Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 235741 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1350 on: September 25, 2020, 05:04:05 pm »

Ooh, "Brokenscale".
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 25, 2020, 09:39:40 pm »

A shame the fort fell, but now we have an adventurer. Onward, to glory for Mong Kima!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1352 on: September 26, 2020, 10:00:04 am »

I really like Brokenscale, but the translation (Tetthep) is a bit goofy, so maybe Broken Green Scales (Tetelthep) may be a bit better. Thanks for the ideas guys !
Also a little heads up, my computer fried as I was drawing an encounter in Kimaeslo Ori. Video card is busted and computer wont start anymore. I'll try to repair it but have little faith - Ill probably end up buying another on monday. My HDD is safe and currently in conversation with a sata adapter to save my universe on my cloud. Nothing is lost, rejoice.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 26, 2020, 11:06:14 am »

I really hope my memory wasn't faulty with that. I'll feel like a massive ass if the effort went to waste.

But any kind of steel imports would be a gigantic boon for a human nation, especially one as beleaguered as Mong Kima.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1354 on: September 29, 2020, 06:41:56 pm »

19 september 149

The first day of Kashi's journey was spent around the town of Asuciro, physically and mentally preparring himself for the journey. The travel up north would not be very long - one week, maybe two, not more - but it was notoriously dangerous. Mundane predators were competing with supernatural monsters to prey over the lone travellers, and this is nothing to say about the climate or the landscape, both equally deadly. Besides, although there were rumours about the darkness having subsided, Kashi did not care to verify them - being alone in the wanderness would spell death as far as he knew.

So, as a mean to prepare himself to the dangers of the wild, he went swimming in the river, then hunted crabs on the beach. It was a long time since he last was physically active, and he had a lot of rust to shake off. He went to sleep at sundown, feeling a bit more confident in himself.

20 september 149

The young clerk was now almost ready to set off into the wild - he missed only one or two things : some travelling gear, and some travelling companionship - required to come back home alive. Asuciro was short both in population and gear, both decimated by the unrelented attacks against the bastions of Desoruzol, ordered by the late general Tis.
With a heavy heart, Kashi set his first objective to be the destroyed bridgetown of Kimaeslo Ori. There, he thought, he would at least find some leftover equipment. After all, Kashi was just running a short distance, not preparing to wage a war.

Sylvan scavengers

He arrived at Kimaeslo Ori in the middle of the afternoon. He shivered due to the cold, piercing rain soaking him to the bone. The more he approached the ruins, the worst his aprehension became. When he finally arrived near the city wall, a noticeable smell of decomposition attacked his nose, only to grow stronger and stronger.

The ground was littered with corpses. Trolls, goblins, humans, dogs, cattle, everywhere. Judging from their wounds and the places they fell to, the population of the bridgetown defended their village to the last brick.

Seing hooded shadows in the distance, Kashi understood he wasn't alone. Elves and humans alike, alongside beasts of burden. Looters, he thought. Looters like him.

He approached one of them to make his presence known.

"It's a bit cold, isn't it ?" All things considered, it wasn't the worst way to introduce yourself to someone in a death field.

The elf aknowledged him and they discussed a bit. She used to be a merchant from Iferifiyopi who had been servicing the bridgetown's market for the last si years.

"Building a trade relation with humans is hard" she admitted, holding a corroded copper helmet in her hands. "It takes a lot of convincing and supervision to stop them from slaughtering the forest - and to be still wanting to trade with us. And now, right after they accepted to ship metal - they are suddently all dead"

Not that it would stop the elves from undressing the corpses and to pry the weapons directly from the hands of the fallen warriors - but compared to the perspective of buying new crafts from pearlite artesans every spring, this felt like a poor consolation.

"I don't get it" the clerk interrupted. "I thought elves only used wooden tools ? What need do you have for metal ?"

The elf shrugged.

"Metal win wars, and the Princess desires to conquer the dwarven kingdom of Nishtiz." She marked a pause, visibly losing interest in the young man, muttering as she refocused on undressing goblin corpses. "We're waging wars of our own".

