Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236413 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #900 on: February 09, 2018, 01:43:26 pm »

I shall also note that Onget, the goblin from the nothern kingdom of Bomreklaltur, share the same mentality as the dwarves, without a lot of variance. She likes pretty much the same things as they do. However, she is far less resiliant to stress than they are, and is far, far more emotional. When the goblin prisonner escaped his jail and was slain in the city, pearlite scholars reported she cried in public, which annoyed a lot of people. She appears very weak to the townfolk, which is a bit strange to us, as we tend to consider goblins as emotionless killers in general.

Onget was very hard to deal with, not out of malice but out of emotional vulnerability, and required a lot of care... but in the end, the general consensus was understanding. She was given a small room in the temple and sheltered from the daily dirty business a border fort has to get done.

oops. When I wrote Onget into the Duslud story she was kind of a dick. It makes her even more interesting and endearing knowing how "weak" she is.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #901 on: February 09, 2018, 01:52:49 pm »

oops. When I wrote Onget into the Duslud story she was kind of a dick. It makes her even more interesting and endearing knowing how "weak" she is.

Oh yeah, it was a wee bit off mark, in great part my fault, but I assume she makes jokes at time. In game she is super super nice. Like FAR too nice for a place like Watershield. But it was good writing so it's good for me :D

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 09, 2018, 02:22:28 pm »

Good old libraries.  I like zooming in on this one.  Discarded wearables in the middle of the floor, pools of blood of varying sizes, loose barnyard animals.  Yup: this is Dwarf Fortress

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #903 on: February 09, 2018, 02:25:40 pm »

"Excuse me, this is no way to treat respectable scholars, me and sir Bunny here are rightfully offended" -Philosopher Horse

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 09, 2018, 02:30:38 pm »

There are two people there who are wearing socks, shoes, shirts, cloaks, hoods, and everything else, but no trousers.
I think that in the next fort started, we'll need to get a dedicated cleaner. No animal should be treated to having to endure human filth for so long.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #905 on: February 09, 2018, 02:46:35 pm »

Well... It was my attempt at making skirts, hoping they would wear them in addition to the robe. I regretted that choice dearly. Let's say those are manly skirts, like antique qilts. Gotta go show off those leg muscles
For the filth...well... to our defense this is a battle fort, not a five star palace, but you're right. Next place will be made more tidy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:49:16 pm by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: February 09, 2018, 02:57:54 pm »

Well they're very short flipping skirts.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #907 on: February 13, 2018, 06:13:54 pm »

Yo guys, apologizes for not having posted yet. Week is going crazy (half capacity at work) and the wedding picture  is a bit work intensive. By the way, maybe it would be more fitting to get the wedding on the bridge instead of in front of the walls? What do you think?

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: February 14, 2018, 05:40:17 pm »

I'm 80% done with the wedding story. I had it take place inside the tavern, but I also made it a bit of a wrap up and tried to include all the named characters. I don't know if you want to draw all that. I trust your artistic vision to make it look awesome no matter where it is.

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #909 on: February 14, 2018, 05:57:31 pm »

I eeehm....am actually done with the wedding picture, and I thought I'd do it better. Your trust is misplaced I fear :(

BUT I do hope this is not the last time we hear about Donu, her new husband and their friends. I am almost positive we'll meet them again, even if they are not the main focus of the story anymore. I'm redacting the real, final, true endpost that will mark the end of Watershield's era as we speak :D

But I'll wait for you to post it of course

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: February 15, 2018, 05:31:50 pm »

Here it is. It's not perfect, but i'd rather get it up so we can do the adventure game instead of trying to edit it over and over again. enjoy.

The smells of Mate’s cooking filled the meeting hall of Watershields. The Hall was at its usual level of rowdiness, but there was an air dignity to the affair. Amongst the revelers could be found Prince Ryukan and his wife Cemir chatting gleefully with various craftsmen and artisans from the fort. Commander Pathril was standing on a table amidst a throng of soldiers and knights chanting a new drinking song that combined the most popular song in Mong Kima with a list of exploits performed by the Riverguard. Thrathnu stood off to the side with his wife Uquur, admiring the next generation he had trained for the future. At the opposite corner stood Ases, grumbling to herself (or her sword) and sipping on a rather potent batch of Sewer Brew. Digo stood uncomfortably with the rest of his family, deviously eying a small rat which had snuck into the building. The Zothoabo and Jalew clans made up a massive crowd in the center of the Hall. Sirris and Duslud stood on the edge of the gathering, sharing a mug of Prickleberry Wine. The centerpiece of the celebration was a bronze statue of three goblins, the enchanted remains of Odlug the Kingslaying Colossus.

The feast was as much a victory celebration as it was a marriage, even so, Donu was nervous. The priestesses had taken Hustra’s finest dress and each added their own designs and enhancements to it. Donu felt a bit weird wearing her mother’s dress, but it was a superb piece of craftsmanship and she couldn’t turn down the other priestesses after their hard work.

