Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236256 times)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1575 on: January 21, 2023, 11:34:29 pm »

Also not sure if I've ever posted here. Been a great read, and... yeah, some stuff really isn't going well, is it. Lot of controversy over Kitfox and all.
So far I have also stuck to 47.05 (actually been completely taking a vacation from DF entirely as of late), in my case mostly because it would be absolute hell to add graphics for my mod - if only because it's really rather too large. It adds some new weapons to the game, and with the way graphics works, that means drawing weapon sprites for the vanilla races as well as the custom races added by the mod, and of course drawing sprites for that is no fun either.

To end on a less gloomy note, kudos for taking it this far, that's no easy feat. If you choose to keep going publicly, I'm all in favor of that decision. And if you choose to withdraw and keep it going only for yourself, I get that, too - I won't hold anything against you for that. It's your choice to make, and I'm glad you chose to involve the rest of us at all.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1576 on: January 22, 2023, 09:26:11 am »

yeah, some stuff really isn't going well
The long and the short is : I'm hoping against hope that the concerned people will realize that their actions color how we are collectively perceived, start to weight the gravitas of their responsabilities and act like adults in the future. That's something that may happen after all. In case it doesn't, I'll prepare a raft for myself because I'm not sinking with the ship.

Whatever happens I'll leave an adress here so you can always follow how things develop in my virtual ant farm.

Anyway, that's all I have for that situation, now back to MK seasonals reports and discussions

kudos for taking it this far, that's no easy feat.

Honestly I love drawing, I love that game and I love that save. Spending time in MK is not work and that's why it will likely never stop (short of save corruption)

So . . . the bridge doesn't count as a megaproject??

Only if he puts a giant bronze construction over it with each leg on different side of the bridge a la Colossus of Rhodes :P

That's an idea... But January is the only month where the sea freezes in Kimaeslo Ori. Working on water may be extremely impractical for that reason (and bronze colossi have an history). Making stuff out of bronze would be a testimony to our vanity, which is great for a megaproject though.
A large fortification built out of living quarters. Somewhere between a castle and an apartment building.

I'm writing that idea down....But it's not Regal enough. Too practical, when we need a money sink

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: January 22, 2023, 09:39:40 am »

Dig into the ice, quickly build damming walls, pump out the reservoir under the bridge, begin construction?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: January 22, 2023, 12:19:01 pm »

How about a super opulent pyramid for the queen? She's gonna die sooner or later, and DF humans are known for their vaguely pyramid-shaped tombs already - it'd only be natural for Mong Kima's grand capital to have an especially grand royal mausoleum.

Maybe it could have a bunch of ballistae defending it too, since we know she likes those... some freestanding pillars/obelisks around it for good measure, in the style of DF city temples... catacombs underneath for lesser nobles/legendary citizens... I dunno man, go nuts :D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 12:21:25 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1579 on: January 22, 2023, 12:37:09 pm »

How about a super opulent pyramid for the queen?

Actually all of my yes. That's what we need to do : some Cathιdrale Saint-Denis monument to bury the kings of the kingdom of pearls, complete with a chapel, ossuary and all. Maybe the Thomocemir regiment can be made into tomb guards also.

Okay, so that's our next project. Massive burial and religious center for the royalty, let's go !

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: January 25, 2023, 05:59:43 pm »

Yay!  And now I'm thinking about how I'd want to do a big ol' tomb myself.  I would be glad to see what you make of a design!

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: January 26, 2023, 08:56:57 am »

How about . . . now brace yourself . . . an inverted pyramid!?!
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: January 26, 2023, 04:31:27 pm »

Too dwarven

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: January 27, 2023, 12:54:09 am »

Hear hear! We are humans who live upstairs, we can't be *too* dwarfy :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1584 on: January 29, 2023, 05:55:55 pm »

Too dwarven
Flame gets it

I've been moving away from the wacky dwarvy stuff for a long time, pretty much since I discovered how deep a rabbit hole this game is. Now I mostly want to build a city I'd like to live in if I was one of those little peoples.