In the end, commerce with the elves of Iferifiyopi was funding the misery of the dwarven kingdom of Nishtiz - it did not came as a surprize to Kashi.The world was a savage place - and sometimes if the gods want it, things will get better. He pinched his nose and started to undress corpses as well in search of valuables.

A couple hours later, and Kashi had found a bronze cap and breastplate, and copper chain leggings. He replaced his old knife by an uncorrodded copper two handed sword that he found - not that he hoped to ever come to have to use any of them.

All in all, those findings had a value of their own - but only when he found Tetosp Elthep, the dragon bone bracelet, safely stored in the old meadhall.

Tetosp Elthep, "Brokenaxe the Green Scale", a dragon bone bracelet   
This is a masterful dragon bone bracelet created by Luki Usupim  Sitsuquistra.  This object menaces with spikes of moss agate and  masterfully worked dog bone by Ivak Hehanduko.

This bracelet was crafted in the very bones of the dragon Cobim Treasurejade, the Gilded Flickering Silver by the legendary adventurer Luki Usupim in year 130. When she arrived in Kimaeslo Ori, she was carrying the bracelet with her - after her death, the villagers managed to take possession of the precious bracelet and reworked it with gems. And today, Kashi found it among the ruins. Something in him thought the survival of the precious ornament was not due to chance. From now on, he'd protect it with his life. Other trinckets he founds were the texts written by Jalew during his years as a scholar, made heavy bhy their stone binds, but worthy to be preserved nonetheless.

The exiles

The night was falling and Kashi thought about taking shelter somewhere and started to look for an empty house to sleep in. But everywhere he went, there were corpse everywhere.  The smell was even worse inside. But a he explored the buildings, he stumbled accross a hole and a ladder leading to under the ground. He went to check - and so discovered tne entrance to Kimaeslo Ori's underground system.
Water was dripping from above, soaking the naked and bloated dead corpses of goblins and men alike. The stench was almost unbearable.

Kashi was driven downstairs by the sounds of a discussion in pearlite. Tumbling in the dark, he finally managed to distinguish the shape of a round wonan wielding a pickaxe, visibly made upset by the situation she found herself in.

"Corpses, she exclaimed, corpses everywhere, but not a shred of valuables !" no doubt they were looters. Kashi wondered if she was, like the elves above, member of the Kima trader's guild.

"I wish" answered the plump woman. "But no, we're just vagrants. We used to live here but..." she marked a pause and substentially raised her voice.

"My idiotic husband killed a man and got us exiled !"

A moment after, another obese vagrant, without a doubt the said husband, barged in soon after.

"And being exile is what kept us alive, yet I don't hear you thanking me" he yelled at his wife quite angrily. He then turned to Kashi.

"Don't listene to her ; I commit a crime but I already paid for it, now we're just vagrants."

"Iem Lesno, and my wife's Esmin. We're just taking valuables and we'll be on our way."

Kashi chatted a moment with them, but learnt nothing more. It was probably for the best that their roads would not intersect anymore than necessary. They exchanged a few jokes and they parted ways.

The way home

One level under, Kashi encountered another traveller, much better dressed than the previous vagrants. She was wearing a leather armor studded with ovale stone gems and her iron hat sported the symbol of the kingdom of Kima in Fireband Opal, she was carrying an largebronze halberd. Her wool dress was decorated with moon snail shellsand a well kep copper mail signaled her status.
She made quite an impression on the young man. Surely she would need warriors like her in his journey.

He approached her and they discussed for a long time. She was a bit older than him and was a soldier from the trader's guild, tasked with protecting caravans. The guild working primarily during summer, she was free to come and go until next year.

"Why don't you come with me then ?" asked Kashi, without really thinking. "I'm making a two way trip to Bomrek-Laltur and I-
-Well, it is I that would lead you" she answered a bit harshly "But I have no need of your protection"

Which pretty much crushed Kashi's ego and confidence.

"The army of Oddom is marching on Thomocemir, and foul beasts roam the countryside" she explained. "If I have to protect you on your way north, we'll just die you and I. You'll have to ask again after you prove yourself."