After she finished getting ready, she sat down to wait for the ceremony to begin. Sitting didn’t calm her nerves, and she didn’t last long before she got up and began pacing, before deciding to sneak over and see how Zefer was doing. She barged her way past the two members of his ranger squad guarding the door and leapt into his arms. “Hey Zefer, I’m bored. How about we skip out on the ceremony and elope.”

After hugging his wife to be, Zefer responded, “Is that really what you want?”

“No,” She leaned in to kiss Zefer while simultaneously reaching around him to grab at the bottle of strawberry wine he had stashed on the desk behind him, “I just want to get this over with. The waiting is killing me.”

“For a priestess, you’re not a big fan of ceremony.”

“It feels like my entire life is ceremony. Sometimes I want some action!”

Zefer smiled, “There will be plenty of action tonight.”

Donu took another swig from her wine bottle, then put it back on the desk and picked up a broom resting against the corner of the room, “I want action now, En Garde!”

Zefer rolled under her strike, and grabbed a nearby stool to use as a shield. “What’s gotten into you?” He took up a defensive stance, “never mind, this is pretty normal for you.”

Donu brandished her broom menacingly and twirled the weapon in her hand in preparation for her next attack. “Let’s see which is better, my sword… er…. broomsmanship, or your stool mastery?”

Zefer had fought many fierce opponents. He had mastered the sword and shield, as well as his own body. There were few who could match him in single combat. What he forgot was that Donu trained with him from a young age, and knew all his weaknesses, and he didn’t have his sword today. If anyone else was in the room they would have a told a tale of one of the greatest battles of Watershields. The Broom vs. The Chair, a rivalry as old as wood crafting itself.

Donu and Zefer circled the room, exchanging attacks. Neither could land a solid blow on the other as each strike was parried or dodged. After a minute of intense combat, Donu feinted with her broom and shoulder charged Zefer, knocking him to the ground. She stood over him and kicked the stool out of his hands. “Yet again, Donu the Great is victorious!” she said, then pounced on his chest the two began kissing like the young lovers they were.

Not to be outdone, Zefer rolled Donu over so he was on top, and ended the kiss by giving her a peck on the nose. “I claim this victory for Watershields.” Donu began to put up a struggle to contest his victory, but was interrupted by a knock at the door.

Jalew’s rough voice accompanied the loud knocks, “You two almost ready? The wedding’s about to start.”

Zefer jumped off the ground and helped Donu to her feet. “Yes sir, we’ll be out in a minute.” He quickly readjusted his bronze breastplate, and did his best to brush the dust off his fine leather garments while Donu tried to pat clean her dress.

After taking a moment to calm her heavy breathing, and double check her dress for obvious marks, she turned to Zefer, “Are you ready for this?”

He gave an exaggerated bow, “Lead me to glory and death.”

She nodded in acknowledgement, then took his hand and marched out of the room to the meeting hall where the wedding ceremony was to take place.

When the couple arrived at the meeting hall the crowd was split into two sides, with a large aisle down the center. The already drunk crowd burst into rambunctious applause as soon as the couple emerged. As they walked past, handfuls of rice and small seeds were thrown into the aisle as a blessing to Ino, the goddess of harvest.

Because Zothoabo and Zefer both hold high status in Watershields, Prince Ryukan officiated the wedding. He began with some remarks on how far each of them had come since their early days in the fort, reminiscing about Zefer’s strength and energy as a young lad, and joking about Donu’s love of food, along with the time she petitioned him to hold a holiday called “Donu’s Day” where the members of the fort would make food for her. He spoke briefly about the kingdom and the importance of this marriage, then let the families give their blessings before the ring ceremony.

Thrathnu gave a short speech about hard work paying off, then Zothoabo stepped forward to give a speech about his daughter. “I’m sure you’ve all heard my tales of woe. Tales of the Splattered Assault where the elves massacred the members of Mong Kima like cattle.”

His Speech was interrupted from an anonymous voice in the crowd, “We’ve all heard this story before, get on with it!”

Zothoabo cleared his throat, “My point is, we had a tough life before. I moved here with hope that I would find a better life. At the time I thought it was a foolish hope, ‘maybe the elves will ambush our small fort,’ I mused, ‘the overseer can’t have prepared for every eventuality,’ I told myself. Despite my second thoughts, I did move, and I took up the position of Diagnoser at the small outpost called Watershields. I made this place my home with the hope that I would be able to give my family a good life. I stand here today, at the wedding of my eldest daughter Donu, in celebration of our greatest victory and I can say I have never been happier.”

After wiping a tear from his eye, he raised his cup to toast, “To Donu and Zefer, may you live long and fruitful lives. Long Live The Riverguard!”

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #911 on: February 15, 2018, 05:50:21 pm »

This is absolutly perfect. There's so much of the fort's soul going on in this text. I can't promise to illustrate it right away, but when I get a bit more time I will. Zefer and Donu embody more of Watershield's spirit than I thought - I hope their future will be bright and fruitful. Give me an hour and I'll set up everything for next chapter

I'm always a bit surprized that people actually read and are interested in the stories and settings I'm trying to set up, and having texts like that feels like what I want to do is understood to a quite deep level. I'm sure I sound like a broken record at this point

And so, in summer of the year 142, Zefer and Donu were married, uniting Jalew's and Zothoabo's clans by blood. The party kept on for the whole night. It wasn't then question of war or labor - for once in the border fort, everyone made merry and drank together, without thinking about the hardships of tomorrow.

