Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 235219 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #825 on: January 11, 2018, 02:18:05 pm »

Drunken hormonal teenagers? Watershield is turning into a horror movie more and more.

Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 12, 2018, 05:17:32 pm »

New plan: Write enough stories that Cathar gets distracted drawing them, and never retires the fortress, lol

New Duslud+Sirris story below -

Duslud closed the bronze bound codex in front of him. 124 pages dutifully copied by him alone. He sat back to admire his work, and give his brain a chance to rest.

“Looks like you finally finished your first book.” Onget gave him a hearty slap on the back, “Good on ya kid. You’ll be writing your own in no time.”

Duslud winced a bit after her “friendly pat on the back”, and gently pushed the completed book to the side.

“You ready to start the next one?”

“Might as well” Duslud began reaching towards the small stack of paper in front of him.

Onget watched as he reached across the table with one hand, then inched back into his seat. As he began dipping his quill in the small inkpot, she decided to interrupt him. “Aren’t your friends graduating from military school today?”

Duslud scrambled out of his chair, splattering ink on his parchment, knocking his crutch to the floor, and falling to the ground.

Onget stifled a laugh as he slowly hoisted himself back into a standing position.

“You’re a jerk Onget.”

“I’m a goblin. A bit of fun never hurt anyone.”

Duslud shoved the stump of his missing hand in her face, “Oh Yeah! Goblin ‘FUN’ never hurt anybody.”

Onget stepped aside and helped duslud out of the library. “Sorry, I forget not all goblins are like me. Have fun at your party.” As Duslud hurriedly limped out the door she whispered under her breath, “Those goblins were jerks. I’m a civilized goblin.”

By the time Duslud arrived at the graduation party, the drinking songs were already starting. Various soldiers were engaged in drunken singing and dancing throughout the hall. Digo had taken a table for himself, and was drunkenly trying to build a mouse trap out of goblets, plates and silverware.

Duslud hobbled into the hall, cautiously avoiding the dancers. Sirris was standing alone at the side of a table. The mug in her hand was almost full as she nervously nodded to one of the more intoxicated guests. As he limped towards Sirris, he noticed Donu and Zefer talking, and laughing in the corner.

Eventually, he was able to press his way through the revelers to get to Sirris. “Sorry I’m late, Onget had me working on a book, and I lost track of time.”

Sirris stepped closer to Duslud and smiled, “Don’t worry, most of the other stuff was just ceremonial.”

“So, are you going to become a soldier now?”

“No, I think I’m going to join the temple like Donu.”

Duslud wrinkled his nose a bit, “I hope her attitude doesn’t rub off on you.”

“Sometimes I wish I was more like Donu. She says what she wants and isn’t afraid what other people think.”

“You didn’t grow up with her. She’s a selfish know it all who always gets what she wants.”

“You’re a lot more like her than you think. You are related after all.”

“I’m not-“Duslud stopped to think about what Sirris had just said. “So… If you like Donu…”

Sirris gave Duslud time to put his words together

“.. and I’m like Donu…” Duslud looked at Sirris and saw a small smile on her face. He quickly looked away to stop blushing, but could feel his cheeks heating up. “… then you like me.” He whispered the last part, but his voice still cracked a little.

Sirris hid her face in her goblet and took a deep sip of the strawberry wine inside.

After she finished Duslud gathered the courage to speak up again, “So?”

“So what?”

“Do you like me?”

Sirris broke out in laughter. Duslud shrunk down a bit, his face turning an even deeper red.

“Of course I like you.”

“Then why are you laughing at me?”

“Your face is red” Sirris held back another bout of laughter, “Just like a lobster!” As she finished she bgan laughing uncontrollably again.

“Did Donu put you up to this?”

Sirris continued laughing but shook her head

Duslud looked over to the corner Donu was in earlier, but she was gone. When he turned back, Sirris jumped forward and hugged him. “You’re cute for a shrimp.”

Duslud grabbed a drink at the nearby table and took two big gulps, then immediately began coughing up the bitter liquid. “How *cough* do you drink this stuff?”

Sirris released her hug, and pushed her cup towards his face. “Try mine.”

Duslud cleared his throat of the sewer brew, and took a small sip of the strawberry wine. After wincing a bit in anticipation, he swallowed the drink. “It’s good.”

