Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 110

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 229744 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 10:55:44 am »

Valken and Idla

Ser Stipoth Buttervalley

Pardon my late response – not only I have been very busy with the construction of the keep, but I didn't want to waste your precious time with chitchat, as life has been particularly uneventful as of late.

I don't know when my letter will reach you, but I write it the day of the new year 132. Having arrived in Moonstone 130, we have been in Watershield for more than a year now- it is the time it took to complete the keep.There are, of course, very minor finishing touches to be made but this little wooden castle is fully functional right now.

Before anything else, let me assure you that we received the visit of your student Uquur and her family – she arrived with many other people that have been promptly been put to work. All of them are hard working men and women, and their efforts allowed us to finish the fort in time.

More recently even, two more migrants joined us – coming from Brokenbronze aswell. Rislud Icgillettad, legendary farmer, and Thad Lutogoto, who introduced himself as his disciple, but who is upon inspection a very able fighter.

Since, I feel that beside those arrivals and the completion of the keep, I might be short of news, I will tell you about our current situation, the morale of our people and our projects.

Welcome to Watershield keep ! You might think the interior is not as good looking as the exterior, and you would be right. We have a lot of work to do still, but security and self suffiscience were valued over looks. Practicality – it trumps everything else.

But worry not, as we'll work on that later as I will explain.

The ground floor is currently used for the very basic needs of the population. On the north side, the kitchen and the farmer workshop keep everyone fed. Later, we'll move the farmer workshop on the hanging gardens. On the southern side,  we patched together some beds and a table to gut hunting catches. People do complain, but they would complain even more if they had to sleep on the ground. The main hall is currently used to stock food, and of course we'll have to move that soon to a better granary.

Also notice the drawbridge we made and the lever linked to it : once it's raised, nothing can get in or out the keep, aside flying creatures. The population has been told to rush to the keep at the sound of the townbell – once everyone is inside, we can endure any siege.

Here are the hanging gardens which produce food and alcohol, with the distillery next to it. Workshop allow us tobuild the base materials to continue our building and expansion. The wood is also stored here for conveniance.

The second floor is meant to house the permanent residents of the keep – the future administrators. The rooms are small and functionnal, but like the rest, they will need improvement. On the north side, Uquur will keep drilling people and teach them self defense methods so no one will be caught unprepared. When we have to house nobles, we will make some arrangements so they can live in decent conditions with their families.

The third floor is where people will eat and gather in the event of an attack. We will also move the granary there, later. This hall shall be heavily decorated and serve as our long term seat of power.

In the near future, we want to expend outside of the keep and create a village to the west. Each family will have individual houses including dining table, chairs, rooms and workshops related to their crafts. We also want to start digging the earth, trying to work around the aquifer. It is a perillous mission, especially in a swamp, but the rewards may very well worth the risks.

The morale is extremely high and people are eagier to pursue our mission. After having auditted the people, three motives of insatisfaction are well shared : the lack of proper rooms – which is currently worked on – and the lack of a place to pray, which we will work on as soon as everyone can live decently.

As for me, I have trained under the teaching of Uquur for some months. My absence seem to make my love interest quite distressed, so for a time, I will put my fledging squad off duty and have everyone work together.

Be assure we'll be ready to fend off the elves very soon.

The Riverguard stays with you in heart,
Pathril Omaaloc

OOC : Here is a bit of information about Ryukan !Please let me know if you wish me to do anything with the character.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:58:44 am by Cathar »

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 12:41:22 pm »

Nice artwork!
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 02:11:53 pm »

Nice artwork!
Thank you :D

The pace will become very slow as shit hit the fan really really really hard, but I'll work on my next update this week end

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 05:03:18 pm »

I feel like since shit hit the fan quite unexpectedly, I should go very fast on the miscellanea happenings of this spring 132.

So first of all, very good new. On the nine of Slate, Cikul and Ustra, who came to Watershield from Brokenbronze last year, had their third child, an adorable baby by the name of Thur.

Not very long after that, Ume (farmer), Abpa (clothier) and their four children came also from Brokenbronze. With them, Sasir, a carpenter also made the trip, to become the apprentice of Valken, who now reached the Legendary level in carpentry.

Everything was fine. The construction of the village was going well, two families could now have their own house according to our expansion plan. We started to mine the ground despite of the aquifer and discovered black sand underneath us. This is absolutely perfect.

Then one fateful night, the first of Hematite, this happened.

Cries could be heard through the night.
The alarm was instantly given and the whole population rushed to the keep for safety as the militia mobilized. It took us but a minute to understand where this was coming from, but it was a minute too much.

Shit shit shit shit

OH SHIT, of all people that could have befallen upon, of COURSE it's the legendary carpenter.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:29:56 pm by Cathar »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 05:31:54 pm »

Music

Valken puts up a good fight. He dodges the first two attacks before he's bit on the head. He manages to free himself before the monster can latch on, but after this point the fight is one-sided. The werebeast catches him by the hand and takes two bites at him, in the leg and in the arm, before losing interest and running wild in the village. Valken takes the chance and runs for it.

The alarm bell rings and everyone runs for their live as the militia runs down the stairs to meet the danger head on

But it's too late. Rasnu already jumped on Ilpi, Usquur's youngest son and snapped his hand. Now it's very very personnal
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:04:09 pm by Cathar »

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 06:21:25 pm »

Werebeasts do love to eat toddlers, don't they?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 06:22:31 pm »

Werebeasts do love to eat toddlers, don't they?

Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about :(

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 08:09:55 pm »

Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about :(
I'm sigging that.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2017, 07:37:57 am »

Oh I love this.
Please dorf me at some point as a swordsman. The militia commander will do.
Muahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 07:43:29 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 08:45:01 am »

I desire a "dorfing" (rather a humaning) as the bookkeeper!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 09:53:21 pm »

For seconds that seems hours, the beast stands on the poor boy, stomping and biting him. Ilpi tries to disengage, but the monsters grab him and strike him some more.
That is until the militia finally shows up, led by the axe teacher from Brokenbronze.
Who happen to be Ilpi's mother.
Who happen to be particularly angry.
And who happen to be legendary +5 axeman.

Contact.

She charges the monster from behind, using pretty much the only weapon at her disposal, a copper axe we usually use to cut wood. She strikes at his tail, almost cutting it in half. The monster stands and tries to turn to her, but he immediately falls on his butt as she sections the nerves on his leg.

Ilpi take the chance and runs for it, leaving a trail of blood behind him.

The low quality weapon pains to pierce the dense scales of the monster, making his execution particularly long. During the fight, she lops off his left hand - fitting rettribution for crippling her son - strike his other arm to the bone, then focus her attacks on his head. Rusna falls down eventually, allowing Uquur to step on him and strike him on the head five more times. During all this I and another militiaman strike him to no effect with sticks. He eventually dies of bloodloss.

The rampage of Rusna was over.

Ilpi and Valken were to survive. Probably. But both have been biten, and are now infected. We are currently locking them in a doorless house, waiting for the morning to come, so we can take a reasonable decision about them.

Imic and Asin, you'll be dorfed for next update ! Altho I dont have a position of militia commander to give, I'll give you a post of militiaman, until you're experienced enough to run your own sword squad
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 05:52:08 pm by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 01:49:24 am »

Thanks!
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 03:17:34 pm »

Thank you.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2017, 08:58:56 pm »

As the fort of Watershield recovers from the werebeast attack, the two infected are walled in a small building to prevent immediate outbreak. We still don't know what to do with those two – as it is the first time this situation happens in Mong Kima, with citizen actually surviving a bite from a werebeast.

So we did what every sensible community does when it comes to deal with dirty laundry : we burried the problem and called it a day. No one's to say anything and things will get smooth.

Or so we think. Less than a month later, Ilpi and Valken transformed, as expected. What was not expected is to hear them jump at each other throat. When the morning came, Valken was alone, naked, next to the corpse of an equally naked six years old. Thanks god the kid was remained in werebeast form or else it would be even more awkward.

Right now there is a rotting corpse in the walled house, and I have no idea what to do with it. We cant burry it, we can't even take it out... Maybe we'll figure it out later. Or maybe we'll just keep burrying the problem. All I know is his mother doesnt take our solution very kindly but we're out of options here.

Other than that incident, summer was pretty soft on us. The heat and humidity is unberable as always, but somehow we manage to make it do. The construction of the village is taking a good turn – very soon all families will be able to sleep together in good conditions.

Bachelors will continue to sleep in the common rooms in the keep for now – maybe closeness will lead to the fundation of more families ? Besides, we don't have the means for making individual houses now.

In midsummer, we received the visit of merchants from Hairyoracle. We hadn't a lot to trade, mostly wooden crafts, but we managed to haggle some metal, and some items the population requested.

We had no dedicated broker, so we asked one of the citizens to designate themselves. Jamila volonteered, quite unexpected from the antisocial hunter, but she did pretty well. Apparently she learned some haggling tricks in the process.

Among the items we bought, weaponry for our fledgeling defense force. Better axes and, as Imic requested, swords aswell. As Perlites, we use mostly axes for warfare as they are usually more versatile and can be used as tools, but if he prefers a sword, so be it, it works too.

I asked Jamila if she wanted to become our dedicated broker, but she declined, stating that she would prefer to remain in the forest or in the army. I'll have to give it a thought.

It has to be noted merchants came with very bad news from our brothers in Brokenbronze. Apparently they have been attacked again – and this time suffered a great defeat. Fifty men were killed... among them, twenty were Brokenbronze citizens. One of their captain also gave his life in battle.

We have to prepare ourselves – for it may soon be our turn.

As a last new, I want to write down a bit about those three people – Ryukan, Asin and Imic.

•  Ryukan Heartduty has been with us from the start. He is officially a lumberjack, but when the stocks of woods are full enough, he helps with the glass industry. He is an orphan like the six other initial members of the Riverguard, and is unmarried.
• While much younger than Ryukan and Imic, Asin Ashchannels is already married and the father of four children – one girl, Idem, and three boys, Rigu, Upnal and Uzu. His wife  Apba is a master weaver. Asin was recently promoted to the position of bookkeeper and will be given an office in the keep soon.
• Imic Taxedrams is a proeffiscient fighter, who joined us last year, late autumn 131. He is of unknown lineage and is not married. However he is in good terms with Luki Hollowfancies, the lady and hero of Hairyoracle, and was already very good with weapons when he joined us. No doubt that with Uquur's mentoring, he will become an invincible fighter soon. He's a worshipper of Gogol Deathphantom, god of suicide.

To finish - now what we need is armors for our defense force... and we don't have any metal to spare. Luckily, we're Pearlites, people of the sea. We know how to make workable light armor with shells ; and we have some leather to go with it. So as a project for the autumn, we shall : 
• Finish the houses in projects, start out a defensive wall around the village.
• Upgrading the keep with the production of our glass industry
• Producing equipment to gear and expend our defense force.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:24:22 pm by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 12:17:48 am »

Thanks!
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 110