They would come on their own soon enough - and there would be plenty of time to work to overcome then.

Summary

The story of the Riverguard covers the period that goes from winter 130 to summer 142.
At the order of the pearlite royal court, a small border fort was founded to the east of the kingdom, to stop elven incursions into human territory.
However, elves were found to be nothing but a very minor threat compared to roaming wildlife and to the werebeasts that flocked to it.

A first contact with the Empire of Osme was made in year 132, when a goblin thief was scared off by the militia. The situation escaladed quickly, with a first goblin raid in 133.

The Riverguard managed to arm itself up and repelled Osme's incursions ever increasing in size, culminating into a full all-out assault in 136, repelled at great cost.

The attacks continued, but the Riverguard could rise up to every one of them, developping tactics and battle doctrines, forging weapons and armor and training their population to match their enemies, ever increasing in numbers. In total, eleven attacks were fought off.

Odlug the dominant scar, the regicide bronze colossus, was eventually sighted, captured and eventually destroyed.

To this day, Watershield marks the border of the civilized world with the lands of the demon king Lomoth.

So, before we do another big embark (and we will o/), as discussed, I want to do something more chill and share my toys a bit. So right now is the right time to open a new chapter in the history of Mong Kima

Even tho the construction of Watershield could insure, at least for a time, the security and demographic growth of the kingdom even in the face of rising foes, it also revealed a number of issues and opportunity for glory.

In a time before time, Onget Cattenatag, our resident goblin, wrote a serie of books which are, today, considered to be the founding stone of medecine. Those books have a tremendous value, and not only because they are decorated with precious gems, not only because of their historical value, but because their content can save lives.

They were stored in the fortress of Ironweather, whose status is unknown, but likely in ruins. It was destroyed by Cim, a forgotten beast made of filth, whose breath can kill a man.

This mission can seem pretty straightforward. Go to Ironweather, find the books, come back to Watershield and store them into safety. However, the road to Ironweather is uncharted for the most part, we know nothing about it , but it is covered in snow and ice doesn't melt. The road is dangerous, the city is dangerous too. Don't go there alone, and be prepared for the worst.

Take your time to prepare yourself ; those books have been sleeping for hundred years, they can wait a few more weeks. If you need companions, you can find groups of outlaws in most of the big cities, like Sealspear or Hairyoracle, if you know where to look for. Most of them will accept to work as mercenaries, and they are decent fighters. We have a couple of blades for hire, that move in and out of Watershield, and there are armies of them in Brokenbronze, if you don't mind a little trip by foot. Just...don't travel alone by night.

And if you need some natch on your belt ; here's an easy way. The Osme pits to the east are filled to the brim with captured children of Egapesor and Kodsåkzul. Freeing them is a very straighforward way to acquire death, glory or both.

Oh and, last thing. Watershield recruits strong warriors, if their name is famed. We're an elite organization, so we take only the best of the best. But there are other lords around with lower standards. If you're looking for employment, don't hesitate to ask them.

Last notes on the game :

• Remember this is a story driven thread. You're the master of your own destiny but please make it a cool story and not just hack and slash :D
• No Demigod please. Hero is my standard, Peasant if you're hardcore
• Take a lot, a lot of screenshots. Stonesense or (if your computer can stomach it) armok vision are the best (thanks japa o/). If you can use the dfhack "markdown" command on important characters in addition, it would help me to illustrate them. Else, a screenshot of their description in game is cool too
• If you want to specify stuff on your character, especially physical traits not covered by description, do it, it helps me to draw it as I understand it better
• If you want to create a character that is not from Mong Kima, this is possible (tho not recommended for now, until we progress a bit more in the story). But I have one, single requirement : Your character must be drafted from a local population.
Basically it means that :

This is important to keep Pearlites looking like Pearlites, Pinalene elves looking like Pinalene elves etc.
• And for the turns, standard procedure if no one has an objection : register for a turn, play a RL week, retire your character, pass on the save. We have more than enough things to do for multiple (semi) simultaneous adventurers

The save

I'll update the OP tomorrow o/

Bonus current head of Mong Kima

Queen Usu, General Ener
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:14:25 pm by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 16, 2018, 02:33:33 am »

I think that was wonderful. It was a beutiful piece of art, and a wonderful story. I can't wait to see the next story to take place.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #913 on: February 16, 2018, 05:07:06 am »

Alright guys, turn list open, OP modified. We're all set and ready to go ! Please re-apply if you're still interested.
For the sake of keeping the story going somehow, if the turn order is still empty by sunday, I'll wabble around a bit with Luki, but I'm far more excited by the idea of sharing my toys with you people o/

Edit also while I'm at it

Bam, new logo
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:06:51 am by Cathar »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #914 on: February 16, 2018, 06:49:53 am »

Count me in.  What DF version is this?
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 111