Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 230605 times)

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #510 on: November 16, 2017, 07:55:48 pm »

Diary of Zefer Scribefondled

Truth be told, now that the summer has once again started and that a free batch of recruits came into being trained, I can see that my regiment is aware of my natural strength talent..
 Being able to cut swathes into the training dummies. The new recruits look fresh, some of the women even look beautiful, but I don't know if I am even looking for a woman..
But thats not for this story journal..
The trainees seem to be improving alot, so much so that I hope within the next time I write, they shall be in the army...

**it cuts off here as there is a drawing of a man with red hair sitting at a desk with a look of contemplation.
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #511 on: November 16, 2017, 09:25:54 pm »

Awesome update!

It is kind of disappointing when the random werecreature you killed turns out to be a really interesting character in the Legends. Love the story tho.

I'm thinking the next story for Donu will be a mother-daughter talk, so can I get a mood update for Hustra?

Probably won't work on it till next week, but we'll see. Keep up the good work, I much prefer the RP style of play than any type of optimized !FUN!.

Actually, I'm kinda glad that the boss fights we have every now and then are not just random dudes, but actually carry a whole lot of history with them. And now I have to live with the knowlege that, somewhere, deep in the south, the descendants of this man are fighting each others. Maybe, one day, if we're very crafty and find a way to build a bridge to the Land of Confinment, we'll visit the kingdom of Xaked-Gil.

For Hustra, I can give you some information, but since she's one of the topic of next update, I don't want to spoil too much (except to say, to my standards that's a huge change thats going to happen)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yay!  Any idea what Dengusa's first adult beverage was?  Or does a human fort mean no alcohol dependency?

(Oh, wait, I'm being forgetful.  Children drink booze too, don't they?  It's only babies who dehydrate.)

Speaking of it being humans and not dwarves, what's the age for adulthood again?
For alcohol dependancy...yes and no. Human don't need alcohol like dwarves do and are content with water, but alcohol gives them good thoughts. They however acquire dependancy after being confronted with death, and since we're living at the border of the known world...let's say alcohol is a product in high demand.

There is also a case to be made in favor of alcohol - with the number of corpses that end up in the brook, I believe drinking from the still is somewhat safer. To use an euphemism.

Adult age for human is the same as dwarves - 12 years old. But humans live much shorter lives (60-120). We drink mostly river spirits, because rope reeds are really, really accessible for us, so it's probably what he drank.

Also ! I need to mention Zefer has been moved to the Knight regiment, to improve his skills further under a better teacher. Trathnu is good, but he's not Imic good.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 16, 2017, 09:42:29 pm »

So whatever happened to that were person we had locked up before, I seem to have forgotten and fear to search through 35 pages of material.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 16, 2017, 10:09:50 pm »

Can I gets a pic of my eldest child? If you have time that is, and yes, the names are good as they come
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 16, 2017, 11:58:42 pm »

No problem at all ! As I say pretty much all over the thread, nobody has any duty toward the story. Join in if you want, participate when you want, no obligation at all. Luckily, Puja is still alive, so you're in and will join next update (probably tomorrow).

She just lost her brother Enasm last attack tho, on the fight on the bridge.

Good to know. Do you mind giving me the detailed character pages for Sas and their father? I'd ask for Enasam's, too, but I don't remember if you can get those for someone who's dead. Also, did you ever actually elaborate on what the function of the knight squad RPwise beyond being the human version of the Fortress Guard?

Emotional character story fodder right there. You can show how she reacts to the loss, assuming you're one of us writers.

Yeah, I think I might try doing something with that.

Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 17, 2017, 10:33:26 am »

No, once somebody's dead they move to the death list and their character page is retired since little of it is valid anymore. "I don't feel anything, I'm dead" is a bad opener. Though it might be nice if the dead ones, instead of totally retiring their pages, got a little blurb detailing what they died from and what their epitaph is in-game.

I doubt that will happen for some time, since that would be a continued drain on CPU power.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 17, 2017, 12:22:48 pm »

She is married to `Zothoabo' Guardedswamps and has 7 children:  Donu Kindledtrammel, Duslud Hugshound, Thur Socketlove, `Kiseabo' Shinglevision, Hob Webbedcombined, Ithev Yorefaint and Imo Knitplunge.  She is the daughter of Loge Lulledmeal and Sesta Calmstraws. 

