Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 234998 times)

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1515 on: June 23, 2022, 04:03:04 pm »

Very, very happy to see this back! : )
Sorry to hear about the lemons, are you okay now?

I love how the pest control is treated like a little war, with preparations, camping, and everything.
Islas reasoning is also great, surprisingly compassionate guy for a former corpse looter!  ;D

-Can it be? The Pearlites will finally start their counterattack?
All glory to Mong Kima!!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: June 23, 2022, 04:15:35 pm »

Hell yeah, monkey murder. Only thing worse than thieving wretches like that are keas and only because they fly. The region's better off without them.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: June 23, 2022, 07:30:08 pm »

Lovely art and writing as always! Don't worry about timeliness - someday, future readers will come across this topic and read it from end to end, and speed won't matter to them.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: June 24, 2022, 03:01:47 am »

Time to paint a tiny monkey skull on my armour, then, it's just 11 more for the collection . . . . . . . . .
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1519 on: June 24, 2022, 09:41:24 am »

Very, very happy to see this back! : )
Sorry to hear about the lemons, are you okay now?

Don't worry, I'm fine. I'm suing life so it gets its lemons back (what am I supposed to do with these).

-Can it be? The Pearlites will finally start their counterattack?
All glory to Mong Kima!!

Yes !! Next update is in the oven, but battles have already occured ! Payback is on its way !

Lovely art and writing as always! Don't worry about timeliness - someday, future readers will come across this topic and read it from end to end, and speed won't matter to them.

Thanks ! Altho you may overestimate the staying power of that AAR (which is flattering but still)

Hell yeah, monkey murder. Only thing worse than thieving wretches like that are keas and only because they fly. The region's better off without them.
Can't they just like pick berries like any other non sapient primate ? Ah, we'll make furcoats out of them.

Time to paint a tiny monkey skull on my armour, then, it's just 11 more for the collection . . . . . . . . .

Maybe I can design a 12-monkey theme statue to put on your house, for when you'll leave the boot camp and return to civilian life?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 10:01:45 am by Cathar »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: June 25, 2022, 01:52:16 am »

<snip>

Maybe I can design a 12-monkey theme statue to put on your house, for when you'll leave the boot camp and return to civilian life?

Hmmmm.  This actually sounds like a goal for eventual retirement from the militia . . . . . . I like it!
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1521 on: August 07, 2022, 06:49:41 am »

Winter 154

Friends, it is time. The war against Osme has started in 133 : twenty one years ago ! For twenty one years, we suffered the raids, the hunts, and the pillages of Osme on our territories. Both locale warlord retinue and gigantic state-patroned armies have raided our settlements – and the Aconilun paid the ultimate price for trying to defend itself against them. For twenty-one years, therefore, we stood within our walls, hoping the rampages would stop. Our timidity only emboldened our tormentors

This part of Pearlite history is now over. Osmite may only understand violence, but violence is a language we learnt how to speak. This winter of the year 154, we bring the fight back to our enemies at last.

As such spoke Lady Desli, adressing the crowd of the town, gathered in front of the palace. She then turned to Commander Totten, and officially ordered her to launch an offensive before the end of the year.

The end of the year – that was only three months. Very little time... or so it would have been if the town's army had not prepared for that event for years.

Startegy and preparations

Early december wasdedicated to lay the groundwork for the offensive. Every army officer would be invited to give its opinion on the operational strategy – the meetings were held in the new bridge barracks and allowed a plan to quickly emerge.

Two operational goals were isolated : firstly, the operation would aim to shock Osme out of its momentum. So far, Osme never has been contested on the territory it claimed. To feel threatened in its own advance would have for effect to slow down their conqust and focusing on securing their holdings. That, in turn, would allow the eastern kingdoms to breath easier for the following years.

The second, more long term goal, would be to gradually remove Osme from the north of the Sea of Singing, a large salt lake around which the Empire is coiled like a snake.Pushing their forces to the south of the lake would allow for pincer attacks with the southern allies and would limit their reach severely.

