Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 230585 times)

Lunardog15

• Bay Watcher
  • I bring hell (aka eternal PUNishment)
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1215 on: September 20, 2019, 12:20:11 pm »

wow I loved this before I went online on the forms for ~ a year but it's gotten even better since then

this has been super cool and your art is amazing \ |✪ ◡ ✪| /
everything is fine
 everything is on fire
I see no difference between these two phrases.
only at modded hell does this make sense

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: September 20, 2019, 05:46:02 pm »

Wow, exciting to see your fabled adventurer show up, menacing with spikes!  Lots of shiny shiny spikes.

And yeah, floods.  I haven't dealt with too many floods I didn't plan, though I've seen the challenge of any amount of water being somewhere you don't want it to be.  Can anyone in this place swim?

Joakim and Dengusa

. . .

The second new is – we got some important new migrants. First one is De ngusa, coppersmith of Thomocemir that was already alluded to. Coppersmithing is probably one of the most respected professions  of Mong Kima, due to the time and price it c osts to train an artisan to an acceptable level. Having another coppersmith, in excess of Joakim, is a true blessing, to the point we're thinking about making them a dedicated, com bined workshop with a wooden kiln and a couple of anvils, so they can work continuously.

Dengusa is the son of Asin and Apba, and therefore the grandson of Sug and Jalew. He also is, for those who followed the previous story, Uzu's elder brother. He's a competent metal crafter and weaponsmith. After failing Thomocemir's bootcamp, he reforged most of the blades of Thomocemir's knights, and altho he can improve still, is probably one of the best smiths of the country. He is curre ntly 19 years old, and his life has been quiet. The 5 october 144, he married another boy his age by the name of « The Kindled Lute »Tunul, who accompanied him to Kimaeslo Ori.

Tunul is another fine addition to our crew, as he is a former student of Zefer, which makes him a good swordsman and archer, with a lifetime of war experience.

Yay!  That's so neat!  I don't explicitly remember failing out of bootcamp, but, you know, it's all in the past.  What's the status of underground ores?

And couples art is fine if you want, or just waiting to see if these people need to show up in your storytelling.  I'd be curious about what sort of kills Tunul got to earn that name.

Edited P.S.: If Sug's going "noble," I'm totally in line to inherit.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:51:38 pm by Sir Knight »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1217 on: September 20, 2019, 07:01:13 pm »

Well, Dengusa is a competent fighter, which is about the level in martial art of a common pearlite soldier, but is below Thomocemir's average if I remember... or maybe I overestimate the standards I had. I remember wanting to rush him to train his weaponsmithing skills tho. "Failing" is not the word I should have used, I'll correct that - I meant he hasn't been trained as much in the martial arts as other youths of his generation.

As for floods... Ehm. Let's say I do very, very rarely dig very deep in my forts, I usually build everything on surface, so I'm learning underground shenanigans...Lessons are expensive tho. But ey, I'm learning at the same time my little people do - I'm part of the simulation.

As for Tunul, he actively participated to the retribution attack on the elven kingdom of Pilalene, where he got his six named kills, and probably a bunch of unnamed aswell, I will check that a bit later. Mostly elves, a couple infortunate artists from a performance troupe, too, who were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Actually, that's probably why he's called like that, thinking about this.

As for ore...can't find anything aside rock and gems, but we're buying a LOT of metal to the guild. We have what we need to keep him working and Joakim too, no worry

this has been super cool and your art is amazing \ |✪ ◡ ✪| /

Thank a lot moondoggo ◟(°ヮ°)◞

I haven't the time to read through fully, but that man has a glorious mustache.

That's alright, take your time. We'll have violence at some point (soon)

Wikia is a site where you can just go and make a Wiki with basically no caveats. I’ve seen Wikias covering a Movie franchise thta only had 1 movie in it, or someone’s fictional world which s/he stole images for.

I may or may not be working on a small wiki which would be taking a lot of time.

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: September 21, 2019, 06:14:00 pm »

So i had this idea of our two passionate cooks coming up with a dried snack (-i wanted to share this earlier, but i kind of forgot);

So much happened!
I'm glad we could avoid 'dead-baby-water'.  :D
...the infant DID survive, right?

