Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 230667 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2017, 02:20:03 pm »

Autumn has brought us a lot of troubles, to the point I believe it warrants two updates instead of one. While the Riverguard was funded to fight off the elven incursions into the main territory of the Nation of Pearls, we have yet to see a single pointy ear around. Wether they don't know we're here or they are deliberately ignoring us we do not know, but so far the main dangers we faced came from other sources.

First we had Rusna who infected Valken and Uquur's youngest son. We thought we could contain them into a barricaded house, but next thing we know is them jumping at each other's throat next full moon. Ilpi's dead – Valken told us through the wooden walls, and three months after the incident we're still at lost on how to manage the issue.

Uquur's getting restless and so am I.

This is not all – last time we tried to talk to Valken, his voice had changed. Drastically. He has the voice of a very old man now... I believe it's part of the curse but such reaction never occured. He's suffering a great deal and I don't know what to do.

That's not all : as she was fishing in the brook, Asin's wife spotted one of those devilish goblins lurking around the fort. As he was carrying a bag, she righly assumed he was out to kidnap one of the Riverguard's children.

We deployed immediately – but the creature ran off.

Moderate success, then... Now we know for sure the goblins are onto us and upgrading our defenses is becoming an urgent priority.

Then, the first of Hematite, we received a quite worrying letter from Brokenbronze. We need to assess the situation. I will continue this report when this whole thing is sorted out.

Commander Pathril Omaaloc,

Do not reply to this letter, but consider its content as upmostly important.

Let's get the chitchat out of the way : after their last attack on our wall and despite our losses, Brokenbronze still has a very able fighting force and can endure the war. The western elves however are disorganized and exhausted. We might very well win the war on the western front very soon.

Now to the important bit : one of my agent is conducting an operation near Watershield, and you are to help them. As per usual, they will bear the arms of the Nation on their metal cap so you can recognize them. Here's everything you need to know : a caravan will cross Watershield in a few days. You are to arrest this caravan, disarm everyone inside, safe for the aforementionned agent and the people they will designate. Until you are clear of their identity, consider each and everyone of them as a mortal threat.
Should you face resistance, use lethal force without negociation.

I don't like to insist on it Commander, but of the success of this operation depends the future of the country.

May the gods be with you,
Commander Stipoth Buttervalley,
Cosigned by Great General Tis Tangletrampled

-

OOC : Thanks for everyone's encouragements. Sorry it takes time, but as I'll explain in next update, this side story is a world class event and something I really want to record
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:22:33 pm by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2017, 08:06:38 am »

I love this. Political intrigue already!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2017, 10:02:03 am »

This is a follow up to Autumn's report... And it looks like we have a lot to talk about.
We followed orders from Brokenbronze and the Crown as the security of the realm goes before absolutely anything else - this is why we're here after all.
Uquur, Imic and I deployed as mentionned in the letter to intercept the caravan. We took every bit of weaponry we had ; judging by the tone of Commander Stipoth, we decided to let nothing to chance.

At first sight it looked like an usual migrant caravan, but as we arrested it as ordered, we came accross the Brokenbronze agent. His name was Mim Eschahiner - another of Stipoth famous students. Uquur knew him well, both of them were native of the same southern village and trained together for years. He explained the situation to us quickly :

In his custody was Stran Sneakdesert, nicknamed "the Skinny Sadnesses". She was a vampire of over one hundred years, and caused a lot of trouble not only in her homecountry, but also in Brokenbronze. While accounts on her are quite unreliable, victims of her murders were over one hundred twenty, including ten in Brokenbronze. She's also the murderer of Dothan Cherishyawn, founder of Brokenbronze, and a lot of others...

Vampire hunting is a dabbling science in Mong Kima, but we're learning fast. First problems with them arised some...six or seven years ago. Three vampires were confirmed in Brokenbronze. Of which the names of two of them are known. Regalfingers, a native of Mong Kima most probably, was catched by Stipoth himself after the murder of the Lord's eldest son, and after a long seance of what can only be described as torture, was dismembered and left to die. I myself am a bit ambivalent about this treatment, but to their defenses, it was truely the first time they had to execute a vampire, and Regalfinger was known to kill children.

