Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 235608 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #975 on: February 20, 2018, 04:20:08 pm »

Actually, they just started killing each other and ran off.  I'll work it into the story.

I just . . . I just feel like this has strength as a metaphor.  For something.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #976 on: February 20, 2018, 04:23:37 pm »

The true prison is inside, mental wounds leave burning scars, and you can save someone from themselves

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #977 on: February 21, 2018, 02:12:46 am »

(By the way, I was mistaken.  Most goblins in the Land of Confining are gray.)

It is said that those who visit the Cathedral of Bravery will have their dreams blessed and may receive messages from the gods.

The goblins in the South and East, who bear the ashen mark upon their skin, are mine.  My servant in the East leads them, but in the South they yet wander with no leader, for my chosen one has grown lazy on account of the power I have granted her.  Her life is yours to do as you please.  Take my slab and take her place.  This is your destiny, for you were born to serve me.

She refused.  Though Sisha's heart desired wisdom, and sought to read the words upon the Cremated Bones and through them know the secrets of life and death, she chose to discard the cursed slab instead.  The Cremated Bones was lost in The Crowded Hills, and to this day none know where it lies.
With Anlar dead and the slab of Thrathnu Scorchedsculpts lost, the curse upon the Land of Confining began to lift.  But it would still be many generations before the stain of the curse was gone forever.

Her heart still burning from the battle in the tower, Sisha decided it was time to meet her own kind.  She traveled south, to the Forests of Heat.
Spoiler: Ambush (click to show/hide)
From this battle, Sisha got a full set of iron armor (no plate, just chainmail), an iron long sword, and a full set of troll-fur garments to wear over it.  Now she looked like a proper goblin, rather than a human-raised one.

Also there was a goblin-raised elf among them.
(She tried to attack later, in Copperconfine, so Sisha killed her.)

The full moon was rising.  Remember Noloc, the naked hobo?  Ran into him again.
Spoiler: A wereskink attacks (click to show/hide)

With more experience under her belt, Sisha decided to visit Ardentstar one last time.

"Anlar is dead, Father.  I will cleanse this land of evil, whether you want me to or not."

Sisha found Kofi waiting.  It was time to journey together once again.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 21, 2018, 03:42:36 am »

Sisha and Kofi made their way north, to the town of Zephyrbottle.  While there, they visited the Armored Church and had a quick talk with the First Gladness, Emtha, a worshiper of Sabu Buddawned, the goddess of games, food, fertility, and agriculture (not to be confused with Sabu Virtuesearched, god of fish and justice).
"The shadow of the necromancer Anlar and the tower of Plainsbrewed long lies over this land."
"Actually, I just killed Anlar.  The curse has been broken."
"Is that so," Emtha said, drawing a long silver knife from his belt.
"What-"
With a smooth movement, Emtha rushed past Sisha and stabbed the axeman sneaking up from behind.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Sorry, we've been getting a lot of bandits lately.  Fortunately, we don't call this the Armored Church for nothing."

Heading further north, the land seemed to become greener.  Sisha and Kofi found numerous dwarven hillocks, and goblin bandits seemed to be everywhere.  In Salvechambers, they fended off a small attack.
"Are these what goblins are usually like?"

Very close to the northwest tip of the continent, in the small coastal town of Clusterflickers, Sisha and Kofi were jumped by a small band of three goblins, who ordered them to yield.  Kofi quickly killed all three.
"Well done," a nearby ranger said.  "Seems I wasn't needed here after all.  My name is Mudung Plungedgloss.  Would you two like to visit my home?  I'd love to have you for dinner."
"That sounds good."

Mudung Plungedgloss: Once the Sacred Guard of the Cathedral of Bravery, a curse was placed upon him when he profaned the sanctuary.  Unlike his wife, the vampire Stran, Mudung managed to live his life without anyone ever suspecting his unnatural nature.  It was believed among many that his marriage to Stran corrupted him, causing him to perform acts of violence against his fellows.  Though he had been forced to flee from city to city after murders, he never remained anywhere long enough for people to realize he never aged, and so his true nature remained largely unknown.

"So the tower of Plainsbrews is cleared of its curse.  This is good news.  I lived in the south once, ages ago... Have you ever been to the Cathedral of Bravery?  I was once the Sacred Guard there.  But I was forced to flee when my wife, Stran Sneakeddesert, murdered one of the citizens there.  Stran was a vampire, you see."