I have multiple project ideas ; the tomb is one of them, as the queen is very, very old (88 years old) and can die any year now, but I also want to make a public arena where people can witness squads sparring.

Winter 156 have been played, and I have some good news, but I still have to draw a couple things, I'll post probably in a few days.
So to wait have a dumb meme

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #1585 on: January 29, 2023, 06:03:18 pm »

Ahahahaha that meme is perfect (if slightly out of taste from some points of view.)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: January 30, 2023, 02:23:23 am »

I'm certainly inclined to agree with it, that's for sure.

Could also staple the tomb and arena together, relocate two squads with permanent posting in town to act as Tomb Guards while also providing entertaining with thier sparring matches in front of the tomb. Could even dig out an underground chamber to store valuables in - nothing super huge, just a basement or something to serve as a suitable hidden treasure vault of sorts.

I dunno. it's late, ignore me.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1587 on: January 31, 2023, 08:08:57 pm »

Ahahahaha that meme is perfect (if slightly out of taste from some points of view.)

I can do way worse, wait and see

I dunno. it's late, ignore me.
We need a treasure room that's for sure, but I can't imagine it to be outside the palace. I've been thinking, directly under the roof.
Also yeah, we'll find some way to organize all this. We need a tomb, we need some bread and games for the populus, and I don't want to have the kind of dwarven arena players usually build where goblins get murdered. Combining the two...May not be necessary. We'll see we have time.

Winter 156

On fighting offensive wars while outnumbered

The recent solid victories against Osme in Autumn had shifted the direction of the war. If in 154, the fall of Udsmunstu was but a minor setback that would not prevent Osme from counter attacking, the fall of Bosastozu was different. It created a cauldron around the village of Ngomzogast and made its fall inevitable. It was the right time for Mong Kima to exploit its operational advantage – and there is nothing Osme could do. From now on and in the forseable future, Mong Kima would have the initiative.

There was just one little hurdle the pearlites would have to overcome : their own dwindling numbers. Attrition had favored them since pretty much the beggining of the war, it is true – and their numerical inferiority was never a very major problem as they defended their own settlements. However offensive warfare was a whole other beast. As their territory became larger and larger, they now had to expend more and more troops to occupy it, and prevent both a counter attack from Osmite warlords or revolts from submitted goblin peasantry.

Add to that the cost in time to train those troops, and in bronze to arm them, and the bill started to feel weighty.
Mong Kima could do as Osme does, and simply raze enemy villages to the ground and save up on ground holding troops... But it was decided early on that no violence would be exerted on unarmed goblins, so peace could always remain an option.

To high road, large tolls.

Now in January 156, this problem was compounded. It was indeed high time to conclude the northern campaign by the capture of Ngomzogast, but almost all occupation troops have already been expended in neighbouring villages ! The only available squad – so to say, was an half-squad in the process of reforming, led by an experienced captain, but with only half the required manpower and only medium armors.

« We can't pause so close to the goal » remarked Totten at the officer meeting. « The situation forces us to make do with what we have. »

A plan was devised ; Ngomzogast was to be softened further by another attack from heavy mobile squads and the idea of resisting has to be extirped from the minds of the villagers. Then, the occupation half-squad can swoop in and take control of the land.

« The only danger lies in the last phase of the plan » pointed Histamine. « If the occupation half-squad gets ambushed when they come and take control, we are at risk of losing personnel.
- Then we'll make extra sure they don't get that funny idea. » replied Totten.

Sas Durmucka and her men

Maybe a note should be made on the character of Sas, the captain of the half-squad in question. If her troops were – let's say – varying in quality of training and equipment, Sas herself was a lady of great fame ; indeed, she was that lonesome swordswoman who defeated the Osmite probing attack on Kimaeslo Ori in 154, killing nine and capturing one. She could only find a medium armor to gear herself up, but could buy a large two-handed dwarven iron sword to Kaos' forge – and if she was alreeady defeat a squad on her own, with an arming sword made out of pearl iron, we had great expectations of her with her new large armor piercer.