North of the Sea of Singing, there is three Osmite holdings : Udsmunstu, Ngomzogast and Bostastozu.  Eastward of those, it is the much more defended Osme mainland, standing over cursed ground that we will not come close to for now.

« Our goal remains to defeat Osme, not to exterminate its population » noted Uzu. « Time is not a sparse ressource for us – let us absorb their villages instead of burning them. »

After some deliberation, the officers saw the wiseness in his words.

« You're right, actually » approved Ipan. « Taking and holding those settlements would allow us to keep a military presence north of the salt lake. The utility of those would go beyond our war against Osme. »

It was the first time Mong Kima would go on the offensive. Its army was prepared as much as it could be – and could now only pray to Ino and Edri that no oversight would come to counteract their plan.

The siege of Udmunstu

A long, long time ago, before she even came to the vagrant group that would become the Thaguk Alnos, Histamine has been trained in the art of strategy. For years now, she has been waiting for an occasion to put her quite unique skills to the test – and now was the time. As the most learned tactician of the army, she was put in charge of designing the plan and to put it in application.

She knew her skills were untested and her formal education rusty. Besides, the plan decided by the military council forbid quick action. Her first idea was to use heavy troops to inflict destructive sieges over the three settlements one after the other, then call the assault troops back and prepare for the counter attack from the central Osmite army – shock and awe tactics would lay waste to both population and morale of their enemy... But such tactics would be extremely unpopular among the peaceful pearlites, and would not allow long terms occupation of the banks of the salt lake.

Therefore, she decided upon a more modest plan : the capture of Udsmunstu.

Of the three holdings, Udsmunstu was the most westward and the less defended.
Osme had gone sloppy and allowed itself to over-extend – they definitely did not expect to be attacked on newly claimed ground. Totten's army would see them pay for that oversight.

Udmsunstu was a village of one hundred souls – their fighters were picked directly from their citizenry. They had neither trolls nor mounts. Victory could be achieved without a doubt.

The siege of Udsmunstu would happen in three steps. First, a reconaissance raid would have to be launched – not only to supply the army on the back of the enemy, but also to make sure that Udmunstu village was not underestimated. In a second step, its army and officers would have to be broken somehow. In a last step, the village would have to be seized and its population forced into submission.

First phase of the attack, and therefore the beggining of the siege, began early in the winter, around the 10 of December. A large part of the army was moved directly next to the Osmite village, where it established its camp. The camp was well supplied and manned by twenty heavy infantrymen and Histamine's crossbowmen.

Histamine wasted no time in gathering intelligence. The 13 of December, the army infiltrated the trenches of Udsmunstu, completely undetected – they mapped as much as they could of the trench maze, took notes of the defenders position and raider their supply depot.

The raid was fruitful, somehow. A bit of metal, some cultural items, and some ammos. Udsmunstu was neither wealthy nor well defended.

Their nobility was comprised of three goblins : Enforcer Uspum Burostosp, Warlord Ospon Nonumegema, Commander Nique Sasgusbgulo. The three had a military background ; they did recognize they were about to be attacked and requested reinforcements from their neighbours. Two dozen soldiers managed to slip in the village, but that was too little too late – soon, the army of Kimaeslo Ori would be upon them.

Onto the breach

After that reconaissance round, Histamine recognized that very little was holding the village together. : loyalty wasmore suggested than actual, order was what you woudl expect of a village where veryone genuinly believe the right thing to do is to murder each other, morale was the morale of a couple villagers looking for  way out.

Without their nobility to hold them together, they would fold – this much was clear. She then devised a plan : the army would have to be split in two – one team would infiltrate the trenches and slay the noblemen, the other will keep them busy outside the time for the deed to be done.

The five of January, the army laucnhed its attack. The infiltrating team progressed quickly through the trenches, thanks to its earlier exploration. They found the tower where the nobles were, bashed its lock open and stormed the room.

