Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 230636 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #495 on: November 15, 2017, 10:16:49 pm »

He eats spinach flavored Wheaties. 'Nuff said.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 16, 2017, 01:26:36 am »

He eats spinach flavored Wheaties. 'Nuff said.
Yo, only the best of breakfasts
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 16, 2017, 10:15:16 am »

I do like that the families in the fort are getting fleshed out. Zotho's family is growing up, and the various children are beginning to play a part in fortress life, and now we find out Zefer and Ases are also part of a large/important family.... what other family/mafia shenanigans have been going on under our noses?

Does Prince Ryukan have family in the fort?
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 16, 2017, 10:39:31 am »

I do like that the families in the fort are getting fleshed out. Zotho's family is growing up, and the various children are beginning to play a part in fortress life, and now we find out Zefer and Ases are also part of a large/important family.... what other family/mafia shenanigans have been going on under our noses?

Does Prince Ryukan have family in the fort?

I wonder when we will get to the !!FUN!!
I mean I know this is extremely serious with a serious story telling but there's got to be shenanigans on Cathar's end
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #499 on: November 16, 2017, 12:01:22 pm »

The !!FUN!! ? You mean when we all die because a FB with death gas comes along and roll over us? I...really don't know when it comes. If it comes, and I somewhat hope it doesn't.
The goal of Watershield is not especially to create improbable situations or to torture its little people - it's to secure the borders of a kingdom I want to build in the very, very, very long timescale. I'm more interested in discovering the lore of Minbazkar than to show off technical game skills I don't have.

Altho, in the future, in the next chapters (Watershield and the Riverguard are just a chapter in the story of the world), we might find new formats. Maybe community forts, maybe we can create adventurers and set off to explore the world (something with rules we'd decide when it comes to it). I'm actually heavily considering that. Create an adventurer, play three months in game with an objective set at the start, succeed or fail, come home, retire and pass the save. Maybe that would be interesting ? Suggestions are welcome of course.

As for Zefer family tree, here's what I have :

Note : Apba is Asin's wife so as to clear confusion. Most of her kids inherited the haircolor of their father. Setoc is married, but have her life outside of Watershield.

About his lineage, I'm afraid there's nothing unusual about it. His great-grandfather (father of the mother of his mother) was a soldier, but aside that, his upbringing is as modest as it can be. Zefer is "just" naturally gifted.

About Ryukan : At this point and time, Ryukan has two children : a baby girl, Ini, and a baby boy, Sothro. Ryukan if you wish you can always rename them.

Also, having a family feud could be interesting, but Jalew's clan is probably the widest in the fort, and Zothoabo is the only medical professional of the fort. Surely if things come out of hand, the hierarchy will have to intervene. If you're a fighter, you don't want the guy keeping you alive to know you've been bullying his daughter :D

Alright, big chunk of text for a single post. I'll post the update in a few hours o/

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 16, 2017, 12:47:47 pm »

If the daughter is an incompetent weasel who is stuck far enough up her own ass that her face is inside her stomach, she needs taught why others are important. Especially if she's being given important tasks that could potentially injure or kill others if she doesn't do them right. It's not like Ases bullied her. :P She just gave her a warning that if she caused harm to Ases's father, she is getting pulped like that apple.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 16, 2017, 01:34:52 pm »

We will probably meet a ''giant fun surface dog'' rather than a FunButton because
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
live on the surface and FB's come out of caverns.

Anyway, why don't we build a big moat around this place or something?

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 16, 2017, 01:59:28 pm »

As for Zefer family tree, here's what I have :

Huh, those portrait borders have little holes in them just begging for little icons.  If you keep doing this sort of thing, might you consider drawing a profession icon in the top left corners?

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 16, 2017, 03:49:16 pm »

The !!FUN!! ? You mean when we all die because a FB with death gas comes along and roll over us? I...really don't know when it comes. If it comes, and I somewhat hope it doesn't.
The goal of Watershield is not especially to create improbable situations or to torture its little people - it's to secure the borders of a kingdom I want to build in the very, very, very long timescale. I'm more interested in discovering the lore of Minbazkar than to show off technical game skills I don't have.

