Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 235918 times)

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1065 on: August 10, 2018, 03:20:17 pm »

I just found this. I'm still quite inactive on Bay12 but I have to say I'm amazed. I've read all 70 pages. Cathar. You are a freaking god. I'm kinda interested to see if anything interesting is happenng on those islands, though.
GENERATION 29
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1066 on: August 10, 2018, 04:54:06 pm »

Oh thank you :') I'm just a second grade artist who gets attached to characters easily and wants to record everything...But I'm very happy if you enjoyed the read ! This is not dead, I'm still working on it. When I'm done with the comic, we'll probably start a new fortress

The islands, you mean the southern continents? That might need to take the backseat for an extended period of time, as the country is more and more locked into a war for its survival. But yeah, the little we saw about them was really interesting (with their mercenary king and their hordes of night creatures), so in the (far) future we'll have people explore those parts and establish diplomatic relations with the locals. I'm a bit worried about opening a new front with the local goblins tho, but we'll see : first we need to finish our wars at home

Shalax

• Bay Watcher
  • Learning To Dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: August 10, 2018, 05:23:20 pm »

Oh thank you :') I'm just a second grade artist who gets attached to characters easily and wants to record everything...But I'm very happy if you enjoyed the read ! This is not dead, I'm still working on it. When I'm done with the comic, we'll probably start a new fortress

The islands, you mean the southern continents? That might need to take the backseat for an extended period of time, as the country is more and more locked into a war for its survival. But yeah, the little we saw about them was really interesting (with their mercenary king and their hordes of night creatures), so in the (far) future we'll have people explore those parts and establish diplomatic relations with the locals. I'm a bit worried about opening a new front with the local goblins tho, but we'll see : first we need to finish our wars at home
If i wasn't so hopeless at learning how to dorf, I'd offer to try and set up a fort there on my own and report how I do. I do love island forts, but then again, my usual playstyle is to seal off caves whenever i encounter them in any game and just dig my own way
Edit: Ignore me. I ramble. Sorry
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:12:29 pm by Shalax »
GENERATION 29
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1068 on: August 10, 2018, 10:05:14 pm »

lol what, no problem ^^
I don't share the save around because it does not produce satisfying results to me (or at least, not now), but if you want to get involved in a community effort you can join the "populate the earth" thread, this is essencially the same thing but with one familiar map.

One of my goal was to try and show that a normal, absolutely mundane world generated in dwarf fortress has some magic in it, provided one tries to look for it. There is absolutely nothing special about my world, really. If I could demonstrate that at least to some people, I'm very happy

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1069 on: October 16, 2018, 04:23:52 pm »

Alright, after blood and sweat, here we are again for the second quarter of that story that definitely takes too much time, but which is also allowing me to improve and explore the universe on a more grounded level than just legend diving, brace.

Despite the skirmish against Xupgasbodod gang and similar low scale conflicts, the central settlements are relatively isolated from the tumult that strikes both sides of the kingdom. While seemingly caught between a rock and a hard place, between the elven kingdom of Pilalene fighting against the fort of Tetzobsha and the empire of Osme invading the whole eastern region and only suffering defeat by the hands of the knights of Thomocemir, the farmlands to the west of the interior sea were left totally untouched by the war.

Life went on as usual and should a man walk in the streets of Lemhuhqihu in this fall of year 142, he would never have guessed that the kingdom of Kima was fighting, in this very moment, the worst wars of its history.

Altho for Islas, that confrontation with the goblins of Xupgasbodod was a kind of a revelation. Until now, he was quite content with looting the camps that were abandonned as a result of the massive repression from Tetzobsha, which happened in year 130. But as the goods of those camps started to run dry, and now conscient of his personal skills, the man decided to follow a lead and move on more dangerous target.

In year 141, during the expansion of the Osme Empire, the dwarven city of Vucartogum - of the dwarven kingdom of Kodsakzul, an ally of Mong Kima- was lay down in ruins. Dwarves were already renowed for their craftmanship and more importantly, for their iron whose price per pound was higher than gold. With dwarven artefacts in hand, Islas would never have to worry about poverty anymore in the village of Lemhuhqihu.

September 13 of year 143, he left Lemhuhqihu once again to start his journey alongside the shores of the interior sea.

As we saw earlier while following Luki, as she was travelling along the same path, there are no human town on the hilly landscapes of the northern shore, as the territory is occupied by the -somewhat- peaceful dwarves of Dezor Uzol, colloquially nicknamed "sky dwarves" for their blue clothes and their flag representing two clouds.

Relationship between the kingdom of Kima and the kingdom of Dezor Uzol had always been tense, especially since the marshall Tis (Ino has mercy on his soul) declared that the sky dwarves would have to pay tribute in metal, and send armed perceptors to collect it, often resulting in violent fights, and sometimes in all out battles. Since the old marshall died, the situation seems to stabilize, but animosity remains between the two kingdoms.

Luckily, drunken dwarves do not have long term memory.

"Luckily" is of course a figure of speech.
Erith was a kind of a dwarf that would litterally never stop talking. Even tho he spent the best part of his 66 years drinking in the mound, and could sum up his whole life in about two sentences, he never seemed to come short of stories to tell, of values to argue about or anecdotes to complain about.

Islas was, at this point, not used to talk a lot. He tried to act dismissively, and Erith would not be deterred. One conversation was not even closed that he would initiate another one, and the looter was trapped between a feeling of surprize and extreme irritation.

