Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236854 times)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #645 on: December 07, 2017, 09:21:03 pm »

Both elves should be released to relay our message to their leaders.

Tode Bosastuxu & Ollin Ubbilibash lost relatives to us and, as such, should be executed to prevent revenge. Somewhat sad, yet nesessary thing to do.

Smunstu Unugsnodub... I'd say she must survive. A skilled bard of some reknown being released and singing tales about our battles afterwards can prove to be both valuable and "good" enemy. Also, we'll show ourselves as kind men of learning, not some unreasonable butchers.

Ϋsbu Omosprut, on the other hand, might spin some bad things about us after we killed her master, but is pretty harmless otherwise.

Grunts are grunts, they have no use and no real anymosity towards us. Should be let out with a "stern warning".
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 07, 2017, 10:46:21 pm »

She's married to another female goblin.

I thought the game was hardcoded so that this was impossible.  Is it a mod, or a change in the game, or a misunderstanding on my part?

She is the author of a song, "It must have been dimensions".

Oh, what a name!  Is there Legends information on artistic creations or no?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 07, 2017, 10:48:50 pm »

She's married to another female goblin.

I thought the game was hardcoded so that this was impossible.  Is it a mod, or a change in the game, or a misunderstanding on my part?

She is the author of a song, "It must have been dimensions".

Oh, what a name!  Is there Legends information on artistic creations or no?

Homosexual marriage doesn't work in  DF? here I thought bay 12 was a fairly liberal company....
or are you saying goblins cannot marry? or something.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 07, 2017, 11:16:24 pm »

A thought that marriage was in an early "just get this mechanic in the game" state.  That is, a single reproducing pair that triggered the "birthing" code; and then, after the family lines were defined (this is a cousin, that is a grandparent, etc.), being monogamous forever even after the death of the partner (meaning no need for more complex language).  So, clearly, very simple and not yet affected by cultural attitudes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:02:33 am by Sir Knight »

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #649 on: December 08, 2017, 04:44:12 am »

In DF, homosexual mariage exists and is not a bug. Most sentient species have a 25% of liking the same sex, 75% of liking the opposite sex, and both can apply in the same time, or none (you can like men but want to marry women, like men and women but want to marry none etc.) Pathril and Idla, for instance, are in a relationship right now. Luki's old boss, Captain Edi Escumi of Brokenbronze, was married to another man. It's rare enough to be noticed, but not rare enough to warrant suspiscion. It's pretty well accepted accross the world.

Edit : Oh, and while I'm at it, what do you think of the idea of building a tavern? It has a lot of pros and cons (of which, the perspective of attracting vampires is among) and I'm very conflicted on the idea. If yes, inside or outside the walls?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:11:06 am by Cathar »

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 08, 2017, 10:08:56 am »

Ah ha, there.  I looked up "marriage" on the wiki and found that it is indeed new as of DF2014 and exactly as you described.  (Definition of "new," of course, is relative in Dwarf Fortress development, but you know what I mean.)  I had been wondering.

As to a tavern: it hadn't occurred to me that the place didn't have one.  Where do people currently take their time off?

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 08, 2017, 10:15:49 am »

Tavern is a must, but it should be outside of the fort, well-stocked and well-defended. Mini-fort and a great place to have some murder FUN!
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #652 on: December 08, 2017, 10:23:46 am »

Usually people spend their time off in the meadhall, at the second top level of the keep, stuffed with tables, chairs food and drinks. Almost like a tavern, except it's...well. Just a gathering /eating place. We could transform it into a tavern by the drop of a hat, but then it would be located in the very heart of the village. Else, when people have free time besides eating and drinking, they go read books at the library or pray to the temple. Those are pretty much the activities available to the idle people.

Alright, so outside wall tavern for travellers so we don't get the village crowded with vampires. Ill need to find a good compromize between the two dangers it represents - vulnerability to goblin attacks, and potential to murder our people.

Edit : About our prisonners, I kinda agree with the suggestions here. Ollin should be put to death, for mentionned reasons and because he was an officer. Tode too, I see no reason for saving her. I like the idea of releasing bards and let them do their magic on their dark pits. This is actually brilliant.
For the elves, I tend to release for now. They already lost some of their buddies, that's punishment enough for attacking, and failing miserably. Tho I'm still angry about the sack of Hairyoracle, I'm not holding that against those two.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 11:51:29 am by Cathar »

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 08, 2017, 01:54:29 pm »

Pros of Owning a Tavern: More historical Visitors, including famous bards/soldiers that could add character to the fort

Cons of Owning a Tavern: Vampires. Also, every time I create a tavern I get too many visitors, and they won't leave, and I must purge them in a very non-rp friendly way. Also it looks like the visitor cap numbers are bugged, so if you build a nice tavern, we could have 30+ new people spamming the fort.

But, I don't have to worry about the actual fort management, so if you think it will be good for the story go ahead and do it.

