Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236372 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1380 on: November 24, 2020, 07:10:17 pm »

Another thing I feel I should point out. last couple reclaims/adventure things I've done, I've noticed there's a distinct lack of steel items in dwarf places. not absent, but way fewer than you'd expect.

They may have some further down/in another storeroom or shop, or being carried by Fortress troopers. As others have said, rumors are also probably an idea, assuming you have the names of the dead and the name of the killer.

Still, among most societies in DF, murder is considered a capital offense (the exception being goblins, who consider violence an acceptable means of settling disputes such as what might have happened here.)

Kobolds would exile her, which is what she'd want. Elves and humans might give a pass if she had some means of proving it was self-defense - which given her disposition and who she killed, it can be assumed it wasn't with 99% certainty - or otherwise execute  her, and dwarves, who rule the site, would execute her irrespective of reason. In this case, if Kashi wanted to operate in the realms of the local laws, then killing her would likely be regarded by the locals as the correct choice, since she'd be sentenced to a hammering for every murder anyway and would likely die from a broken neck, if not a pancaked skull.

Also, depending on where the next town might be set up, could possibly try to use Kashi as a scout if you decide on a mountainous area to take a page from the dwarves' own defenses. Y'know, have him sent back out to find a hilly area with exposed copper or iron veins.

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: November 25, 2020, 07:44:52 pm »

Oof, this is a tricky one.
In-character-wise, best thing for Kashi to do is capture her alive and let the dwarves judge her crimes.

...something that sadly isn't possible in DF adventure mode. : (

I would try to start a non-lethal fist fight, knock her out, and report her crimes to the local rulers.
Comes pretty close to capturing her.
However, i don't know if Kashi SAW the murder, and if the dwarves will even do anything about it.

-I absolutely commend you for your aproach by the way. (not wanting to kill)
Especially given how difficult it is to do anything in a diplomatic way in Dwarf Fortress.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:35:52 pm by HakuryuVision »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1382 on: November 27, 2020, 04:25:24 pm »

So...Murder in response to murder was not the most popular idea. I fear it had compromized the whole operation, since Kashi's now persona non gratta in Rithvir. As expected, the dwarves of Bomrek-Laltur do not approve of the idea of a foreign human going America Fuck Yeah on their criminals... But in the other hand I couldn't let the murders continue, so there's that.

Ah well. The situation was actually a complete shitshow as it usually is when goblin are involved and...probably my action don't have that much importance, so I'll try to make the most of a bad situation and return home

Edit : Nevermind, killing her was warranted as all hell. A bit of legend digging reveals that it's an absolutely huge event we just witnessed, more on next update
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:36:20 pm by Cathar »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1383 on: December 05, 2020, 01:56:32 pm »

Nine graves in the white kingdom

Kashi interrogated the goblin throughly. Of course, his mind was already set on her culpability - The blood of the eight victims were still on the murder weapon ! Symbols of the Empire of Osme were on her chainmail, and a last dead body was cooling in the room she was in.
Although it was possible that she was a reformed Osmite citizen coming to Bomrek-Laltur to turn a new leaf, and she would simply happen to have picked up the bloody spear, the chances were slim. Kashi was hoping for a confession. He threatened, he cajoled, all in vain.

His window of opportunity was about to close. Eight people had died, all of them nobles, and Kashi had to act. Without notice, he jumped on the goblin and tried to wrestle away the pike from her hands, but Azstrog - it was her real name was much stronger than she appeared and snagged back her weapon. Kashi, however, had to try again : a hit of that long pike could easily pierce an armor or open an artery. He seized it again, and this time applied his two hands, managed to wrestle it away from its user.
Takru came to help Kashi to subdue the assassin, but Azstrog saw her coming, and violently scratched her face with her metal glove, almost clawing one of her eyes out.

