Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 235821 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1320 on: May 02, 2020, 02:13:16 pm »

Or maybe, just maybe...

There's a tiny, tiny tiny, scratch of the werebeast on someone's knee, and some werebeast blood splatter on the tiny wound.

Then again, that would be preferable to a sudden increase in crime and violence.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1321 on: May 02, 2020, 02:45:40 pm »

Next update will be the last of the fort, gentlemen... The fort ends abruptly at the beggining of Fall with a massive russian style cavalry attack from Osme.
Hauben if you want to make a speech it's now or never because basically everyone dies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 02, 2020, 03:24:30 pm »

This is going to be very ad-doc and not exactly great, but here goes.

Quote from: Commander Hauben
No words will really work to assuage what is likely to happen. All that can be said, or asked, is that you, the soldiers of Kimaeslo Ori, fight like the devils I'm sure some among this green vermin believes we Pearlites to be. If we and our home are to burn and die, then so be it. We struck down many of the children of Pasmug, we struck down the old and forgotten gods in the depths, and we struck down the Lord of the Forest itself, to say nothing of the many enemy warriors whose corpses already litter the woods around our home who thought themselves our betters.

All of these, among so many other achievements, are why it has been nothing but a great privilege to lead you all in battle.

And I have no doubts that you, my brothers and sisters in arms, will ensure our home does not go quietly. That we will drag yet more with us into the howling darkness that awaits.

Feel free to tinker and tweak it as you see fit to make it work, cause this was super fuckin' improvised and inspiring speeches aren't exactly my strong suit.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 02, 2020, 03:30:19 pm »

Next update will be the last of the fort, gentlemen... The fort ends abruptly at the beggining of Fall with a massive russian style cavalry attack from Osme.
Hauben if you want to make a speech it's now or never because basically everyone dies

Waohwawoahwaoah.

At least lemme prepare some popcorn man, I can't digest drama on empty stomach! *runs for da kitchen*
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1324 on: May 02, 2020, 03:32:29 pm »

It's perfect, I'll tinker if need be, but I really want people to add something to the story...and yeah, that's the last opportunity for this chapter.

I don't know what we'll do after Kimaeslo Ori, either go back to adventuring or start a new world...I don't know but I'll be open to suggestions. Somehow this game felt much, much harder than Thomocemir, altho I was more experienced and had a much better setting.

Also Haspen don't worry ! You have a couple of week before that post ! It aint over until it's over (but soon)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: May 02, 2020, 05:19:05 pm »

I don't know what we'll do after Kimaeslo Ori, either go back to adventuring or start a new world...I don't know but I'll be open to suggestions. Somehow this game felt much, much harder than Thomocemir, altho I was more experienced and had a much better setting.

It might be cause of the updated versions. Attacks seem to be more frequent overall this version from what I can tell, though granted necromancers are partially responsible for that (not that I'm complaining - I raise professional or semi-professional troops for a reason and an idle military is one not earning its keep.)

If this world is stuck to, could be interesting to go with a character hired on as a scout/spy, to investigate goings on - insurrections, invasions, seeing if the werelizard plague has finally been eradicated, finding out what great beasts remain in the world, that sort of thing.

Or not, you do you man, I'm sure this finale will be great though. Not very often that settlements seem to succumb to invasion anymore when in the care of a veteran player. :D

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 06, 2020, 10:59:27 am »

It's perfect, I'll tinker if need be, but I really want people to add something to the story...and yeah, that's the last opportunity for this chapter.

Also Haspen don't worry ! You have a couple of week before that post ! It aint over until it's over (but soon)

I, too, would like popcorn, but I suppose I will also wait.

This has been a surprising journey, hasn't it?  Here's where it began:

Speaking of which, we'll probably make a more peaceful embark this time, in the middle of the kingdom, to create a bridge city where the interior sea gets narrow, in order to facilitate trade between the two sides of the kingdom. . . .