Wow, 7 children!!! At first, I thought the youngest child's name was Ino. Would it be blasphamy to rename the child Ino after Zotho's god?

I know you said there is stuff planned for the next update, is that the reason you didn't include her cultural values? I usually use that more than mood to try to build a personality. It's fine if you don't want to include it, just curious.

P.S. It's good to see more people getting into their characters and asking for descriptions, histories, and info.... of course, I'm not the one who has to sift through legends to find that stuff. :)
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #517 on: November 17, 2017, 01:25:09 pm »

So whatever happened to that were person we had locked up before, I seem to have forgotten and fear to search through 35 pages of material.
Valken is still locked up. Still inside this building we fear to open. He's wearing rags and have not ate nor drank for...7 years I believe. I know I should kill him, but I don't have the heart to do that, he's one of the funders of Watershield. Same goes for the vampire Stran. Still locked up awaiting judgement.

Wow, 7 children!!! At first, I thought the youngest child's name was Ino. Would it be blasphamy to rename the child Ino after Zotho's god?

I know you said there is stuff planned for the next update, is that the reason you didn't include her cultural values? I usually use that more than mood to try to build a personality. It's fine if you don't want to include it, just curious.

P.S. It's good to see more people getting into their characters and asking for descriptions, histories, and info.... of course, I'm not the one who has to sift through legends to find that stuff. :)

Of course not, I'll do that now.

Also...I remembered I had backups. So I can give you a full version of Hustra !

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can I gets a pic of my eldest child? If you have time that is, and yes, the names are good as they come

Well, she's still a two years old, and I already drew her when she was born, she hasn't changed that much. But I can give you her stat sheet :

Spoiler: Ini (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sothro (click to show/hide)

Good to know. Do you mind giving me the detailed character pages for Sas and their father? I'd ask for Enasam's, too, but I don't remember if you can get those for someone who's dead. Also, did you ever actually elaborate on what the function of the knight squad RPwise beyond being the human version of the Fortress Guard?

The knights are basically Ryukan's henchmen. They are a paramilitary strikeforce whose role is to defend the Prince and his family. They are technically not part of the army, altho they fight alongside it ; and they receive their orders from the Prince directly, whereas the rest of the military obeys to Pathril (who technically obeys to the Prince too, but is supposed to be loyal to the common interest rather than just the crown). The knights are limited to ten members and act as a private police force. In effect however there's not much distinction with the army, except - well - they are not soldiers per say.

Old picture of the knight elite, Imic, Bolli and Therset. Since the death of Therset, Bolli became Imic's right hand.

Spoiler: Bolli (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sas (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:40:24 pm by Cathar »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 17, 2017, 03:12:52 pm »

Honestly, as long as we lock up the were every night, they will essentially be harmless right ??? Maybe even useful?

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 17, 2017, 03:15:49 pm »

Wow, information overload. Thanks for all the updates!

Donu is going to have a stern talking to from her mother.
Like others in her culture, she is offended by leisure time and leisurely living,

ironically Donu has the same cultural hatred of liesure time, but I've rationalized it by making her offended when other people take leisure time. She's a selfish bratty 12 year old.

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 21, 2017, 02:04:54 pm »

“It’s NOT fair!” Donu yelled as she slammed the door to her room and jumped onto her bed. The frame creeked and groaned under her weight, but did not break. Donu buried her face in her pillow and began to throw a tantrum before being interrupted by a loud knock on the door to her room.

“Ugggh, what now? I’m sick of praying to Ino, leave me alone.”

There was a loud cracking sound as the lock splintered off the door, and it slammed open, “DONU! You WILL listen when I speak to you!”

Donu froze, and slowly looked up from her bed, “H-hi mom, what are you doing here?”

After seeing the look of absolute horror on her daughter’s face, Hustra sighed, and lowered her voice, “What have I told you about being a nuisance?”

Donu crawled up into a sitting position on the edge of her bed and began to recite the list of nuisances, “I will not pull my siblings’ hair, I will not poke Duslud’s stumps, I will not hide Duslud’s crutch, or his other toys, I will not eat Thur’s food, I will stop being a bad example to Thur, I will not make fun of Kiseabo’s name.” She paused to take a breath, “I didn’t do any of that!”

Hustra bowed her head in shame and sighed, “Donu, you’re an adult now. No one is going to treat you like a child anymore. That means you have to take responsibility for your actions. Just because you aren’t living with your siblings doesn’t mean you can treat people anyway you want.”

