Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236988 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1125 on: July 18, 2019, 04:22:10 am »

Alright, here goes (I haven't been to bed in some time, so bear with me.)

Bastsan: Rather than the underground, he is a god of commerce, but focuses on the raw aspects of it. Wood and food are abundant and strictly speaking, worthless in a DF world unless tended to by expert chefs and craftsmen. But precious gems have value due to rarity, and minerals such as iron, gold, and silver ore have value in utility. A fortress builds its wealth on the minerals it has access to - a town or fortress with naught but copper and lead is going to have to work much harder than one blessed with iron and gold to generate the same level of prosperity without resorting to prepared meal barrels, if you'll pardon the meta-ness of this.

Thunder comes with storms, and bad weather makes for poor trade, as harsh winds and rain can make wagons sink or lose traction or batter apart vessels large and small.

Gogol: With suicide comes war (as veterans off themselves at disproportionate rates to the general populace,) death, sacrifice, and chaos. In this circumstance, Gogol can be interpreted as a a god of war, but a defensive one - the most ardent followers of Gogol "killing themselves" so they may better protect their countrymen and carry out the will of the crown by way of military training and indoctrination. As such, Gogol probably also holds dominion over those other aspects, with suicide being given a creative interpretation - and this creative interpretation has lead to his common perception as holding dominion primarily over suicide, despite being the de facto god of so much else.

However, these are all still heavily negative, so it's likely only professional soldiers and their families give him any serious consideration in their spiritual affairs, and some may even hold foreign mercenaries in somewhat low regard, believing they should return to thier own countries, not become embroiled in the affairs of the the pearlites.

Sarrak's take can also mesh with this fairly well.

Edri: Association of labor, crafts, and healing likely stems from the shepherds who had to tend their injured flocks and families themselves, and those flocks providing much needed thread and cloth for mending the wounded. If you didn't have a surgeon to fix the wounded, then the frontier folk would turn to the people who tended the sheep, llamas, and alpacas, or to the weavers and tailors, since they were the next closest jobs associated with the most vital of medical supplies, thread and cloth.

Thus, the labors of healing, weaving, clothesmaking, and wool production become inextricably linked in the minds of the pearlites.

Pasmug: This is another one that requires some creative interpretation, but Pasmug wields jealousy as a force of self-betterment, and by extension the betterment of the nation. If you're jealous of what your neighbor has, you must either work harder, or accept it, and by working harder you not only better yourself, but you better your own home and family as well, as your increased skills in whatever you do, means work is done faster, and goods are produced with greater quality, abundance, or just plain haste, and that's good for everyone. Besides, my observations indicate people tend to value skilled workmen over  haulers and rookies.  ;)

Envy may be a deadly sin, but it needn't always lead to destructive practices.

Sabu: Justice often has little to do with fighting, but it could have something to do with ensuring things are kept in fair balance - you overfish, you lose a food supply. You don't enforce the law, you lose people to migration or riots. It's an odd combo though, but that fishermen and sailors pay homage to him is probably a good assumption, and may even do so in equal measure to Bastsan, praying to one that the fish are plentiful (and don't try to kill them,) and the other for safety in storms during crossings of the blue.

Ino: I'm unsure what to really do here. Oaths and loyalty don't really seem to jive well with agriculture, where with fishing and justice one can take an angle of maintaining balance.

EDIT: Some of them required that creative interpretation, and I'm fairly sleep deprived, but I hope they don't sound like the ravings of a mad man.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 18, 2019, 05:42:32 am »

I have to say I laughed.

You're easily stressed and worried that depression will take you.

You also worship the god of suicide.

Such a goth.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 18, 2019, 05:50:24 am »

I'm not worried, I'm certain. Rain and combat will kill Hauben, but it'll be the process of doing my job that kills me, not enemy spears and arrows.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 18, 2019, 07:37:55 am »

I like my guy, he believes that peace is one of the highest values, however he enjoys a good fistfight as long as there are no hard feelings attached. What a guy.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 18, 2019, 09:48:10 am »

I like mine too. There are bits in there that remind me of myself, though obviously not all of it.

Also, I'm the boss of y'all. That's a plus.

Also, I must say (even though they're obviously rough sketches) the artwork for the characters is spot-on. Well done, Cathar.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 18, 2019, 02:53:36 pm »

I like Bannic. In some ways he reminds me of myself, and in others he doesn’t. Going by the interpretations of Gogol’s worship as a death-through-combat God... I mean, cooking is kind of combat. Especially when the people start to complain. I mean, what do people really think we carry so many knives for?
Come to think of it, he might be sending prayers to the souls of food critics who meet him.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 18, 2019, 03:23:20 pm »

Meat comes three ways after all - through the hunt, through the warrior, or through the pasture, and two of them are a tad more dangerous than the last.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 18, 2019, 03:42:25 pm »

That’s deep.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 18, 2019, 04:33:27 pm »

Cooklady that has patron deity of crafts and heals, has stubborn-ish personality and considers fancy stuff meh?

She will become one of those loud cussing elderly grandmas spoiling local orphans with candy when she gets old, I think.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 19, 2019, 03:24:45 pm »

So have those last 25 pages of little history, then we'll go back to the big, real, uppercase History.

Yay!  Wow!  Woo!  Wonderful storytelling, totally worth the wait.  I follow these things called "webcomics," see, and they are known for these things called "hiatuses."  The ones who post again are the ones most appreciated.