The village is really shaping up nicely!
How are our original 7 doing so far?

edit: I know i'm repeating myself here, but awesome work! : )
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 06:16:02 pm by HakuryuVision »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: September 21, 2019, 06:26:23 pm »

Love the snack advert!

Our humans had the choice of feasting on plump helmets or the carcasses of gods.

They chose wisely.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: September 22, 2019, 02:06:11 am »

DF Cookbook, or '50 Ways to Make Your Cat Meat Taste Like Gourmet Dragon Steak'? :P
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: September 22, 2019, 07:33:42 pm »

Evil Chanting

TEN THOUSAND YEARS WILL GIVE YOU SUCH A KRINK IN THE NECK!
Hi; got caught up with everything and saw that one of my Awesome students got sent to the new outpost...fort thing; real quick How has Zefer been since oh a year or so ago? Also Hi guys I'm not dead.
Edit: We don't have a tv tropes page yet: surprising with how awesome the storytelling cathar gives
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:35:26 pm by Zefermcdwarfpants »
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1222 on: September 24, 2019, 09:33:45 am »

So, Zefer's life has been pretty calm since 143. He's still Thomocemir's scout captain, but with the war moving northward, Mong Kima hasn't been attacked for four years. He's probably taking some time off, and preparing for wars inevitable return. Oh, and he participated in the retributive attack against Pilalene, earning him the heroic name "Shining Surge".

Tho just a mini story : in the winter of year 90, an elven bard named Mimale Irularina woke up from a terrible nightmare. What she dreamt of precisely, we do not know, but it inspired her to write a "Sweet Incense" , a singed eulogy made of a collection of short poems, honoring the recently departed, originating from Xakedgil (the dominant human kingdiom of the southern island).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tho the name of the departed was not written, the Sweet Incense was dubbed "Aches and the Zephyrs". Mimale then went back to sleep and resumed her life as a small wandering poet. She married in year 100, and forgot about her song. She travelled around the Land of Oak and beyond, had students and lived a normal elven bardic life.

Only in year 142, as she visited the capitale city of Pilalene, she was taken in the middle of a feud between Mong Kima and her Pilalene hosts.
She joined the latter in a desperate attempt to protect Pilalene's royal family.

She engaged Zefer in a duel but received four wounds before being slain.

It is unknown if her eulogy was for herself, as the gods sent her a premonition of her death, or if its title was simply a very unfortunate coincidence.

The...baby died. I'm sorry. It drowned and we can't even recover the body. His mother's state of mind is extremely unstable :(

With that said I absolutely love the candy advert. Something in me wants to skip until modern times so we can print those candy packs. In 40 RL years, when we finally arrive at the industrial revolution, someone will launch such a brand.

As for the original seven :
• Hauben is the militia commender and starts to have serious skills, getting close to legendary territory
• Hasbun is still romantically involved with Joakim. She's the manager for the time being, but she'll be moved to the tavern when another manager emerges
• Joakim forges and decorates weapon with Dengusa as an apprentice / collegue
• Toki is still our dedicated broker and trader. Every now and then, she'd make some mastercraft trinket or meal. She's still with Gram.
• Gram stopped being an expedition leader and now is, with Jalew, desperately trying to salvage what he can from the underground (more on that later)
• Esqu took on some weight, but otherwise still continues to train the dogs. We have a lot of dogs. Some dogs we also cook and make leather from (I'm sorry)
• Bannic is now walking with a crutch, but is now our first tavern keeper, living the dream

Real update coming soon, still working on it o/
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:58:09 am by Cathar »

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: September 24, 2019, 11:13:25 am »

So, Zefer's life has been pretty calm since 143. He's still Thomocemir's scout captain, but with the war moving northward, Mong Kima hasn't been attacked for four years. He's probably taking some time off, and preparing for wars inevitable return. Oh, and he participated in the retributive attack against Pilalene, earning him the heroic name "Shining Surge".

Tho just a mini story : in the winter of year 90, an elven bard named Mimale Irularina woke up from a terrible nightmare. What she dreamt of precisely, we do not know, but it inspired her to write a "Sweet Incense" , a singed eulogy made of a collection of short poems, honoring the recently departed, originating from Xakedgil (the dominant human kingdiom of the southern island).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tho the name of the departed was not written, the Sweet Incense was dubbed "Aches and the Zephyrs". Mimale then went back to sleep and resumed her life as a small wandering poet. She married in year 100, and forgot about her song. She travelled around the Land of Oak and beyond, had students and lived a normal elven bardic life.

