Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 235207 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1470 on: August 05, 2021, 03:16:48 pm »

Yay, story!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1471 on: December 31, 2021, 09:17:34 pm »

This will not be the first time this thread is necroed...This time I took a big, big hiatus to refine my craft.
But now I miss my little people and I want to spend a few in game years with them before I move on to more serious project. So maybe a couple more updates coming soon.
Thanks to everyone taking the time of reading my prose.

Fall 152

The death of Alala

Summer came to an end, and the trees turned to red as temperatures started to fall in early september. In most pearlite villages, autumn and winter were peaceful, tranquil times : the nights becoming longer, travelling would become impractical – darkness was still rumored to kill lone travellers. Work of the crops was lighter, and the rising cold would tend to bring the clans together in the meadhalls.

For Kimaeslo Ori however, autumn was the occasion of redoubling the efforts – the dwarves of the kingdom of Nishtiz would come visit the settlement soon, hopefully bringing with them bars of their magical iron. Everything had to be ready for their arrival : merchanises should be prepared and presented ; roads needed to be cleaned. Meals needed to be prepared and alcohol stockpiled in the tavern. Nishtiz merchants had to be received like royalty – the dwarven metal they were bringing was worth this much – worth its weight in gold, its trade would made the bridgetown shine in the whole kingdom – and possibly in the whole human world. The swords made of that mythical iron had not be battle tested yet, but were deemed to be leagues above their traditional iron or bronze equivalent in terms of durability and sharpness. Swords like this, made of an iron like that would be what will tip the war in the favor of Mong Kima.

The renewed activity, however, caused a substential stress to the elven population. Already irritated by the hardships of life as vagrants in the outskirts of a human settlement, and by the constant workings of the wood furnaces, churning in wood from the neighbouring forest, Alala, an elven looter finally lost his marbles. He walked straight toward the garisson, fist clenched, determined to beat up the first person he would encounter.

And that first person was a man named Om Gulgudrimtil, Spearmaster, one of the best men of Ipan.

Om was taken by surprize, but reacted quickly. Turning around to face his attacker. To his demerit, he did not try to subdue or to scare off his attacker and spear in hand, escalated directly to lethal force. He plunged his iron spear in the belly of the elf, then hit him a couple times with his hands and feet.

The rest of the militia arrived shortly after, called in by the commotion. Commander Totten, first on the scene, joined the fight immediately and wacked the skull of the poor elf with a strike of her decorated silver mace.

Alala was thrown on the ground by the power of the strike. Om stepped over his body and jammed his spear in the poor creature's throat. The stab sectionned the neck completely, sending the head rolling a couple feet.

« There has to be a better way » Tought Ralin, witnessing the gruesome execution.

The princeling arrives

Three days later, a small caravan of the kingdom arrived from the east. It was some eight travellers, whose leader was a very young man of noble blood.

It was princeling Sothro of Thomocemir, second child of Prince Ryukan. Only thirteen years old, Sothro was barely out of childhood, but decided to leave the family fold as soon as he could. The reason – he wanted to become someone important, and to be the second in-line for the succession of his father, after his sister Ini, did not satisfy for the slightest.

Even tho Sothro was raised well by his father to be a model of pearlite virtues, chiefly among which were temperence and humility, Sothro had dreams of glory and self-importance. He knew he had to deserve the story he had written for himself and could not rely on solely his famous upbringing, but he was ready to provide the necessary efforts when he passed the stone portal of Kimaeslo Ori.

A few days to get settled, and he was signed in the militia, to learn invaluable surviving skills while his little suite was given temporary beds and civilian occupation.

Sothro and his companions did not come without a plan however : a few days later, they petitionned Lady Desli for the establishment of a new guild – aimed at promoting and developping craft-related professions. The guild would be called Vispolsekur « Craftmen's edge » (lit – The Sabre of Creating) and would be officialized two months later.