Though I wonder about your statement that this is "little history"; as others have said, you put so much of the big story into a jaunt through adventurer mode.  I honestly can't tell when your descriptions came from player-caused events versus the game's own advancements.  To find the game-generated events worth mentioning, can you tell me (someone who hasn't done nearly as much diving) how you search for "the interesting stuff"?

. . . So on the top right we have that young husband who now, we see, miraculously survived being bitten in the face by evil.  And you've drawn so many people that I can hardly remember which ones the rest are.  Any help?

so maybe that is the form that our fortress will take - a fortified inn on a bridge.

Yay yay yay do it!  A pity I didn't get in on time.  Maybe you could name a cat after me.

For those of us who are losing track of who each character is (see question about image, above), any chance that these players could each adopt some blatant visual cue or unique adornment (if they don't already have one)?

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 19, 2019, 10:43:39 pm »

This is late, but holy jesus, Cathar your art rocks!
Been lurking for years on this forum because of your comics. (+the littlest cheesemaker, and loosing is fun!)

-Ooooh, my human's a cutie!!

But she sure seems to have a lot of inner conflicts;

She is very friendly and always tries to say nice things to others, and she is conflicted by her nature since she would ideally prefer more strife in her life.

She has a noticeable lack of perseverance, and she finds this troubling, since she values perseverance.

She prefers that everyone live as harmoniously as possible, though she is troubled by her own nature as she prefers discord and debate at a more abstract level.

This is going to be interesting!  : )

P.S. When she's bored, She  constantly rolls her eyes.  She runs her fingers through her hair when she's bored.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 20, 2019, 01:33:07 am »

Don't suppose there's a hint as to what our primary weapon and armor metal on site is, is there? I'd just like to know because I'd like to make an armored depiction of my guy (even if for all I know buzzards will drive him insane with constant "joined an existing conflict" thoughts or he might fall in the river and drown a week in.)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1137 on: July 20, 2019, 06:10:35 am »

So there's a lot of things :

@Splint : First of, the work on our pantheon seems super cool ; I'd also add that Gogol may be the god of ehm ; "accepting your own mortality" more than outright killing self. When you think about it, every creature that gets an infinite lifespan becomes evil in the process. Elves, goblins, vampires, necromancers... Really, by accepting mortality, one prevents himself from becoming a monster. Moreover, wars have already been fought over the secret of life and death in Minbazkar. Gogol is the god that insures that pearlites remain mortals.

For the metals found on site, I don't know yet. Actually the aquifer may prevent us from mining too deep. If that is the case we'll have to do with leather and trade for weapon grade metals. That's okay tho ; we'll do a lot of trade in that fort

@Sir Knight : From left to right, the characters are

Osplek : Islas' "sister" who put a roof over his head for many years. She's a cook and a metalcrafter. Her house is located to the far west of Lemhuhqihu village
Bemta : A farmer who rescued Islas after the skirmish over Gicastenna.
Dengusa : Well I believe I don't have to introduce that one. Thomocemir's only weaponsmith, son of Asin, elder brother of Uzu
Sula : A man of very reductive size with no skill whatsoever who fled his home when he learnt Pilalene was marching over his city. When Pilalene's army was stopped, he had regrets and decided to come back to his wife.

Also don't worry ! Not only there's a chance Dengusa comes to our new fort, but we'll have migrants eitherway

@Hakuryuvision

I'm jumping over in the room right now. I love your style so much ; your art rocks even more than mine, thanks a lot for the sketch ><

I'm preparing a little introduction for our fort, first post should be coming Monday or Thuesday. Also guys don't worry, compared to Thomocemir, this fort will be much, much safer. We're in the middle of the land, far from the borders, we have two seasonned warriors and the climate should be alright. I have very good faith in our chances to survive !

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 20, 2019, 06:15:27 am »

"I have good faith in our chances to survive!" - And then someone falls in the river and drowns and a tree falls on somebody and kills them, driving the rest insane via dead body and dead friend grief, with the drowner causing rotten friend grief as well.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 20, 2019, 12:58:37 pm »

@Sir Knight : From left to right, the characters are

Osplek : Islas' "sister" who put a roof over his head for many years. She's a cook and a metalcrafter. Her house is located to the far west of Lemhuhqihu village
Bemta : A farmer who rescued Islas after the skirmish over Gicastenna.
Dengusa : Well I believe I don't have to introduce that one. Thomocemir's only weaponsmith, son of Asin, elder brother of Uzu
Sula : A man of very reductive size with no skill whatsoever who fled his home when he learnt Pilalene was marching over his city. When Pilalene's army was stopped, he had regrets and decided to come back to his wife.

Also don't worry ! Not only there's a chance Dengusa comes to our new fort, but we'll have migrants eitherway

Here I learn how few times some people are named in the text, as the "Search this topic" feature won't work on images!  Yes, though, I remember his sister from re-reading the other day.  Bemta is mentioned in a search: assuming "Animal Trainer" is the right profession.  (I can't find actual comic pages with him.)  Yay, Dengusa!  Also, I liked the idea of the diminutive husband and wife.  It felt like we had discovered Hobbit Theatre.

And I don't know the statistical likelihood of immigration, so I wasn't holding out hope for it.  I really, really, should play some more fortresses and see how it looks.

Also guys don't worry, compared to Thomocemir, this fort will be much, much safer.

. . . You say this like we came to this game looking for safety.  Now I expect accidental spire-breaches.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 111