Other than that, she was a nice person - they talked a bit more - she was really proud of being the ne who fell Valken, the were lizard, in an ambush in Kimaeslo Ori. When they parted ways, Kashi really thought about coming back to see her again in the future.

Outside, it was almost night. As he would find no shelter in Kimaeslo Ori, he took a quick walk to the next village. When he arrived, people were getting ready to sleep. He inquired about a place to stay, and the villagers - pearlites it seems- indicated him a nice abandonned shack he could borrow for the night, right next the well.

Kashi fell of exhaustion on the ground of his borrowed house, straight into the world of dreams.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 06:47:41 pm by Cathar »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: September 29, 2020, 07:09:50 pm »

Dark and dreary, just like the prospective future...

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: September 29, 2020, 07:12:47 pm »

And yet, beautifully atmospheric!

You mention "the subsiding darkness". Is Mong Kima running on .47.04 now?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1357 on: September 29, 2020, 07:16:00 pm »

Yep, I upgrade as soon as possible. I don't know if the boogeymen will stop spawning at night, because...Minbazkar is a very old world and the laws of conversion between versions are quite a mystery

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: September 29, 2020, 07:29:04 pm »

Very good. Aside from some spelling mistakes, it works well to sell that the bridge town's been laid to waste.

Also liking those tools and the halberd; they look beaten and used, yet taken care of, as such articles might in an increasingly war-ravaged land.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: October 10, 2020, 08:40:30 pm »

(I obviously haven't looked in awhile . . . )

Yay, I love how it's starting!  Those are quite a few interesting folks still hanging around in the ruins.  You managed to wrestle good stories out of the random numbers.

I hope you've enjoyed it so far, because I have.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1360 on: October 14, 2020, 05:03:36 pm »

I mean, I don't really know I'll be honnest. DF is kind of a slow burn in general so it's a bit hard to find major excitement with the game. It"s more like...observing trends develop and the world evolve rather than reading a book that is over when the big bad is defeated. So there's no closure, no final fight the game tends toward. And in one hand that"s cool because I like it that way, in the other handthis may not make for the most compelling story.
I dunno. But if you like it then it"s fine.

Oh and those are not completely random numbers. Lesno and Esri were citizen of Kimaeslo Ori. I'm sure you can find them if you look hard enough in the city reports - they are what happen to people who get banished out of town. DF is procedural, not exactly random - stuff make sense if you look after sense

21 to 27 september 149

The bandits

The following morning, Kashi decided to take back his loot from Kimaeslo Ori to Asuciro so he could begin his journey properly. At this point, he was wearing a set of armor made of bronze, including a short mail falling from his nech down to his knees, an uncoroded breastplate and a copper cap. Because he was so unused to the weight of his metal garments, he had to abandon the copper two handed sword he picked up earlier - hopefully he wouldn't have to fight for his life. His copper blade was more a tool than a weapon and Kashi wasn't a fighter at all.

On his way home, the clerk bypassed two vagrant camps. As it was still morning and he believed he could sneak his way inside the camp, he did so. A lone dwarf was sleeping next to the embers of a fire burnt during the night - his stash unguarded. After spotting the place were their stash was stored, the clerk went there quickly and without making a sound, and assessed what he could loot from it. He was ready to take flight anytime should he be spotted - the vagrant seemed alone and unarmed, but if Kashi was ready to steal frombandits, he wasn't prepared to murder a man.

Among the trash, he discovered a pair of boots, gloves and a full helmet that he put in his bagpack before taking off without waking the dwarf up. Stealing wasn't something he was proud of, but the journey was dangerous. If the gods will it, surely he could give them their gear back, after his mission is complete.

It was raining a lot this dayand Kashi's vision was limited. He walked along the shore for a couple hours, stopping at time to pick up a crab and eat - weighted down by his armor, he didn't thought he would be able to make the trip to Asuciro in one go. He would probably have to ask for a bed in a village along the way.