“I’m glad you like it.”

They stood there for a bit before Sirris spoke up.

“Do you want to go outside? It’s hard to focus with all this going on.” She motioned to the drunken members of the River Guard singing and dancing throughout the meeting hall.

Duslud nodded, and limped out of the hall. After they got outside, he turned to Sirris, “So, where do you want to go now?”

“I don’t know. Let’s just walk around.”

“Ok, lead the way.”

As they explored the darkened fort, Sirris would skip forward a bit, then stop to wait for Duslud to catch up.

Before they could get to far, they were interrupted by a rustling noise, and some erratic stomping sounds coming from around the corner. Duslud stopped, and propped himself up against his crutch, and Sirris took a defensive stance in front of him.

They waited as the sounds got closer. They could hear a loud cackling accompanying the sound. They tensed up as the sound approached the corner of the building, then stared in awe as Donu danced past them, she held a drink in one hand, and Zefer by the other.

She was laughing as she danced around the courtyard and Zefer attempted to keep up with her, his feet clumsily pounding the pavement as she spun and leapt around the field. She twirled around two more times, took a deep bow, letting her short red hair touch the ground before Zefer pulled her up into his arms. She took a deep drink of her drink, and stared Zefer in the eyes. Slowly they moved towards each other to kiss.

“Donu? What are you doing?” Duslud shouted from the silence.

Donu and Zefer leapt back, and looked at Sirris and Duslud.

“Duslud? What are you doing here?”

“I was taking a walk.”

“Why is Sirris with you?”

“We were walking together.”

“Oh, I see now. Duslud and Sirris are together now.” Donu began marching towards the young couple like a wolf approaching a cornered capybara.

“Run!” Sirris shouted and she and Duslud turned and fled at speeds neither of them thought possible. They didn’t look back until they got the meeting hall, and when they did, Donu and Zefer were nowhere to be seen.

“That was fun Sirris, maybe if you have some freetime at the temple, I can teach you about medicine.”

“Sounds fun, I’d like to spend more time with my little shrimp.” She gave him another hug, and hurried away to her room.

Duslud stood there for a while to get the blush off his face. He could already imagine Onget giving him grief about it. After a while, he began limping back to the library. “What did I do to deserve her?” he thought to himself as he started down the path.

Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 12, 2018, 05:34:38 pm »

That ship is sailing at breakneck speeds
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 12, 2018, 05:47:20 pm »

Imic sat in his room in front of the fire. He had hus cloak drawn around him, and was trying to warm his hands in vain. Despite the intense heat that the area presented during the day, it was freezing at night. When there was no moon, the entire swamp would freeze over, only to melt before the day even began. Of course, that was only during the cold - ish season. During summer there were barely any nights at all. He reflected this in his mind, for lack of anything better to do. The recruits were hitting puberty now, and it was cringe - inducing to watch at worst, so Imic had taken to avoiding them and their insecure thoughts. It probably wasn't helping any of them, but he wasn't going to stop any time soon.
Finally, he came upon the thing he had been dreading to look at. There was no avoiding it now, it had stood there for minths now. He slowly reached up onto the mantlepiece and took down his deceased brother's drawings. He hadn't read any other than his design for a massive temple, but now that he looked, some if his other ideas were interesting too. One of his ideas was to build two floors with wondows and floors, then make an overhand for the next two floors to save space, and so on and so forth. He had used a lot of stone in his designs, which made them look a bit far - fetched, bu if you did take a bit of wood here and there...
Imic sighed, and put them back. He didn't want to press anything on anybody. But that only sparked more thought. He only stopped to collect his thoughts in the quiet of his room, but, he decided, perhaps he should talk a bit with some if his friends. Finally, he left his thoughts, it felt like he was repeating the same things over and over in his head. Maybe he wasn't that different from the youngsters.
He got up, and went over to his bed. The fire went out soon after.
((I'm going to try and bring Imic's stuff somewhere, since I've made him out to be a but of a loner, but his friends list says otherwise, so I want to do a bit on that once I'm not in bed and my mind is working again. This was a bit rambly, but I wanted to do something.))
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #829 on: January 12, 2018, 07:40:58 pm »

New plan: Write enough stories that Cathar gets distracted drawing them, and never retires the fortress, lol

lol you guys :')
Seriously thanks
You have my promise, hand on the heart, Ill not give up the world upon retiring the fortress. All the characters will still be there, will still continue the story, may jump to the next fort, and in the meantime will give quests to adventurers. It's just the beggining really !

