Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236903 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #375 on: October 25, 2017, 02:27:04 pm »

Autumn 138 came and went. In Watershield, we don't see a lot of differences...It just rains a bit more than usual, and the temperature is not quite as unbearable, but aside that, almost all seasons look the same in the Enchanted Swamps.
The constructions are going smooth. Our production of copper from the enemy equipment we scavenge is divided between the production of new Gugirane armors and the plating of our outer walls. As it stands, two sets of armors out of the ten needed are already produced, and the southern side of the wall is done at 75%.

In the meantime, we decided to resume the construction of the temple ; the glass industry is running day and night to produce what we need to honor the gods as they deserve.

Strategically speaking, our scouts report a large number of goblins massed in the region, to the north east. We don't know if they are here for us, but if they are, they can keep launching their attacks for a long, long period of time. Almost two thousands of them seem ready for battle, and that's not counting the minor dark pits sprayed over the south and the east. We're in for an attriction warfare, and must remain vigilant, as we're really outnumbered in the area. We estimate their numbers at over three thousands, and our fighting personnel is...thirty. Each of us would have to kill one hundred to achieve only stalemate.

Talking about goblins...

Snatcher ! Protect the child---

Oh wait. We know this one. She came and went to Watershield twice already in order to study. I...guess we simply didn't paid attention.  Her name was Onget Cattenatag, an actually quite old goblin. Unlike most of her kind, however, she didn't waste her gift of immortality in warfare, chosing instead to study medecine.

Far, far up to the north, in a region called the "Joyous Blizzard" is a small but prosperous kingdom of Bomrek-Laltur. It is said that the very cold and inhospitable climate had created a breed of people that, unlike most of the other nations in Minbazkar, seek prosperity through cooperation instead of warfare, and instead of fighting the goblins that inhabit their surroundings, chose to integrate them into their society.

The kingdom of Bomrek-Laltur is quite unique in this reguard. Thirty percent of their population are goblins, some of them holding lands and nobility titles. That's where Onguet comes from, and this explains why speaks dwarven fluently enough to impress our dwarven scholar.

Talking to her made us learn a lot of things. She's a quite good doctor, and she claims to have written the first theory of general prognosis - among various other manuals regarding medecine. Such artefacts are stored in the town in which she studied- Ironweather - which is now the home of a giant monstruosity.

"Cim Hatemanges", a towering quadruped made of filth, always surrounded by toxic gases as she described. A monster that makes dragons pale in comparison...but as those books are now priceless, I'm sure there are a number of death seekers ready to challenge it. Time will tell.

Honestly, I don't know what buggles my mind the most in this whole story.

I'll talk to her later. Now, looks like she's praying to a dwarven god.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:36:31 pm by Cathar »

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 25, 2017, 03:41:42 pm »

Whelp... looks like you beat me to the update. I wrote this whole thing about Donu.... but Onget totally stole the show, lolz. I think she's my new favorite character (outside Zotho and his family). The info about her work in medicine, and Cim was a really cool coincidence.

Donu’s Diary

5th Sandstone 138

Dear Diary,

Sorry it took so long for me to write. I just got so caught up in all the birthday festivities that I forgot to update you on what was happening. Guess that means today’s entry will be extra special. BIGGEST NEWS, I’M AN ADULT NOW!!!!!!!!! Happy 12th birthday ME!! <3

The Riverguard held a HUGE party in the tavern, and let me drink as much as I wanted. I felt pretty sick at the end of the night, but it was SOOOOO FUN!!! You should have seen it, there was dancing and singing. We had delicious food, and drinks, and I got to sit at the most wonderful dining table. Prince Ryukan even gave a toast just for MEEEEEE!!!!

As part of my adulthood ceremony, I got new clothes. They are really fancy compared to the children’s clothes I received from Cradled Band. It seems like everything we make here is really fancy. We have to trade for metal and stuff, but the woodcraft is all really well done, and it feels so much nicer than the stone tables in the old country.

The next day I got to train like a soldier. I don’t have to fight with the knights, but it is cool to learn new skills. I got to learn about dodging and wrestling. I hope I get to start sparring soon. I bet I could beat at least one of the other recruits. Maybe one day, I’ll get to kill some goblin scum. All the knights I’ve talked to say they are really weak.

The best part of being an adult is getting your own bed. I get to live in the temple now. It’s pretty close to my parents’ house, so I can still visit, but it doesn’t smell like blood or vomit, and I don’t have to listen to the screams after a big battle. They do pray a lot here…. It’s kind of annoying, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Dad’s pretty happy about it, he always made time to thank Ino, but it never seemed to do anything. At least he’s happy about it, sometimes he and mom seem kind of distant, like something bad is going to happen soon. Yeah right. It’s been seven years since we came here, and the worst thing to happen was Duslud’s injury. He didn’t even die or anything though, so I don’t know why they’re worried.

Duslud has been pretty quiet since his injury. He didn’t even show up to my party. I think he’s just jealous that I’m the oldest. He’s still a child, so he doesn’t understand how important birthdays are. Dad says to cut him some slack, but he was always an annoying little brother, so I’m not going to treat him any differently. Besides, he’s walking pretty well with his crutch, it’s not like he’s missing out on anything important.

Anyways, I have more training in the morning, so I’m going to go to bed. If you couldn’t tell already, I’m kind of a big deal here, and anyone who says otherwise is lame. I don’t even care what they think, this my time to shine, and I’m going to show them that I’m the best Priest/Wrestler/Riverguard EVER!!!!