Only in year 142, as she visited the capitale city of Pilalene, she was taken in the middle of a feud between Mong Kima and her Pilalene hosts.
She joined the latter in a desperate attempt to protect Pilalene's royal family.

She engaged Zefer in a duel but received four wounds before being slain.

It is unknown if her eulogy was for herself, as the gods sent her a premonition of her death, or if its title was simply a very unfortunate coincidence.

The...baby died. I'm sorry. It drowned and we can't even recover the body. His mother's state of mind is extremely unstable :(

With that said I absolutely love the candy advert. Something in me wants to skip until modern times so we can print those candy packs. In 40 RL years, when we finally arrive at the industrial revolution, someone will launch such a brand.

As for the original seven :
• Hauben is the militia commender and starts to have serious skills, getting close to legendary territory
• Hasbun is still romantically involved with Joakim. She's the manager for the time being, but she'll be moved to the tavern when another manager emerges
• Joakim forges and decorates weapon with Dengusa as an apprentice / collegue
• Toki is still our dedicated broker and trader. Every now and then, she'd make some mastercraft trinket or meal. She's still with Gram.
• Gram stopped being an expedition leader and now is, with Jalew, desperately trying to salvage what he can from the underground (more on that later)
• Esqu took on some weight, but otherwise still continues to train the dogs. We have a lot of dogs. Some dogs we also cook and make leather from (I'm sorry)
• Bannic is now walking with a crutch, but is now our first tavern keeper, living the dream

Real update coming soon, still working on it o/
1.Zefer is as OP as I remember; the nickname is even better
2. A knife-ear attacking zefer was a suicide waiting to happen anyways
3. When the next wave of migrants comes; can you give me the wonders of being human'd as one of the many children under the name of Ferez?
Hope everything goes great Cathar
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1224 on: September 30, 2019, 07:46:52 pm »

Alright, let's get into summer 146. Although it wasn't the most busy season since our arrival, we still have a lot to discuss.

The first days of summer were mostly spent underground, trying to find a solution to the flooding problem, although unsuccessfully. However hard they might try, the leak could not be mend at this point in time. Maybe when the weather cools and water turns to ice, they might be luckier... Maybe.

As the Aconilun was busy minding its own business however, it received the most unsettling visit the third of June.

It is not so much the fact that they were visited by an Osmite warparty that was unsettling – the group was small, less than a squad, and equipped with bad quality weaponry. It is the fact they came from the western side of the sea – indicating that they were operating behind the interior sea, in an area we thought safe.

Regardless, the militia was deployed immediately, and could cross the bridge before initiating contact, allowing the fight to take place on land rather than on the bridge itself. The warparty's leader was an Osmite goblin by the name of Ozo – a man without any notoriety, and accompanied by only a handful fighters.

It may be worth the note that, as Osme continue to absorb Ansgekstozu's land far in the north ; the proportion of Ansgeki goblins in their army continue to grow. Ansgeki goblins, with deep green skin and dark red hair, are now a common occurrence in Osme's armies.

Mospar, one of the militia's finest, was the first to engage them. A short but brutal fight took place, and altho some light wounds were sustained by the militia, they were of little consequence. No death would be mourned – Hauben slain Ozo, and his goblins were sent back to were they came from running in terror.

Those years of training surely did the militia well. The slain goblins were stripped of their equipment, which was stockpiled and ready to be melted. From then on, Dengusa and Joakim took turn in melting the spears and chainmails, and forging swords and maces with the resulting copper.

Those are, for now, only training gear, but their quality keeps improving – one superior copper sword was produced.
Soon, the two coppersmith should be trusted with the more valuable metals – what they have to work with should be enough to train them for the task.

Besides, considering that Osme is likely to attack again, having an handful of spare weapons is maybe not luxury.

Meanwhile, down below, a girl by the name of Ricgo lost herself in the flooded caverns. I don't know how they do that. I suppose she got washed out by the current and are unable to find her way back.

