Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 230676 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #660 on: December 10, 2017, 01:52:05 am »

Well...if it was possible we'd have done it unfortunately. I don't think they'd be a risk, as people usually help and feed people that cannot feed themselves, so the community would take the child to its charge I believe. But short of killing the mother, I don't know how to save the infant

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 10, 2017, 03:55:36 am »

Well, damn. I love how you hook us all to all the characters, not just the active dorfed ones!

Xetan death came completely unexpected. I can't find right words now, will try later in Satheth log.
Werescales continue their attacks and now, its the worst of them all. I think we all care for badass Zothoabo and his family. Real tragic. Especially considering their history and everything that was done to save Hustra from danger.
And baby, coming along with infected, injured and deeply irrational mother-to-be-murderer... Damn you, DF.

On a more positive note, many thanks for showing us Onget once again, I really love this good-natured intelligent goblin. Was thinking about adventuring to recover her books from under Forgotten Beast backside. Will dig into the legends for now.

EDIT: Hell damn. Now I understand your remark about Satheth having a very strong relation to mother  :o
Onget is now a resident of our fort? Great! Although it seems she behaves strictly professional, not having many relations to speak of.
As a member of starting seven, Xetan was good friends of both Pathril and Ruykan. Drama is high here.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 04:51:23 am by Sarrak »
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 10, 2017, 09:22:58 am »

It's times like these that strengthen or break a fort. I don't know how much time we have to work, but the best way to save the child is to incapacitate the mother and burrow the child safely away. It's risky to both of them, but there's no doubt the were will kill the child when it comes out.

Great work on the art and drawing us into the story.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #663 on: December 11, 2017, 05:42:03 am »

There's only one way ; forward. At this point, giving up is condamning the whole kingdom. I definitively can't save the child, but I'll make sure that Zotho's other children will make it to adulthood. Thanks a lot for your nterest guys. There's a lot coming up in the next updates. We'll also have to find something to do with our werebeasts.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 11, 2017, 11:38:30 am »

Wow, yeah, that's really a dramatic situation.

I notice you're presenting a lot of alarming sub-threads to the plot.  If this were a novel, then about now we'd be building up to some climax.  Things Would Go Terribly Wrong and then the fate of the fortress would be determined one way or another.  The great werebeast breakout?  The fortress falls not to the elves, nor to the goblins, but to a corruption that ironically keeps the enemy armies at bay forevermore?

Obviously I wouldn't ask you to engineer that, since the game's code would make the conclusion mere wishful thinking.  But that's how evocative the story has gotten.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #665 on: December 11, 2017, 12:08:08 pm »

The great tragedy of Dwarf Fortress, is, ironically, that its denizens are somewhat (a bit) sensible :D Werecurse is something we know, we understand how it works, and there's no way we'll let an epidemy take root. For now we have two werebeasts, all locked up, Valken and Hustra. Hustra's prison is temporary, we need to move her, but for now she represents no danger for anyone but her own child. The danger is averted for now, we won't get off in flames because of that.

I'm absolutely adverse to making any kind of pact with the devil. No necromancer, no vampire, no werebeast fortress, and for a very sensible and practical reason : the world will go on after this fortress. Any night creature we spare will go on and attack our next forts and possibly the rest of the kingdom. The day we leave, we'll have to set an execution for Valken, Hustra and Stran. Stran I have no problem with the idea of killing her (aside the fact that godamn, catching her was so much of a chore it hurts me a bit to end it), and Valken is well aware of the damocles sword pending over his head... Such are the sacrifices we'll have to make for the safety of the kingdom
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:15:06 pm by Cathar »

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 11, 2017, 01:45:55 pm »

So I've been lurking on Cathar's Deviantart for spoilers, and the story went from bad to worse, lol.

1st picture: "oh cool, we're expanding on the Donu + Valken narrative, that's cool, I guess this is a cool warning system for wereskink attacks."

2nd picture: "Oh shit, Zotho and Hustra are getting attacked by a wereskink.... now I get it... hope nothing bad happens."

3rd picture: "... FUCK.... Hustra's gone.... That sucks, but I can make it into a cool story I guess."

Actual update: "Wait.... Hustra is stuck with the baby, and is almost guaranteed to kill her own (and with this curse, last) child... the one named after Zotho's patron god Ino..... guess I have to put Donu's story on hold for a bit."

