Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236822 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #555 on: November 27, 2017, 02:13:18 am »

I thought marriage was a lot more autonomous in this series, Ya know the game would do the marriage itself. Who are all of our dorfed/hooman'd females?

So did I... But no. Left to their own devices, people rarely, very rarely marry. Which means in any given fort, without constant migration, the population always tend to zero. In the game, this is counterbalanced by the fact non HF reproduce automatically and therefore produce a steady stream of immigrant, but since we're not taking migrants anymore, organizing marriages is the only way to keep our population growing.

We don't have a lot of dorfed girls in the fort. Basically we have Sirris and Ebkusa, who are both 16. After that, Gorhax, daughter of Haspen, is also 16. Idem and Ases are both blood related to you, so we'll avoid them... and after that, the girls are a bit young. Donu's 14, Nemen and Quogub are 13. Still within the age fork, but we'd have to wait quite a time before thinking about marrying them

She shrugged and wiped it clean before sheathing it. She knew swords couldn't talk, and so hadn't expected an answer. She did feel she was getting closer to naming it.

Ases enjoys fighting way too much :D Thanks a lot for the text. I make no promise but I'll try to have a little arc about her.

Is it possible to learn some more about him? Maybe slight bits about family?
Who was dorfed as Sirris? I'll reread things, but I did not see any hint on this

But of course ! Sathet is the second son of Shebi and Pabbat, a couple of farmers. His older brother, Ethro, is pretty much the last kid to have avoided military school and is now working on the agriculture tower with his parents. He has six other siblings, who are still children.
Sathet is born in Brokenbronze, a wooden fortress on the western border of the kingdom and came in Watershield with his parents when he was six. He comes from a rather unremarkable background, but so do a lot of heroes.

Here's his complete sheet :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, Sirris is dorfed off forum. I have two dorfs off forum, Sirris is one of them - but the player is following the action here too

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 27, 2017, 02:36:56 am »

Many thanks! I collected the most interesting points:

"Curious and eager to learn" - Felt wonder after learning about biting!
"Is disgusted by merrymakers" -  :D
"Moved by art and natural beauty, but is torn by this seeing the whole pursuit of art as a waste" - Hilarious!
A strong tendency towards privacy + low linguistics and social sence = The guy you never realise is around until much later
Amazing agility, spatial and intuition - interesting... I imagine him adopting a dodge-based high mobility combat with feints and sudden finishers. Coupled with acting before thinking and low analytical ability, I really hope he won't run into battle ahead of all others to be massacred
And his dream is a very fitting one for a boy who instead of helping his parents and older brother decided to fight the evil

And him being just 13 effectively puts off any marriage plans until he survives several battles
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #557 on: November 27, 2017, 02:55:34 am »

Well, to be fair to him, most of it is his personal values conflicting with what he's been culturally told. So you like art and drinking with friends? We have ways to make you walk straight >:C

Currently, he's training with the rest of the rookies in bootcamp, so he'll still be away from battle for a time. But like Donu, he's quite close to finish his training and chose his career. And since we're thinking about creating a second sword squad, he'll definitely have a place ready for him in the army.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 27, 2017, 03:00:38 am »

Well, to be fair to him, most of it is his personal values conflicting with what he's been culturally told. So you like art and drinking with friends? We have ways to make you walk straight >:C

Currently, he's training with the rest of the rookies in bootcamp, so he'll still be away from battle for a time. But like Donu, he's quite close to finish his training and chose his career. And since we're thinking about creating a second sword squad, he'll definitely have a place ready for him in the army.
Heh, yeah, seems likely. And I'm all for him continuing the service. Both his dream and disposition hints that he wants to fight for the better future of himself and everyone else. No merrymaking, tho! It would be totally professional  :P
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 27, 2017, 03:09:21 am »

ZEFER ...ATTEMPT TO SEDUCE THE CHEIF DOCTOR'S DAUGHTER
(If that's okay with the person that plays as donu)
Also I like how the next generation in Jalew's family could possibly bring an army down.
I also read back to where the old hunting squad got repurposed because the head of the squad got bit by a beak dog....
I gotta say that Zefer decked the fuck out of that beak dog....was he always so strong in the arms?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:18:15 am by Zefermcdwarfpants »
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #560 on: November 27, 2017, 03:33:17 am »

Elder Jalew will have a fun time trying to convince Zothoabo to marry daughter to the brother of the girl who bullied her :D This is going to be fun, I wish I could draw more quickly. I think this week, we'll just work on mini character arcs, before the shit hits the fan for real in winter

Also yeah, Zefer always was way stronger than the average human. A human has 1K in strengh, Zefer had something like 1.8K when he was an archer. Training just made him into a beast. He's way, way more effective with a sword

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 27, 2017, 09:22:03 am »

I think Ases is just going to burrow into her work and leave the in-laws alone. . .

