Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236892 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #675 on: December 12, 2017, 10:02:41 pm »

Ases found Prince Ryukan in the mead hall and stepped right up to him. Ryukan looked up from his conversation with his lovely wife and stared at her. "Yes, guard."

"If the worst happens and Hustra kills her child, it would be best for morale all around if someone went in and pulled the remains out for burial. I volunteer for the duty."

The Prince narrowed his eyes at the guard's boldness. "It's very . . . thoughtful of you to offer that, but I think it's too dangerous to risk it."

"She's safe for most of the month."

"We can't guarantee we'll get the door blocked off in time. Sorry, I can't risk it no matter how true your words might be." Ryukan blinked as his wife leaned in and whispered to him. "Thank you for thinking of it, and keep your eyes and ears open for more ideas like it. Dismissed." With that, the Prince turned back to his princess and started talking to her again, dismissing Ases from his mind. Ases turned and walked out of the meadhall, looking for a sparring partner to play with.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 12, 2017, 11:45:33 pm »

This is indeed most sad, ideally we could at least feed them and treat them decently during daylight hours, no? why not at least have our infected housed together, it seems a bit cruel having them so thoroughly isolated... ;-;

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 12, 2017, 11:54:35 pm »

This is indeed most sad, ideally we could at least feed them and treat them decently during daylight hours, no? why not at least have our infected housed together, it seems a bit cruel having them so thoroughly isolated... ;-;
They would tear each other apart when the full moon came...Hustra includednwould be in danger because the Baby and all that...werebeasts have no need to be fed
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 13, 2017, 12:06:08 am »

"a bit cruel"? Hah, that is very cruel, but needed. Werebeasts are FUN and while managing a fort of them can be interesting - as Cathar already pointed out, we are guardians of human civilization and all werebeasts and vampires that for now could be treated with a degree of mercy, need to be executed once we can guarantee their imprisonment no more (i.e. before the fort is retired).
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 13, 2017, 02:09:25 am »

OR we could just put them in an unclimable pit or something...*shrugs* surprised that weres kill each other btw.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 13, 2017, 02:20:03 am »

OR we could just put them in an unclimable pit or something...*shrugs* surprised that weres kill each other btw.
"Unclimable" lasts until fortress layout gets lost in world memory (as soon as player attention leaves it). As for weres killing each other - different weres kill each other and weres of same genus not always transform at the same moment of time, so that one lunges for another right before it transforms. As science has shown, it is possible to have a population of weres that do not kill each other, but 50-70% of populace will be killed before that.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #681 on: December 13, 2017, 04:56:47 am »

That's actually something I don't see discussed a lot on this forum. It its technically possible to make an entire immortal vampire fortress by shedding their blood in the drinking water. Vampires don't murder each other and live forever and have improved stats. Good deal if you manage to get everyone right? Well not especially. Because again, we need to think in the long run, after we leave.

Werebeasts will get out of prisons and spread everywhere, vampires will go and infiltrate villages, necromancer will move and rampage the countryside with undead armies. Sometimes, a single werebeast is all it takes to anihilate a village, so 120 of them rushing out of watershield at once... Maybe we can cage them ? If you know how the game reacts to worldgen caged beasts? If so, maybe we can save them.

Edit : Thanks for the log entry ! I'll have news for Satheth pretty soon too ! For most of the rookies actually, but especially for Satheth.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:00:05 am by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 13, 2017, 09:38:15 am »

Yes, you're totally right. We need to think in the long run. And for many players, unleashing a vast horde of vampires on the world IS thinking about the long run. I'm not telling you to do that. I'm just saying for a lot of people, unleashing a horde of undead upon the world is giving the Fun back to the game world. Especially if you've raised most or all of them into Legendary warriors before turning them . . .