In the middle of the afternoon, he spotted the shape of a man through the thick water curtain falling down from the sky. A fellow traveller - he thought. Or a vagrant. Who can tell ? As there was only one road through the seashore forest, the men were bound to cross each other. Kashi was cautious and his hand stood close to his sword, gripping its sheath firmly as he saw the man brandishing a long pike.

The man, obviously a vagrant of Egapesor ethnicity, didn't even bothered to ask Kashi for his belongings ; he rushed toward him, screaming.

The clerk tried to calm him down, in vain. The man came close and plunged to attack - Kashi managed to grip his long spear, then jumping backward, clawing it out of the vagrant.

"That's enough !" Kashi shouted. "Let us cease this pointless fighting !"

No luck. The man charged at him barehand. Kashi threw the pike away, grappled the man by the shirt and threw him on the ground.

"What do you want ? Food? I have food ! Just calm down !"

No more luck. The man stood up, jumped on him again.  The clerk threw him away one, two more times. It became obvious that his assailant wasn't giving up without a fight - as desperate the fight may be. Sturdily protected by his bronze garment, Kashi stroke him a couple time with the flat of his blade, and the vagrant eventually fled, still screaming.

It's a dangerous world, out there, thought Kashi, picking up the discarded pike and resuming his travels.

Vagrants at Asuciro

After an uneventful night at a roadside village, Kashi arrived at Asuciro the next day. He noticed, next to the abandonned houses, a large garthering of travelling folks. Most of them civilians, he thought - elves and goblins were sitting on the ground, under the rain, eating and discussing loudly.  Kashi didn't recognized the etnicity of the elves - maybe Iferifiyopi ? The goblins were Osmite travellers however, that he knew for sure.

Kashi went to the travellrs and spoke to them ; they didn't seemed hostiles, and further interrogation didn't reveal any spywork in progress - but again, the clerk wasn't really an investigative type. He concluded, maybe too hastily, that no action was warranted and left the two small communities to their business - and went to the castle.

Kashi wasn't really welcomed with open arms when he arrived at the castle. His lady, Ener, was visibly having a bad day - when she saw the clerk, she berrated violently him for not having began his mission yet.

But Kashi was a patient man and manbaged to calm her down. Really, he said, there is no need to shout - the mission is actually underway. Now equipped and a bit trained to fight off bandits and monsters, Kashi was now ready to make the cross to Bomrek Laltur and to come back with steel.

"You're right, Ener responded, I should calm down.I see you have the situation under control

Her position was a stressful one. The position of great general, responsible to declare and to conduct war, was disliked by the population not only because the people of Kima were of the peaceful kind by heart, but also because most of the previous holders of the title dragged the kingdom into disaster. Be it Great General Lubbe and her desastrous campaign against the elves leading to the massacre of Kostupu - that Ener herself survived thanks to her very young age at the time - or Great General Tis entangling the kingdom in a war against the dwarves of Desoruzol...

Ener felt with reason that people were expecting for her to slip up in disaster at some point.

"People look up to the knights of Thomocemir for the war" she said. "Even if I am Great General, I'm not battle tested and I have no troop of my own, clerk Kashi. I only have you to make my proof. Please come back with the dwarven iron soon."

A visit to Thomocemir

Kashi slept in his house this night. Before heading off to Bomrek Laltu, he wanted to visit Thomocemir. Thomocemir's library was actually the closest in the region, and all Jalew's writing that Kashi was carrying around were slowing him down. He thought there would be no safest place to keep them than next to the elite knights of the kingdom, and the boreder fort wasn't really far.

A couple hours of walking wasn't too much of a delay, especially if it meant he could begin his journey with a lighter bagpack - besides, Thomocemir was a place to visit at least once.

He explained the situation to the scribes of the glass library, who dearly accepted to take care of the book he provided.

"Jalew was not a scholar by heart - he worked as a miner for most of his life" one of them remarked. "But he was loved in Thomocemir as a elder... and his older son will be happy to learn his books could be retrieved."