Also, if you have an idea for a name ? I'm thinking something like Peace Harbor or the like.

Expectations were for a lot of construction logs.  It seemed great when, partway through, you broke into an underground cavern, allowing for storytelling you hadn't done before.  I wasn't exactly anticipating a fort that would be defeated by a vile force of darkness.  Thank you for finding such a fun world to explore, and thank you for sharing it.

But speaking of "worlds": I'd say that generating a new world depends on features that may have been added across versions.  Since you generated this world, did any version changes add things that could only appear if you made a new one?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1327 on: May 07, 2020, 08:00:01 am »

I mean, yes, that is possible - but the reverse is also possible ; things that appear in the game may never appear in a new world. What exactly, I don't know. Basically the choice is stay in a world we know and try to save the kingdom, or go and explore another world.
I kind of would prefer to stay here...but maybe this is time to start something more serious than Mong Kima in terms of realisation.
MK is mostly a crapshoot after all. There are bugs everywhere as the world was generated 3 RL years ago and the earlier drawings I made... well... let's say I developped my skills alongside the kingdom.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:02:39 am by Cathar »

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 07, 2020, 06:40:17 pm »

I kind of would prefer to stay here...but maybe this is time to start something more serious than Mong Kima in terms of realisation.

Then stick around in the world and have fun!  Though I don't know what you would intend to be "serious."  Like . . . scripting some sort of story under your control?  Or taking longer on the art?  Or something else?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1329 on: May 08, 2020, 03:11:02 pm »

What I mean by "more serious" is "something I could show outside of the Bay12 community", mostly.
I started this thread to become better at things I like, namely drawing and Dwarf Fortress...But maybe now it's time to showcase my skills to a wider audiance. I don't know... I'm pondering as I work on the next update

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 08, 2020, 04:18:08 pm »

In fairness to it, there's nothing that inherently makes Dwarf Fortress-related stuff utterly alien to a wider audience, especially with how you present it here. If you didn't tell someone, they might not otherwise make the connection between the work and the game - partially because you chose humans over dwarves to play as and present the perspective of.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 09, 2020, 09:12:12 am »

In fairness to it, there's nothing that inherently makes Dwarf Fortress-related stuff utterly alien to a wider audience, especially with how you present it here. If you didn't tell someone, they might not otherwise make the connection between the work and the game - partially because you chose humans over dwarves to play as and present the perspective of.
I'm with Splint. Your presentation is good enough for any audience. No matter what you decide, I'll still read whatever you create.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1332 on: June 03, 2020, 11:05:47 pm »

Year 149 September 8
Music

Last year, Osmite forces had attack Kimeaslo Ori twice ; once with a professional army from their capitale city, and once with the retainer of a local lady. The Aconilun had anticipated their return and had started to fortify - but those preparations were futile to stop was what about to hit the bridgetown.

One hundred goblins mounted on beackdogs and one hundred trolls - or so about. Even with the recently upgraded Aconilun military, the attack was totally out of scale. The militia had about thirty soldiers - of high skill, but lacking equipment.
From the moment they appeared in the forest, the fate of the town was already sealed.

The first clash of the battle happend in the open mass grave, where the other battles happened before. The hope of the Aconilun was to use the comparatively poor enemy morale to their advantage.

But the numerical difference was tilting the balance too much - and soon Hauben's men started to dwindle.

It is unknown what happened to the rest of the town, but it is unlikely anyone survived.
The kingdom of pearls will have to find a way to react to the event, which effectively cuts it in half.

Sorry for the lack of narration, but there is really not much to tell. The military was defeated without gimmick, by an overwhelming number of cavalry and shock troopers.
I don't really know what to do next. If you have an idea I'll take anything.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 03, 2020, 11:59:51 pm »

Dang, that was fast.

RIP Aconilun! Now send a reclaim army to recover and rebuild the bridgetown.
SigFlags!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 04, 2020, 12:34:23 am »

A tragedy.  :-\

How's Islas doing these days?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext