdom can be closed on a whim not only by the elves of Emepeaye, but also, further in the mountain, by the dwarves of Nishthiz. And if the kingdom's relations were good, the war they currently waged on one another was pretty much preventing safe travel.

If we can colonize the Enchanted Swamp, thought Luki, surely those sandy hills are not so big of a deal. Maybe she could interest the queen with such a project in the future.

It is not the lack of water that made this road hardly practicable, but to the contrary, it's overabundance With a lot of rivers and no bridge to cross any of them and no reliable map to navigate through the watery maze they formed,the travel is made much longer, and much harder - so much in fact, that she just found her way out of the hills when the sky turned red.

Far from human civilization and desperate for a shelter - as the darkness devours without trace the lone travellers after nightfall - she had no choice but to ask for asilum in a little dwarven hillock.

This dwarven equivalent of a small hamlet was inhabited by sky dwarves - or as they call themselves, dwarves of Desor Uzol. Those dwarves dress in blue and white, their symbol is an image with two clouds, and they have a habit of breading their facial hair, while they tie their hair in a ponytail. Desor Uzol and Mong Kima are still at war - an unpopular decision for which the great general Tis, dead a few years ago is blamed for. Testimonies from soldiers sent to lay siege on their fortress confirmed it was indeed a war of larceny - Tis finding no value in the dwarven holdings, preferring to impose a tribute upon them - tribute that was on multiple occasions contested in blood.

While the war cost the life of a great number of people in both sides, it also provided the kingdom with a steady income of weapon grade metals, of which they are always in short supply.

For half a decade however, no attack has been carried out by either camp, so much so that it can be said that the war unofficially ended. While a reignition of the conflict might still occur, men and dwarves now live in peace - waiting for their respective rulers to officialize the end of their conflict.

Luki would be granted shelter without any protest - if, of course, animosity and suspiscion still exist between pearlites and sky dwarves, it is not to the point either of them would refuse shelter from the darkness to a lone traveller.

She spent an unconfortable night in the hillocks, and would be ready to rejoin civilization by the morning.

Guys, I'm super sorry it takes time, and there's not so much to discuss... I'm on a big project right now, this takes a lot of my time, and right now my main concern with Mong Kima is to set the universe, so people understand what is going on, how people relate to each others, and how the conflicts between different powers shape the landscape and the story to come. Be super assured I'm working on it, after this interlude chapter, there will be a bunch of events I have to cover. And when all of that is done, we'll resume fortress building.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 12:29:49 am by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 28, 2018, 04:50:39 pm »

Thank you. For taking time out of your day to give us this story, I thank you.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1008 on: April 28, 2018, 06:45:23 pm »

lol no need to thank me, I'm doing it because I want to. I want to keep this going, and I would like to go faster. But since I'm here for a very long run, I think that now is (especially with hindsight of what's coming next) a good time to present the wider world and its actors, as something elses that just characters on a ASCII board

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 28, 2018, 08:24:42 pm »

Mate, don't worry about how long anything takes. We're all here, just waiting for the next update. We appreciate it, no matter how long it takes.

Just don't abandon it without telling us. :P
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 29, 2018, 08:40:22 pm »

Yay, story!  I'm not completely sure what's happening in the last illustration: is it a dwarf attempting to enforce their cultural standards for hairstyle on our hero's hair?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1011 on: April 29, 2018, 08:58:03 pm »

Oh no, it's just raining outside, dwarven hamlets are dirty as all hell, so staying wet inside is a good recipy to get very sick. When DF can emulate illnesses, Luki will thank that dwarf

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 09, 2018, 03:57:18 pm »

PTW
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1013 on: May 25, 2018, 10:00:28 am »

Sorry for stalling the rest of this short and peaceful trip. I'm preparing something huge, and it takes very, very long. Theres a couple of game changing events happening after that, plus a couple of substories I want to write and draw. Doing it properly takes far more effort than I'm used to - some 30-40 comic pages to make, and I've made 13 so far. After Luki's trip, I'll start releasing them with the usual written context. And when it is done (it will), we will be ready to start a new fortress.

There was some good and light hearted stuff happening, but the big event is...quite horrible to put it mildly.

But to make up for my (apparent) inactivity, have an improved version of the map, made from exported raws, and a quick chill picture of Idem, one of the knights of Thomocemir.

