Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: May Day Space Poetry Competition (Prizes: Starsector & Stellar Monarch)  (Read 1164 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile

Hello, dear proletariat. I wanted an excuse to support indy games that don't get enough attention right now, so I'm giving away a copy of Stellar Monarch and a copy of Starsector. The requirements for thee is to post a dwarven space poem or a communist space poem. If you can't do poetry, just do a haiku, those are easy.

Mention in your post whether you want Starsector or Stellar Monarch. If you apply for both, the price is two poems. Terrible, I know. That must be the Vogon in me.

The winners will be chosen and the games given 2nd of May. Stellar Monarch will be a Steam gift, Starsector a private message with the key code. No escaped lunatics qualify, they miss you too much in the asylum.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile

I can't think space communists or any kind of communist without instantly thinking of the Soviet Union anthem, so please read this in a similar style of the first 30 seconds to 1 minute of said anthem. So it's not really a poem, but dammit, I'm overtaken with the Glorious Union pride!

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs

*places fist against chest* tear rolls down cheek

the people can choose what game i receive for my contribution to the state after conferring with the official political officers of the state, they have chosen starsector. i must create the glorious union with my own hands.

*Edit: this is an ongoing project if i come up with any better ideas for the glorious anthem. updated to revision 2.
I'm focusing too much on dwarves and communism because those go so well together, and i'm trying to shoehorn space in there. if you think it still qualifies, cool, but now im just doing it because its fun and because i believe in the union.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:57:13 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't want to enter - just share the first thing that came to mind when I took a peek at this.

There once was a dwarf called Urist,
And in the mountains he flourished,
'till he looked up to the sky
proclaimed "One day i'll fly!"
yet died making a rocket, malnourished.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From May to October
From Earth through Ark
When winter is over
We build us a new embark
Past stars blue and red
Passing Lumumba and Gagarin
After years one hundred
A new world is dawnin'!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:59:30 pm by Radsoc »
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

There was an attempt.  :P Sign me up for Starsector.

-
Look up and into to the skies, Oh Comrade
Do you not seek our kind to rise? Oh Comrade

Would you rather squabble over petty wealth
And live in a world fallen to filth
Or seek an boundless bounty
While working toward true equality

Would you suffer evermore a meager wage
Doomed till grave upon this Earthly cage
Look beyond the screen of your computer
There is possible a more wondrous future

The oligarchs claim it is not possible
That denying human greed is illogical
You dear worker are the one to decide
To choose or not an existence more dignified.

Look up and into to the skies, Oh Comrade
Will you not seek our kind to rise? Oh Comrade

--

Edit: I kinda had more flowing through my head so might as well sign up for Stellar Monarch as well.

Stop one moment my dearest friend
Permit a soldier a rest here at the end
For it seems we have finally won
Though I feel as if I may be done
Mourn not for I see my work complete
Our Union's triumph is not bittersweet
With one glance around before I die
My eyes catch the light of this once distant star
Shining upon this wondrous sky
Out here with our Earth so far
I know not of Gods nor afterlife
but as I look onward, I see paradise. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 05:46:06 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Due to my poor creativity, I'm going with a haiku. The context is a dwarven civilisation has run out of minerals on their home planet and commissioned a mission to explore nearby asteroid fields. On this mission, the dwarven cosmonauts are allowed to carry their pet cats with them as companion. During the launch day, not used to being so far high off the ground, they get nervous and are surprised that their cats, on the other hand, remain calm. To remedy their fear of height, they have the vessel's cargo hold stocked with alcohol.

Main thrusters all go
Past the old mountains we soar
The cats seem content

Please sign me up for Stellar Monarch. Thank you for your generosity.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bumping for great justice, reminder that you have 24 hours left to take part in the competition.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not much of a poet, so I'll give the Haiku a try.

Iron walls, flying cave
Gemstone stars shine in the night
Endless new domains.

I'm going to try for Starsector - thanks for the opportunity!

edit: What I am is a writer (usually of shorter things.) This can count as my Starsector entry, if it turns out to be better than the Haiku,

Spoiler: A Short Story (click to show/hide)

Edit: And done. Minimalist, but I'll take it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:21:34 am by AlStar »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you for participation, everyone. It was surprisingly hard to find a favorite, so I chose two I liked best for each category and flipped a coin. As a result, Starsector goes to JimboM12 and Stellar Monarch to Rilder.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile

Thank you for participation, everyone. It was surprisingly hard to find a favorite, so I chose two I liked best for each category and flipped a coin. As a result, Starsector goes to JimboM12 and Stellar Monarch to Rilder.

Glory for the Union

to be honest, i had a rough outline for a soviet dwarf union for a long time, i just kind of threw space in there because it was part of the perimeters. thank you for the contest and the fun. glory to bay12.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:02:33 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I sent private messages to the winners, I hope you got them.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile

I sent private messages to the winners, I hope you got them.

i did, thank you comrade majestic

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile

Woo, cheers Comrade!
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

Aw, I missed this. I guess I'll do one for the !!fun!! of it.
Spoiler: One for all (click to show/hide)
Ok, that came out a little more pompous than I expected, but I'm rusty. :P
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.