However, as he saw the value of a companion, more against the darkness lurking at night than for the conversation, he decided to go with it for the time being. They walked together a couple of days, and soon arrived to Asuciro castle, property of Lady Dilol and temporary home of the royal court.

The girl with the red hairs, unbeknown to him and with absolutely no distinctive marks of her function, was actually the new general of the kingdom since Tis' death - Ener, Zothoabo's sister.

Uquur in the other hand, was a celebrity in the kingdom. Trained by Commander Stipoth of Tetzobsha, and went on to form, under the leadership of Pathril Omaaloc, the knights of Thomocemir, she was now at the head of the guild of traders of the nation of pearl.

Under the rule of Queen Uzu, the two women were at the center of the military and economic power of the country.

(Franckly I don't know why this happened, but it happened... Uquur didn't killed either Erith nor Islas. Erith and the dog just...went at each other)

After....that happened, the rag tag team of two continued its journey toward the underground city of Vucartogum. Osme was known to destroy everything in its path like a band of hungry locusts, so it stood to reason the conquered dwarven city would be nothing more, two years after its conquest, than a pile of abandonned ruins.

The opposite was true. Vucartogum was extremely lively, its market full and it's aboveground tavern occupied...and apparently, it's militia even had time to reconstitute itself into a sizeable force.
Islas was prepared for the worse, and the worse pretty much happened.

A couple bodies hit the floor. Luckily for the two travellers, the militia was not manned by real soldiers and they managed to escape alive. Vucartogum would not be looted today, and its riches will remain in the hands of the Osme Empire.
But more importantly, they had a sight into a fortress controlled by the empire, and what they discovered was very far from what they were expecting. They imagined dead bodies and a desolated city, and it turned out that under Osme rule, business went as usual for its population.

Empty handed, they would have to report and assess their next move. Erith arm was the most urgent priority ; and thanks Ino, the nearest pearlite city was actually famed, among other things, for its hospital.

And that is it for now. We're halway through my hiatus, I have some two three events I want to cover still. We're hitting watershield again next update and I want a "slice of life" segment, so if any of the previously dorfed people wants to cameo or do some small action, suggestions are open.

And when the story finally ends (in spring 143), we'll start a new fort and resume the usual activity
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:53:00 pm by Cathar »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: October 17, 2018, 02:45:12 am »

'I thought you were a prince in exile or some shit'

That dwarf got his story tropes right, someone should introduce him to visual novels :P
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1071 on: October 17, 2018, 06:35:31 am »

This is the perfect recipy to create some sort of Hatoful No Boyfriend with dwarves.
"You are stranded with skinny tall people in a swamp fort whose walls are made of rusting copper, and where children are born without beard. Can you survive the hard life in the marshes and find true love ?" Perfect pitch for a DF dating sim

Also without too much spoilers, I'll need Haspen to appear in chapter 3, as he will become critically important in chapter 4, so if you have any suggestions or ideas, go wild

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: October 17, 2018, 06:54:38 am »

He got even fatter because all the bookkeeping increase means he had to stay at the desk (and take meals there) much, much more often ;v
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: October 17, 2018, 12:53:48 pm »

let me know if anything happens with Zothoabo or the surviving members of his family. Loving the comic so far.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: October 17, 2018, 03:40:53 pm »

I love the art of the Hillock. I love the art of the fortress, too. I really like Erith, too. He’s a bit of a lancer to Islas.
In fact, I love everything. I can’t believe the amoutn of detail put into this. Thank you Cathar, thank you.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1075 on: October 17, 2018, 04:02:40 pm »

I love the art of the Hillock. I love the art of the fortress, too. I really like Erith, too. He’s a bit of a lancer to Islas.
In fact, I love everything. I can’t believe the amoutn of detail put into this. Thank you Cathar, thank you.

If you guys like this, it's reward enough for me. Thanks a lot for reading !

He got even fatter because all the bookkeeping increase means he had to stay at the desk (and take meals there) much, much more often ;v

So, I checked on Haspen, and ehm...Looks like he went to the threadmill because he lost some serious fat. But I'll have a meal-at-home scene, probably will open the next chapter on it

let me know if anything happens with Zothoabo or the surviving members of his family. Loving the comic so far.

Well, Donu started to travel, Duslud married, Zhoto is still trying to heal people. And we're bringing a wounded dwarf so he'll appear for sure. Nothing of note really happened, but as soon as some does, I'll tell you for sure

Also I took the liberty to redraw some concept art for the next episode, since some character have aged, and they all re-geared since I retired the fort. More on the way, as I want to chill a bit before attacking the next 25 pages

(Ghorax being Haspen's elder daughter)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: October 17, 2018, 04:25:40 pm »

Is that tigerskin coat?

Obvs, someone in charge got clonked in the head and their duties were delegated elsewhere, for my guy sure looks more bossy than I remember o:
SigFlags!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1077 on: October 17, 2018, 04:31:00 pm »

That's expected to be bossy when you're the boss !
And yeah. Leopard skin. Probably comes from the war in the west against Pilalene who uses Leos in battle

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: October 17, 2018, 04:39:36 pm »

Coool.

Get to drawing, I wanna see it! :3
SigFlags!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: October 18, 2018, 01:34:15 am »

Imic looks badass in the robes. Ready to stab Haspen for sending him kitchen knives instead of swords too many times.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 111