Personalitywise, she was rather shy and mostly kept to herself, and even though she is prone to prejudice toward non-pearlites, she also believe peace should be atteined at all cost and would spare no efford toward it ; making her as close to a fit for the mission as we could expect.

On a side note, I also notice now that she is unmarried – kind of a shame, as suitors of her age are in large numbers in Kimaeslo Ori. Ah, well.

Her troops were however pretty unremarkable, varying wildly in skill and gear, as it is often the case in squads in the process of reforming. They all had some experience fighting, and all of them could reliably beat an Osmite soldier in a duel – but of course « slightly better than our enemy » is not going to cut it when the enemy has thrice our numbers – in their actual state, there is no way they could be used in a frontal assault.

Closing the cauldron

The 19th of January, an expeditionary corps arrived at Ngomzogast, compized of Histamine's crossbows, Islas' shock infantry and Sas' half-squad. They were met by a disorganized, tired, badly equipped and barely traine defense. Pearlites had over a three for one number advantage.

It was not really a fight – half of their militia were devoured by the wardogs of the expedition, the rest was massacred by Sas' men as they tried to flee in the trenches.

Having inflicted enough casualties and judging the village was now ready to surrender, the expedition retreated, not without pillaging every bit of metal they could put their hands on.

Meditating on agriculture

In the meantime, Uzu was still in his time off from soldiering. As the civilian life was pretty calm and there was currently no criminal to run after, he took some time to experience some civilian leisure time.

He was seen, in december-january, participating to seminars in the planter's guild, inspired by the recent expansion ; he shown genuine interest in agrarian reforms.

The seminarists would lament the fact that no attempt at modernizing crop production have been made since Thomocemir's hanging gardens twenty years ago, and Uzu would acquiesce – especially considering that most of Kimaeslo Ori's exports is made in the form of plant fiber cloth, which benefits from agriculture development.

The link was clear to him ; the fields feeded and clothed the army, and due to the constitution of Mong Kima's external trade, it would also gear and pay them. It should be considered, Uzu realized, at least as seriously as strategy and diplomacy.
His visits to the planters guild opened his eyes.

This is probably why he took to learn swordsmanship when he was but a young kid, and pestering vagabonds and adventurers to travel with him accross the region – there was so much to see, and so much to learn. A yearning for learning – if you will.

Came mid-january, and he thought he learnt enough about the work of the earth. Later, he'd advocate agrarian reforms to Lady Desli – but for now, he wanted to enjoy the free time he was granted.

And so it was spent in the chapel –  that is probably where he found his true vocation.

It is difficult to convey what it is like to commune with a god without bastardizing the experience – so I'll just say Uzu was found there every remaining day of winter, in a sor of calm and sad trance, silently  dialoging with Ino, goddess of crops and nature.

Impossible to report what they could have say to one another – one thing however is sure : Uzu's mood shows clear signs of improvement at last.

Editors note : I really thought I was about to lose my baby companion this time. Therapy squad, religion and alcohol was the solution after all. He went from +26 to +18 stress within the season. He's not out of the woods yet but he's getting there

Lady Desli's wierd hobby

When, at a town's gathering, a villager proposed the construction of a monument to the royal dead, that would also act as a burial site, Lady Desli's interest suddently turned on.

« A massive burial mound ! Of course ! » she exclaimed, visibly happy, and probably very glad she did not have to come with that idea herself – for it would be even wierder than it was now.

« This is an excellent idea ! I will commission the masons immediately. »

Of course, it was great to see the Lady so prompt to support the town's projects, but it was hard to contain the rumor saying she may have perhaps been a little too prompt.