When you get stuck on a giant mushroom contemplating the mistakes you made in life, yet can't really be mad because you are really soothed by the neighbouring underground waterfall #relatable

No problem. Jalew was sent to help save her. Last season, it happened to Bannic. That's alright – stuff happens – he said as he grabbed the girl's arm, dragging her inside the tunnel he dug to her. It's not like it happens a lot anyw-

Sweet Ino

That aside, the rest of the summer was calm. The guild arrived, and we tradded in more metal. Then we discovered sand in an unflooded part of the cavern, which would allow us to start a glass industry. We sealed up that part of the cavern and got ready to collect sandbags.

What else – Sug is slowly getting accustomed to her position as a lady. She did forbid the use of windows and mendated the smithing of a mace, which Denhusa made with spare silver. All in all, that's not the worst we could expect from a noble – and she did talked and consoled a couple of unhappy citizen.

To find he, and her extensive family a proper place to live – and to centralize Kimaeslo Ori's administration, fundations for a stone manor were built. It should be, when finished, a stunning house with stoneware tile roof, made of white quartzite bricks with light blue microline outlines – and when we have them, decorated glass windows. Stoneware ashglazed statues were made to decorate the inside of building

It should be the most beautiful manor of the kingdom once it's done.

In other news, because we want to participate to the kingdom's war effort, we will create a log of all the exported value which we will update every summer, starting next year. I kind of want to keep track of the value Kimaeslo Ori can create and give to the kingdom by the intermediary of the guild.

That's about it for the summer. We are over 100 souls, and we are struggling to to find a room for everyone, so until our housing problem is solved, we won't accept anymore migrants.

Edit : AH ! There's another important issue. The mother of the baby who died is having a nervous breakdown. She's not a danger for anyone but herself, and her husband is Mospar, one of our top soldiers. I don't really know how to deal with the situation. If you have any idea... Should we exile them? Give Mospar a bit of off time?

Zefer : You'll be dorfed as Zefer's little brother, since Zefer's parents are now the local nobility and came with a very, very extensive gallery of miniatures humans. If that's okay.

What else, I also drew those ; for the record.

Valken and his wife, Stinthad. I believe (but might be wrong) that Stinthad is of Egapesor origin. Legendviewer says nothing about it, but all Egapesor humans have black hair and are a very common ethnicity in the region. I really hope the next time we hear about Valken will be because he had a couple kids, and not because he murdered a village, but that is totally out of my control.

Tunul is Dengusa's husband. All his equipment is locally produced – we're starting to have a quite skilled workforce in leatherworks and woodwork. His shield is made of fungiwood – which is why he has a strange bright yellow color.

Last but not least : three positions need to be filled right now. We need a hearthcaptain (chief of police), an executionner, and a manager. Currently, Hasbun is our manager, but she wants to serve as a waistress and a bartender at the new inn, and will be able to do so as soon as we can replace her.

So if you want to volonteer for any of those posts, go for it
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:03:34 pm by Cathar »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: September 30, 2019, 08:00:53 pm »

The thoughts of Joakim at work

Copper. Copper and copper and copper. They give me copper, I melt the copper. I melt the copper, I beat the copper. Soon I have a blade of copper, and some soldier takes it for their own. It is not glamorous work.

Still, it is fulfilling work! They tell me if I show skill with the copper, they will give me new metals to hammer. I will be glad for the fresh material.

They tell me there is need for a man-slayer among us... an "executioner", they call it. That is a grand title for a grim thing! I suppose skulls are no worse for the cleaving than copper for the beating... perhaps I shall take up this unpleasant position. Someone must, and I would rather do the grisly thing myself than leave it to another.

So yeah... consider this my request for the executioner's position! "Can handle stress" will (hopefully) keep the potential unpleasantness of the job from driving Joakim too nutty, and... well, you can't "bring lasting peace to the world" without squishing a few troublemakers yes?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:16:26 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1226 on: September 30, 2019, 08:06:19 pm »

Welcome to the local administrative nobility Joakim ! Though unlike dwarven hammerers, human executionners use axes, so I'll need to give him a bit of extra training, but that's okay, Joakim is already a competent fighter and will learn new weapon in no time

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: September 30, 2019, 08:11:52 pm »

While I'd personally recommend using the copper for spears or ammo (being junk doesn't matter quite so much with such small contact areas if I'm not mistaken,) having extra weapons of any kind will do a world of good, be they as exports, trainers, or just kept as an emergency arsenal if, gods forbid, a zerg rush is needed in a situation where we still have control of the armory.