Zefer was still a skirmisher captain in Thomocemir. He wasn't a scholar either but he knew how to read - and retrieving those artifacts of his fathers bringed him more closure than enacting revenge ever could. Revenge - however - would likely come at some point - after the mourning period.

The rest of the day was spent visiting the fort and discussing with its inhabitants. Kashi met one of his childhood friends, a man named Etus who reently joined the local army.

They eat, drank, and as the day was nearing its end, Etus accompanied the clerk toward the exit.

"I don't believe this story of magic iron for a second" Etus said. "Bronze is the matal of war - if it wasn't, dwarves would lord over us, wouldn't they !"

He marked a pause before continuing.

"But your quest will bring us hope, and we're rooting for you, Kashi ! May you come back with an alliance with the northern kingdoms !"

And the clerk was on his way.

"Hey !" a voice behind him called for his attention. "You're going to the north I heard ?"

It was a goblin of Ansgeki  ethnicity clothed in an Osmite military gear.

"It's a dangerous place. You don't want to go there alone - I'll be coming with you"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 14, 2020, 06:26:13 pm »

Hmm. An Angseki goblin, dressed like an Osmite soldier, wanting to travel with someone looking to make a trade deal with dwarves. That's not suspicious at all.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1362 on: October 14, 2020, 07:01:25 pm »

I must admit that I have my doubts as I began travel with her and sometimes she just hesitates between telling jokes and straight up attacking...I legit hope I can befriend her, we'll see. Else she's Takru, the goblin that was rescued from a civil war, seven years ago. More infos next update

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: October 23, 2020, 04:49:57 pm »

Yup, that's weird.  But what happened in-game?  Were you looking for traveling companions as normal and went "wait, what's up with this goblin, I've gotta see what happens if she joins"?  I remember that other people refused, earlier.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1364 on: November 07, 2020, 01:55:16 pm »

As I try to explain below, she just freezes and shots lines like she's in combat. "Has the tides turned? I must press on !" this kind of things. But we grow closer in the span of a few days and she just don't do that anymore. She's a curious case.

The travel begins
Music

Seven years ago, in 142, Takru has been saved from an insurrection in a dark pit by an adventurer by the name of Islas "Wild Sword Saint" Candoalu, and hired as part of his personnal retinue. Takru participated as a reserve soldier to the subsequent Dezor Uzol sieges of Thomocemir, but did not fought in the front lines.
Without a need to eat and an interest to socialize with her pearlite hosts, Takru quickly became reclusive and would only be seen to the east of the fort, gazing with empty eyes over the battlefield on which thousands of Osmite troops were laid dead over the years.

Takru was - or so she claimed - still loyal to Osme, but after she was branded a traitor, she was left without the means of coming back, and felt like she was rotting away in that small human fort. Because she was of Ansgeki origins, when she heard about the clerk and his trip to Bomrek-Laltur, she immediately seized the opportunity to pack and leave.

The trip should go as follows : the two of them should traverse the territory of the allied dwarves of Kodsakzul, then enter the small human Kingdom of Amegil. Then, it would be cautious walk in the disputed territory between Bomrek-Laltur and Osmestobûb, until their capitale is reached.

In theory, the travel should be safe. No big surprize. Aside from the last miles, the trip should mostly happen in friendly to neutral territory. Wulemaapasi, having some claims on the road, could be a danger, but the elven kingdom had lost pretty much all of its forces in the region. Smooth sailing this is.

Kashi took her on her offer ; he needed a companion capable of fighting, and should Takru die during their trip, he would not deprieve Thomocemir of one of their elite fighters.

Besides, Takru was not bad company - or so it seemed at first. She laughed to every joke,  listened to Kashi with attention and all-in-all be a very good public. But as soon as they left the fort, troubles started to arrive.

The goblin stopped in her tracks and stopped making sounds as she was walking behind Kashi on the road. The clerk, perplexed, turned to her - and saw her struggling internally. She was visibly trying to refrain herself from attacking him. She could not talk herself into assaulting her new companion, nor could she decide to walk alongside him peacefully - as a result, she was left there, in great internal turmoil.