Month off for the warriors

As additional arms were needed to transport trade goods in and out of the marketplace, the militia was laid off for the month of october. The arrival of the Nishtiz wagon was, like it was last year, the opportunity for a great feast. People made merry, the tavern was full everyday. Poems and songs were sang, and the elders told the younger generations about the great rules of old around quinoa and spelt beers.

Histamine and her traders negociated every single scrap of metal they could from the dwarves – they managed to trade multiple anvils of dwarven steel and an important mass of tin.

Bronze was still the metal of war – even for the soldiers of Kimaeslo Ori. Dwarven iron was undoubtly the best metal to craft weapons, but it was so hard to acquire that it would have to be – at least for a time – reserved for a select few elite weapons. Most weapons and armor pieces would have to be made of copper and bronze, metals that allowed Thomocemir to repel Osme for more than two decades now.

Battle testing gear

The party subsided as Nishtiz merchants left the bridgetown. They were satisfied – pearlites had not only brought their wares at a high price, but also gave them a lot of trade goods to insure the continuity of their trades for the years to come. As october came to a close and winter was beggining to make itself felt, life slowed down in the settlement.

The last deadline of the year had been met, so the village could now handle its daily tasks at a more relaxed, leisurely pace.  Trade goods would still have to be produced, but the next market would only occur in spring. There was still a couple chores to be done – the building that would be given to the Vispolsekur guild had still a story under construction and was still lacking a couple windows and the bridge would still have to be continued, including its palace who needed a lot of work still, but those were not urgent tasks.

The night of the 9 november, vagrants came to report monster sightings in the forest, and as a measure of precaution, a team of soldiers was sent tto investigate.

Among those soldiers was a swordswoman by the name of Sas.

Sas came from a very prestigious warrior bloodline. Her father was lord Ulet of Lemhuhqihu, famous mercenary lord, and her older brother was captain Thratnu of Thomocemir, who trained a whole generation of legendary fighters. This is because of the prestige of her family that she was bestowed one of the first dwarven iron sword – blades of extremely high value.

At this point, neither the sword nor its owner had been tested.

She was stationned a bit before her crew near the forest edge – when she saw a shadow moving swiftly toward the bridge, she decided it was a good time to test them both. Whatever creature it was, she would have to fight and defeat on her own.

Sazs reeled in horror when she discovered her foe was a werebeast – Bax Ngasmasong – one of the spawns from late Lord Cado, that we met earlier in our story. Were-monitor lizard with orange scales such as those who terrorized the subcontinent for decades.

Bax, human from the southern continent, had survived one of Cado's rempages, the 22 of may 118, only to wake up far from society, with an unsatiable hunger and afflicted by the curse of Pasmug.

Since last year, Bax has been roaming around Kimaeslo Ori. Last winter, he even snagged off and eaten an elven vagrant.

Sas jumped on the creature, striking at the arm with her shining blade. For a moment, she felt as if she missed – the blade had gone through the creature's arm without slowing. Only when she realized that her foe was missing an arm and the ground was bright red under the moonlight, she understood what happened. Surprized by the degree of sharpness of her own sword, she redirected her blade swiftly and this time, hit the creature at the abdomen.

The abdomen offered no more resistance than the arm and this time, the whole upper body of the creature detached itself in an explosion of gore.

The legends might be true, Sas thought. The dwarven iron might very well be a miracle metal and the key to the war – and Bax, the weremonitor lizard, shall trouble the kingdom of pearls no more.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:27:42 pm by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: December 31, 2021, 09:50:36 pm »

Excellent test of the fabled iron of the mountain folk. Sharp as any wrought by dwarven hands, it seems.  Or perhaps these particular children of Pasmug have a weakness to the metal...

Still really happy that tweak to the entity worked, that coulda been so much worse with an iron or bronze blade.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: December 31, 2021, 11:24:31 pm »

The abdomen offered no more resistance than the arm and this time, the whole upper body of the creature detached itself in an explosion of gore.