Stran however, killed mostly adults, and until now, always managed to escape detection. She was unmasked two years ago by a local hero, Luki Usupim and lost her right hand in the scaffle. While she managed to escape, her wound is what set Mim on her track, eventually leading up to her capture.

Altho we are not equipped yet to handle a prisonner of this caliber, Stran was put in a makeshift jail in the sand mine and let to rot. We will need to give her a proper jail, but for now we have more pressing issues on our hands.

In other news, the village still grows as expected. We finished the western house and gave it to Asin, his wife and kids. We made a little office in it so he can start accounting our possessions. No doubt this will prove useful in the future. A defensive wall also has been started, and expending it will be our next priority.

In conclusion, two citizens asked us to get a library and hospital started. We'll get to it as soon as the house is finished. These people were Saren Rodohzemel, which wants to further our understanding of the supernatural, and Zothoabo Ocgimonal, who wish to set down a place for the wounded. Both of which will probably be cruscial in the future.

Not shown here, is also Mate Abuthbistkash, who asked us to undertake the role of dedicated cook, and it is probably a good idea to specialize our people.

[Editor note : no picture of Mate yet, as you can see this season was heavy on my shoulders, but it's in the works!]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And last but not least, our experimentations with shells proven successful so far. We developped a prototype of full armor we decided to call "Ombathalo Stalco", the river scale armor. It's a bit light, but provides a modicum of protection as we desperately need metal. Later on, we will probably replace it by metal armor is trade with Hazelslide proves fruitful, but we can't have our militia go into the fray with no protection. The Ombathalo armor will allow us, in the near future, to expend our militia further.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2017, 10:13:23 am »

:D
I have arrived!  :D :D :D
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2017, 10:21:42 am »

Welcome in the world of Minbazkar !
Also Zothoabo is the almost litteral translation of Megaman, just in case you guys wonder.

I'm thinking, starting next season, to make a sort of town council, so people dorfed in can propose projects and we can evaluate our progression. For now we're doing really good, but things can get messy really fast as I came to understand, and a bit of collective planning would definitely help me out a bit (and be more fun and immersive)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2017, 11:05:47 am »

I have a house now! Yes!

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 11:07:28 am »

Can you dorf human me? I don't really care who, anyone is fine.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2017, 11:54:51 am »

But of course, you're in next update !

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2017, 02:00:29 pm »

I love it! Please keep going!
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2017, 02:58:12 pm »

Thanks Cathar. Can't wait for those juicy medical records, 8P
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2017, 03:31:50 pm »

Woohoo! I'm in!
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2017, 06:25:46 pm »

For subsequent dorfing requests, I'd be very glad if you mention not only the job you want, but also what you definitely do not want - stuff like being married to another dorfed character, being married at all, having a specific gender or gender orientation, age etc. It would totally help me out !

So far I've been trying mostly to dorf people as single men, as I believe (maybe wrongly) it's what people want but I'm running short on men right now. Soon some of the children will come of age but...we might have to wait one year.

Also I try to give you people as much control over the destiny of your characters as I can, so if I can do anything with them please let me know.
And last thing : are you people interested in the perspective of a "town council" ? If you are, it'll happen at the beggining of every year, which means the end of next update

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2017, 06:43:20 pm »

I'll take anything, really. Also, a town council sounds pretty neat, I'd love to see that.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2017, 02:38:12 pm »

Especially compared to the insane autumn we've just been through, winter has been very soft on us. When we came here three years ago, we've been told that trees in the Enchanted Swamp would never lose their leaves... this is not exactly true. They do lose their leaves - but only for a couple of weeks - and as soon as they fall, new ones start burgeoning. This is truely an amazing thing to witness.

Only one minor event came troubling our work ; one day as we were preparing for a sparring session, Thathnu, Uquur's husband, came to me, asking to keep his wife busy and to come with him without arousing suspiscion. He told me some strange things were happening in the old common room. I ordered Uquur to carry on the drilling and followed her husband. While the usual noises arose from the old common bedroom - as kids usually congregate there to play - I was definitely not prepared to see Ilpi, the poor child who died half a year ago, to be playing with his siblings.

