Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 110

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 229734 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #315 on: October 13, 2017, 10:12:20 am »

I'll wait and see what you come up with first. I just finished a writing session for another artist to render and need some serious cool-down time.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 13, 2017, 03:09:40 pm »

Oh man, I was sick earlier this week, then got busy with work trying to catch up on the sick days I missed. Just remembered I haven't checked this story in a while only to see Dulud getting hacked up by Goblin incaders :(.

I'll have to throw a story together sometime next week about how Zothoabo was so busy with all the wounded he forgot to make sure all his children were safe, lolz.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 13, 2017, 03:11:39 pm »

We really need a creche in this fort. All these child mutilations are directly because they keep going wherever they want and they're not corralled like a real-world civilization would have done.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #318 on: October 14, 2017, 07:05:19 pm »

After having crossed the bridge, the troop charged into the mass of slave fighters. The fight was pretty much one sided ; our soldiers had more experience, and were wearing full armor compared to untrained and badly equipped troups of Osme Stobϋb. We lost one of our soldiers to their deadly silver bolts - rest in peace - and eliminated some thirty of them. Sentimentalism aside, this is a good trade off. Hell, the man even survived until the end of the battle before falling off and die of his wounds. That heroism should inspire us for the battles to come !

As for Duslud...

He had lost a lot of blood. When we put him in the operation table, he was almost white and his guts were completely open. One of his hands had been lopped off, and his legs are unusable. Luckily, Zothoabo is a very able medic and managed to save him. A few days after and he could leave the hospital.

I pondered for a while about what I could do with him... Definitely not a soldier, and craftmanship seems pretty off the table. I'll ask our scholars to take him as an apprentice. He's young, he can learn a lot, and someone has to write our story at some point.

In the future, we need to work on our next projects : finish the temple, finish the second barrack, fully reform our bow squad, while if possible upgrading our equipment for the Knights and the Shieldbangers, and working to plate the walls with metal.

All those works are currently underway.

We also captured...some four enemies if I recall. They are being held in a makeshift prison under the bridge. Maybe someone has an idea of what to do with them?

...this conclude my dairy for the year 137. We've been there for six years now, and we have made substantial progress.
Outside our walls, the war continues to rage on, but at least, at the very least, as long as we're here, the queen and the capitale city is safe.

Here's Zefer and his young sister Ases ! Wearing partial Gugirrane armors, helmets and shoulder pads not shown. Ases has been given one of our new iron swords, decorated with a cloud made of copper. When she's experienced enough, she'll probably go through the process of naming it

Also...a creche ? How would you go about making that? I'm interested but I dont really see how thats possible.

Edit : Oh and while I'm at it, I may have a little plan for the castle. You'd need to downgrade its size a bit (1K glass per Z level is way above our industrial capacity), so it's actually doable with our meagre means, and for realim we'll go with copper walls.
I'll improve upon the design a bit, and build the castle little by little, as it as to be functional as it's being built.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 01:31:27 pm by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 15, 2017, 06:18:40 pm »

Really? You don't know how to make a . . . Even a burrow inside the castle would do. Just something to get them INSIDE instead of in harm's way. I mean, a full creche could be as simple as a decent sized building with a cross shaped swimming pool separating the four corners into four platforms. Stick a food stockpile on one, a well with mugs on another, toys/tables and chairs on a third, and beds on the fourth. Fill the pool so it has both 3 and 4 level deep sections, and the kiddies will be given enforced swim and/or climb training without necessarily drowning. You could also stick the prison and/or a barracks in an adjoining room with bars separating the prisoners from the children so they get discipline training out of it too.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #320 on: October 15, 2017, 06:28:40 pm »

Lol I'm far, far, far to be the best player around. I can't even pierce an aquifer. I'm just your run-off the mill starving artist with a liking for DF.
Well I guess I'll keep them inside the keep then. Maybe I can have a room with a stockpile of toys.

