Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 236323 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1080 on: October 18, 2018, 09:43:45 am »

"That dog kept barking at me, so I did the only sensible thing to do, I punched it in the throat and watched it suffocate.  After that I totally passed out."

Ah, classic Dwarf Fortress adventuring companions.

Nice artwork as always, and glad to see some progress being made in the story and overall worldbuilding.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1081 on: October 18, 2018, 10:07:00 am »

I was overwhelmed by terror when it happened. I'm like "I'm surrounded by the head of the state, including one who can kill 20 goblins in full armor without breaking a sweat, if they decide to kill me I'll just lie there and wait for my fate"

Why did anything happened I have legit no idea

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 19, 2018, 05:11:07 am »

Your art never ceases to amaze me, Cathar! I thought it was amazing when you started Mong Kima, and you've only improved since then. Bravo!

How has Leman been doing?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1083 on: October 19, 2018, 10:07:08 am »

For Uncle Lemann, he's now 55 years old, and he's still the supply officer of the Riverguard. He spends most of his time with other nobles, but also with the common folk.
He's now a friend of Lastret the scribe, Elder Jalew and Prince Ryukan, and is extremely popular among farmers.

I will unretire the fort for an extremely short period of time because there are some stuff that need fixing (soldiers will not equip artefact weapons and I need the fort to be able to defend itself) so if you need anything to be done, please say so

Also thanks a lot for your compliments. I'm very happy you enjoyed my little stories. I'll continue to improve for sure !

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 20, 2018, 02:13:17 am »

So . . . much . . . detail!  I'd seen all the detail you put into armor and hair and stuff, but the sheer number of beard braids and clothing wrinkles in these panels . . . wow.  You could do less and it would still be amazing, you know.

And it was a good read, with mysterious dog murder to boot.

let me know if anything happens with Zothoabo or the surviving members of his family. Loving the comic so far.

Well, Donu started to travel, Duslud married, Zhoto is still trying to heal people. And we're bringing a wounded dwarf so he'll appear for sure. Nothing of note really happened, but as soon as some does, I'll tell you for sure

Oh, that's right, fort life continues in detail (more than it used to) while the player is away adventuring!  Has Dengusa, I dunno, developed a line of masterwork metal toys?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1085 on: October 20, 2018, 06:57:24 am »

For the dog murder, I think this has something to do with Mong Kima and Desor Uzol being at war. The dog was technically a soldier (pikeman even, DF is just like that) and since it could not talk, I believe he attacked Erith. Due to... Well I don't know. This is a wild guess but it may have something to do with that.

As for Dengusa, I'm afraid his line of toys will have to wait, as the Riverguard needs his talents to produce weapons of war. However two things about him :

• I really hope he'll migrate to the next fort, because training a smith is really expensive, and I like the character
• If it's not obvious by now, every sub-chapter is focused on one companion of Islas. And the next in line happens to be Dengusa's little brother. So, story time involving his family soon !

On an unrelated note, I checked out other webcomic about DF... and most of them seem to stop around page 6 to 20. We're around 300 as it stands. I believe we're breaking some kind of record. I think Likot's story has even more, but number two is fine by me.

And for details...well. There's not two ways about it ; if I want to improve I need to push myself, and this comic is meant to do just that, so the next fort will be all around better than Watershield :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 06:59:32 am by Cathar »

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 20, 2018, 10:21:24 pm »

As for Dengusa, I'm afraid his line of toys will have to wait, as the Riverguard needs his talents to produce weapons of war. However two things about him :

• I really hope he'll migrate to the next fort, because training a smith is really expensive, and I like the character
• If it's not obvious by now, every sub-chapter is focused on one companion of Islas. And the next in line happens to be Dengusa's little brother. So, story time involving his family soon !

Aww, family time!  I had checked and was reminded that the younger siblings are Uzu (swordman), Enthep, Are, and Issha.  I can't remember if we ever saw them do anything before, but Uzu already having military training is a good sign.  I look forward to it!  (Erm, whenever you have the time to draw your massively-detailed comicbook-level updates.)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1087 on: February 28, 2019, 10:18:14 pm »

Spoiler: About my inactivity (click to show/hide)

Since we left Thomocemir, nothing much has changed. The copper fortress still stands, manned by its knights, between the Empire of Osme and the Kingdom of Kima, and this is where we're taking our story.

Before joining the fort of Thomocemir, Imic has been a soldier in Tetzobsha, between the year 130 and 133, where he was part of the First Reserve Regiment, under the supervision of sir Edi Escumi. That same Edi would be at the origin of a campaign of repression of banditism around this period - that is when he met a very young Islas for the first time, under very unfavourable circumstances.