Kashi was now without a choice. He had to stop Azstrog and do it quick. He jumped behind her and managed to place a rear naked chokehold on her. Hoping that she would lose conscience soon, he dragged her to the ground. He knew that this move could very well be lethal, so he wasn't surprized when he noticed Azstrog wasn't breathing when he released his hold.

Kashi wasn't a killer nor he was even a soldier - killing that goblin felt wrong to him on many levels. But something had to be done.
Outside of the closed room, the panic was general. The fortress' inhabitants were running around like crazed ants.

Kashi and Takru managed to bump into Lorbam, the helpful goblin baron from yesterday, and immediately, he asked him to speak to someone in charge. A king, or a guard captain, or any authority on justice affairs.

"You'll have to discuss that with the queen" Lorbam said while hurrying his pace to some gathering. "But a fair warning, she's is in an extremely foul mood"

The reason soon became apparent : among the victims of the night were :

Kubuk Alåthgusgash, Baron
His wife, Risen Koganor, Countess
Morul Nokimâmid, Countess
Kel Sazirallas, Baronness
Onol Eribomrist, Baron
Esthan Dastotnakas, Baroness
Lokum Dorenlerthet, outpost liaison
Spoiler: Note (click to show/hide)

But most important of all :
Bembul Sherikålath, wrestling champion and King of Bomrek-Laltur since year 72
Spoiler: note (click to show/hide)

King Bembul was killed and had no heir, so that serial murder did collapse his whole administration. The chaos was general and a new ruler had to be found at once. The council of remaining noblemen decided for a large goblin by the name of Kib Bomrekber.

And Queen Kib was indeed in an extremely fool mood. When Kashi tried to approach her, she was swearing under her breath against the "godless, trecherous osmites", swearing for revenge. Kashi tried to talk to her - and to explain the death of Azstrog, but Kib immediately turned against him.

"Well then you're a killer aswell ! Out of my sight, good-for-naught outlander, murderous and vile ! Bomrek-Laltur has no patience for your breed of assassins ! Go back whence you came and don't ever come back !"
And she spat in his face, immediately joined in by other noblement of her court.

Kashi did not extend his stay and took his leave. After all, whatever business he had with Bomrek-Laltur would have to take a backseat after the reconstruction of their administration...
Hopefully, when the dust settle, the dwarves and goblins of the kingdom of Bomrek-Laltur will come back to their senses and see the whole picture.

Azstrog Nuspuciquara "The True" was planning her heist since July 142, when she entered into Rithvir as a peddler. The arrival of Kashi and Takru was coincidence - the worm was already in the apple for more than half a decade, and the culmination of her plotting was devastating.

The road home extends endlessly

Kashi and Takru left the underground city in the morning and started to walk back toward the kingdom of pearls.

Takru's face was damaged by the fight and she became reclusive for a time, as a result. Although she was a fighter and did not really mind the new scars on her face, it took a couple days of travels for her to snap out of her melancholia.

Because their return was hurried, it wasn't as well-planned and they came probably far too close to Osmite territory. Luckily, no encounter.

They soon crossed the Amegilian bordertown of Mipbiiki - totally destroyed and abandonned by its population. Lichen was growing on the old wooden houses, most of them having fallen into disprepair. Probably an urbicide caused by the proximity with Osme, Kashi thought.

Not quite. It was a small town which was destroyed by the Roc Atzul Esteemedyearling "the Ripe Rivers", giant immortal bird feeding on human flesh. Needed reminder that even without the eternal war raging on, Minbazkar remained a dangerous world.
They pressed on for a couple days, until there were back at Asuciro castle, where Kashi could deliver his mission report.

When they opened the door of the small manor however, Takru froze. Kashi had already witnessed her freeze like that, unsure of the behaviour to adopt, as if she was compulsed to unleash unspeakable violence but trying her earnest not to. Kashi closed the door and walked a bit with her again, joking and talking about pleasant things.
Takru was still an Osmite soldier, even tho she was working for Islas and Kashi. Probably - when she saw the queen of pearls, something in her screamed that she should seize the occasion and murder the old lady.

