Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236280 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1230 on: October 01, 2019, 03:12:15 am »

Gram will be Chief of Police
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: October 01, 2019, 04:23:00 am »

Zefer's little brother  aye? This will be quite great to see how well he help his family name stay up then.
Btw cathar awesome work yet again; you  ever do any dungeon mastering in DnD?
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1232 on: October 01, 2019, 07:57:37 am »

Gram is hearthcaptain now ! Hopefully, like Joakim, his job won't be a lot needed... However I am very sure it will.

For metals... I don't think so. I remember sand and clay, which we found, flux as well but it's useless to us, and... I think that's all. We're trading metal in, I don't think we can mine it here.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:08:15 am by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: October 01, 2019, 08:34:32 am »

Aww. Well, that's unfortunate. And hey, flux ain't useless, that's money! Fancy statues, expensive houses, valuable trade goods... I doubt many human towns could say they have valuable stone such as that as a major export or building material I'd wager.

I'm not some filthy, money grubbing gnome in disguise, I swear.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1234 on: October 15, 2019, 07:43:49 pm »

Alright, I am very reluctant to write this update because not only a few happened over a rather large period of time, but it also was disastrous, engaged the SNAFU mode and so, limited the amount of screenshots I got from the whole ordeal. It was like if until now, the game was simply laying down its pieces and unleashed a massive wombo combo that will need some time and skill to clean after.

But I can't stall forever, so here we go.

Fall 146 started out relatively well. With the tavern now being fully functionnal, the people of the Aconilun could at last begin to relax, recite poetry, sing and dance. Because Kimaeslo Ori had now a significant part of its population being members of the trader's guild, imported forms of art were also performed. During the days, work was bearable, and people were having fun in the evening. At last, it appeared, Kimaeslo Ori was on its track to become the happy bridgetown it was meant to be. Let what happened during the second half of year 146 be a cautionnary tale on the dangers of laszyness and alcohol abuse for the generations to come.

First of all, the rhesus macaques attacked again. While this isn't usually too big of a deal, the current state of the bridge is so that a confrontation on it would likely result in drownings. To avoid unecessary casualties, the warbell was rang and people ordered to rejoin their houses. Eventually, things turned out well : the group of monkey managed to encircle and kill a puppy who was playing on the other side of the bridge, but as soon as they crossed, they were ambushed by a group of civilians and promptly dispatched.

Hasbun ripped the throat of one of those barehand, while Ebkusa, a wandering knight who served in in Thomocemir's army, crushed the head of another. Surviving macaques ran away on their tiny legs and the crisis was lifted.

The next days were carefree, and passed without really thinking about anything but the daily meniar chores, patrols over the limits of our territory to prevent ambushes, and evening spent hammered at the tavern.

Then disaster struck.

There was indeed a variable that was neglected by the Aconilun. They were so accustomed to their relatively luxurious train of life that they never thought they could, one day, lack the bare necessity of life. This however happened one day of mid fall ; Bannic came in the tavern, walking as fast  as he could on his crutch : the alcohol stock wete almost empty.

This was an absolute disaster ; as Kimaeslo Ori was a seaside town, it had no access to clean drinking water. Emergency solution were devised and for a few days, the village looked like an anthill – people were collecting plants in the forest, fields were extended, additional stills were installed. That alone, however, proved too little too late to counteract the now acquired habits of a drunken population …
However the subterran world was forbidden, a couple of villagers braved the interdiction. A couple did not came back – Hasbun and two kids were soon declared dead. They were killed by alcohol, if you will.

Bodyless burials have yet to be ceremonialized.

The winter was mostly spent trying to prevent this set of events to snowball into a complete destruction of the village ; as it very well could.
With Hasbun's death and the disappearance of two kids, that is now three families that are grieving in the village. The mood was just getting better in the summer, now it's reaching rock bottom at high speed.

Luckily, at the end of winter, alcohol supplies were growing again. We now need to make burrows to insure people stop throwing themselves into the subterran river, as apparently simply locking doors do not function.

This is not Kimaeslo Ori's proudest moment, but we'll push through.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:46:27 pm by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: October 15, 2019, 07:59:58 pm »

Probably missed a door. Gods know that forts have lost people to things worse than a single unlocked door or hatch. Like trees, building the wrong bridge, or falling into ponds and proceeding to insist on crossing the pond instead of climbing out the edge that's closest to them.

