Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 230670 times)

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1200 on: September 10, 2019, 09:37:08 am »

There's no need to apologize for a slow update.
I think i speak for most of us when i say slow but good updated stories are much more enjoyable than rushed ones!
Take all the time you need! (The most important thing is that YOU are having fun, if you ask me.)

Having the caves open and ready to explore (story-wise) sounds exciting, but... yeah, you mentioned there aren't many fighters around, right? And even if there were any, one web-slinging FB and it's over. (i've never succesfuly defeated one in combat EVER. The only way for me to deal with those is trapping/drowning/dropping stuff on them.)

Then again, it would make most sense for the humans to seal the place up. The unknown terrors from the deep already put a ton of stress on your people.

In any case, i'd say Splint's idea is good; secure the HELL out of the entrance. Be as vigilant about it as possible; the humans would be after fighting a god of old.

The corpse of the old god – Ngethac the Sinful Hex – was promtly butchered to avoid the rot, and seeing his flesh was edible, he made of the Aconilun the first human group to ever consume the flesh of a god.

That... that should be in your sig from now on.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:39:50 am by HakuryuVision »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 10, 2019, 09:55:44 am »

The corpse of the old god – Ngethac the Sinful Hex – was promtly butchered to avoid the rot, and seeing his flesh was edible, he made of the Aconilun the first human group to ever consume the flesh of a god.

That... that should be in your sig from now on.

I won't lie, that's pretty metal and badass thing to do. All hail Mong Kima, Devourers of Divine Flesh~!
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 10, 2019, 09:57:06 am »

If Cathar doesn't take it, I will. :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1203 on: September 10, 2019, 10:15:15 am »

I mean I'd find that odd to sig myself lol. Tho... I mean why not eat it? It's dead, and we usually make crafts of forgotten beasts. Not eating it would almost be impolite ; it'd be like killing a deer and leaving it on the roadside. Totally unthinkable. We made it roast in spelt beer and it was delicious (no one complained)

Also don't worry, I'm having fun. Dwarf fortress...is a lot of fun.

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 12, 2019, 07:44:29 am »

I mean I'd find that odd to sig myself lol. Tho... I mean why not eat it? It's dead, and we usually make crafts of forgotten beasts. Not eating it would almost be impolite ; it'd be like killing a deer and leaving it on the roadside. Totally unthinkable. We made it roast in spelt beer and it was delicious (no one complained)

Also don't worry, I'm having fun. Dwarf fortress...is a lot of fun.
I love how casual you're being about the whole 'eating-a-god' situation.  ;D

Visiting traveller: 'YOU ATE A WHAT!?'
Aconilum member:'Yupp. Tasted like crab.'

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: September 12, 2019, 05:57:20 pm »

Yeah, I've enjoyed feeding my fortress from the meat of an arachnid Forgotten Beast.  The fact that scorpions and spiders have no meat . . . well, as long as we're ignoring the cube/square law, we can overlook everything else about giant monster anatomy, right?

Anyway.  Yay, grandparents arrive!

Also exciting is the bridge coming into existence.

And, come on: sealing up the underground completely?  The fungal growths have arisen in cellars, so from a storytelling perspective at least the underground will insist on staying in play.  How is the community's ranged combat ability?  I seem to recall it's minimal, but that's how I've typically survived the more challenging assaults.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1206 on: September 18, 2019, 11:34:24 am »

Aside of that, I...have a lot of happening to describe for those past seasons and may need some more hours to put everything in order. Like...a lot of things happened, some good, some bad, but all sort of important. Update coming quite soon tho

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: September 18, 2019, 11:43:17 am »

We're all dead aren't we :)
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 18, 2019, 11:49:28 am »

Gram stands, one foot atop the skulls of his erstwhile friends, and surveys a barren and blistered landscape. In the distance, a carrion crow circles. On the water, the protuberant exoskeleton of a bridge glows with flames.

Gram sighs and shakes his head.

What? Of course my character is the sole survivor. He's the best human obvs.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 19, 2019, 08:59:44 am »

On the water, the protuberant exoskeleton of a bridge glows with flames.

Ehh, I was with you up until the burning wreckage.  That construction shall live on as the sole indicator that we ever graced this earth!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1210 on: September 19, 2019, 09:47:27 am »

In the time period going from early winter 145 to late spring 146, an important  number of events occured, both locally and globally. Following those events is, as we'll soon see, absolutely necessary for our survival.

On the life of Elder Valken, carpenter of Thomocemir

Following the conversations about the safety in Kimaeslo Ori, extensive research has been performed on the werebeasts known of the kingdom. Indeed, if the Riverguard of Thomocemir is known to have slain most of the feral creatures that plaggued the region, at least two of them are known to still live ; Hustrà, Zothoabo's wife, has been imprisonned in a secret house, located under a glass  bridge, and Valken, the carpenter of the Riverguard.