After a walk however, he was now much calmer and could suffer the presence of royalty long enough so Kashi could give his report.
He told her everything. The trip to Amegil, the brawl in the snowing village, the meeting with the dwarves, the visit to Rithvir, the unsuccessful negociations for steel, the nine murders, the change of ruler and the hurried departure. All of that in about a month of travels.

Queen Usu accepted the news with understanding. More than any other, she knew they lived in uncertain times. If an alliance with the northern dwarves was not immediately possible, they would have to make do.

"Thank you a lot for your service" she said. "However unsuccessful, understanding the world around us can only be of use in our future endeavours."

Besides, the merchant guild was doing some negociation of its own in the meantime - everything might not be lost.

Kashi and Takru left the manor.

"I'll walk you back to Thomocemir" the clerk said to his companion. "I cannot thank you enough for the help you provided.
-I don't mind - she answered. I wanted to see that whole region again - to remind me where I'm from. I'm glad that now I kno I'm left nothing of worth back in the north. "

She marked a pause as they walked on the eastward road toward the swamp.

"What will you do, now ?"

Kashi sighted.

"Well - that whole venture feels like a failure. I feel I have to make up for it.

So I'll go to Osme and save the grandchild of Lord Athem"

Alright, so that'll be the final trial of Kashi's story. We're going in the belly of the beast, Bosangasma, capitale city of Osmestobûb.
We will probably fail, and maybe die.

Before I do so, a couple notes on that small venture :
Kashi is a peasant level character, but I trained him a lot. He can fight, swim, is good with words and can be very sneaky, but he is in no way super human, which is why I usually play very, very safe with him.

For that mission, after multiple forays into Osme teritory with Islas, in 142, I can say with absolute confidence that we are not coming back alive if we're brute forcing our way.
We need to be sneaky, and if possible give them a false identity. So, if you have an idea for a false identity, by all means, don't hesitate.

Kashi is not a fantastic comedian, but we need all the advantages we can get.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 06:42:04 am by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: December 05, 2020, 02:18:37 pm »

Oof. So literally everyone he could have negotiated with on a trade deal was dead and the only replacement wasn't exactly in the mood to talk given the circumstances. Wouldn't be shocked if Queen Kib starts a serious campaign over that mess. Goblins are known to be rather violent people by nature and I have no reason to assume they wouldn't be the same way even if they were raised under dwarven culture.

Still, that's a verified enemy actor eliminated (and one who managed to pull the wool over everyone's eyes for a good while at that, so that's a valuable asset the Osmites just lost.) Who knows, assuming the stuff works, it might lead to some commerce in the future.

Can always try masquerading as a travelling scholar. Sure, it's not technically incorrect, but I would assume most would consider him to be a scout, not a scholar, at present. Maybe recover some books from an abandoned castle or some such to help sell the story.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: December 05, 2020, 02:25:00 pm »

Takru was still an Osmite soldier, even tho she was working for Islas and Takru. Probably - when she saw the queen of pearls, something in her screamed that she should seize the occasion and murder the old lady.
I think something's wrong with this sentence.

As for the false identity, perhaps a bard? Can you find an instrument in any of the nearby ruins?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1386 on: December 05, 2020, 02:40:35 pm »

Ah, no she's still technically working for Islas since 142. The game considers her as his travelling companion, even tho she's now accompanying Kashi.
She's also still an Osmite working for Osmestobûb. She has a lot of alliegences, and she's not directly loyal to Mong Kima. It's a bit complicated.

Edit : omg I'm tired. Sorry. It's corrected.