Kashi stopped for a moment with her and discussed for quite a time, until she snapped out of it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A moment later, she was making jokes again and the two of them resumed their travels. Goblins, Kashi thought, are a peculiar bunch. It would probably take some time before the two of them are comfortable with each other.

Friends in Kodsakzul

When the night arrived, the travellers were deep into the kingdom of Kodsakzul. Not wanting to sleep outside and in good terms with the dwarves, they stopped at a little hamlet and asked fpr hospitality. One of the hillside houses they entered was quite lifely - it looked like the dwarves of the small town were having a party.

Many dwarves noted the jeweled bracelet Kashi was wearing - they were not that impressed however by human artefacts. Surely this is difficult to impress dwarves with gems cut by humans - and surely they do not know that a dragon had to be slain for that bracelet to be made.

"You can stay, of course" a dwarf said. "But we're pretty full here, and we won't be sleeping till morning. The drinking mound is empty, tho - if you don't mind the floor, you can sleep there"

And so they did. They saw a lone drunk, sleeping dwarf lazily dropped on the floor and probably imbibed of ethanol.

Kashi and Takru exchanged jokes with the half-asleep drunkard and quickly found a clean spot to close their eyes.

Two confrontations

Kashi and Takru bid farewell to the dwarf the next day, and resumed their travel. As they walked, Kashi tried to interrogate his travelling companion on more important topics. He tried to convince her of the value of fairness and justice - but Takkru only grew more restless.

"What's the point ?" she asked. "Do what you need to get ahead, or fall behind those who do"

Kashi tried to insist a bit more, but seeing his companion's growing emotional distress, decided to call it a day. She's an Osmite, he thought - they are bred and raised to overcompete with each other. Some of that will take time to un-learn. But in the same time, those discussions really helped him to get in the head of people from Osme. That is how they view the world - the endless rat race to dominance is how they protect themselves from the domintation of their peers.

And while humans can at times exhibit a similar behavior, Osmite goblins seem to carry those ideas and behaviors to the extreme. No wonder Takru had a hard time to adapt to Thomocemir.

A couple hours later, they spotted a small camp in the distance. Probably vagrants or deserters. Kashi wanted to investigate - may it be for undefended loot or friendly drifters to recruit to their cause. He approached the camp cautiously, remaining undetected until he could see what kind of travellers they were.

But then he turned around - Takru had disapeared.

Yep, she was making a b-line toward them

Luckily, the drifters didn't pursued - happy to be left alone.

Takru, however, was left frustrated and shaken, as if she had fought the fight of her life - litte did she know that would indeed come, right a couple hours later.

As they were crossing a small hilly terrain, they suddently felt uneasy. Growls could be heard quite near, prompting Kashi to take out his long spear and sword. Takru would have done the same - but turned out she had lost her spear during the day ! Only left with her shield to protect her against attackers rushing to them fast, she stood close to her companion.

Wolves. A lot of them. Kashi threw his pike against a first charging wolf, hitting it un a back leg and pinning it to the ground, then, holding his sword tight, prepare to fend off the rest of them. Takru let out a scream - more wolves came from behind, attacking from the hill.

The fight was relatively short but seemed like it spanned forever. Kashi focused on disabling the wolves at the front, while Takru tried desperately to use her shield to cover his flanks. Both got wolf bites on them, their external clothes would soon be ripped to shreds, but thankfully the beasts did not manage to pierce deep under their mail shirts.

A couple minutes after, Takru was on the ground, wounded and exhausted. SHe had blood over her face - turned out her lip was cut deeply. They washed her wound with water - it should not be very important, but the goblin had troubles not panicking. Kashi cut some meat out of the killed wolves, and walked Takru to the next hillock.

Nothing happened in this small Kodsakzul hillside hamlet - they were well-received and slept in a communal house

Last miles toward the Kingdom of Amegil

Between the kingdom of Kodsakzul and the kingdom of Amegil stands a small, cold, sandy desert - called the Decisive Desert. Dunes of half frozen yellow sand reflected the morning sun like a mirror. In the meantime, the moon was visible directly above the sun, making a sort of partial eclipse which give the whole scenery a very eery feeling.