MAKE THAT DWARF-METAL SING, LADY
The Pearlites have been struggling along with lesser equipment for so long now—you show the impact of the upgrade beautifully. What's the combat log look like?

Very happy to see Mong Kima rolling again :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1474 on: January 01, 2022, 09:20:25 am »

The combat log looks like a monty python sketch

Spoiler: Let's call it a draw (click to show/hide)

Exceptional steel swords are extremely effective against unarmored opponents it seem. I really can't wait to have a real military test for them. With the expention of the military especially, I hope we can start expanding soon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 01, 2022, 07:25:44 pm »

I'm just glad to see updates :)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 02, 2022, 02:04:39 pm »

Ahaha, beautiful. Neat to see which bits you streamline for smoother narrative, too.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 05, 2022, 09:18:58 pm »

Good to see you back! : )
Even after all this time, i'm still really invested in the fate of the pearlites.
I hope the dwarven 'magic metal' will tip the scales in their favor!

Everything about this is perfect.
Especially the part about the trousers.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 05, 2022, 11:52:08 pm »

This will not be the first time this thread is necroed...This time I took a big, big hiatus to refine my craft.
But now I miss my little people and I want to spend a few in game years with them before I move on to more serious project. So maybe a couple more updates coming soon.
Thanks to everyone taking the time of reading my prose.

Cool!  Thank you for further illustration of this fun stuff.  And if you're going to tackle something different in the future, I'd be glad to see it, too.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 06, 2022, 02:52:02 am »

Very nice word-crafting, Cathar, keep us up to date with the goings-on of our favourite wanderers.
    Pictures are awesome as well.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1480 on: January 09, 2022, 06:04:11 pm »

Good to see you back! : )
Even after all this time, i'm still really invested in the fate of the pearlites.
I hope the dwarven 'magic metal' will tip the scales in their favor!

I never really left lol, work is taking its toll on my health and on my free time, and I have discovered For Honor, which is another game I want to become good at. Oh and also, I wanted to refine my art. So after training in artistic mont Wu Dang I'm back with a vengence and better visuals hopefully.
Cool!  Thank you for further illustration of this fun stuff.  And if you're going to tackle something different in the future, I'd be glad to see it, too.

I have been working on Kaihou No Tabi, a little fancomic of For Honor, but this is a project that has no comparison with MK in terms of scales. MK is an illustrated in-depth observation, anthrpological and historical of a simulated kingdom over the span  of 27 years. KnT is just me faffing about. But if you want, here goes :

Very nice word-crafting, Cathar, keep us up to date with the goings-on of our favourite wanderers.
    Pictures are awesome as well.
I'm just glad to see updates :)
Ahaha, beautiful. Neat to see which bits you streamline for smoother narrative, too.

Thank you :)

Winter 152

Three years have pass since the Thaguk Alnos first came to the destroyed town of Kimaeslo Ori and started rebuilding it... but to the members of the initial group, it felt so much longer. So many thing happened already – the migrations, the trade for steel, the fight against cyclops and were-lizards. With the immigration and the families bearing children, there were almost one hundred human souls affiliated to the Thaguk Alnos – this is without counting the vagrants, both elven and human, who were living in the forest or down in the tunnels. Three years – this is what it took for the ruins left over by the armies of Osme to become an lively village again.

Feeding on the ashes of the trees of the burnt forest, the new sprouts were growing fast – hopefully,  at term the woods will be lusher than before.

Osme clashed lightly with Thomocemir and the dwarven kingdom of Lålrigoth in the south, to no avail – a goblin warlord by the name of Astruk Aluicev attacked Thomocemir with a small squad – routed easily, she then redirected her attack toward the dwarven city of Thabostlor where her troop was completely anihilated.

Waka-waka, an old gorlak, fiercely devoted to the kingdom of Lålrigoth, participated to every defense of his town of Thabostlor, including this one

This is the content of the politics of the later months.

Of course, Osmite warlords were probably readying more serious troops and no doubt the storm will come after the calm – but for now, the world was at peace.