“But-“

“No. You can’t make excuses, that’s part of being an adult. You need to start working, get married, and have a family.”

“I don’t like my job, and they keep putting me in military training, even though I’m not a soldier.”

“You may not be a soldier, but you need to know how to handle yourself in a fight. I have been attacked by a Wereskink, and Duslud was maimed by goblin invaders, if you don’t learn to defend yourself, you could end up dead, and although you keep complaining that we are mistreating you, we do love you, and want you to live a long life.”

Donu mumbled something under her breath.

“What did you say.”

Donu stood up, but couldn’t make eye contact with her monther, as she spoke in monotone, “I will be a responsible adult, and stop annoying people.”

“Good, finish up what you are doing here, and then come to the tavern, that’s how adults handle their issues.”

Donu bowed her head in shame as her mother left the room, and closed the door. After Hustra was gone, Donu scampered to her coffer, removed her journal and began writing furiously…..

Ok mom, I'll behave... *wink* *wink*

Donu’s Diary
7th Galena 139

Dear Diary,

People have been really mean to me recently, so I’m designing a plan to keep them from being mad at me, and get more food, and less training, I call it, Operation Donu Is The Best!!! <3 <3 <3   8)  8)  8)

I guess I should go over the problem before I get to the solution. I got sent underground to work with grumpy old Mr. Jalew (zefer’s dad  ::)). You already know about that. All I did was get a little distracted, and now the whole family hates me. Ases crushed a perfectly good apple just to show how mad she was. THEN I get thrown back into military training, and when I complain they sick my mom on me to try to “shape me up.”  :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[

If that’s how they want to play, fine, I’ll play their dumb little game.  ;) I’ll “take responsibility” and help dad in the hospital. I’ll even volunteer to help Duslud walk around. If that doesn’t work, I’ll cry to mom, and get her to take me on as an apprentice woodcutter. Once I’m outside the walls, it should be pretty easy to ditch work.

Now Diary, you may be asking what is to be gained by slacking off outside the walls where it is dangerous. That’s where phase 2 comes into play. I found out that being in the training squad allows me to carry rations or food and drink. So, I will go to the kitchen, stock up on as many rations as I can carry in my backpack, and once I ditch mom outside the walls, or slip away from dad in the hospital, or leave Duslud on his own, I’ll pop open my backpack full of goodies and enjoy a nice snack.  :D :D :D

The hard part will be convincing everyone I am hard at work. Maybe I can convince them to let me work with Mate as a cook’s assistant. I could be the taste tester for his new recipes  :)  :P

It may seem like I’m stuck in a bad spot, but I won’t give up, I’ll find a way to get them off my back, and then I’ll go back to living the life, and enjoying the wonders of Watershield. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Remember to keep this a secret between me and you, Diary.  ;)

Until next time,

Bye Bye                     <3
   :-*

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 21, 2017, 04:08:44 pm »

Oh Donu, I almost hope you succeed you little rascal you, I mean your father is a little unreasonable with insisting you get married but otherwise everyone is being fairly...fair. But uh yeah, uh...stick it to The Man!

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 21, 2017, 04:48:24 pm »

“Good, finish up what you are doing here, and then come to the tavern, that’s how adults handle their issues.”

lol

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 21, 2017, 05:46:59 pm »

Oh Donu, I almost hope you succeed you little rascal you, I mean your father is a little unreasonable with insisting you get married but otherwise everyone is being fairly...fair. But uh yeah, uh...stick it to The Man!

Actually I think Zotho is kind of a bad parent. Hustra the mother is the one who wants her to get married. But hustra is 28 years old with 7 kids.

I think Zotho is so traumatized by the stuff that happened in his youth he expects everyone/thing he loves to die horribly, so he just lets them do whatever makes them happy. He still loves his kids, but isn't necessarily practicing good parenting letting Donu run around doing whatever she wants. Hustra on the other hand wants her children to be safe, and live long productive lives, so she is harsher on Donu.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 21, 2017, 11:08:52 pm »

Muahahahaha! I get a mention in the diary. Crushed a perfectly good apple. I'll crush more than apples next time you fuck up around my dad, twerp. I'll bake you a cake, stick it in front of you, and when you think you're going to get your face pushed in it, I'm just going to pick it up and drop it upside down on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 111