Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 230654 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1335 on: June 04, 2020, 12:49:32 am »

Still at Thomocemir, mostly repelling Desor Uzol attacks... but those are a bit underwhelming compared to Osme's steamrolling army

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 04, 2020, 01:14:47 am »

Ah-hm. A steamrolling army... your men might have stood a chance, if their gear hadn't been so lacking. I've an idea to offer.

Roll up a new adventurer: a gutter rat with an ear for rumors. He/she catches wind of the fate of Kimeaslo Ori, maybe heads over to poke about the ruins... and comes to a conclusion.

By hook or by crook, Mong Kima must obtain a reserve of dwarfish steel. Even ten, twenty bars would do: enough material for a brace of blades, fit to shear the armor of the enemy. Who better for the task than the quick-tongued, light-fingered child of a city sewer?

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:16:29 am by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1337 on: June 04, 2020, 01:20:50 am »

I actually like the idea. I'll let things rest for a moment, then we'll roll an adventurer. Maybe we can do that collectively ?
Dwarven steel, clearly would help us a lot.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 04, 2020, 05:06:25 am »

And thus, it finally happens. Lack of equipment seems to always be the largest hurdle for the humans I notice (while the other place had fully armored troops, few had better than copper, and it seems most fighting men here were lucky to have more than a helmet and weapon.) Never enough metal available to fully armor a defense force with anything decent to deflect bites and the iron and bronze weapons goblins often bring.

I'd propose if things are kept going here, a "hidden forge" being established somewhere with access to good supplies of metal (preferably iron,) and after arming and armoring its security force, beginning the export of weapons and armor to better equip Pearlite troops to face the encroaching Osmites. Course it can only stay secret for so long and trouble will almost inevitably come I wager.

Dwarven steel, clearly would help us a lot.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, cause there appears to never be mention of dwarven caravans ever visiting, don't forget to add progress triggers to the entity file. They do apply retroactively, but without them dwarves will never visit a non-dwarf settlement, and fighting them for it is a losing prospect. I've had to fight steel-armored dwarves before with poor quality copper and bronze and it's uh... not a pleasant experience. At all.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1339 on: June 04, 2020, 07:26:26 am »

Can you describe in precise terms the process to make the dwarves visit? I don't like to alter the files, but if you insure me it's safe and guide me through the process, why not.
As for war with the dwarves...we're already in it. Desor Uzol are attacking Thomocemir a couple time but were rebuffed - and their officers are still in Thomocemir's prison.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 04, 2020, 08:06:57 am »

Can you describe in precise terms the process to make the dwarves visit? I don't like to alter the files, but if you insure me it's safe and guide me through the process, why not.
As for war with the dwarves...we're already in it. Desor Uzol are attacking Thomocemir a couple time but were rebuffed - and their officers are still in Thomocemir's prison.

You've had better luck than me then, but from what I remember the troops there aren't exactly slouches so skill, size, and lack of mounts (usually, but not always,) may be making up for equipment deficiencies. That being said it's still a less cost-effective means of gathering steel since you aren't exactly gonna be getting solid suits of steel armor to recycle.

As to the progress triggers, we'll use the elves.
Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1] - These first three dictate when they come to trade. Trigger 1 is very low, like 20 people and only a few thousand in wealth creation or exports.
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3] - These three dictate when they might come to attack you if you wrong them or they declare war on their own. 3 is basically the standard for some enemies, as trigger 3 is for an equivalence of 80 dudes living somewhere, though I dunno if it's 80 adults or 80 people in general.
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]

I only remember the triggers being 1 - 20, 2 - 50, and 3 - 80 for population equivalence. The wiki should have better information, but I remember a long time ago while playing as humans wondering why dwarves never visited.

So I popped the triggers into dwarf entity stuff when I noticed they weren't present on a whim and lo and behold, they arrived the following year to trade since now the game was telling them they could.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1341 on: June 04, 2020, 09:27:04 am »

Alright. That is done. Next time we embark, we will trade with the local dwarves, and hopefully they won't be those we're at war with.

I still have the cover to do, and my turn to write on Museum III, and after that, we'll embark as an adventurer. I'll try to give it a cyoa theme, and we'll look for steel and artefacts

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 04, 2020, 05:53:02 pm »

Bravo!  A suitably over-the-top dramatic ending for a quiet little fort in the middle of nowhere!  Pity we lost everyone we ever loved, but that's devastation for you.