Apparently they were not making a big deal that he was dead and were having a great time with him. Their father was as perplexed as I was. We know at this point that ghosts arise from unmemorialized dead people... but we don't know what they are capable of. We decided to take no chance in that, and used one of the few stones we brought with us three years ago to engrave a slab to the kid's name, and bring him back to the afterlife.

Besides morale considerations about the place of the living and the place of the dead needing to keep separate, we don't know enough about ghost to predict their behavior and we don't want to find any other dead child.

We also received a letter from someone we haven't heard about for a long time, back in Hairyoracle. It reads as follows :

Dear people of Watershield

So, this is Luki Usupim. You probably heard the name "Sitsuquistra" ? Dragon hunting, vampire hunting, all that - well. If you havn't, it's not really important ; what's important is, I want to keep the area safe and that's why we need to cooperate !
When Lady Dilol asked you to build a fortress between Hazelslide and the territory of the eastern elves, I was sort-of par of the plan. The idea is, you're the first line, I'm the second line and everything's good.

And about that, well. You're not doing your job very well. Elves continue to sneak past you to flood Hairyoracle. We had to fend them off just right now. It's not a big deal for now, we beat them no problem, but...

Okay how can I say that.

I'll put it bluntly : when we took Hairyoracle, the eastern elves just routed the traditional leaders, the Sly Council. Like they squashed them really bad. So we took the city with my little band and now we're in charge. Problem : the Sly Council is arming up again, Sabu Virtuesearch knows why. Well we exactly know why they are doing this ; and we'll have a civil war on our hands real soon. So I'll be very very glad if you can stop the elves at Watershield because as it stands they will just add up to the mess in Hairyoracle.

Captain Luki Usupim "Sitsuquistra"

PS : Congratulations on capturing Stran ! I fucked her up real good but she can run really fast for an old lady. Four times she escaped !

---

Other than that, there's not much to be told. Mim fell off a window while sparring, which made us decide to begin building an hospital before schledule.

The village continues to grow and we're building more houses for the various families to live confortably. For now everythings doing great. Here is a little map of the various families already housed. As a reminder, to access property, married couples and people with children are placed on the top of the waiting list because it makes things easier for everyone.

For now, our doctor and his kids are living in the dependance of Uquur's and Trathnu's house. He'll be moved with his kid to the hospital when its construction is finished.

The hanging garden has been completely enclosed with a glass ceiling, which gives the place a green eery look. The heat is hardly bearable, but our farmers are tough people and will endure.

Mate and Rethi-Eli are working there as I write this report.

And as requested ; our medical report :

• Mim Eschahiner :
• Stran seems to suffer a great deal of her lopped off hand but I'm not sure about letting her out.
• Valken seems to have aged unexpededly and drastically. He has the apparence of someone nearly 200 years old. The causes of this phenomenon are unknown. No apparent wound.

Now for the town council.

We've been there for two years now, and we made some significant progress. However we're still pretty far from completing our mission. We do lack people, and our trade hasnt been good enough to warrant us any kind of title from Mong Kima. Besides our military, while extremely well trained, is few in number and only wears light armor.

Here are the topic I need guidance over :

• What to do with Stran and Valken ? Both of them are locked up and present no danger, but isolation is taking a toll on their sanity. Besides we cannot use any of them as it stands.
• Besides the wall, the hospital and the usual village expansion, what project should we carry on ? Any proposal is welcome.
• Any commentary on how things are going is welcome. Also : we're going to trade massively next summer, and we very well may receive our first nobility title. Any idea on how to prepare to that is also welcome.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2017, 04:23:12 pm »

Have you ever read Doomforests?
If not, there was a massive werebeast infestation in a nearby human town, so bad that all human caravans generally tore themselves apart before they left.
They, of course, had to deal with a lot of the, getting infected.
One, however, survived a battle in the dining room between all of the werebeasts.
Ast.
Ast, from then on, was locked away underground once a month, and even formed her own v sattelite village called Astville, which was happier than the actual fort.
What they did was they tracked the days pf the months, and locked her away whenever there was a full moon.
For roleplaying reasons, I don't think we can simply leave them to die, since this town is a very tight knigh community, so you could try the Doomforest approach?
I'm sorry I blabbered, I do that a lot
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 111