Next (and last) update for that mini chapter this week end, probably tomorrow. When it's done, we move on to world events (that will take time, be warned), and we start the fortress after all that. Also (good and happy) stuff happened to the people of Watershield, and I'll tell you everything I have next update

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 25, 2018, 03:58:52 pm »

If you need help with anything let us know. This story is awesome, and if there is anything I can do to help you tell it, I will.  8)
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1015 on: May 28, 2018, 06:48:54 am »

I really appreciate the offer. If you do help me, I'll have to find a way to pay you somehow (free comissions?), and I'll have to find something for you to do. Right now I'm working on the story of the nation of pearls between searly autumn and late winter 142, and theres quite a lot of events to cover and I don't see how I can get help since I'm going for a full comic form... but if you feel like legend digging and find stories worthy to tell, for exemple that could work. If you want to make an adventurer and record your adventures, we can do that aswell but I'll ask you to keep in close contact with me as relinquishing editorial control is not something I'll ever do again :D

The rest of the travel was not as erratic as the first days. By following the hills that borders the interior sea, Luki could find pathways caravan dirt trails that would make for a decent road. Make-do was the master word of travels in the Land of Oak - under the suspiscious eye of the various elven tribes that inhabit the region, the forests she had to cross were mostly untouched by man and formed thick jungles in which the travellers had to learn to orient themselves in.

The nothern side of the interior sea especially was the dread of the kingdom's merchant guild - as it was not only plagued by the bandits of the Doomed Dells - that Luki herself pacified a decade ago, but who remain a regional wild card with unpredictible behavior, but also fell under the regional control of the elves of Wulemaapasi.

The bandits of the Doomed Dells are under the leadership of an elf by the name of Ceca and are comprised mostly of nothern goblins of the Asngek Stozu kingdom. They are understood to be loyal to their homeland, but relationship with Asngek Stozu is relatively peaceful. Since they are in a war to the death with the blue skinned goblins of Osme, Mong Kima sees them as objective allies in their conflict.

However, the watcheful elven eye of Wulemaapasi is not as omniscient as people make it to be. A lone traveller - or a small group of travellers - can, if they walk at a steady pace, cross their territory and go without a fight. When Luki undertook the task of crossing their forest, it was originally her plan.

However, as she walked through the woods, she saw two elves resting near a small pond. Those were unmistakably not Wulemaapasi elves - whose skin has shades of green and whose hairs are of the color of their tree's foliage. Copper skin, golden eyes and silver hairs - those were definitely Pilalene elves.

What could Pilalene elves do so remote from their own lands, far into the western coast, she had to find out. She sneaked behind them, and proceeded to a long interrogation.

Apparently, Pilalene sends its people on trips around the world quite regularly. Those two sworn they were on their way to their capitale of Weakenroots, and were not here to cause trouble. Their presence so close of pearlite settlements was a source of worry, but Luki decided it was no ground to exert violence upon them. But definitely, it was to keep in mind - the war was made inactive for a long time, but peace has still to be signed and there is no telling of what their leadership was planning.

Luki continued her travel through the forest. If she hurried, she could rejoin the cities of Edetledir in less than two days. After that, it would be only a short trip left to Thomocemir- her final destination.

Meanwhile, in Thomocemir :

• Sirris, Donu and a mutual friend went on a trip to the southern settlements, following the exact same road as Luki did, in the opposite dirrection. Luki probably missed the group by a few days. They are currently in Opencraft, deep in the south. At their arrival, Sirris and her friend married.
• Duslud married a girl from Imic's regiment, a girl his age (15) called Nemen. She is the daughter of the farmer Rethi-eli, who died a few years ago, and the sister of Digo and Slada.

• Imic married a farmer by the name of Dacap. However it might not be a happy marriage since his wife is romantically involved with another man.
• Digo, Onget and Ser also decided to travel together and went to Tetzobsha in order to study.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:12:08 am by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 28, 2018, 08:42:11 am »

Interesting.
Takes notes
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 28, 2018, 10:07:37 am »

(Wait, Cathar, what happened to me? And the old fort? Must have missed it)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1018 on: May 28, 2018, 11:33:28 am »

The first post has been updated with a very loose summary of everything canon in the story. The fort (Thomocemir/Watershield) is still going on, but outside my direct control from now on). Asin is still alive and keeps on bookkeeping. His children are growing up slowly but surely, they are as follow :

• Idem, 18 years old, master axewoman, married to Erod
• Dengusa, 15 years old, metal crafter
• Uzu, 12 years old, swordman
• Enthep, 8 years old
• Are, 5 years old
• Issha, 2 years old

Asin himself is 31 years old. His wife died one or two years ago

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 28, 2018, 11:40:35 am »

(That's good)
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 111