Days past, then weeks. Soon, winter arrived. The microclimate in the enchanted swamp made so temperature never really go down ; water do not freeze and it almost never snows. Winter in Thomocemir would be very soft, if not for the almost constant rain.

I'll add a little map here a bit later ; Bugikawe is a lakeside city, located one walking day to the north of Thomocemir. It is technically not part of the kingdom of Kima, however, Sula, the blue-haired kid, was married to a foreign girl of noble blood, and decided to move at her place. However, Sula himself was a poor soul and had to rely on charity to travel from place to place.

Twilight monsters are night creatures, usually living far north. Despite having no skin whatsoever, they seem to prefer cold climates. Onol - that was the name of this particular one - moved south with the winter in order to hunt.

Onol was older than recorded history. He once was a dwarf from Bomrek-Laltur, northern dwarven kingdom uncharacteristically accepting of goblins, where he was working as a humble fisherman. One day, in year 2 of our calendar, he was captured by a twilight monster, and transformed into the monster he is now. For more than 140 years, Onol would hunt and scavenge the nothern frozen wastes in search of preys to feed his new monstruous, and always expending family. It is unknown if the monster kept memories of his former life -but what we know is that, in winter 142, he was finally liberated from his curse.

Ato was a foreign lady of Amegil ethnicity. Altho they look like pearlites at first glance, their eyes have deeper colors - the kingdom of Amegil is renowned, among other things, for their use of giant wrens as mounts for warfare. They kingdom is located at the northeast of Mong Kima, and extends to the frozen wastelands.

Xaki, the other lady, was unmistakably a denizen of Dencothgil, another northern kingdom. While not much is know about them, they only travel deep south to sell their talents as fighters, fighting especially elves wherever they have the chance. Over the time, this tradition gave them a solid reputation of elf hunters - as most Dencothi met in those part of the world fit that description. More research on Dencothgil and its denizen is warranted.

And as soon as the snowstorm would stop, the group would be on the road again, travelling westward to the borderfort of Tetzobsha

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: March 01, 2019, 06:29:41 am »

Bravo!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: March 01, 2019, 06:19:05 pm »

Epic update Cathar!
Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 01, 2019, 11:32:36 pm »

Dengusa!  Hooray!  And am I seeing things, or is the workspace made out of green glass?  It looks like some incredible sci-fi setup, especially with the colored flames.  It's either that or magic.  I must thank you repeatedly for drawing in my character.  (Thank you, thank you, thank you.)

I looked up what had been said about Uzu before.  Seems to be some gender confusion across the history of posts.  Well, that works.

Also, let me note again how amazing the art is.  I'd say you are taking the necessary time to create what you want to create; it doesn't seem slow (for 25-or-so pages).  I'm noticing an increased prevalence of broad cloaks; is that intentional and based on context, or are you perhaps shifting over time toward drawing characters as filling more horizontal space?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1091 on: March 03, 2019, 03:32:08 am »

I'm glad there are people who still read my idioties ^^ Thank you guys for reading.
As for the green stuff, it is indeed green glass. Because when I build Thomocemir with an pierce proof aquifer, glass was my poor man's stone... I have no idea how they can build structures and workshops out of glass, but those are the laws of physics in DF so I'm depicting them as such.

For the blue flames, that's real world chemistry however. Incandescent copper makes blue flames. Blue (and green) fireworks are made of copper compounds to this day.

For Uzu, he's a 12 years old boy that is 100% sure, but there may be some confusion with another character of similar name, Queen Usu, ruler of Mong Kima. Maybe that's where the confusion stems from?

And lastly, for the cloacks, that's some DF stuff. When I was playing in fort mode, soldiers where wearing armors and nothing else, but after retiring the fort, they decided to incorporate some cloth into their gear, mostly hoods and cloacks

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 21, 2019, 03:23:06 am »

A PTW, even if I haven't read through everything. God damn though, just from the last bit there, it's pretty impressive (bits of odd speech not withstanding.)

And for the love of all that is holy Cathar, it's "cloak" not "cloack"

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1093 on: March 21, 2019, 10:37:18 pm »

A cloack is...ehm...a Mong Kima specific garment. It's like a normal cloak but with an additional "c" in its name

<_<

Glad to see you here tho ^^ We're nearly done with that comic. I'm a bit excited to start the next fortress

Nautilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 29, 2019, 03:11:24 pm »

I have spent the last few days  reading through this thread, can I get dorfed into the next fortress?
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 111