Although two points: 1. Donu hasn't been dorfed, she's just a character of focus for Megaman, who plays her dad.

2. I don't think Zothoabo has an issue with Ases "bullying" Donu. The girl was a lazy shirker and the bullying was in response to that threatening a miner who happened to be our dad. Totally understandable. Now that Donu's actually working the bullying will stay at bay unless she totally fucks up and endangers another person's life.

At that point, it won't be cake hitting the floor.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #562 on: November 27, 2017, 11:54:13 am »

I get your point, don't worry about that. Frankly I imagine it to be an awkward and cute occasion to defuse a super serious death-threat-by-a-cop situation, but Zotho calls the shots on this one.
Last thing I want is to treat that like a serious issue. From where I stand, Ases is clearly in the wrong (this is definitely not proper behaviour from someone representing the authority), but from a roleplay aswell as from a practical standpoint, I see more value in defusing the situation than in making the argument.

Also Ases really needs to get shitfaced. She's way too serious for a sixteen years old. Let's throw a party and make her drink until she's singing the tune of the meandering larks while rolling under the table

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 27, 2017, 12:01:27 pm »

Eh, if she were like me, it wouldn't have the effect you were looking for. I'm crazy like that when I'm sober. When I drink, I tend to say things that dig me into worse trouble or kill the mood. Like toasting a dead friend at a party where all his friends were.

??? From an RP perspective in this game, what Ases did was RIGHT. You get a fucking hammer to the face just for breaking a mandate by a noble to either make something or not trade it away. If you're actually directly responsible for the death of another? Same deal. A hammer to the face a few times and if you survive it, a jail sentence. In the humans' case that might not be so, but all we've got for codes right now is the dwarven one and whatever we wanna write for the races we play as.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #564 on: November 27, 2017, 12:04:51 pm »

??? From an RP perspective in this game, what Ases did was RIGHT.

I see no point in having this argument. Drop it.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 27, 2017, 12:06:42 pm »

Actually, I'll do you one better and apologize. I shouldn't be bringing base game lore into this discussion. This game is built to be highly moddable so that if you don't like the base game you can change everything about it. Since you are the GM of this game, your personal word is the law of god in here, and I shouldn't step on it. So I'm sorry. I will not change how I play Ases but I'm not going to attack you over treating her like the bad guy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:29:03 pm by Urist McVoyager »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 27, 2017, 12:27:12 pm »

I just realized I never posted my wholehearted appreciation of how you depicted Onget Cattentag visit to the fortress. Definitely adorable  :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:29:21 pm by Sarrak »

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 27, 2017, 01:44:35 pm »

Where did all these posts come from? I swear, I was checking the forums over the weekend and didn't see any activity. lol

ZEFER ...ATTEMPT TO SEDUCE THE CHEIF DOCTOR'S DAUGHTER
(If that's okay with the person that plays as donu)
Also I like how the next generation in Jalew's family could possibly bring an army down.

I'm 100% ok with this. I actually thought about having a journal entry where Donu fawns over Zefer, but she is/was really opposed to romance (possibly because she is/was 12 years old). My plan for the next journal is Donu and her brother Duslud, and after that, I might throw some hints that she is starting to fancy Zefer.

2. I don't think Zothoabo has an issue with Ases "bullying" Donu. The girl was a lazy shirker and the bullying was in response to that threatening a miner who happened to be our dad. Totally understandable. Now that Donu's actually working the bullying will stay at bay unless she totally fucks up and endangers another person's life.

At that point, it won't be cake hitting the floor.

What dad wouldn't have an issue with someone bullying their daughter.... but I don't think he knows. I think Donu realized she messed up, and complained to her diary, but kept it secret from everyone else. Even if Zotho did find out, he would probably try to get them in a room together and talk it out. (And I don't think either of them want that).

edit: I"m going to mention it in my next journal, but in-case you haven't finished the next season, I figure I'll mention it here as well.... I don't think Duslud should be put in military training. With his injuries, I feel like he should go straight to the library to become a scribe.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:47:17 pm by Megaman_zx »
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 27, 2017, 02:04:57 pm »

Alright, it's official. Ases must have overreacted. I THOUGHT it was the right thing to do considering the girl was given a dangerous job and was risking a flood by not doing it properly. If it was really as big an issue as I thought it was, a responsible father probably would have told her outright, "if somebody gets hurt because of you, I'm throwing you to their kids and patching up what they leave behind." Fuck, it's what my own dad would probably have done.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 27, 2017, 02:13:00 pm »

Also I like how the chief doctor is actually following "Do no harm"
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 111