Doggy dog world

When the expedition came back from Ngomzogast, they immediately started to get ready for the second phase of that assault : getting Sas and her half-squad in control of the village. However, that would imply, as we already established, to go back alone. At this point, the half squad was comprised of two masters-at-arms and three soldiers of regular skill. It would be enough provided the village does not resist...But if it does ?

Hitamine had second guesses. Maybe she should attribute more soldiers ? Impossible : that would deplete the town critical defense...

The solution she found was to attribute to Sas no less than fifteen wardogs. They would compensate the lack of manpower. Besides, wardogs are enough to fight off civilian goblins, and Ngomzogast's army had already been pulverized.

A bit of preparation, and Sas was gone ! Ngomzogast was four days of travels away from Kimaeslo Ori, and the town could only hope and wait for news.

Four days passed. Then eight. No news of Sas, her half-squad and her dogs.

« I knew it ! » Histamine threw her hands in the air. « A half squad in half armor and half training... an eighth of what was needed ! The goblins smelled weakness, and she was ambushed, and now she's gone ! »

« Okay, let's not lose our chill composure » Totten calmed her. « Whatever happened, we need to know – if they are caught, we need to free them, and if they have been killed, we need to get back the bodies for burial. »

« In our defense, they were waving the white flag very aggressively »

A second team, this time made out of Histamine's crossbows and Islas's heavy infantry, was assembled and thrown like a ballista quarel toward Ngomzogast.

The 16th February, they attacked the village, which put even less resistance than last time – four poor farmers tried to sally out of the trenches. Three of them were shot by Histamine's crossbows she placed in ambush, an dthe last one happened onto Islas' squad while trying to flee, and was promptly rended into shreds.

The assault team explored the goblin village a bit, but could not find anything relevant. No prisonner, no cadaver, no clue – nothing.

« Alright, so this is a mystery. » concluded Islas. « Not only that they are not here- but this kind of defense, Sas could have dealt with on her lonesome, let alone with her squad. »

Histamine concured. « Yeah. She never reached Ngomzogast. »

The team started to head back toward Kimaeslo Ori, and that is when they meet them – Sas team was camping on a snowy hillside, playing with the dogs as they were coocking hunted small game over the campfire.

Eager to solve the mistery, Histamine and Islas went to them.

« What are you doing ? » the tactician asked. « We are pulling our hair back on the bridge ! Why haven't you seized Ngomzogast yet ? »

Sas pointed her dogs – and as Histamine did not react immediately, she explained :
« They are only fourteen. I'm missing one as you can see.
-You are camping here because you are missing one attack dog ? Are you kidding me ?
-I'm sorry, great Tactician, but the order you gave me was – I quote « no less than fifteen dogs » - as opposed to « about fourteen dogs and maybe one more if I feel like it ». »

Alright Sas. No need to be – ehm – sassy. The team came back to town, exasperated, but relieved Sas and her team were still alive.
The missing dog was indeed tied to a pole and was promptly sent back to his new mistress.

The 27th of February, Sas proposed Ngomzogast to surrender and they accepted eagerly.

Conclusion for the northern campaign

Before the end of the month, Totten gathered the brass of the town's army in the barracks for a great debriefing.

From left to right : Anthil, Pum, Zar, Totten, Histamine, Islas, Uzu, Sothro, Erod

With the conquest of Ngomzogast, the large region on the north of the salt lake was now completely liberated from Osmite warlords, and the frontline have been pushed from two days worth of travel to the east, compared to when the campaign was launched in 154.

This time, the victory was not just symbolic – it was operationally significant. It effectively cut Osme from the northern kingdoms and only leaves the southern route to try and continue their expansion.

The region known as Histekapap Hills is completely liberated

It was of course only a beggining. In the hills of the north of the lake, Osme's presence have been rather weak, and the territory was comfortable for pearlites to fight on. But to continue the war, Mong Kima would now have to attack on the way less inviting southern shores – heavily defended wetlands.