It doesn't have any significance but I thought it was worth mentionning.

The crossing of the desert was otherwise not very long. A couple hours - maybe the whole morning, but not much more. Kashi took the opportunity to Takru again on her values - maybe to try and teach her the pearlite culture and way of life. Takru did not try to argue... so probably something had change in her mind. Either she had learn the value of fairness and coopération, or she had learn the value of not arguing against Kashi. Either way, she had learn something.

The rest of their conversations was mostly about exchanging jokes and flattery - Takru would react positively to both and throw them back. It is uncanny how positive she acted.
She quickly mentionned not having a family, and vaguely remembering having participated to the fundation of an Osmite pit

After they crossed the Decisive Desert, they were truely in the Kingdom of Amegil. Little is know about this small community. Amegilians looked similar to Pearlites in many ways - their skin was a bit fairer, their eyes orange instead of yellow, and they were a bit shorter in size. They were known to wear green garments - being one of the few civilizations having discovered how to make green dye.

Being a diminutive kingdom in the middle of a frozen wasteland, Amegil never really attracted the attention of Mong Kima. The only thing we know about them is - well, their knowlege of green dye and the legends of their former leader, Prince Ashtal, who carved the territory of his people with his very sword and the help of is giant wren mounted cavalry, defating two nations of elves, the goblin empire of ANsgekstozu and keeping the dwarves of Bomrek-Laltur at a safe distance. Truely the stuff of legends.

It was around midday when they saw the cutout of a man in the distance. A traveller ? Or an amegilian, maybe ? Kashi and Takru came closer.

Turns out it was neither.

It was a creature with a black wrinckled skin, backward joints, three eyes and bat wings. It was roaming the countryside, probably looking for food to feed his liter - it was a creature of the night common of the region - a creature called "Midnight Troll".

Kashi turned to Takru to devise a plan to either fight or flee but to no avail. The goblin was already rushing the creature, screaming.

She jumped at the monster, jamming her shield in his face, wrestling him on the ground and stomping its head. Kashi rushed to assist, but really he was unecessary. It took Takru a couple of second to spill the creature on the soil like a broken clay bottle.

Earlier, Kashi thought of trying to find her another weapon...but Takru was fighting just fine as it seems.

The Lord of Konlimones

Still shaken by the confrontation, the couple of travellers made it to the fisher village of Konlimones. It was a small, but lively Amegilian village. Because people were gathering around the well to fetch water before it turns to ice with the dropping temperature, Kashi and Takru tried to mingle with the population.

They were not really receptive, and apparently did not want to have anything to do with drifters. Hospitality was given reluctantly and the travellers did not feel welcome at all.

When the next morning came, the travellers were about to leave, when Kashi had the idea to pay respect to the local lord beforehand.
They made a short walk to the meadhall, a stone building made of blueish stone. There, they met the lonely lord of Konlimones, an old man by the name of Athem.

Born in year 72, Athem was a veteran of all the wars Amegil waged to establish their territory. He personaly witnessed the end of a rival elven Kingdom. He was polite, but cautious, visibly agitated by the presence of the travellers.

Kashi investigated and tried to push the old man into revealing more, and it did not take a lot of effort to understand. The man's eldest son was a travelling scholar, who, after a life of going from library to library, ended up trapped in a mountain fort in Dezorusol during a pearlite siege, and was killed by pearlite forces. As for goblins - Athem did not like them at all. His grandson has been captured by Osmite snatchers and was currently detained in their capitale city.
Foreigners had bring a lot of hardship in this small Amegilian village, and the old Athem was quite eager to see them gone.

"If you're going to Bomrek-Laltur" he said "then you should not continue up north. Follow the sealine on the east and you should arrive safely"

"Go in peace", he waved as the two walked away. "And do not come back".

In the back of his mind, Kashi thought about trying to wrestle the kid away from his Osmite captor. Should he succeed in his mission, then... maybe it was worth a try.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 02:25:28 pm by Cathar »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 111