Well said Cathar.  The number of community forts that everyone wants to become the next boatmurdered, but fail because someone along the way thinks that the only way to do that is to unleash the !!FUN!! or generally do something "wacky" is staggering.  When the narrative is consistent and allowed to develop 'naturally' is when the stories can be at their absolute best.  Of course, holding Boatmurdered up is a bit unfair these days, as it was done in a much earlier edition where  there was an inherent narrative built into the structure of the game design in a manner that is far more prominent than in the current 3d versions.  All the more reason for the player to drive that narrative instead.  So again - keep up the great work.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #504 on: November 16, 2017, 04:01:24 pm »

Huh, those portrait borders have little holes in them just begging for little icons.  If you keep doing this sort of thing, might you consider drawing a profession icon in the top left corners?

Sure thing. Actually, maybe I could make a huge, exhaustive genealogic tree for the whole fort. That could be cool, but will take some time.

Anyway, why don't we build a big moat around this place or something?

Already done...Big mistake. Our fighters keep dodging in them, and end up dying unecessarily. So far walls are the best options, altho they are quite long to make. But that's the caviat to this fort ; we can't really be totally safe. We don't have the option to burrow, and each threat has to be dealt with as they come. So far so good.

If the daughter is an incompetent weasel who is stuck far enough up her own ass that her face is inside her stomach, she needs taught why others are important. Especially if she's being given important tasks that could potentially injure or kill others if she doesn't do them right. It's not like Ases bullied her. :P She just gave her a warning that if she caused harm to Ases's father, she is getting pulped like that apple.

...that's a valid point. She needs to realize nuances of cooperation, clearly. Thrathnu will double down on her training :D

Well said Cathar.  The number of community forts that everyone wants to become the next boatmurdered, but fail because someone along the way thinks that the only way to do that is to unleash the !!FUN!! or generally do something "wacky" is staggering.  When the narrative is consistent and allowed to develop 'naturally' is when the stories can be at their absolute best.  Of course, holding Boatmurdered up is a bit unfair these days, as it was done in a much earlier edition where  there was an inherent narrative built into the structure of the game design in a manner that is far more prominent than in the current 3d versions.  All the more reason for the player to drive that narrative instead.  So again - keep up the great work.

Thanks alot ! Also don't get me wrong, having dwarves being all wacky is fun too, but that's not what I'm trying to do here. It's not like I feel it has been done and redone (ok maybe a bit) but in my own playstyle I don't really like to do that. Thats also why my adventurers don't go around trying to become a weremamoth thrall necromancer elephant-man... That's not what I like to write

Summer 139

More than one century ago, in the faraway country of Xaked-Gil, deep in the south, was the lord of a prosperous town of Smomapib. Its lord was a man by the name of Cado Gulfwatched. He was an athlete and a formidable fighter, and he was loved by his people, and was to be remembered as an exemple for the decades to come.

However, for his despair, fate had decided otherwise. A large nation of goblins, also inhabitating the Land of Confinment, had views on his holdings, and sent bandits to capture his son in the year 50.

As the kingdom refused to go to war, Cado took upon himself to fight his way through his son's captors and freed him by himself. In 52, he was reunited with his son.
This however was not the end of the story. They abducted his son again two years later, and once again, Cado went to free him on his own.

Things took a truely dire turn in 58, when Cado was unable to free his son, abducted a third time. The goblins finally managed to break the boy's soul, and turned him against his former friends.

At first, Cado accepted his defeat - he had no other option. He occupied his days taking care of his city, and growing it into what is today  the biggest center of commerce of the Land of Confinement.

But as he grew older and felt his strenght starting to leave him, the lord felt more and more he would leave the world of Minbazkar with an unsettled score. The rage of impotance built into him slowly.

In 89, in a desperate attempt at getting back to those who had kidnapped his treasured son, he took his axe and ventured alone in enemy territory.