As to people getting stuck in trees, I would like to put forth the proposal that stupidity is universal to the denizens of Dwarf Fortress worlds. How much you wanna bet they ran into those trees to escape some oh-so-terrifying crundles or something equally pathetic vs a full-grown human.

Also, ain't gonna lie. That manor sounds like it's gonna be pretty bitchin' by human standards. :D Bonus points if you can make the fancier glasses or find some high value gems for the windows.

Welcome to the local administrative nobility Joakim ! Though unlike dwarven hammerers, human executionners use axes, so I'll need to give him a bit of extra training, but that's okay, Joakim is already a competent fighter and will learn new weapon in no time

Believe it or not he doesn't really need any training for the job. Executioners don't use the weapon they carry if in a squad (I found this out the hard way when I needed to dole out some lethal justice and had no spare hammers on hand once,) but pick one from the armory - the most valuable seems to be preferred. Might be better to make him one out of iron if we have it, and dress it up with whatever embellishments weapons can accept and keep it in the armory and just keep him as a hammerman for his military obligations. Not like someone being executed is gonna be putting up a fight.

Just a suggestion of course, so that he doesn't need to be retrained.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1228 on: September 30, 2019, 08:20:55 pm »

Well, people getting stuck underground is what got us microline. I really like microline...what is hard is to resist the temptation to use it everywhere. But for decorations and as outlines, it's perfect.

So ehm, for hammerers/executionners, let's say Joakim is attacked by a goblin or wildlife while not in a squad, will he pull his axe ? Or fight barehand ? I don't think we'll be executing a lot of people anyway, but having a weapon is a survivability boon in an extreme situation.

Edit : for copper, I kind of want to use it for weapons actually. Metal is very hard to come by, I dont think there is any on this map, and we can't rely on a mood to push our smiths to legendary. So we have to craft weapons to grind experience for the smiths, and it costs a lot of ressources, especially considering blacksmithing is divided into three or four skills. And the idea of making masterwork weapons is...actually super attractive to me
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:28:57 pm by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: September 30, 2019, 08:28:20 pm »

So ehm, for hammerers/executionners, let's say Joakim is attacked by a goblin or wildlife while not in a squad, will he pull his axe ? Or fight barehand ? I don't think we'll be executing a lot of people anyway, but having a weapon is a survivability boon in an extreme situation.

Executioners don't carry their job tool far as I know, but couldn't hurt to check; last one I had to do though the guy went and fetched a hammer instead of using the one he'd been assigned and carried with him.

But, just opinion, I figure It'd be better regardless to have him carry the weapon he's most familiar with, since he'll just be flat out better at fighting with it than what he isn't. You'd have to actually activate him either way to get him to use his weapon though (learned that the hard way too, one of my dudes tried to fight body eater worms with his favorite scepter instead of his short sword until I told him to actually kill the things.)

EDIT: Weapon skill also matters defending against armed opponents (can't parry unarmed attacks,) so if goblins or elves jump him, it'd definitely do him better to use what he's already trained in.

Edit : for copper, I kind of want to use it for weapons actually. Metal is very hard to come by, I dont think there is any on this map, and we can't rely on a mood to push our smiths to legendary. So we have to craft weapons to grind experience for the smiths, and it costs a lot of ressources, especially considering blacksmithing is divided into three or four skills. And the idea of making masterwork weapons is...actually super attractive to me

Hence my suggestion. Spears for edged, dealer's choice for blunt since at least according to the wiki, the bulk of metals perform pretty similarly with the exception of silver, adamantine, and other ornamental heavy metals in that capacity.

Did the embark list any kind of metal on the map? May just be super far down tetrahedrite, galena, or sphalerite, though that'd be understandably... Less than a desirable place for humans to go, for more than very quick expeditions, especially if that's all that's down there - lot of risk for relatively little reward if that's what's down there.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 111