Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236918 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #690 on: December 13, 2017, 02:19:49 pm »

We'll probably do the job mechanically. I don't mean to complain but, can we pass on the edgy-torturing-people-is-fun ? That's putting me off for real. Human in DF find that appauling and so do I.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 13, 2017, 02:43:51 pm »

We'll probably do the job mechanically. I don't mean to complain but, can we pass on the edgy-torturing-people-is-fun ? That's putting me off for real. Human in DF find that appauling and so do I.

So a guillotine?
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #692 on: December 13, 2017, 02:51:33 pm »

Yes, that's pretty much my idea. It's totally possible to do such a mechanism, pain will be minimal and very short. I'll add extra masterwork giant axe blades to make extra sure.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 13, 2017, 02:55:33 pm »

I can see how that works but wouldn't we need a silver blade for our beasties?
"Men! On my count!"

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #694 on: December 13, 2017, 03:05:24 pm »

All werebeasts have a weakness to a peculiar, randomly generated metal, depending on the strain of their curse... If we had any knowlege of those beasts, we'd use blades made of that, but unfortunately we don't, and both of them have a different strain anyway. So the best is to simply use what cuts the sharpest. Which is iron in our case. Silver...That would just hurt them, it doesn't really cut.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 13, 2017, 05:12:49 pm »

I wasn't actually going for the edgy torture is fun route. I honestly got into character and forgot that doing this mechanically was an option. From a human standpoint, wouldn't those characters want to see a human face one last time before lights out?

Not picking a fight or arguing the point. Do it mechanically. Just exploring the characters and wondering if mechanical intervention is the sort of choice they would make themselves. They're not dwarves, so it's a hit or miss thing. Especially for a people who like to fight.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #696 on: December 13, 2017, 05:35:01 pm »

I wasn't actually going for the edgy torture is fun route. I honestly got into character and forgot that doing this mechanically was an option. From a human standpoint, wouldn't those characters want to see a human face one last time before lights out?

You have to take into account that both Valken and Hustra are upstanding members of society. Valken is a childhood friend of the ruling class, Hustra was instrumental in setting our metal industry in place and is the doctor's wife. Both have far more clout than Ases does, adding to the fact they are victims, not criminals.
Hearing Ases volonteering to kill them, I mean why not. Someone has to dirty their hands. We have an executionner for that, but since it's discussed I see no malice in that. But hearing her joke about them not deserving a proper death is insanely inappropriate, especially since she's a knight and should know better.

I mean, you realize Zefer and Ases are talking about the Prince's and the Commander's childhood frien and the mother of the girl he's courting not deserving a proper end ? Do I really need to explain why this is, somewhat, a tiny wincy bit inappropriate? We'll leave the job to someone who will do it properly and with decorum

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 13, 2017, 05:43:13 pm »

I mean, you realize Zefer and Ases are talking about the Prince's and the Commander's childhood frien and the mother of the girl he's courting not deserving a proper end ? Do I really need to explain why this is, somewhat, a tiny wincy bit inappropriate? We'll leave the job to someone who will do it properly and with decorum

I like the idea it is a well kept secret. I like to think only the people who knew Valken know his true fate, and Hustra may be wiped under the rug saying "she died of a mysterious illness" or something like that. For all Zefer and Ases know the werecreatures could have survived and been captured and we're waiting to decide what to do with them (not knowing it is actually Valken and Hustra)....

but, that's my head-cannon, you can spin it however you want.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #698 on: December 13, 2017, 05:44:53 pm »

This is actually the best course of action. I'll run with this for that issue.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 13, 2017, 09:11:58 pm »

You have to take into account that both Valken and Hustra are upstanding members of society. Valken is a childhood friend of the ruling class, Hustra was instrumental in setting our metal industry in place and is the doctor's wife. Both have far more clout than Ases does, adding to the fact they are victims, not criminals.
Hearing Ases volonteering to kill them, I mean why not. Someone has to dirty their hands. We have an executionner for that, but since it's discussed I see no malice in that. But hearing her joke about them not deserving a proper death is insanely inappropriate, especially since she's a knight and should know better.

Um, where are you getting that? "Joking about them not deserving a proper death?" 1. That last post was ME talking, not Ases. 2. If you're referring to the last story I posted, she wasn't volunteering to kill Hustra, she was volunteering to retrieve Ino's body for burial so Hustra didn't have to look at it and Zothabo could release some of his grief. The safe for most of the month comment was about Hustra being a human being outside of the full moon, and thus safe to be in the same room with.

I never joked that they don't deserve a proper death. I was saying that to a medieval person like our characters, a face to face death where you get to see a living person before you go IS a proper death. Go for the mechanical all you want, but don't you think it's better if our characters discuss it outright first? In RP they ought to lean heavily towards an executioner doing the deed directly, before deciding for safety's sake to do the deed remotely. Hell, by RP they MIGHT build a small battle chamber outside Valken's chamber, release him into it during his werephase, and decide based on the outcome whether that's worth repeating. I'm willing to avoid that without causing a fuss, but the characters really would need to discuss these things.

ETA: Also, that small byplay between Zefer and me about blade vs pommel was him thinking Ases would pommel strike them to death, which is torture for sure, while I figured it should be clean and quick by the blade instead. I wasn't joking, though I was laughing because the game probably would make Ases throw a few pommel strikes in there out of sheer game silliness.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:14:39 pm by Urist McVoyager »

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: December 13, 2017, 09:20:49 pm »

Urist is right, I did think that Ases would pommel strike them put of sheer happenstance in the games battle style
"Men! On my count!"

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 13, 2017, 09:26:00 pm »

If Ases were to execute Valken, I'd have her go in there on the morning of the full moon, pull the child's dead body out of his cell before stepping back in and closing the door behind her. She'd spend the day letting Valken have human contact directly, talking, laughing, being a good friend for that last day. When the sun set and the moon came out, she'd salute him, thanking him for the history lessons, before getting down to business on the were side.

Even that's more of a concession to game mechanics. She couldn't kill him in human form without going rebel and getting killed in turn anyway. If she could, I'd say do it just at sunset with Valken seeing the sun one last time.

But again, I understand that would never happen. Any of it. We're going to do it the mechanical way, and that'll be that. Just saying, IF we go through the arguments in-character and talk about this, I'm totally pitching that in-story for the leadership to decide on.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #702 on: December 14, 2017, 12:50:11 am »

If you decide to do it mechanically, I volunteer Digo for designing the apparatus.  It would help establish his character as "cold heartless bastard who is good at persuading others to see things his way and does what needs to be done without feeling bad about it, even though it gets him hated".  The other characters can debate the ethics of such a decision after the fact.

"If you try to kill them by hand, there's a chance someone will get bitten and we'll be right back where we started.  Look, I designed a prototype for just this kind of issue.  If we sharpen the blade properly we'll minimize the chance of the creatures escaping."

"...and it will probably be more painless."

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 14, 2017, 01:50:02 am »

yeah and it would give us a chance to see more of digo.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 14, 2017, 08:50:20 am »

No dirtying of hands is needed. When the time comes, they'll realize that they'll never be accepted as human and commit suicide by jumping into a very deep hole.

I still feel that adventuring them out is the best idea.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 111