Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Rebel Crusader - A new tactical turn based strategy game under development  (Read 3770 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

Hi Rebel, this looks like a pretty good game and is upsetting close to a "unique" idea that I'd come up with :P

With your unique soldiers, it reminds me of "Battle for Wesnoth". There you can hire a bunch of spearman, who all have the same basic kit and skills, but each one has a couple of traits (such as strong or quick) that differentiates them from the rest. It also has tiers of soldiers that get promoted with enough xp. That might be something you'd want to have a look at for inspiration.

Rebel Crusader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh, i just thought of something nice. You could have gun upgrades such as auto-aiming scopes and other aids, but with higher XP for misses then there would be a more advanced meta-game here.

e.g. if near misses give the most xp, then the "auto-aiming scope" upgrade would help rookies get familiar with the weapon quicker and be more useful in the short term, but it would end up slowing down their rate of learning. At some point they'd learn faster by removing the auto-aim scope and "using the force" so to speak, at the cost of some accuracy. There could be a base character such as "weapons instructor" who could advise you on exactly when it's a good idea to switch. Once the troop then truly mastered the weapon, they might be advised to use the auto-aim again, because it reduces errors.

The reason this would work is because we avoided positive-feedback loops. In the scenario where only hits/kills gain XP then you'd want to load all gear on everyone and give them all the best guns, there's no room in that scenario for the guy who trained up with only a basic rifle and got really good because he didn't have all the flash targeting systems to help him.

That is pretty cool, but it would force me to redesign it's current mechanics. Nonetheless, I seek to expand RC once the basics are in place. Everyone here has been extremely helpful and your ideas and notions of game design are top notch!

Rebel Crusader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi Rebel, this looks like a pretty good game and is upsetting close to a "unique" idea that I'd come up with :P

With your unique soldiers, it reminds me of "Battle for Wesnoth". There you can hire a bunch of spearman, who all have the same basic kit and skills, but each one has a couple of traits (such as strong or quick) that differentiates them from the rest. It also has tiers of soldiers that get promoted with enough xp. That might be something you'd want to have a look at for inspiration.

Thank you for the feedback! I've played Battle for Wesnoth long ago (10 years?) I'm not sure if it evolved that much since then but yeah, the unique soldier feature is something I look forward to implement. Thank you for reminding me of the game.

So, you're also brewing something like RC? We need more TBS games :)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

Indeed, although it's very much a pipe dream at the moment. A full time job plus being a serial procrastinator means I never really get anything done :p

What are your plans for handling "cover"? Will it be like new X-Com, where a soldier has to be physically adjacent for it to do anything, or more like the original X-Com, where you happen to have scenery in the way?

Rebel Crusader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What are your plans for handling "cover"? Will it be like new X-Com, where a soldier has to be physically adjacent for it to do anything, or more like the original X-Com, where you happen to have scenery in the way?

It will be more like the original X-Com, however, you will be able to control your "signature" size depending on the model you choose to move your unit:

I'm still working on the names and GFX but it is something like: Sneak, walk & run.

Sneak:
You move in a lower stance exposing only 50% of your body's signature. Since you also move slower, the unit may pass in front of an enemy without being noticed (depending on range). The drawback is that each step costs 200% the AP and a 200% more stamina.

Walking:
Your body is exposed to full signature; your AP and stamina cost is 100%.

Run:
Your body is less exposed, 75%; your AP cost is 50% but stamina draining is increased by 400%.

These 3 actions are only usable by human soldiers and androids, robots will just walk and / or run (I'm still deciding about it).

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:55:51 pm by Rebel Crusader »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I really like the idea of unique soldiers that come along, however I'd say that doesn't preclude having configuring your troops.

One way of tackling unique units is that Arnie Stalone could come along with 'Arnies minigun' which only he can use as well as being very strong and not setting off heat detectors. You can swap out his gun/extra kit if you want, but no one else would be able to use his minigun. This allows his gear to be unique, but allows you to configure your squad.

I don't really think it matters how you do it - just as long as you allow the player to have control over their units. From the sounds of how you're doing things, I'd just give them full control of the load out and allow them to upgrade weapons and kit with their mission gains. Just make it so that any upgrades stay for that item type - so if you upgrade a machine gun to +5 accuracy, all machine guns that you give to your troops will have +5 accuracy.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Rebel Crusader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One way of tackling unique units is that Arnie Stalone could come along with 'Arnies minigun' which only he can use as well as being very strong and not setting off heat detectors. You can swap out his gun/extra kit if you want, but no one else would be able to use his minigun. This allows his gear to be unique, but allows you to configure your squad.

I don't really think it matters how you do it - just as long as you allow the player to have control over their units. From the sounds of how you're doing things, I'd just give them full control of the load out and allow them to upgrade weapons and kit with their mission gains. Just make it so that any upgrades stay for that item type - so if you upgrade a machine gun to +5 accuracy, all machine guns that you give to your troops will have +5 accuracy.

I see what you mean, but again, the minute you have control over the units' inventory you no longer feel that much compelled looking for new units to hire since you can "build" them yourself. I believe unit uniqueness is not compatible with full arming control.

Another thing I truly want to avoid is making items bound to specific units. I want every unity to be able to use any item at any time. Units' skills are the one factor that will decide how effectively items can be used, if used at all, like some medical equipment. So, Arnie was just killed but you can still pick up his weapon and use it.

I want players to look forward browsing the Hiring Market to see what's new. From a realistic view, all your units are freelancers and they have their own gear and combat preferences so their equipment is what they are proficient with and what they take from one mission to another.

I was thinking yesterday about the loot you gather from missions and I think I will ditch it. You will simply get paid for accomplishing mission objectives. It's easier to balance with less risk of giving too much hi-tech to the player too quickly. This also allows me to craft more diverse and surprising missions.

I don't intent creating a X-Com like game but Rebelstar on steroids :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 05:06:43 am by Rebel Crusader »

Trench Dog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voice Acting Samples and other things, check out my soundcloud too!

Hey buddy, wondering if you'd be interested in having voice overs for this game? I use an Audio Technica 4040 Microphone, Scarlett 2i2 Focusrite Interface and have 5+ years of professional and hobbyist experience. I can be reached at Discord ComradeCrimson#8405, Skype Comrade.Crimson, and comrademahogany@gmail.com if you need to reach me outside the forums.

Rebel Crusader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey buddy, wondering if you'd be interested in having voice overs for this game? I use an Audio Technica 4040 Microphone, Scarlett 2i2 Focusrite Interface and have 5+ years of professional and hobbyist experience. I can be reached at Discord ComradeCrimson#8405, Skype Comrade.Crimson, and comrademahogany@gmail.com if you need to reach me outside the forums.

This is something I had in mind; some unit acknowledgement phrases: "moving out", "man down!", "cannot comply", etc...
I'll look you up in skype!

[Edit]
Cannot find you on Skype. 3x persons appear using Comrade.Crimson.
Add me instead: live:rebelcrusader

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:35:59 am by Rebel Crusader »

Rebel Crusader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here is a new release. I show some new tiles, doors and units carrying dead bodies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxtPvqG1cWI

Does anyone knows if it is possible to make a youtube link appear which its video preview thumbnail?
Thank you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]