The visit

For once in a long while, pearlites were not running to meet a deadline or to solve an urgent issue.  Food was plentiful, the tavern's shelves were stacked with alcohol and the morning light rose over an uniform blancket of white.

Near uniform, in fact, as the heat of the poorly insulated forge kept it off of the main place. So soon after dawn, only the hammer strikes and the intemittant cries of the farm animals in the distance were breaking the silence. It would take a couple more hours before the streets fill with the bridgetown citizen and the local soudscape with ambiant chatter.

A couple knocks responded to the hammer strikes, and the heavy door opened. Kaos was still finishing to hammer the edge of a dwarven iron blade – he quenched it in water in a cloud of vapor. He looked at the edge with a bit of disapointment – it was not as sharp as the first models he forged. He would have another chance – he could not strike the thunder every time. Besides, the weapon was not only still usable, but still way better than traditional iron blades anyway.

“Are you the master smith Kaos?” asked a voice behind him.
“Yes and no” he answered. “This is my forge, but I am very far from being a master”

He marked a short pause, putting the blade on his anvil before turning to his visitor. A red haired teenager he've seen once or twice. He arrived – Kaos thought – a  couple months ago, and was described as vaguely important.

“I come to collect the weapons for Captain Toki's squad” the kid said. “There should be a couple axes and some armor pieces for us.”

Indeed, Kaos had forged what he was asked to forge. - axes with heads of metals he could find, some iron, some bronze. A couple heads were made of copper as tin was sparse – those would have to be replaced whenever possible. 

He put that gear in a rope reed bag and handed it to the kid. It was heavy and cumbersome – for a moment, Kaos doubted that his young guest could carry it alone.

“I'm fine, don't worry” the kid said, while nonetheless putting the bag carefully on the ground. “But I wanted to ask ; do you intend to make axe head in dwarven iron ?”

Kaos shook his head. For one, he said, it was not up to him. With the rarity and the price of this metal, he was of course not owning any of it – the raw material and the resulting blades belonged to the community.

“The officers don't believe it's worth to make axeheads out of dwarven metal” he continued. “Since the swords can lop off limbs with ease – and can pierce through Osmite mail without difficulty – there's no ned for more top heavy weapons.”

He noticed the disapointed look on the kid's face. Of course, he thought, the kid is in Toki's squad, which is an axe squad.

“But don't worry” he insisted. “You'll have excellent axe-heads. The best axe heads in the kingdom – they'll go through helmets and skulls. No need to use dwarven alloys for that.”

The kid smiled, picked up the bag with great effort then left the forge.

Tirelessly the bridge grows

Because the winter months were so calm, the Thaguk Alnos took the opportunity to work on the bridge. Two projects were calling for advancements especially :

First, the Vispolsekur guild building needed a couple more stories, glass windows, furnitures and decorations to make it fitting for craftmen's gatherings.  This was a rather simple building made in white bricks, easily acquired from the higher levels of the mine.

Second : the new water palace – a new residence for the noble family, which will allow Lady Desli to  move from her house in the administrative center. Not only it to liberate some space to gather the robe nobility in one place, but also provide a more fitting place to live to the lady of an increasingly rich trading town. It is a less urgent, more long-term project – but as the palace needed to look extravagant and luxurious as part of its very function, it needed  a score of exotic ressources, chief among wich was a blue, shiny decorative stone – microline – found in the deepeer levels of the mine.

Years ago, extracting microline was a dangerous process – the underground was unknown, and the old gods, sleeping in the deep caverns, would suddently wake up and crawl their way up – part of the mine would collapse, flooding entire levels with salt water.
When the same veins of stone were exploited again, in winter 152 however, no incident was recorded.

Large rooms were carved in the deep granit layer – where most of the microline was found. This mining enterprise created a lot of byproducts – large swabs of granit for one, that may be used in making strong fortifications, but also wide, empty underground rooms.

Surely, we don't want people to sleep here – we're not troglodytes – but maybe at terms, we can make a small temple dedicated to the gods of the deep ?