"We are travelling the world, righting wrongs, protecting the innocent, that kind of stuff."
"Will you do me a favor?  The last time I heard of her, Stran was going to the fortress of Watershield, in the northeast.  Perhaps you could bring her something."
"Is that a crown made out of teeth?"
"Haha, I suppose it is a bit strange...but it was her gift to me.  Please bring it to her and tell her I still await her return."

At the Fruity Snack, a tavern in Slyhair
"So you're really going?  I thought you wanted to clear this land of monsters first."
"Seems to me that you've got this already handled, Kofi."
"Watershield is a long distance from here.  How are you even going to make it?"
"There's a spot east of here where the continents nearly touch.  A strong swimmer could make it across."
"This isn't just about Stran, is it?"
"No."

In my dreams, he calls to me.  I see him watching - Lomoth, the lizard-king of the goblins of the East.
A storm is gathering.  He wants my service.
I shall face him.  But I shall not serve him.

Spoiler: A quick dip (click to show/hide)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 21, 2018, 04:04:23 am »

I love this. It makes me want to play adventurer mode again.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 21, 2018, 04:11:44 am »

In the West, the elf Imere, Princess of the Tusk of Churches, was dissatisfied.
The kingdoms of the Dwarves and Humans were growing too fast, and the power of the forests were weakening.
There could only be one answer to this.

On her journey to the East, Sisha passed through lands at war.  Bands of dwarves and elves roamed the land, some armed, and others fleeing their homes.  The mountain fortress of Reveredlashed was unlike any edificie she had seen before.  A vast fortress connected to an intricate underground tunnel network, and a massive spiral staircase leading down into a pit of molten rock.  Reptile folk occasionally slithered up from the caverns, but a strong mercenary force could easily defend it from the terrors below.  Yet even they were in fear of the elf princess Ireme.

But Sisha could not stay.  Perhaps another hero would come to save this land.

Even further eastward, fear of Imere spread.  At the town of Gladdimples, folk were deserting their homes, unsure of where to go.

Spoiler: Fleeing citizens (click to show/hide)

But as she traveled toward the East, shadows of a greater terror began to take shape.  The realm of Lomoth was close.

Until finally, she arrived at Watershield itself.
Spoiler: ...What a dump. (click to show/hide)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: February 21, 2018, 04:37:37 am »

Lol
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 21, 2018, 05:01:22 am »

"You're leaving us?"
"Just for a while.  There's something I have to do."

Sisha set out East.  She crossed the Abyssal Mire, where numerous towns and hillocks lay abandoned.  The evil power in the Infected Marsh tore at her, and she crawled her way across the Fierce Spikes, until she at last arrived at the dark fortress of Dungeonpleat.

The thick evil power here was like a tangible force, impeding her process.  Just moving forward felt like walking through treacle.  But as she grew closer to the center, the power grew more bearable.

She entered the fortress and was quickly greeted by a welcoming party of beak dogs and trolls.
"Not even going to send proper soldiers to fight, is that it?  Well, let's do this."

"Are you here to rescue us?"
"Yes.  But not until Lomoth himself is dead."
"Wait-"
Sisha charged forward, and the swarm of beasts grew thicker.
"You can't fight this!"
"If we all work together-"
"Stop."
Sisha turned to the side.  Her left ear had been torn off, and her right eye was slashed open.
"When I was first brought here, they took me before Lomoth.  You don't know what you're dealing with.  Fifty men are no more a threat to him than fifty ants."
"But-"
"You can't win, goblin.  We appreciate all you have done, but there is a time to run."

Perhaps you are right.  Perhaps I was a fool.

Sisha returned to Watershield, with 22 prisoners - elf, dwarf, and human - following behind her.
Together, they built a small fortress to the southwest of Watershield, and called it Safehouse.

"This will be your new home."
"Wait, that's it?  You're just leaving us here?"
"I have a sister in-"
"My mother lives in-"
"I have an uncle in-"
"Shut up!  Look, I can't be bothered to go looking for all of you people!  What do I look like, some kind of sucker?  You're safe, and you've got a new home.  Isn't that enough?"
"Not if I've got to share it with some stinkin' dwarves!"
"Oh, now you've asked for it, tree-licker!"
Spoiler: no guyz stahp (click to show/hide)
"Fine, be like that!  Just...murder each other and...go running away and die in the wilderness, see if I care -"
"Hey, I found a waterskin under the floorboards!  Guess I'll take this with me-"
"No, don't-"
"What the- what is this, blood?  What kind of crazy lunatic puts blood in a waterskin?"
"I- don't- oh.  Um."