Seriously tho, if you're looking for displays of technical game skills there are a lot of far better players in this very forum. I don't have the skills and this is not my focus anyway
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:36:12 pm by Cathar »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 15, 2017, 06:46:05 pm »

I don't care for gameplay much myself, I am rather good, but what makes your stories so special is the art. Keep it up, I love it, when ever I get a notification from here I nearly squeal with delight
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 15, 2017, 10:23:26 pm »

Lol I'm far, far, far to be the best player around. I can't even pierce an aquifer. I'm just your run-off the mill starving artist with a liking for DF.
Well I guess I'll keep them inside the keep then. Maybe I can have a room with a stockpile of toys.

Seriously tho, if you're looking for displays of technical game skills there are a lot of far better players in this very forum. I don't have the skills and this is not my focus anyway

To be fair, that's not really a case of technical skill above your level. How do you get the civilians to come inside during a siege in the first place? I'm assuming you do.

The only difference here is that instead of tying the burrow to an alert, you assign the kids directly to it and they stay there until they grow up. That's the easy version of a creche. Just a room for them to eat, drink, play, and sleep in. Most people assign their entire internal fort as the burrow and be done with it, but if you want the kids to learn to be better soldiers in advance, you have to learn the systems the game uses, and build a specialized room that takes advantage of those. That's the design I shared with you. It puts them through swim training every time they want to satisfy any needs, and scares them until they're hardened to it. There's other stuff people have thrown in there over the years, but this stuff alone would help tremendously in the beginning.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #323 on: October 15, 2017, 11:00:27 pm »

Oh, well, yes I do. See the Keep on the eastern side of the fort? It's a safe area and it's totally self suffiscient, so we always have the option of turtling in, in case things go awefully wrong.
I...kind of don't want to put prisonners or water in it, mostly because of design - I want to continue playing, either as an adventurer or making more forts in the same world in the future, when this one is finished with, and I don't want to go through the difficult tasks of cleaning water when I'm done (that and the lack of available space).

But you're right, we can totally seal the kids inside that keep.

Also thanks a lot Ryukan ! I'll have a lot of news about your character next update. In the meantime, can you chose a soldier to carry our flag for next battle?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 15, 2017, 11:30:02 pm »

That'd be enough. Just keep them safe. When your friends were saying, "you like drawing kids getting maimed?" and you replied "That's the game!" I was thinking, "no, that's how you're playing the game." :P

I don't mean to be rude or mean, this just sort of irked me because it's a really easy fix. Granted, it would have totally prevented that badass child from knocking out the giant, but that was one lucky break in an otherwise child-unfriendly environment.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 15, 2017, 11:54:08 pm »

Different strokes for different overseers. Catastrophe is often a boon to storytelling in community fort.

I tend to reserve optimal play only for serious lose-the-fort situations. The story wouldn't be half as compelling if Cathar had turtled in and nobody died. I mean sure, don't kill off the whole fort, but a victory without loss is an empty win, and a few dead children is nobody's loss.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #326 on: October 16, 2017, 02:58:58 am »

Besides I only can imagine the looks on the face of the town council if that idea was proposed.

"Alright gentlemen. What about we tie our prisonners into the very heart of our village, so they can traumatise children we'd lock with them ?
-Excuse me what ?
-The only problem is how we can keep the place flooded
-The place...flooded
-Yes so we can force the kids to swim in stagnant water from three to twelve years old"

Alright, next update coming soon, maybe tonight o/

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 16, 2017, 05:37:06 am »

I choose Imic as standard bearer
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 16, 2017, 10:32:44 am »

Besides I only can imagine the looks on the face of the town council if that idea was proposed.

"Alright gentlemen. What about we tie our prisonners into the very heart of our village, so they can traumatise children we'd lock with them ?
-Excuse me what ?
-The only problem is how we can keep the place flooded
-The place...flooded
-Yes so we can force the kids to swim in stagnant water from three to twelve years old"

Alright, next update coming soon, maybe tonight o/

That would be a serious case of "I think our leader is insane" mutiny. I simply thought that maybe, in a generational fort, you might want the children kept safe so the glorious nation of Mong Kima doesn't have yet another bloody leak to deal with. :P The full on creche is fun in a dwarven fort, but not needed here.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 16, 2017, 11:24:08 am »

WOW!

Love seeing more Zotho art. I'm glad Duslud survived, and he will have a really interesting story if he grows up to become the crippled record keeper of the fort.

Can't wait to see what happens next year.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 110