As for the secret identity, yeah it sounds alright. Travelling scholar sounds nice...problem with bard is I don't have any musical skill at all. Maybe I'd need a goblin name tho. Also I feel I'm hyping that a bit too much - our chances of success are very low, I'm not even sure I can reach their capitale alive.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:20:41 pm by Cathar »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: December 05, 2020, 05:33:28 pm »

As long as you have good musicality and a real instrument, you can play pretty well regardless of skill. Same with dancing and good physical stats.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: December 05, 2020, 05:49:31 pm »

Dodge patrols where you can, and bank on Takru in a fight I guess (or hope she sides with you anyway.) Getting in won't be the hard part I'd wager, if the number of times I've waltzed into pits unmolested is any indicator. It'd be getting out with the kid.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1389 on: December 05, 2020, 09:03:50 pm »

Alright.
This was probably my most intense Adventurer quest ever. And I am very very satisfied with the outcome. I'll tell everything in the next update and after that...we go back to Kimaeslo Ori? Impersonating the enemy is absolute poggers, I understand why goblins do that so much.

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 10, 2020, 10:38:12 pm »

That has to be the most dwarvish goblin lady i've ever seen.
Judging by her temper and way of thinking, the dwarves of Bomrek Laltur will be fine with her as their queen.
(Also, i bet she's quite the beauty by dwarven standarts, ooh la la!)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: December 24, 2020, 10:52:55 am »

Alright.
This was probably my most intense Adventurer quest ever. And I am very very satisfied with the outcome.

Wow, I've been away for quite awhile, and it took me ages to read everything.  And now I see you've finished playing the infiltration bit, too!  That was fast.

I wanna say that all of this storytelling has been wonderful, and I greatly enjoy seeing your depictions of our lovely videogame friends getting into trouble.  I wonder when next I'll have the time, or the patience, to go see the procedurally-generated political machinations again for myself.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1392 on: December 27, 2020, 02:56:54 am »

Thanks for reading my stuff. I'm really grateful that people still enjoy my stories, and I'm really glad if I can inspire other.
Merry christmas people

Step at Thomocemir

The road from Asuciro to Thomocemir was rather short – less than a day, but for the two travellers, the time flew even faster. The travels, fights and blunders of their trip had Kashi and Takru taking a liking on each other. Even tho Takru never renounced to her Osmite alliegence, her behavior during this last month of travels had convinced Kashi that she could be relied upon.
Besides, when he looked at the map to Bosangasma, the capitale city of Osmestobûb, Kashi noticed that they would have to cross a big mountain range, in order to stay clear of the dark pits, dug up along the shortest route. Such a detour, necessary to avoid goblin patrols, would lenghten  significantly the part of the trip spent far from civilisation... to the point he would not be able to find shelter in a step village for one or two days. This predicament, benign for a group of people, become deadly to the lone traveller – as the darkness covering the land each nigh routinely devours them.

As much as Kashi didn't want to involve Takru on an operation against her homecountry, he still needed her help to at least get there.

They arrived at Thomocemir, where they rested for a couple hours. Takru didn't liked the fortress of the Riverguard very much – as much as it saved her from the violence of her homeplace, she never thought of it as her home. Maybe it was its overmilitarized population, its pearlite culture and foreign technology. Or maybe it was the pile of corpses, left to rot in the open field to the east of the fortress.

Whatever the case, seeing this wooden fortress inwhich she spent already seven years filled Takru with melancholia – probably the same melancholia which, a month ago, led her to join Kashi in his travels a month ago.

They discussed the matter – travelling with Kashi was now life for Takru. And so it was decided that she would act as a guide one more time. After all, she was familiar with the region, and her presence alone was keeping darkness at bay.

This picture of Takru was gallantly drawn by Caffeine, as a christmas gift, all thanks to him

Kashi borrowed a bronze sword in Thomocemir's armory – considering the dangerosity of his mission, he decided to use every advantage he could get. Against the borrowing of this comparatively high quality weapon, the clerk helped Thomocemir people to clean the corpses on the death field – it took him a couple hours after what, they were gone.