I support adventuring.  Adventuring is fun and story-filled.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1343 on: June 05, 2020, 09:57:36 am »

So we're adventuring, alright ! I have still some obligations to fullfill, but while I do that, feel free to propose /expand on the adventurer concept. Stuff like... profession, weapon of choice, gender, nationality/ethnicity if they are not pearlite, etc. Also, going by the museum rules - would you go for one hero and recruit allies along the way, or multiple peasants?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1344 on: September 24, 2020, 11:41:04 am »

Long time overdue, but we're ready to go. Unlike the previous adventurer threads, tho, we'll follow the adventurer as the adventure occurs, instead of afterward. I'll also take advices and directions. Our main goal is to reach the northern kingdom of Bomrek Laltur and come back with steel. Side quests will or not come and will or not be completed.

The state of affairs

The destruction of Kimaeslo Ori came at a shock for the whole kingdom. Not only because of its outrageous death toll, but also because it was the first time the Osmite Empire managed to carve a dent into the defenses of Mong Kima. As the news spread quickly into the small kingdom, it sent its populaton in a state of terror, and throughout the land people panicked - if Osme could capture the bridge, they could now effectively strike the whole land. Nobody was safe anymore - and now, the western settlements were not only threatened by the elves of west, but also by the goblins of the east. Something has to be done and the window of opportunity is closing soon.

A note about Asuciro

Located on the eastern shore of the interior sea, Asuciro has been the capitale city of Mong Kima since the destruction of the old capitale, Apsongberu, in year 104 par Odlug, the Dominant Scar, the golem of bronze.

It is an otherwise unremarkable village, half abandonned, whose population is extremely poor and survives on hunting with an embryonic agriculture focused mostly on common berries. The queen and her court hide in Asuciro to avoid detection by enemy armies, so even in defeat, the continuity of power is kept. While this is not the most glorious way to come about in war, surely it was effective until now.
Asuciro has no army and bears no flag. Its defensive force is composed exclusively of its nobility - the queen herself, Ener the great general, Uquur, guildmistress, lady Dilol, owner of the castle, her heartcaptain and personal commander. Should Osme discover that location, it would be the end of the dynasty.

Kashi Zegaetus, clerk of Asuciro

Because Asuciro has no army besides people it has to keep close, Ener went to see a man by the name of Kashi. Kashi was a small public scribe who knew a bit about the sword but could otherwise be disposed of. Ener didn't really believed in the mission, but trusted the young man enough to know he wouldn't start another war with Bomrek-Laltur - as he was of a soft temperament and good education.

Kashi accepted the mission immediately - not too much out of patriotism, but because a lot of the people slaughtered in Kimaeslo Ori were his childhood friends. It was, he believed, his chance to get back at Osme as he could - by establishing an alliance with the northern dwarves and stengthening the kingdom, such as these atrocities will not happen again.

Kashi Zegaetus   

"I have improved my tracking.  I am very  satisfied."
He feels satisfied upon improving  tracking.  He feels satisfied upon improving swimming.   He feels satisfied upon improving ambush.  He feels  satisfied at work. 

He is a  citizen of The Nation of Pearls.  He is a member of The Fellowship of  Keepers. 

His straight sparse hair is extremely  long.  His nose bridge is very convex.  He has high cheekbones.  His  slightly upturned nose is extremely narrow.  His ears are extremely tall.   His lips are very thin.  His head is somewhat broad.  His hair is russet.   His skin is pale taupe.  His eyes are ecru. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is the 19th of september 149.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:53:29 am by Cathar »

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: September 24, 2020, 05:43:59 pm »

IT'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!

Your art is absolute eyecandy, Cathar!
'He is an optimist' - i already like him.

Is it actually possible ingame to create alliances between your and other civilizations as an adventurer?
Or is that going to be more of a roleplaying thing? (as in; the goal is just to reach said place alive/ have a dwarven smith join you and brought back, and then just change the raws to make steel avaiable for your race? is that even possible post-gen?)

In any case: Looking forward to it! : )

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: September 24, 2020, 05:54:55 pm »

enjoyable read as always

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1347 on: September 25, 2020, 04:22:22 pm »

Flame : Thanks a lot, trying to get back to it after a big hiatus is hard

Hakuryu : Oh why, it's a roleplay thing, alliances don't exist per say in the game. But trading agreement do, and with Splint, we worked out a way to commerce with dwarves, so that'll be the theme of our adventure before we take the bridge back

Not to spoiler too much, but we put our grubby hands on a priceless dragon bone bracelet that belonged to Luki, and I want to name it. Do anyone have a good idea of a name for the artefact?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: September 25, 2020, 04:43:35 pm »

Uhh hm. "Gloryclasp"? "The Memory of Infernos"?

Or something more relevant to the circumstances surrounding the dragonkilling. I ain't really familiar with the details.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: September 25, 2020, 05:00:00 pm »

"Stabscale the Conquest of Bronze" because stabbing dragons and shiny bronze (copper?) armor we always had in Mong Kima. Its the most memorable across the place, imho.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 111