Shit's hitting the fan, and that's part of what makes DF so damn !FUN! keep up the good work everyone.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 12, 2017, 09:37:59 am »

That update hit me like a freaking rock,
Applause to you Cathar, Journal segment will be up soon.
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 12, 2017, 04:19:09 pm »

it's a bit melodramatic, but we're in pretty dire straights here, so I hope it comes off as genuine. I also got a bit carried away and I think this is the longest story I've posted.

"Is there anything we can do?" There wasn't any pleading in Zothoabo's voice, he had exhausted that on others, now that he was standing in front of Prince Ryukan, he just wanted the truth.

The prince sighed and grasped Zothoabo's shoulder, "I understand this is a hard time for you and your family." Zothoabo opened his mouth to speak, but Ryukan cut him off and continued, "You have been here for a long time and done a lot to help this fortress grow and prosper. It isn't right what happened to Hustra, but she's been cursed by the gods, and at this point, they are the only ones who can save her." Ryukan pulled Zothoabo into a hug, "I hate to lose another innocent citizen, but in this case, there is nothing we can do. Either we kill her before she can get to Ino, and there is no guarantee we will be fast enough, or we isolate her and pray to the gods she is spared the curse."

Zothoabo solemnly broke away from Ryukan, "I understand." He bowed his head, "Thank you my prince." and left the small audience chamber. He walked through the fortress in a daze. Every once in a while, he was greeted by a passerby, but he couldn't help himself listening to the whispers in the background.

"Did you hear what happened to Hustra?"

"Poor Zothoabo, he must be heartbroken."

"They say the curse brings out your true self, i guess we'll see how much faith she really has."

"I can't believe she refused to give up her child, how selfish can she be?"

By the time Zothoabo got back to the hospital, he was exhausted. He closed the door and slumped down to the ground. How could Ino allow this to happen? He waited silently, hoping there would be some answer, some divine understanding of how this situation was fair. Instead he was greeted with silence. In a rage, he punched the floor, breaking his knuckle and bruising his hand.

"WHY?" he shouted at the ceiling. For the first time in a while he felt tears running down his face. He had grown accustomed to tragedy at a young age. After seeing his family and friends butchered by elves when he was 3 years old, he had hardened to tragedy. It was part of what inspired him to become a doctor. He knew the people he cared about would die, but if he could do something to save them, perhaps others wouldn't have to suffer the loss he had suffered.

It hurt when Duslud was attacked in the goblin siege, and although his injuries were severe, they could be fixed. Duslud may never live the life he wanted, but at least he is alive. Hustra is different. She is forced to endure a face worse than death, and there is nothing Zothoabo can do to stop it. He can do nothing but watch as she murders their youngest child, and is forced to live with the knowledge of what she did, isolated from her friends and family, starving to death and regenerating until someone has the courage to put her out of her misery.

Zothoabo's lament was interrupted by a strong push on the door he was leaning against. He slowly stood up, but was quickly knocked forward by the force of the door swinging open. "Don't you know better than to block the entrance to the hospital? That's a health hazard or someth-" Donu balked at Zothoabo, sprawled on the floor with tears streaked across his face, "Dad?"

He crawled to his feet, wiped the tears from his eyes, and straightened his robe. "Hello Donu, how can I help you?"

"Dad, were you.... crying?"

Zothoabo wiped his face again, and cleaned his hands on his robe, "Me? Of course not, dads aren't allowed to cry, that's rule number 1."

"It's really that bad, huh?"

"It-" Zothoabo held back the lump in his throat, "It will be fine, we'll pull through."

"Is... is mom going to end up like Valken?"

"How do you?" Zothoabo shook his head in amazement, "Probably.... yes."

Donu was silent for a long time, then murmured to herself, "oh."

Zothoabo wrapped his arm around her shoulder and rustled her hair, "Cheer up kiddo. With mom gone, you're going to have a lot more work to do. I think it's about time you move back into the hospital to take care of your siblings."

"Huh? I thought i was going to live in the temple?"

Zothoabo laughed at her reaction and patted her on the head, "You can do whatever you want. But I'm going to need some help at home, and I'm not above talking to captain Thrathnu if it gets you to visit every once in a while."

"Uggghhh anything but Thratpin!!! I'll help with the little ones, but Duslud better help as well, he doesn't get a free pass because he's a cripple."

"True, but I think Duslud actually likes his siblings."