The lost fortress

Although Kashi had studied the map at Thomocemir to prepare his mission, his map were lacking in many aspects. One of which was, ity didn't show settlements of low importance. Such was the ruined dwarven fortress of Vucartogum.

When she saw her companion approaching the gargantuan mountainside ruin in curiosity, Takru had an epidermic reaction.

« I wouldn't go there if I were you » she warned him. « There's nothing here for us – nobody to rescue, nothing to steal and nothing to document »

Built on the side of the mountain  surrounding southern Osmestobûb, Vucartogum marked pretty much the border between the empire and the western kingdoms, that now has cristalized as the main frontline of the war. The huge mountain range, which earlier provided protection to the dwarven defenders of Vucartogum, covered the advance of the experience mountaineers of Osme, who attacked it by surpize in summer 141, and sacked it of all its valuables.
A year later, in 142, Islas « Wild Swordsaint » and Erith « Glimmer in the  dark », travelling adventurers, tried to explore the ruins, only to find out they were still occupied by a very impovrished and aggressive population, ruled over by what the goblin warlord who conquered it. Vucartogum was not even re-attached to Osmestobûb, and its ressources were so mismanaged that even in late 149, the once mighty fortress still hadn't recovered.

Kashi saw a corpse laying in the middle of the massive entry hall, and heard a group of people talking further into the darkness, Kashi decided that Takru was right and left the premisses of the lost fortress.

Maybe, later, this place can be reconquered, but for now it was nothing but a bandit den.

The road to hell is paved with wildflowers

Although it was cold and rainy, the trip through the mountain range was very different that what Kashi expected. It was a rather lively treck, full of wildlife. Mountain goats ran free among the wild flowers while ravens, geese and eagles shared the skies. Streams of pure water were rushing down the mountaintops and flora was blooming everywhere.

Extremely different, indeed, from the desolate landscape Kashi was expecting to witness.

The walk, however, was very long and was only halfway done when the sun started to sink under the range they already crossed. At this point, they could keep on their treck and maybe arrive at Bosangasma before the morning, but conjsidering the danger of the mission, they decided to campi here instead. They made sure that no patrol was about, lightened up a small campfire, eat a meal made of the grilled meat of a wild goat they hunted and dried lettuce they gathered from Asuciro's village and quickly felt into deep sleep.

Night ended soon enough, and the early dew woke the two travellers. They climbed down the mountain at dawn, walked on the valley and then stopped short of the last hour of travels to Bosangasma.
« Takru, give me a name, Kashi asked his companion.
-A name ?
-Yes, a name ; I'll try to sneak around, but in case I'm caught, I want to pretend I'm a Osmite visitor. »

Takru stopped to think, a bit puzzled, then she turned to Kashi again :

« Your Osmite name will be Uno.
-Uno ? What does that means ?
- It means « burial ». 'Cause if you get caught and try to pass for an Osmite, that's where I'll see you next time. Your whole garment screams foreigner from miles away, you're human and wearing bronze armor with no trace of corrosion, you'll never pass for an Osmite in a hundred years.
-What about...I pretend to be a traveller ? Like a travelling scholar ? Like...a philosopher ? They are a wierd bunch, arn't they ? And people do not question them anyway – I believe it can work. »

Takru remained skeptical – but Kashi was satisfied with his plan. Pretending to be a travelling philosopher was but a plan B anyway – his main goal was to remain undetected and leave with the kids without being seen.

« What about me ? » Takru asked. « What do I do ?
-You stay here and you wait for me. We'll go back to Kima together when I have the kids.
-And if you don't come back ?
-Then the world is your oister, I guess ? Come back to Kima alone, or rejoin with Osme, or start a new career as a travelling goat herder ? If I'm dead, I don't really mind. »

At this point in time, Kashi trusted Takru. Her loyalty was something he knew he could rely upon. What he feared was, to the contrary, that she would antagonize osmite soldiers, blowing up his cover or otherwise getting killed.