((I'm going to try and bring Imic's stuff somewhere, since I've made him out to be a but of a loner, but his friends list says otherwise, so I want to do a bit on that once I'm not in bed and my mind is working again. This was a bit rambly, but I wanted to do something.))

I always pictured Imic as a kind of very professional captain with the head sticked on his job... He definitely stands out as a great martial art teacher, probably the best in the fort. When it comes to teaching, he actually outranks Pathril. Being the elite of the elite aint easy, but it's all good ! Thanks a lot

Malfinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 13, 2018, 09:08:58 am »

“Sounds fun, I’d like to spend more time with my little shrimp.” She gave him another hug, and hurried away to her room.

Duslud stood there for a while to get the blush off his face. He could already imagine Onget giving him grief about it. After a while, he began limping back to the library. “What did I do to deserve her?” he thought to himself as he started down the path.
it so cute

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 13, 2018, 09:41:08 am »

Here's my take on the flag.

Well, at least I tried.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #832 on: January 14, 2018, 11:06:07 pm »

Oh hey Monitor o/ Nice to have you here !
The flag is great ! The only thing is, it needs to be five arrows and should be shot at the shield - that is to represent Watershield was meant to repel elven attacks before that whole goblin situation broke loose. Either way, I modified it a bit and I used it as decoration for the meeting hall, at the top of the keep.

Also...next update may take time. There is a lot of things to write and to draw so if you don't see updates coming, it's normal, I have a big load of work on the bench !

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 20, 2018, 09:23:24 am »

Just to keep th' thread going until Cathar is alive and well
"Men! On my count!"

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #834 on: January 20, 2018, 11:28:09 am »

This update covers the most part of year 141, and can be read as the first part of the epilogue. Hopefully, when the fort closes, all the little arcs will have their conclusion ! Okay let's go :

When we had recovered from the party, which by itself caused more damage than the fight with Odlug, it was time for us to resume the construction of the outer wall. Everyone got back to their works. The consumption of wood and copper was so high we couldn't really forge new heavy armors for the newly formed Skirmisher squad under Zefer's command, so we decided to equip them with what we had of leather, add a mail undercloth to it, and keep the squad in the rearguard in the incoming conflict.

The main tactic of the Riverguard should remain more or less unaltered. Unlike the old bow squad, the skirmisher squad was to follow the main force, use softening fire while flanking the enemy, then joining the main corp once the melee has been engaged and the enemy line broken. We need to try this strategy - hopefully it will go well.

The promotion of Zefer would have some other minor effect on how the Riverguard works on the non-military side.

Jalew's clan is undeniably the strongest in Watershield when it comes to numbers : he has nine children alive to this day. Apba, his first daughter - Ino has her soul, as she met her untimely death from wildlife last year - was married to Asin and gave birth to eight children of her own, of which six survived.
Two of them, Idem and Dengusa, were to acquire considerable fame in their respective fields.

In total, Jalew's clan counts 17 members, more than a tenth of the fort. Despite their achievments and their numbers however, they always remained a second class clan, with limited access to local power. The promotion of Zefer into nobility, and his upcoming wedding with Zothoabo's daughter, is undeniably the promotion Jalew was hoping for, increasing considerably his personal and familial standing.

On the topic of merchants - Lemann has been quiet in most of our meetings, but we discovered today he has been far from inactive. Each summer was, apparently, the occasion for him to build a network with the traders of the kingdom. He shaked hands, greasing them on occasion, and thanks to the high quality of the textile goods he was trading for metals every years, became renowed outside of Watershield, especially among the bourgeois of the kingdom. The result of his work was to be seen today : his niece, Uquur, has been chosen to represent the traders guild from now on, and until her death.