I approve of the prisoner decisions. Execute the dangerous ones/leaders, let the bards go, etc. If they come back in another wave, we may need to take more extreme measures. Is there an easy way to maime prisoners and then recapture (or release) them? Trap hallway? arrena? Beast pit?
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 08, 2017, 04:39:30 pm »

Probably the same as you'd do for your own people. Mark all but one of their armor items as forbidden, then dump the cage. It SHOULD strip that one article off of them. Then run them across sharp sticks in a repeater trap on the way out.

Agreed on the prisoner question, obviously with the question of whether Ases can do the job on that officer.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #655 on: December 08, 2017, 08:03:52 pm »

To be honest I would rather not maim or torture anyone, that's not something I like to do if there's an alternative. And alternative we have : we have their names, we can just make a registry in case they come back. We'll just keep a book updated as they are released, and if they decide to come back they'll be given cold iron. I don't mind spending some time investigating the prisonners to give them some form of do-process.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 08, 2017, 09:48:05 pm »

Sad that none of the elves are deserving of death, because I had an interesting idea in mind.
Actually, it could still be tried out.
Since the elves of Wulemaapasi have been fucking over our civilization for years, some people would surely be wishing to get some revange of sorts. So let one of the elves go, and build/channel a small arena and put the other elf in that pit with a goblin grunt. Since gobbos tend to be hostile to elves, chances are they'll fight. Whoever wins will go free.
...or they won't try to fight eachother at all and just walk around the arena obliviously. But hey, one can dream.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 09, 2017, 12:37:59 am »

Most likely they'll both try to escape as soon as the cage is released. You'd have to send in people to kill them to get them to do anything else.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #658 on: December 10, 2017, 01:00:49 am »

Winter 139

Music

A lot of things happened this winter, and I feel I can't do justice to everything. Let's cover first of all the menial things ; constructions are going well, the western wall is now practically finished. A road has been made to provide an easy access to the fort for caravans from the capital city, and constructions on the temple complex have resumed, albeit at a reduced speed due to our other focuses.

In the same time, we continued to try and pierce the aquifer. I feel like we're about to succeed, but after two very close calls, with Elder Jalew having to rush to the pumps to prevent drownings, we decided to stop until better mechanization is available. With the help of our dwarven scholars, we'll need to automatize the pumps so our workers can finish the job in safe conditions - our current brute force piercing takes too much time, and puts us at too big of a risk.

There comes the darker stuff. First of all, it appears that a mendate of Prince Ryukan hasn't been completed within due date. After a meeting of the town nobles and elders, it was decided that Xetan, former expedition leader and responsible for organizing the workforce, should be held responsible. I shall not go on in details on how this decision was made - a lot of blame deflections and mutual accusations that would shine a very bad light on our system of governance. Xetan was sentenced to a serie of lashes that were dealt with extreme prejudice and our old friend died of her wounds soon after.

I don't think anybody is satisfied with this resolution, Ryukan certainly isn't.

And there was the Kafek incident...

Before leaving his castle in the southern Land of Confining, lord Cado, the werebeast we slain half a year ago, had spread his curse quite a bit. While most of his spawns has been dealt with, either by humans or goblins, one of them escaped the purges.

His name was Kafek Mawbaldness, and carried Lord Cado's curse after his death. Apparently following his master, he travelled through land and sea and soon arrived at Watershield.

His attack was swift, far swifter than his master's and took us by surprize, as our attention was focused on the aquifer. Zothoabo and his wife Hustra were outside when it happened, and the monster ambushed them promptly. Hustra was bitten several times, before her husband could punch it hard enough to make it fall back.

Zothoabo and Kafek fought several bouts, without any clear winner. Thanks to his military training, the doctor was unscathed and could land a serie of blows on the monster, even cutting his tongue by punching it in the jaw - but the wounds were minor and the monster shown no sign of tiredness. 

Jamila came to his help and bashed the monster on the head with the copper pick she used to dig the aquifer, and the two of them could hold it long enough for the knight to arrive on the scene.

At this point, Kafek was done for. Ostri, a junior from my squad, cut one of his arm, then Ebkusa, a young knight, lopped off his leg and delt him a final blow in quick succession.

That was it for Kafek. However, Hustra was severely bitten, and we had no doubt in our mind she would turn next full moon. Regardless, Zothoabo sealed her wounds to prevent a bleedout.

Containment was now our next move. We had to isolate her from the rest of the citizens to prevent the curse from spreading wildly... and this is easier said than done. Assigning her to a burrow would not cut it - she would cry about her newborn and refuse to move. In despair, my squad came to the hospital and try to drag her off, but she escaped long enough to snag Ino, her last child, before eventually following us reluctantly.

She's now sealed off under the bridge... with her baby in hands. At times like this, I don't know what to do. Left alone, she'll probably kill her child-but intervening further will kill the mother, and probably fail to save the infant.

It's dark times we live in.

As promized, here comes the Legends !
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:11:05 am by Cathar »

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 10, 2017, 01:47:07 am »

Are wet nurses not a thing in DF? aside from the mother turning into a were where is the risk to infant in removing it from her?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 111