And so they left, and so Sisha returned to Watershield.
Sometimes, it doesn't matter what you tried to do.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 21, 2018, 05:05:26 am »

Nicely done.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #985 on: February 21, 2018, 07:34:38 am »

(By the way, I was mistaken.  Most goblins in the Land of Confining are gray.)

Knew it :D Gray with purple hair even. Knowing this kind of details help me to draft a phenotipical map. Sisha is definitely an Osme goblin, and theres probably something to be told about how she ended up in Xakedgil. Finding out the story of her origins would be a superb premise to the story - she knows she's not like the other, even the occasional goblins she met in the south are different from her. This makes for a cool story. Woops, read her new description. Well now she looks like a local, this works too

Thats why I love DF so much. At first it appears nothing make sense, everything is buggy or randomized, but once you scratch the surface and start to assemble the pieces, the picture it paints just makes sense.

Some characters you met are just pure gold. Kofi is best companion confirmed. Also I remember Lucmen ! By the time Luki met her, she was just a bard in Hairyoracle, but after protecting the city from the elves it was decided in worldgen she would become the local lady. Nice to see her again :D
Also Imere... name rings a bell. I need to double check but I think she was the one responsible for the massacre of Kostupu at the time she was just a princess.

Edit : Yes, that's her. Very good elven general, too good maybe for the region

Also wow, she took a beating O: Lost an ear and have some badass eye scars. That will be nice to draw ; theres so much I want to illustrate in this story. Thanks a lot for the screenshots, this is really, really helpful.

Oh and, well, for the prisonners don't beat yourself up with that.  For most of them there'll probably be an happy ending. They'll probably come back to their respective homelands now they are free, and Safehouse can be used as a base of forward operations in the future.

Also, for the occasional failures and all, it makes your character shine much brighter. No one like mary sue. Having Sisha have trouble, struggling and not succeeding in everything she tries, that's what makes a great character. Thank you so much.

PS If you plan to continue, I'll advise to tell the stories of your adventures to the people of Watershield. They will like them very much. If you do this, no doubt you can find employment under Zefer

Edit 2 : Tell you what, imma start over with the illustrations. I'll make them better and that story will stick out in the global history of the world. It'll take time but it'll worth it
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:58:55 am by Cathar »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 21, 2018, 10:27:49 am »

Hm, I guess I technically still have time, huh?  Though I'm not sure what else there is to do for this story.  I could maybe do a bit more wandering if the next player isn't ready to start.

My main meta-goal for this playthrough - get a necroslab and a vampire canteen and store them under the floorboards of a constructed site for a later, more morally questionable adventurer - was a complete failure since apparently I don't understand how sites work.  And also underestimated how heavy stone slabs are.

I presume that The Cremated Bones is on some random tile nearby Plainsbrews, for anyone who feels like becoming a necromancer without going through the trouble of raiding a tower.

And yeah, the war in the west seems like an interesting goal for later adventurers.  Reversedlashed is a nice-looking mountain hall with an easily-accessible underground tunnel, unlike the laggy labyrinths dwarven fortresses tend to be (at least in my experience), so I'd suggest starting there if anyone wants to play as a dwarf.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #987 on: February 21, 2018, 10:37:57 am »

Hm, I guess I technically still have time, huh?  Though I'm not sure what else there is to do for this story.  I could maybe do a bit more wandering if the next player isn't ready to start.

It's up to you but when you're done I'll put the thread on hold for some time, so I can catch up. If you feel like you're done,what you can do isto find Sisha a job for her to do in worldgen. Tell the stories of her adventures and you can find a job in any squad you want.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 21, 2018, 12:26:08 pm »

I guess I'll continue for a bit longer.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #989 on: February 21, 2018, 01:03:07 pm »

That's the wrong Duslud :D The real little redhead is somewhere in the temple complex, you can see him because he's a collection of injuries ; he should be a scholar I believe.

But hey you got yourself some ways to change your values. That conversation with Onget is kinda cute.

"I believe in my friends !" -Onget
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 111