Lord Opsong Nonumequema was fell upon immeidtaly by a master swordsman by the name of Lurit. Three crippling blows later, and the lord expired his last breath. His retainers did not put much more of a fight. The enforcer Uspum was slain by Dag, the master swordswoman who defeated the invasion on her own, last spring. Commander Nique fell last – slain by a swordsman by the name of Zebna. And like that, in less than ten minutes, the village was decapitated.

Outside, Captain Ipan havd launch his diversion attack, which quickly turned into an ongoing pursue with uncontrollable momentum.

The army, quickly put together since December, was completely shattered by Ipan's charge and immediately dispersed.

When the infiltration team came back from the village, it was in the cries of terror of Udsmunstu regulars.

The siege resumed, but safe for a miracle for Udsmunstu, the outcome was already decided.

The conquest of Udmunstu

After that flawless victory, Histamine's squad was recalled to the town, where the new quickly spread. Kimaeslo Ori celebrated in the Candies of Jade tavern – songs and dances were performed.

“We won !” Lesno cried with a ale mug halfway spread over his rugged coat. “Hahaha ! I knew we could push the goblins back ! Serves them right !”

Suddently, the tavern became eerily silent – someone quickly called Uzu and his men. The young man seized Lesno by the arm, with a non-amused expression across the face.

“Lesno, we talked about this.” he said, while driving him out. “Don't try to interact with the citizen.”

With Lesno gone, the party resumed as if nothing had happened.

Three or four days from there, in the town of Udsmunstu, Ipan and Dag were planning their next move.They waited until they were all recovered from their last assault – that siege would continue for nineteen more days.

Then, in the morning of the 24 of January, a delegation of villagers from Udsmunstu approached the besiegers. They were led by a woman by the name of Tiquo, and they have come to negociate their surrender.

Ipan conducted the negociations – the population would not be harmed, and Tiquo – the de-facto Lady, would be spared the usually mendatory live burrial reserved to surrendering nobility. In exchange, the town would have to pledge allegence to the crown of pearls and recognize Ipan as their new direct master.

The terms were too good for the goblins, who accepted immediately. Before the day was through, Ipan was sitting o the Lord's throne, and started to devise plans to transform those horrible trenches into what he wanted to be a peaceful, aboveground, human village.

A note on the price of war

This is mostly overlooked, but war is an expensive, very expensive hobby. By all account, that siege was a complete success -no pearlite live lost, an unconditional surrender from Udsmunstu, a rather short operation overall – it was enough to throw the town into negative growth for the quarter.

The latest rapport of Bookkeeper Ozo

Most of it is caused by the price of gear and clothing leaving the town without being exhcnaged for value, but it highlights the main price of conquering for war : producing an army is a very big investment. Dag's and Ipan'ssquad would have to be completely replaced, which means 20 heavy armors to be produced again, and twenty weapons to be crafted, not counting the (unpriced) opportunity cost of training twenty new recruits. Having the numbers on its side and no regard for life, Osme can, of course, afford to send wave after wave of self-equipped soldiers until their numbers overhwhelm their target's defense...But we do not have that kind of luxury.

After that victorythe industry will have to be driven at breakneck speed. It would be necessary to perform the two next village captures of Ngomzocast and Bosastozu, necessary to drive Osme from the northern banks of the Singing Sea.

Lady Desli's strange box

As the town was exctatic after their victory, and with the price of war being that expensive anyway, the blacksmith decided they could afford one more additional expense : as Lady Desli was manifesting more and more vocally her desire to have a coffin made out of dwarven iron in her room, maybe now was the time to humor her wishes.

Dwarven metal was melted in very high quantity to produce that finely-crafted strange piece of furniture. It was then promptly moved into her room – the gods know what she would do with it. Regardless, Desli was happy, and in her happiness, passed a decree forbidding the export of coffins.

Luckily, it iw not a good that the town was used to trade – although the other noblemen are starting to show concern for her unusual attraction for death related items, and feared that her growing obsession could lead her to a very dark path.