The state of the army

Because so little happened during the three months of winter, maye a word on the state of the army. Having been in a state of constant hires, the army of Kimaeslo Ori was now counting fourty human souls : almost half of the population of the village was under arms – and weapons were produced at fast speed by Kaos and his assisting furnace operators.

Also Desli and Totten were not communicating very much on their strategy, it was becoming increasingly clear that the constitution of a very powerful force was not meant to defend the bridge only – far too much expenses were made into the production of this fighting force to simply use it to ward off marauding werebeasts and other night creatures. The town was waiting anxiously the moment it would be announced Kimaeslo Ori would march on their neighbouring ennemies – the independant towns of Edetledir and Vucartogum.

The old barrack is starting to feel cramped

Beast units were also be readied to complement that already powerful strike force of 40 armored fighters. The guard dogs, whose pack had suffer substential losses since the attack of the cyclop Aca « Fighting Mountain » Rightlilacs last winter, were bred and their puppies have now become adult. Figaro trained most of them. At least until larger beats could be tamed and bred, they would be a great addition to the regular units.

Winter 152 was probably one of the most peaceful season Minbazkar has ever know, and it allowed for a lot of architectural and organizational advancements. The people of the Thaguk Alnos would pray the gods for it to continue – without much hope for their prayers to be answered.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: January 10, 2022, 03:29:48 am »

The town's looking quite cozy. Let's hope it stays that way, though it sounds like the militia is getting restless (probably from being on top of each other during training. :P)

Word of warning, sending out offensive expeditions or recovery jobs is a little buggy, so don't send the Militia Commander's squad in case a mission breaks.

If it weren't for the danger and lack of bodies, I'd think a dedicated cave watch and silkworker's place would be in order so the dwarf traders could be on the receiving end of some finery for sale not typical of human towns. But the sane part of me just automatically assumes the first attempt at large scale silk harvests would end in like a half a dozen weavers getting eaten by giant spiders or something equally awful.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1482 on: January 10, 2022, 09:32:13 am »

I should probably have mentionned it even tho it's not too much a big deal, but we're already making use of spider silk, altho we don't typically sell it, and it's mostly used for the army : when a soldier has complete equipment, he or she received a cloak - white for soldiers, blue for officers - so I can see at a glance who is still needing gear. As you can see from the screnshots, we're not there yet.

Right now the main dangers in the underground is...water based. And stone based too. It forced me to use burrows to restrict the access to unsafe part, but we havent had a casualty since summer (and casualties remain extremely rare now). Monster population seem to leave us alone for now.

What I want to do is to expand when we can, which means some of our squads will probably attack, capture and defend the abandonned towns to the east (Edetledir we have a solid claim on it since it was a pearlite town, and Vucartogum is abandonned and ruled over by goblin bandits nobody will miss).

It should not be a big deal once we have complete or semi complete equipment, but it also means we will have to send squads away permanently, so in any case I'm not sending the two unique squads (commander and hearthcaptain's).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: January 10, 2022, 09:58:37 am »

Ahhaaa, that's a neat little system for the cloaks. I like it.  :)

I only mentioned it cause I was thinking giant cave spider silk is more valuable than most fabrics, ergo high quality giant spider silk means more expensive stuff is brought by traders (in the case of dwarves, potentially more steel things to recycle.) Course it's just as likely they bring something else with a bunch of expensive decorations on some wooden junk nobody would even want.

Could dig out a dorm for new arrivals intended for deployment maybe (or reuse some of the leftover space in the microcline mines.) Latter one'd probably look a bit ghoulish in-universe, but it seems like space is starting to get tight topside around the main town. But, I'd wager it'd still better than sleeping out in the rain or above a noisy tavern after training all day.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: January 13, 2022, 01:42:52 am »

Nice.  A slice of life episode.  I liked the 'average day'ness of it.  (not biased at all, of course)

Keep up the engaging chronicle, Cathar.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 111