Uquur is one of the fiercest warriors of Watershield, and it was thanks to her we could train our army so effectively and so rapidly in our first years. Acting as a Guild Representative would have her travel a lot and meet a lot of danger, but among all the good people of the kingdom, she's undeniably the fittest for the job. Having her niece being promoted to what is technically the number three of the kingdom's royal council, behind only the queen and the general, is a very precious gift for Lemann's little clan, and for Watershield as a whole.

This is not all. Ener, Zothoabo's sister, has been now promoted general, and has moved to Hazelslide to take her office.
Before I go on, maybe I should tell some words about Kostupu, Steppdresses, which is the western village their family comes from.

Earlier, I already mentionned the infamous battle of Kostupu. In 116, the armies of Mong Kima and the elven armies of Fiÿopi Iferi met on the field, for reasons today forgotten. The royal armies were led by a battle tested general, the famous Lubbe Finbrushes, and were attempting to protect the western villages against elven incursions.

Lemann, among others, was part of this army.

However, the army of the kingdom was still recovering for other defensive wars against the elves, while the army of Fiÿopi Iferi were fresh and had the numbers on their sides. Fighting ten on one, Mong Kima lost the initial clash. Lemann was wounded and evacuated, and Commander Lubbe was slain in battle. She would be later entombed in Sinsugar, the kingdom's vault for great heroes.

The army attempted to regroup in Kostupu to reorganize and fight further - it only enraged the elves who followed them there. A second battle took place in the village, the army completely obliterated and Kostupu pillaged.

The peace was signed soon after, but to this day, the wound remains fresh in our collective memory.

Zothoabo and his family are survivors from Kostupu's slaughter. The doctor only parted from his remaining siblings ten years later, in 126, to work to the fort of Brokenbronze, starting a travel that would lead him, in 131, to become a member of the Riverguard.

It is the first time in 15 years he heard the name of his sister again - apparently, Ener had some success of her own. What has been a survivor of the Kostupu massacre is now our General.

Osme Stobûb is not limiting itself to attacking Watershield. After Lomoth's campaign in the north that left the nothern goblins a shadow of their former self, they are now sending army over army to expend in the south. In the span of one year, they conducted a great number of attacks against the dwarven kingdom of Lålrigòth, and against our ally, the men of Egapesor.

The dwarves didn't put put a fight, and were slaughtered easily. The fortresses of Urnverse and Blushchambers fell and are now into Lomoth's clawed hands. The village of Shakenflames, of Egapesor kingdom, resisted a bit more and managed to repel Osme's armies a couple times, but it eventually fell.

Lomoth's plan becomes clearer and clearer as we see the events unfold. They are trying for regional hegemony, conquering the subcontinent and subduing every rival nation they can. So far, Mong Kima and Watershield in particular is the only one who organized a credible resistance to their conquest, and if this goes on, we'll soon be completely encircled by the north, south and east.

Dark clouds are now covering the sky. Ino help us.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:53:15 am by Cathar »

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 20, 2018, 12:15:17 pm »

We can push through folks! We are watershield people aftwr all
"Men! On my count!"

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #836 on: January 20, 2018, 12:40:06 pm »

Maybe now is a good time to check for interest in a follow up, for Watershield. Right now there'll be a lot of work for adventurers in the subcontinent, or even in the whole kingdom. Would you guys be interested in doing some adventurer bloodline in the near future? I want to continue to write the history of the kingdom, and I think it'd be more fun if we do that together

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 20, 2018, 02:15:55 pm »

Are you on the latest version? We could, at a later stage, invade them ourselves and end this war.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #838 on: January 20, 2018, 02:31:27 pm »

Yes, I finally got myself to upgrade to the latest version. No issue so far, but since the world was generated in 43.03 (I think) we'll miss out on some features. That said, I want to keep the counter attack for a later stage. Maybe we can, later, build a fortress specifically made to stop and revert their progress.

But what I have in mind for the very near future is to go and explore the world beyond the boundaries of the fort, questing, and have a more close up look at the state of the subcontinent. I kinda want to see how the kingdom goes more closely, and meet other allied rulers, and as I understood, people who follow the thread are more adventurer mode than fortress mode, so it would kill two birds with one stone.

If no one is interested, no biggie, Ill do it on my own, but I feel like it could be a fun experience to share more directly

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 20, 2018, 02:33:44 pm »

I think I would like to see that, yes.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 111