The clerk did not really care for his own life, and the travel to Bomrek-Laltur opened his eyes about the scale of the world's issue, way to important for him to have any meaningful impact on. But Takru – he cared for. If anything, he wanted the goblin he now considered as his closest friend to live happy, far from the war and far from Osme's corruption.

After taking a long inspiration, Kashi, or rather Uno, travelling philosopher, walked toward the dark fortress of Bosangasma.

Aslu and the bartender

To go to the fortress stricto sensu, Kashi had to cross a large field of connected trenches, whose intersections were marked by the presence of multiple stop-houses with solid wooden doors and crenelled roofs ment to accomodate archers. Even if, from a distance, Bosangasma looked like a big pile of stones and mud, from up-close the defensive purpose of its architecture was made very clear.

Long corridors of dirt would prevent an assailant to use a local numerical superiority to their advantage, while the stop houses and their servents would reduce their numbers and reduce their advance by raining projectiles on them.

Those stop-houses, however, were strangely empty...

Only in one was a single bartender, a human of strange ethnicity,  sitting alone in what seemed to be a small tarvern. But other than its apparent owner, it was empty.

Not wanting to reveal his presence, Kashi pressed on.

Earlier, the clerk feared not to be able to spot the entrance of the fortress itself, but as soon as it saw it, he recognized it immediately.
The building was immense, extremely tall and very large – sounds of grinding and loud yells coming from inside.

Kashi took a moment to prepare himself to enter the building and...was immediately stopped by two people – a girl of small stature, black of skin  with piercing blue eys, and the tavern keeper Kashi saw a minute ago. The tavern keeper spoke first.

The tavern keeper Asno Zolaknokast: Greetings.  My name is Asno Sinfulmuck.
You: Hello, human.  I am Uno Childsavior.  Don't travel alone at night, or the bogeyman will get you.
The tavern keeper Asno Zolaknokast: Everything's good.

Kashi let out a silent sight of relief. Not that he was a particularly good liar, but Osmite people were not very inquisitive and did not question him at all. They had a short conversation in which Kashi asked them vague questions and spoke evasively, and the tavern keeper went back to his tavern.

The girl, however, was more insisting. As soon as the bartender was away, she jumped on Kashi.

« -Save me ! She muttered under her breath.
-Hold on, Kashi answered. What the hell is going on ? Save you from what ? »

The girl, whose real name was Aslu, was captured as a child by Osme. Prior to her abduction, she was the daughter of two travellers of Egapesor origins, a wandering merchant and his caravan guard he ended up marrying.

« I'm looking for a kid called Uquur. » Kashi admitted to her. « Help me find him, and I'll get you out of here. »

The girl nodded and the two of them entered inside of the dark fortress.

The tale of two trolls

After crossing an antichamber that was used to store slumbering beakdogs, th two entered in the main hall. It was an empty stone room with trolls and beakdogs hanging out in the back of the building. Some trolls had an occupation, banging stones together or working with wooden sticks to craft crude bows and arrows. They did not seem to know how to talk but were wearing clothes.

Kashi was about to press on, but another girl threw herself in front of him.

« You're not from here, are you ? » it was a girl of pearlite, or maybe amegilian origins. « Please help me ! I need to get out of here ! »
Kashi nodded, but as soon as he did, a muscular troll wearing a cloak made of gremlin skin noticed them and charged them at full speed. Clearly, the beast had understood what was going on.

The clerk elected to rush forward into the depths of the fortress, closely followed by Aslu. Kashi could maybe defeat the troll – maybe – but fighting here would be a death sentence. His cover would have been blown, and the rest of the castle denizen would turn on him immediately.
The girl wasn't as lucky.  The troll seized her, and after a short struggle, stranggled her and left her limp body on the ground, before starting to wander about, searching for the other two.

This troll could not talk and as such, could not explain to the other trolls the reason of their sudden outburst – if they could, they would probably have joined the hunt. Kashi needed to be more prudent. He could not afford to be caught in the open by one of these monsters. He had little doubt he'd had to fight it on the way out, but hopefully he could ambush it far from the other monsters and maintain his false identity.