I'd personally favor an expedition into the depths to try and find the lost people - they can't have gone far if there's a lake with potable water down there everyone in town knows about, and it may be possible to exact justice on their killers since barring getting stuck in trees.... Again... Something almost certainly killed them. Could use the expedition to scout for a makeshift cistern as well, cutting and clearing stuff to make what amounts to an artificial pond fed by the cavern lake with a chute going down to it for a well.

Would need to probably install the well in the barracks and it'd take a while to run the bucket down and up, but it'd be better than losing people to the things down there because they got slightly thirsty and "oh, someone's using the barrels right now, guess I'll go into the caverns and be eaten by giant olms." A bridge can be secured in a way to block access if the need arises so things can't fly up the well and menace people too.

I personally find "went missing" on headstones to be... Disgraceful feels like far too strong a word, but it makes it look like the local leadership didn't care enough to find out what happened to them and if possible, enact retribution, or like the people are lying to themselves.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 15, 2019, 08:19:43 pm »

A populace of drunks? Atleast it's better than folks dying of thirst for a temporary solution. Though were not dwarves, maybe we can find a way to distill clean unsalted water?
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: October 16, 2019, 12:07:49 am »

Awww.

I'm a bit sad.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1238 on: October 16, 2019, 11:16:01 am »

I know, I'm sorry... I tried to save them, and actually managed to save some of them ; I only lost three all things considered. If I wasn't clear, they died by drowning, which explains why I couldn't manage an expedition. They were ejected to the very bottom of the first cavern by the current.

It's not that we don't care, it's just we don't want to throw more bodies at the problem. The well is a good idea, but placing it in the barracks is a recipy for disaster, as it is only a matter of time before someone dodges into it.

Distilling salt water is also possible, but actually not less dangerous, my last try with pump stacks resulted in catastrophe in my test fort.

For now the priority is to avoid more casualties so I will... make a giant burrow, that will take time, but effectively condamn the forbidden part of the cavern. We also need to expend the fields a lot and to get more brewers.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: October 16, 2019, 01:47:10 pm »

I know, I'm sorry... I tried to save them, and actually managed to save some of them ; I only lost three all things considered. If I wasn't clear, they died by drowning, which explains why I couldn't manage an expedition. They were ejected to the very bottom of the first cavern by the current.

It's not that we don't care, it's just we don't want to throw more bodies at the problem. The well is a good idea, but placing it in the barracks is a recipe for disaster, as it is only a matter of time before someone dodges into it.
Yeah, the wording made me think they went down there through an overlooked access point and got killed by something or stuck in trees. If you can get someone down there to actually confirm their deaths (after they've decomposed preferably,) at least they'll have the proper information on their headstones.

I've certainly felt the pain of needing to fish people out of ponds or rivers with DFhack or during winter freezes when they do a stupid.  ::)

As to the well, could construct a new barracks outside, or partition a possible well access apart from the main barracks and dig out a new tunnel to the partition, which at least in theory would prevent anyone from deciding they're tired of life and dodging into the damned thing.

I only suggest in the barracks because it looked like the Militia is put up in the original shelter that was dug into the fire clay hillside or wherever it was. Unless that was changed and I missed that.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 18, 2019, 09:05:11 pm »

Pardon my reaction, but . . . bwa ha ha!  You made it sound like such doom and gloom, and in the end it sounds more like it was the frustration of wasted time instead of the horror of watching a full-scale disaster.

Which is frustrating, I acknowledge.  And it ended in at least one death.  But to reference Night Vale, "if we had to shut down the town for every [derailing] event that at least one death could be attributed to, we'd never have time to do anything, right?"

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: November 04, 2019, 12:03:50 am »

NOT OUR COOK!!

Welp, rest in peace, Hasbun the cook -the first of our seven founders to die.

I took the freedom to come up with a fitting engraving for her slab (gore warning);
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rest in peace, you magnificent monkey-murdering-masterchef.
You and your food shall be dearly missed.

I still like to imagine she was the one to come up with the 'forgotten treats' snack.

edit: How is Joakim doing? : (
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:21:09 am by HakuryuVision »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1242 on: November 04, 2019, 12:45:39 pm »

Jesus christ, your art never cease to amaze me. I'm still working on the next update, lots of information to process. Tho with that said, the idea to make a new, real barrack has been considered and totally approved. There's just a last small event I want to draw before updating, Joakim will be part of it, obviously

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: November 04, 2019, 01:58:10 pm »

Hak's art is so gud, Hasbun can rest in peace with such marvelous engraving on her slab n_n
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: November 04, 2019, 08:10:38 pm »

Looking forward to it!

'Joakim; the heartbroken fighter'
: P
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 111