A  word on the town's construction

Because the main event of this quarter was the assault on Udsmunstu, it totally eclipsed the work done at home – still substantial. Two rather large achievements were performed : firstly, Lady Desli's dining room have been completely built out of stone, and now would only lack mendatory tables, chairs and decorations.

Secondary, the second floor of the new barracks was now don, and the third, reserved for archery training, was underway.

The bridge's expansion was now built at the three quarters, and only a couple years were now necessary to complete it.

The future was looking bright for the upcoming year 155.

PS : I've been playing this game for 30 in game years. Best birthday
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 06:55:59 am by Cathar »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: August 07, 2022, 07:14:10 am »

30 is quite a lot, and personally I only had one fort pass that mark, so congratulations (on both that, and the raid)!

Why are those food stocks so low, it makes me nervous :P
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: August 07, 2022, 02:59:27 pm »

Flawless victory!!
(I remember how wrong my first raid went. *shudder*)

That chart about debt, how did you look that up?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1524 on: August 07, 2022, 03:42:33 pm »

30 is quite a lot, and personally I only had one fort pass that mark, so congratulations (on both that, and the raid)!

Why are those food stocks so low, it makes me nervous :P

Don't worry ! Most of our food is prepared into lavish meals who go into "other". We may lack alcohol, but when push comes to shove we have an unlimited aquifer underground. We're not starving anytime soon !

Also thank you :)

Flawless victory!!
(I remember how wrong my first raid went. *shudder*)

That chart about debt, how did you look that up?

Thanks !
So, about that chart, it's just an open office calc chart. Value produced is the sum total of the fort value minus the sum total of the fort value of last quarter. Seasonal import and export are respectively the value of import minus import of last quarter, and export minus export of last quarter. Debt is the overall trade deficit (overall import - overall export). Citizen comes with a bit of gear, which launches the import to the sky, and I intend to fully repay the debt it gives me.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: August 07, 2022, 09:13:46 pm »

Honestly I wouldn't have even thought about the cost of gear for occupation forces and the like regarding a fort/town's economy. Tis a neat little detail to take into account.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: August 14, 2022, 08:42:38 pm »

That is an excellent piece of art, there, with The Coffin attended by the totally-not-a-necromancer-wannabe leader.  It's menacing and delightful.

Thank you so much for continuing with this world, and congratulations on 30 years of it!  Hmm, my longest runs in a single world have been in the teens, I think.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1527 on: August 19, 2022, 05:26:18 am »

Thank you guys :)

Next update is on the way - spring 155 has been played and I'm now making some quick illustrations. Without spoiling much, let's say when we feared attacking Osme would be kicking a wasp nest - we were not mistaken. Violence ahead.

I am very curious, since we're now set on our path to conquest, if we can absorb Osme's goblin population and get some goblin (then later on trolls?) migrants in time. I hope so.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: August 19, 2022, 12:33:31 pm »

I can already see the justification for goblins too.

If the reprisal force is repulsed with minimal Pearlite losses, then the powers that be among the Osmite government are going to look horrendously weak and inept. Picture it to the goblins - some backwards-ass nobody rural humans not only seized territory, but also thrashed the last couple punitive expeditions. Of course some goblins would see that kind of loss of face as their cue to throw in with the apparently-stronger and more competently-led humans.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1529 on: August 22, 2022, 09:46:53 am »

I want to put things into perspective though ; we just captured a village of about a hundred souls, without standing army. This victory is more significant for Mong Kima (as a first time we ever gain ground on Osme) than for Osme (who experiences territorial fluctuations every year, especially in the north).

Even in the specific theater of Osme vs Mong Kima, that victory does not offset the fall of the Aconilun five years earlier. This might be the start of something...But it's hard to tell at this point.

Right now, our wargoal is kept within reasonable boundaries : booting off Osme from the northern shores of the Sea of Singing to reclaim territories lost by human kingdoms in the past ten-fifteen years. But even that would not count as a return to the starting point, as Osme also captured territories in the far north and in the south.

The war will likely continue for a long, long time.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 111