"Shut up, you know I do too."

"I know sweety, why don't we go to the dining room and get a drink, it's going to be a rough month for our family, and I'd prefer to have some liquid courage to help me through it."

"I was just headed there myself!" Donu rushed out of the hospital, shouting back to her father, "Last one there's a fluffy wambler!"

Zothoabo let one last tear fall down his face, "I'm sorry Hustra, I wish there was something I could do to save you." After cleaning his face, he took a deep breath, straightened his back and began running after Donu.

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 12, 2017, 04:30:18 pm »

Diary of Zefer Scribefondled,
Winter.
I dislike the cold, it is too much for even a hardened warrior like myself to face...but there was a bigger chill in these last few events, one particularly so...Madame Hustra, Donu's mother was bit by a were creature...Although She was saved in time, these scars won't heal, she is corrupted by a taint. I asked donu how she felt, only to get a cold shoulder and her walking to the hospital...Im going to be there for Donu's sake, Or...is that too pushy? Damn it all...i suppose some flowers or a peice of jewelry would help her take her mind off of things? Maybe a few pints?
**All that is left are some ideas, scribbled out.
"Men! On my count!"

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #670 on: December 12, 2017, 04:45:16 pm »

it's a bit melodramatic, but we're in pretty dire straights here, so I hope it comes off as genuine.

It totally does. Your stories made me really care a lot about Zothoabo and his little family. I went ahead and played a bit, according to the plans we devised. I'm not giving any spoiler but ... some reason to hope for the future is coming for them. Eventually. I'm not giving anymore spoilers, but it's huge.

I also want to respond to that story. It might take a bit of time because I'm already working on the next page, but I'll do something right after that !

Thanks a lot for your stories, that really help me.

Edit : Oh also ! Do you have any idea for Donu's career? Do you want her to become the next wood burner, or to work as a nurse maybe? Priests don't seem to do a lot, that may become boring for her.

Edit 2 :
Diary of Zefer Scribefondled

That's going into the next page too :D Thanks a lot
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 04:50:07 pm by Cathar »

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 12, 2017, 05:23:38 pm »

Oh also ! Do you have any idea for Donu's career? Do you want her to become the next wood burner, or to work as a nurse maybe? Priests don't seem to do a lot, that may become boring for her.

I'm really bad at deciding careers for my dwarves humans. (in my fort, everyone does everything lolz.... I mostly play adv mode)

I think woodburner, or blacksmith would work if we have spots. I also kind of like priest because it gives her time to get up to her shenanigans. I'l roll with whatever you choose. (sorry if that's a bad answer)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #672 on: December 12, 2017, 07:40:50 pm »

lol there's no bad answer :D
If we were in a situation where all arms would be required, we'd do a mass conscription but we have a lot of leeway. I'm giving you the choice because we can afford it, and also because I'm a bit worried that being a priest may become a bit boring for her and you. But if you're cool with that, then it's settled :D

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 12, 2017, 09:22:07 pm »

Adventure Log of Satheth

Entry 3.6

As my training continues, much more is happening around the fort. I rarely get a chance to visit ma and siblings, but they are doing okay. Some were inspired to take arms as well, but I'm not too glad about this. They should be trained to defend themselves - and live a peaceful life, just as father wanted.

Although, considering how things went for Donu family... I'm still shaken by those roars in the night. No, I would be able to stand and fight as taught if I was in their or Ebkusa place. But I was far from combat and uncertainty was terrifying. Anyone could be in Hustra place. Just like father was once...

Training is harsh enough that we don't get to talk to each other much. But I do notice how distressed Donu become. She is still her funny and irritating self, but sometimes, when she conse-rates (?) on swinging her weapon, I see traces of... Actually, I don't know how to put it in words.

We all care for Donu and try to cheer her up. Even captain made sure to keep her occupied on present, not letting her mind wander too far. Sure, Donu is not happy by additional training, but being grumpy is certainly preferable to dark brooding. Zefer seems to take it personal. Interesting.

Hm... I also heard something about Xetan being beaten to death by fortress guard? Sounds bizarre to me. Need to check later. Nevermind. It was true. Prince and commander upheld discipline, but their old friend perished as the result. It does not sound right. I... I don't know what to think.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 12, 2017, 09:28:21 pm »

Shoot my sister is onto me!
"Men! On my count!"
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 111