Behind them, another fight broke out. Another troll, armed with a silver great axe, had a physical altercation with the troll boyer – the altercation escalated quickly, but only stopped when the axe was jammed deep into the boyer's skull. The axe troll then also wandered in.

Kashi signed to Aslu to remain calm and hidden. The two murder trolls were very close by and Kashi wanted to observe the situation before taking action.

The axe troll passed by – Kashi was hidden.

Apparently the troll was wounded in the scuffle and distress was readable on its face. The clerk wasnt sure to understand, but he tried to talk to him in the absolutely softest voice he could.

The creature could not see him, and could not talk back...but clearly it understood his intonation. The sound of the voice of Kashi clearly calmed it down. The young man made some key-jiggling jokes, which amused the beast – which sound muttered its own name - Stothosmumxu. The only thing he knew to articulate.

Kashi felt understood. A shame, he thought, that the troll cannot speak nor even understand complex phrases. Kashi would have freed him also.

He signed to Aslu to follow him, and they went deeper into the fortress.

They soon arrived at the jail cells – they were empty. The prisonners were outside, helping with chores and expecting rescue. No amegilian kid to be found. They went deeper, scouting the area during long minutes, until....

Clear-voiced prisoner: Please help me!
You: Come with me and I'll bring you to safety.
Clear-voiced prisoner: Thank you!
The troll Nakoukuz attacks the clear-voiced peasant but He jumps away!

It was the same troll that had kill the girl, earlier – and as for the prisonner, his tan skin, golden hair and amber eyes identified him as an amegilian. Maybe it was Uquur ?  Kashi had to stop the troll now.

The prisonner was hit in the shoulder by the troll's massive paw and rolled on the floor, before standing up and booking it. The monster followed him at full speed, Kashi pursuing them both.

That's horrible – he thought. If that prisonner is indeed Uquur, he is going to die in front of me. The chase in the fort was nervewracking – but short. Soon enough, the murderous troll bumped into Stothosmumxu, who stopped them with a violent hacking of its silver axe.

The axe wasn't really sharp and the troll was solid, the hit barely wounded it – but it allowed the prisonner to flee.

At this point, Kashi could escape aswell. The trolls were now pitted against each other, and the two solid creatures would probably take a long time before wearing each other down. But Stothosmumxu had saved the prisonner, and Kashi could not leave it to die. He drew his two swords and jumped on the beast's back.

The fight was short, and soon the creature was down on the fortress gloor. It was time for the clerk to book it as fast as he could.

But before he would, he turned to the troll who saved his prisonner.

« Stothosmumxu, come with me. I can get you out of here » he said.

No response.

« I'm serious ! You don't have to stay in this hell pit. I can find you a place in the kingdom of pearls ! »

The monster looked at him with his glazy eyes, smiled faintly and said nothing. Kashi had to go.

He soon rejoined the running prisonner – the small amegilian man and Aslu. The three of them ran outside the fortress – nobody tried to stop them.

The amegilian prisonner was wounded, but could still walk. Soon, they were outside the fortress and on their ways up the mountain.

By the will of the gods, the prisonner was indeed Uquur, the long lost grandson of lord Athem of Amegil.  He was about 35 now, but malntutrition -or was it goblin curses?- had frozen him at his teenage size. For all his adult life, this grandson of a lord had been slavering away in a goblin pit – an undeserved fate for an amegilian noble.

The group walked in the valley to get Takru, who looked genuinly surprized to find them alive.

It was time to head back.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 07:54:42 am by Cathar »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 27, 2020, 12:26:43 pm »

The little girl died :'(

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1394 on: December 27, 2020, 01:37:38 pm »

Well, the little girl was about thirty years old...But yeah. One of the three didn't make it. I saved the other two, however.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 111