Blinded by rage, he killed as many as he could, going from pit to pit, from fortress to fortress, slaying anything foolish enough to stay in his path. For fifteen years, he lived this life of a blind murderer, full of rage and regret. He was thereon known as Cado Gulfwatched "Fortil Rorecosp"- "Hacks-Swiftly".

Afterward, when he felt his thirst for goblin blood was quenched, he came back to Smomapib. But he was a man no more, but a creature of hell.

Unable to recognize his former subjects, he turned his rage against the kingdom of Xaged-Gil - and was eventually driven off.

After that, the legends lose his track... until now.

The path of murder of Cado Gulfwatched eventually led him, in summer 139, to the outskirts of Watershield. Luckily, this night, no one was outside. The army mobilized and the creature he had become was surrounded quickly. We managed to lop off one of his legs and both his arms.

Birod, son of Uquur and Thrathnu, who had his little brother killed by another werebeast a few years ago, delt the final blow

Birod had brother avenged, and Cado Gulfwatched found the peace he was craving for - at last.

Summer was otherwise rather uneventful. Donu went back to training, and Dotep, a young ex-soldier that was maimed a few years earlier, took her place. We're making significant progress on the aquifer, and the first layer is almost completely pierced. Donu herself  made progress in her training. Maybe that altercation with Ases was helpful somehow - Thrathnu seems to think so.

Dengusa also came to age, and alongside other kids, joined the boot camp. Now we have a proper military school in our fort. This might not be the childhood all those kids deserve, but we have to make sure the next generation can keep Watershield standing after the day we're gone.

We also received the visit of merchants this summer. As always, we sold our textile, for they seem to have grown a liking of them, and we bought metal and animals - as per usual, but we also learnt quite a lot about the state of the kingdom.

Brokenbronze had not received any attack for two years, and people are talking about peace. Hairyoracle itself seem to have been made safe. Even the siege on Trumpetknight by the royal troops seems to have been lifted. The kingdom, it seems, is experiencing peace like it rarely did in its history. Wether this calm is temporary, or a prelude to the end of the war, we do not know.

But if it is, we are proud of doing our part.

Two more dorfings this season ! Sirris (left) is a young archer we're trying to reform, and will be Donu's sparring partner from thereon. Ebkusa (right) is Bolli's daughter, a disciple of Imic and an esteemed member of the knight force. We'll keep an eye on those two.

(as a sidenote, drawing Ebkusa made me realize she's not wearing chainmil. Even tho this made her more pleasant to draw, I...think I'll get her one really, really soon)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:15:24 pm by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 16, 2017, 04:30:11 pm »

Pleasant because chain is a bitch to draw, or because you like drawing girls who show some skin?  :P

And what kind of were was Cado? You say a beast from Hell and depict him as some kind of creature, but we don't really know what.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #506 on: November 16, 2017, 04:37:07 pm »

Weremonitor lizard. For now, every kind of were creature we fought had some kind of scale...Werewolves are so mainstream 8)

Chainmail is easy to draw really, just draw normal clothes and apply texture :D But drawing skin on women is something I tend to like, sue me <_<

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 16, 2017, 04:49:40 pm »

Pfft, you've seen my DA account. If I sue you I'm a hypocrite. :P

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 16, 2017, 05:02:47 pm »

Awesome update!

It is kind of disappointing when the random werecreature you killed turns out to be a really interesting character in the Legends. Love the story tho.

I'm thinking the next story for Donu will be a mother-daughter talk, so can I get a mood update for Hustra?

Probably won't work on it till next week, but we'll see. Keep up the good work, I much prefer the RP style of play than any type of optimized !FUN!.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 16, 2017, 07:44:37 pm »

Dengusa also came to age, and alongside other kids, joined the boot camp. Now we have a proper military school in our fort. This might not be the childhood all those kids deserve, but we have to make sure the next generation can keep Watershield standing after the day we're gone.

Yay!  Any idea what Dengusa's first adult beverage was?  Or does a human fort mean no alcohol dependency?

(Oh, wait, I'm being forgetful.  Children drink booze too, don't they?  It's only babies who dehydrate.)

Speaking of it being humans and not dwarves, what's the age for adulthood again?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 111