With the capitalization of Kimaeslo Ori, the town's army was now the central army of the whole kingdom. It was their duty to carry the war until Osme is pushed back behind its historical borders.

After ? After we'll see. There sure cannot be peace as long as goblin warlords are harassing the population of the west, and more especially threatening pearlites. But after ?

There was multiple reason to hesitate and to maybe refrain from pushing Osme further than its historical border. The first was – well – its sheer meat mass. Grinding through it is just not feasable in a lifetime, and breaking its morale may be a challenge.
The second was what is behind their defense, namely, Strulrabab forest – cursed by evil spirits and of no strategical value whatseoever. Finding brave souls to hold it – that would be like sacrificing them – and for what ; an inexploitable ghost ridden wood.
The third is, nobody in Mong Kima like the war. Pearlites fight because they have to, not because they like inflicting pain on people, and seek not to profit from the situation.

Totten introduced to her crew of officers the three new recruits : Anthil, Pum and Zar – each of them being tasked to recruit, train and field ten soldiers.

The army would then operate a similar strategy to pursue its advance : soften enemy villages with heavy infantry attacks, then having them occupied by medium infantry once their morale is broken. The added risk was the trade-off for the price – that was still acceptable.

Needless to say, the offensive will have to know an operational pause. The army had expanded all its occupation troops and cannot capture anymore terrain before they are reconstituted.

It may take some time, and it may take some bronze – but then again, it was the price to pay not to be a barbarian in warfare.

Family

Evening had fall upon the bridge and the officer meeting was coming to a close. Uzu wrapped his cloak around his shoulders to endure the cold of the winter night and left the barrack.

He was however soon joined by Princeling Sothro, eager to talk to him.
« Sworncaptain ! » he called. « Did you heard the new ? »

Uzu was dumbfounded. New ?

« Well, it's not exactly new anymore, but it's new to me ! » he said, lowering the tone of his voice. « It happend about four years ago : your sister Isha married my little brother Aso ! »

Uzu's eyes widened. Really ! He did not know what surprized him the most, the new of the marriage, or the fact he have been wiothout news of his family in Thomocemir for at least four years.

« You know what that means, right ? » Sothro smiled. « We're family now ! We're brothers-in-arms and brothers-in-law ! »

Some old news from an old friend

Back in 149 when Kashi infiltrated the Dark Fortress of Bosangasma to free prisonners and make contacts with the kingdom of Amegil, he was assisted by a well-meaning troll in his quest . Although the troll could not talk, the two of them came to some sort of understanding. Kashi even tried to bring the troll to civilization – the creature refused, but it clearly understood the intent.

Well, that troll was named « Badhaunt » since, as he assisted Kashi, he slain another troll that was pursuing his human friend, with one blow of his giant silver halberd. And for a long time, we thought we would never heard of Badhaunt again – his fate was just to wander the dark corridors of Bosangasma, idle, angry, and without hope.

Well, that was not to be. Lomoth, the lizard devil, Emperor of Osme, had his sight on the dwarven fortress of Thabostlor and was in need axe fodder to test the dwarven walls. Badhaunt was given nothing but a single command : seize and destroy Thabostlor.

He attacked alone in September 149 – he tried to break in the fortress, but was ambushed by a very well prepared dwarven garrisson, waiting for him. The poor troll managed to flee, but was sent back half a year later, in May 150.

This time, he was captured.

Thabostlor happens to also be the fortress where Waka-waka the gorlak, very, very old companion of Luki Usupim, was drafted into service when he left the Group of Released Flowers.

Adventurers make wierd friends – and chance have those friends meet in this kind of infortunate scenarios.
Glad Badhaunt has not been killed. He's a good troll.

Regional map, WIP

« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:40:24 pm by Cathar »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: February 01, 2023, 04:32:25 am »

I'm starting to think that 'WIP' means 'War In Progress'
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: February 01, 2023, 07:26:07 pm »

Lol, the dog issue. Also, amazing map! I love the little settlements.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 111