If Prince Ryukan of Thomocemir could assure us that Hustrà was still under tight locks and would represent no danger, the strange case of Valken was, however, another story altogether.

Valken was bit the 21 may 132 by a wereskink called Rusna. Because Valken was a childhood friend of the lords of Thomocemir, he wasn't killed, and instead kept in a close house and closely monitored.

The effects of the curse would then be studied. Among other things, Valken aged abnormally quickly ; his hair whitened and wrinckles appeared on his face. His physical abilities, however, increased by a significant margin. Confinement, however, proved itself enough to prevent the curse  from spreading, and a limited form of communication could take place.

But somewhere in winter 143, for Ino knows what reason, Valken disapeared from his jail and we lost his trace. Search parties gave nothing – torn between their desire not to cause a panic and to protect the population, Thomocemir's nobility decided to, once again, sweep the affair under the rug and to silently continue their investigation.

Only recently was he rediscovered and we had the full story.

After he fled Thomocemir, he followed the dwarven road to the south, and in a few hours of walking on the quickly accumulating snow, he finally arrived in Kodsakzul's dwarves territory, and more specifically, to the fortress of Urvadstettad.

The old and mostly naked man then walked to the local tavern, located in the entrance of the fortress, and was rescued by the human innkeeper, a woman by the  name of Stinthad. Reportedly, the two fell in love and married soon after.

Image courtesy of Valken 's player
(I'll totally draw that lady again)

The lessons that we can learn from that story are :

• Love indeed conquers everything
• Valken is out of containment and extreme caution is now advised.

Dealing with scavengers

Winter 145 was  very hard to say the least. Torrents of rain and snow poured from the sky for entire weeks, only stopping one or two days at a time before starting over. Temperatures were very cold ; the ground froze, making the work of the fields even more an ordeal than it already was. Still, work had to be done, no matter what.

Joakim and Dengusa

Three more projects were going underway : a dedicated tavern to disengorge the longhouse and to advertise ourselves to the rest of the dwellers of the interior sea's shores, and two personal houses made to put a roof over families that come to Kimaeslo Ori, ever too  numberous.

Meanwhile, significant progress was made on the bridge and the other side of the sea was finally reached. At the end of winter, the bridgehead was underway and made structurally sound.
Those efforts under those conditions, however, took a serious toll on the Aconilun's morale. Even if no further incidence of violence took place, a downward spirale was clearly visible.

Effects on morale were exacerbated by a number of factors. Firstly, as the bridge finished, a band of rhesus macaques took the opportunity to come again and try to steal our goods, both in the farmer's living room and in the granary.

With a population now made of 66 villagers and growing, and a quickly professionalizing military, those threats were disposed of quickly. In themselves, they did not do any real damage, but their corpses were left scattered in the main street, open to everyone's view. Altho most people were legitimately bothered by the presence of animal corpses near their houses, people refused to do anything about it. Interrogated, asked to or ordered to throw the cadavers in the corpse pile, villagers would repeat that it was « not their job » and moved away.

One would have thought that such an attitude about the situation would mean the villagers would be alright with the presence of decaying monkey corpses in the main street, but they would continue to complain and argue a bout it every night.

« Fine ! » Gram exploded one day, after work at the tavern. He probably had one too many spelt beer. « Nobody want to move this damn corpse, and I don't want to do it either. As the expedition leader, I hereby declare the places where these corpses are « communal dumping ground » »

He then proceded to throw his refuse next to the rotting body, on the main street, and came back drinking at the tavern.

The next morning, both the refuse and the body were disposed of and moved to the actual dumping ground and the topic was never brought up again.

Sometimes, it takes what it takes.

A couple of news in batch

• The war in the north grows more intense every time we check. Now the capitale city of Ansgek, Dongmustu, is under constent siege by the dwarven kingdoms of Bomrek-Laltur and Kodsakzul, in addition to the ever so pressing attacks by Osme. Howe ver now that  Ansgek's force are dwindling critically, Osme and its now dwarven neighbours are starting to go at each other. At some point, we'll have to get involved.

• Kimaeslo Ori is now officially a village ! Gram is therefore no more an expedition leader. The title of Lady came to Sug, altho we can consider taking it from her to give it to someone we deem more deserving, if you so wish.

« The most beautiful thing I ever seen »

The other event, however, was much more dire and happened sometimes in the early spring ; then the village encountered its most fearsome foe ; more than the troops of Osme or the gigantic lurking underground horrors, my own incompetence human mistakes.

In an attempt to securize the platform on which the Aconilun had set foot so far, operations of construction and mining were conducted. However, in the process, a natural pillar was brought down, and torrents of water were poured on the platform.

I'm an idiot

Next to Gram who performed the operation, two vilagers were present : Bannic and Ramet, a farmer girl with her newborn baby.

Both were propelled by the sudden stream. Ramet could hang on a cavern wall and crawl back to the surface, but had to drop her infant who almost immediately drown. Bannic was propelled three meters downward and the drop inflicted him serious injuries.