Now that I live in the temple, I should be able to write more often, so expect lots of exciting updates in the life of the newest ADULT member of the Riverguard: DONU KINDLEDTRAMMEL!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #377 on: October 25, 2017, 05:27:53 pm »

No, I totally love it :D
Donu sounds like a lovable arsehole and it made me smile. I'm totally drawing her, hold on

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 25, 2017, 05:48:48 pm »

Daaaw, Onget Cattenatag looks adorable.  Y U so good drawing!  I wish I had like 1/10th the artistic talent.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #379 on: October 25, 2017, 06:35:35 pm »

Just a doodle because next update will be heavy ^^'

Daaaw, Onget Cattenatag looks adorable.  Y U so good drawing!  I wish I had like 1/10th the artistic talent.

Oh thank you ! It's nothing unachievable tho !

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 25, 2017, 07:31:36 pm »

Perhaps not, but most people would at least need to take lessons to achieve your level of artistic talent.

Love this whole project BTW. Makes me inspired to look for things in my own worlds to tell awesome stories about (though they probably wouldn't come with the webcomic-tier artwork).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #381 on: October 25, 2017, 07:43:35 pm »

Feel free to join in ! Or make your own. Or both why not?
My skill level is seriously not unreachable, it's not false modesty. Just draw a lot and bam, you improve. Do that enough and you eventually gitgud
Else...Im sure you can find comic maker programs with premade models everywhere on the net. A good story and a good narative beat a good art level from my experience (and I'm not that good at chronicling at all).

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 26, 2017, 03:12:10 am »

Alas my talents are writing, mathematics, logic, animal handling, and modding.  Everyone has their talents, and drawing is not one of mine :)  Curse my cruddy hand-eye co-ordination.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 26, 2017, 07:43:41 am »

Find an artist. Write the story. Have them draw the pictures. Big reason I wasn't active last week is because I was doing exactly that at the request of a fellow digital artist who loved my style.

And a good goblin is best goblin. So tired of seeing the one-sided depictions all over the place.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #384 on: October 26, 2017, 10:01:54 am »

I'd have a lot to say about asking for free art...but let's keep to the story shall we? :D
Winter 139 update is underway. Basically two major events, including one involving Haspen and a rodent (yes).

Now I realize everything is a bit complex, so if you people want information/clarification about anything, I don't mind digging at all. Actually digging is almost 80% of my gametime

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 26, 2017, 12:17:27 pm »

Thank you so much for drawing Donu.

I'll use that picture in her next Diary update :P
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 26, 2017, 06:55:27 pm »

It took me a few passes to grasp fully this goblin's situation, but that's a great story.

So I presume that you're checking with Legends information regularly as you go.  I haven't done that since Dwarf Fortress got so many things going after worldgen, so I don't know how deep it is these days.  Are there actual battles (as "real" as historical events usually are) happening against the distant forgotten beast while you're busy in Fort Mode?

And I'd enjoy being in this somewhere (I've got a collection of forum-game pictures of myself . . . ), but it's kinda intimidating.  I don't want to just go "Poof!  I'm in your game!" and then not have anything intelligent to contribute.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #387 on: October 26, 2017, 07:32:08 pm »

Cim has been challenged a few times I believe, after he destroyed the city of Ironweather in 51, which means 87 years ago, but now he's just wandering through the ruins. After the destruction of Ironweather, very small populations remained : five elves, a couple of goblins and Onget.

The couple had their two children some time before they were eaten by Cim ; Onget left Ironweather after the incident. But the said children are still alive inside the ruins.

I assume Cim has been lurking inside the ruins for the bigger part of a century. I don't think he can safely be killed, but maybe there's ways to sneak past him and recover the artefacts. That's a quest I'm setting for myself in the indeterminate future : those books are the absolute first breakthrough in medecine of this world.

Also yes, I'm using Legend mode a LOT. This coupled with Legend Browser, which is far more convenient but doesn't tell the whole story unfortunately. Basically what I do is I start digging with Legend Browser, and if I feel I'm missing pieces, I complete them by having a look at the legends themselves. Takes a bit of time but that's what I like to do. The world just make sense the more I dig, and every bit of oddity I can find have an explanation burried more or less deep, and I just love the idea :D

As for participation, really dorfing doesn't require any intelligent participation...nor any participation actually. It just helps me to focus on characters better and giving them some "soul" ; it's also a way for me to draw stupid jokes and to feel more involved in their daily life. It's also a way to directly influence the world by making the sort of decisions your character would make ; joining/leaving the army, requesting supplies or housing, getting married, this kind of things.
If it's fun for you, then it's all good for me o/

Without Megaman, Zothoabo would probably just be "Cikul", forgettable random woodworker...But now I do really care about him and his family and it gives me a lot of inspiration to draw

If you don't want just to go poof, I can just very well give you a child between 9 and 11, and you'd enter the world when they reach adulthood?

Edit : Now, I've been playing with extracted maps a bit. It's not finished at all, but now we have a slithly better world map :

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:35:57 pm by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 26, 2017, 09:07:40 pm »

I'd have a lot to say about asking for free art...but let's keep to the story shall we? :D
Winter 139 update is underway. Basically two major events, including one involving Haspen and a rodent (yes).

Now I realize everything is a bit complex, so if you people want information/clarification about anything, I don't mind digging at all. Actually digging is almost 80% of my gametime

Oh, I didn't say it had to be asking for free art. In my case it was a free story for an artist who wanted it, and I was getting exposure on his site.

But back to the story . . . I'm inspired to load up my own Hacked copy of the game and browse a world, with maps loaded up. Not tonight, I think. I feel other games coming on tonight.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #389 on: October 27, 2017, 12:41:38 am »

Snip because I don't want to derail this trail further. We can continue that dicussion by MP if you wish
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:23:37 am by Cathar »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 111