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 13, 2017, 09:44:44 am »

That's actually something I don't see discussed a lot on this forum. It its technically possible to make an entire immortal vampire fortress by shedding their blood in the drinking water. Vampires don't murder each other and live forever and have improved stats. Good deal if you manage to get everyone right? Well not especially. Because again, we need to think in the long run, after we leave.

Werebeasts will get out of prisons and spread everywhere, vampires will go and infiltrate villages, necromancer will move and rampage the countryside with undead armies. Sometimes, a single werebeast is all it takes to anihilate a village, so 120 of them rushing out of watershield at once... Maybe we can cage them ? If you know how the game reacts to worldgen caged beasts? If so, maybe we can save them.

Edit : Thanks for the log entry ! I'll have news for Satheth pretty soon too ! For most of the rookies actually, but especially for Satheth.

We don't have to kill them. Just send an adventurer after the fact to pick up all cursed citizens.

Or, even better, use DFHack to play as the werebeasts directly. Send them on a quest across the world, seeking to redeem themselves and use their curse for good.

Weres aren't evil, just different. Transformation's only a curse if you make it, otherwise it's an incredible combat ability that comes at the cost of social contact and mental stability.

Vampires, on the other hand, drain the life force of others to prolong their own lives. So they should be sent straight to the atom smasher. Still kind of pitiful since they're not willing, but...
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 13, 2017, 09:54:35 am »

Vampires are immortal and don't NEED to eat or drink to survive. You can lock one up forever and they'll never thirst to death.

And I'm not sure you need to worry about social contact as an adventurer, since time works way differently there and you'll have plenty of time for social contact between transformations. Just set up a house in the wilderness and go there during the full moon phase. Doesn't even have to be a big one, just a one room shack would do.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #685 on: December 13, 2017, 11:44:06 am »

We don't have to kill them. Just send an adventurer after the fact to pick up all cursed citizens.

Or, even better, use DFHack to play as the werebeasts directly. Send them on a quest across the world, seeking to redeem themselves and use their curse for good.

I've been thinking about doing just that. But then I realized they will be back at some point. We can't allow any of them to survive. This is a shame, it hurts my feelings quite a bit, but then we have to balance one life versus the dozen they'd take before getting purged anyway. Same goes with vampires. I'd also say, vampires are not evil, they are predators ruled by a urge to murder... wether this is evil or not is up to appreciation, but left to their own devices they will kill us.

I've been thinking that over and over, and really the chopping block is the only solution. May hurt feelings now, will save lives later.

Yes, you're totally right. We need to think in the long run. And for many players, unleashing a vast horde of vampires on the world IS thinking about the long run. I'm not telling you to do that. I'm just saying for a lot of people, unleashing a horde of undead upon the world is giving the Fun back to the game world. Especially if you've raised most or all of them into Legendary warriors before turning them . . .

I had to reread this message but yeah, you're actually right. There's a difference in scale. Most players end their world when they end their fort, whereas for us it's just one chapter in something much bigger and we need to take that into account. I also have no interest of screwing up everything because I can, that's not what I'm doing is about. Again if people want to read Boatmurdered, they should read Boatmurdered, they do it better than I can hope to
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:10:51 pm by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 13, 2017, 12:47:26 pm »

Agreed, this story stands out because it's about the little stuff and people getting along in the world.

When you put them on the chopping block, I volunteer Ases for the job. It'd be interesting to see the combat log.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 13, 2017, 12:49:35 pm »

Agreed, this story stands out because it's about the little stuff and people getting along in the world.

When you put them on the chopping block, I volunteer Ases for the job. It'd be interesting to see the combat log.
>Ases hulks  out and beats them with the pommel of thier blade
"Men! On my count!"

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 13, 2017, 01:45:15 pm »

XD I think they deserve the blade, don't you?

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 13, 2017, 01:47:46 pm »

XD I think they deserve the blade, don't you?
They do since they are werebeasts...and Donu's mother. But im afraid Ases would probably beat them with the sword instead of lop their heads off.
"Men! On my count!"
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 111