The man would have to wait a couple of days, without food  but with water aplenty, until a secondary downward tunnel could be dug to him. Gram and Jalew took him and brought him back to the surface. A makeshift hospital was made in the houses in constructions and Bannic was tended to as much as the villagers could.

When questionned about his experience however, Bannic was surprizingly peaceful.

« I just took a violent bath » he said. « And I was near a waterfall. Have you ever seen a waterfall ? It is the most beatiful thing I ever seen ».

Bannic somewhat recovered, but will walk with a crutch – hopefully, he will recover further, but we don't know at all.

As for the stream continuing to drown the cavern, we will have to find someway to contain it, and hopefully do it before the whole cavern is submerged. Emergency floodgates have been constructed but we'll probably have to wait until next winter before decisive action can be performed.

Good news at last

Everything is not doom and gloom however, in Kimaeslo Ori. First of all, we finally could produce blue dyes from underground mushrooms. This is the first dye Mong Kima has access to, and while other human factions have access to red and green above-ground colors, blue will definitively set us apart. For now, dye and  blue colored clothings are still a luxury product, but we're making ways.

Soon, we should have blue cloths for everyone, and then some to export.

The second new is – we got some important new migrants. First one is De ngusa, coppersmith of Thomocemir that was already alluded to. Coppersmithing is probably one of the most respected professions  of Mong Kima, due to the time and price it c osts to train an artisan to an acceptable level. Having another coppersmith, in excess of Joakim, is a true blessing, to the point we're thinking about making them a dedicated, com bined workshop with a wooden kiln and a couple of anvils, so they can work continuously.

Dengusa is the son of Asin and Apba, and therefore the grandson of Sug and Jalew. He also is, for those who followed the previous story, Uzu's elder brother. He's a competent metal crafter and weaponsmith. After finishing his time in Thomocemir's bootcamp, he reforged most of the blades of Thomocemir's knights, and altho he can improve still, is probably one of the best smiths of the country. He is curre ntly 19 years old, and his life has been quiet. The 5 october 144, he married another boy his age by the name of « The Kindled Lute »Tunul, who accompanied him to Kimaeslo Ori.

Tunul is another fine addition to our crew, as he is a former student of Zefer, which makes him a good swordsman and archer, with a lifetime of war experience.

But among the newcomers were a figure that we, in the kingdom , are very familiar with, and we absolutely did not expected, « Freedom-in-the-mist », now 45 years old.

Luki is currently wearing the price of a small castle on jewleries on her

Those last years, Luki has been very calm, living a life travelling between village, exercizing a profession of butcher or bonecarver, but refraining from participating to anything violent or related to the country's projects. However, when she came to Kimaeslo Ori, she did so with great pump, wearing expensive jewelerie made in the bones of the dragon she killed, 16 years ago. She was temporarily given a post of captain before we decide to give her something a little more prestigious.

That's about it, it could have been much worse, tho this flooding is a big time concern. My idea is to wait until winter and seal off the acquifer, one way or the other. Tho it'll be risky, that's a risk we have to take or we lose access to what made Kimaeslo Ori shine so far. And I'm way more afraid of what can happen with water than what can happen with Eldritch horrors I'll be totally honest.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:03:01 pm by Cathar »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 19, 2019, 10:03:31 am »

What, gay couple! You gotta draw them!

Actually, draw all the mentioned couples so far? Especially size comparisons!

Unfortunately I have to scold you for the amount of typos and other errors in the text, sometimes even I got confused. I'm too tired to point out all of them, but it's 'brought' not 'bringed'. 'Altho' should be 'although', unless its figure of speech?
SigFlags!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1212 on: September 19, 2019, 10:18:26 am »

I...will draw them. Not now tho, but sure ; if during a season, nothing of note happens, I will draw more couples. But we really have a lot of them, especially if we count the newcomers in.

As for gay characters, we had quite a few already. Most known being Pathril and Idla, respectively commander and lieutnant of Thomocemir's first force. They married two women around the same time, but are still a couple. I don't make a big deal out of it unless it's relevant in the story tho ; it's hardly their main trait.

Also apologies for the typos. My keyboard is totally broken and patched up as I can. My space key, most notably, is made hypersensible since she was repaired with a chunk of silicon. Waiting for Amazon to deliver the next in line. Between the 20 and the 30 . That and sometimes my frenchness prevents me from writing correct english. Gomen

I also kind of maybe think about perhaps making a wiki to prevent confusion and to set in writing many things I would not normally put on those updates. Do you know how I can go about it? And would people be interested?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 10:43:19 am by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 19, 2019, 12:18:40 pm »

I haven't the time to read through fully, but that man has a glorious mustache.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 19, 2019, 05:27:25 pm »

Wikia is a site where you can just go and make a Wiki with basically no caveats. I’ve seen Wikias covering a Movie franchise thta only had 1 movie in it, or someone’s fictional world which s/he stole images for.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 111