Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed or instructions for a Night's Watch themed world  (Read 599 times)

leoboiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seed or instructions for a Night's Watch themed world
« on: April 28, 2017, 02:29:38 pm »

Hi, I'm a casual noob.  I think I got the hang of the basics, and would like to try and build an ice Wall as in A Song of Ice and Fire.  I'd like a world with the following characteristics:

* A continent with a Glacier biome to the north.
 * Evil biomes in the icy northernmost reaches.
 * At least one human or dwarven civilization southwards, in the same continent.
 * An embarkable stretch of Glacier land right on the edge of the evil areas, shore to shore, so that I can build a huge friggin' wall protecting the civilized lands from the evils beyond. The embark line ideally should span both evil and non-evil biomes; I'd build a wall on the edge.  In the original series there are a total of 19 fortresses along the Wall, but I don't mind if my world needs a different number of embark areas (smaller would be better…).
 * If possible, preferably a small-sized and young-historied world, for FPS reasons (not crucial tho).

I tried to generate this randomly, without luck. I don't now which parameters to set on the advanced generator. I could find some discussion about Night's Watch-themed worlds in the forums, but no seeds.  I hope I'm not asking something redundant, but how do I get a world more or less like this?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:33:02 pm by leoboiko »

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seed or instructions for a Night's Watch themed world
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 01:50:06 pm »

I could probably brew something up later today, I like messing around with worldgen and sounds like a neat idea.

Off the top of my head, I'd try making a world taller than it is wide, 3 edge oceans, to maximize the chances of getting a narrow freezing isthmus (such a weird word) you could stretch an embark across.

leoboiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seed or instructions for a Night's Watch themed world
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 09:09:59 am »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try fiddling with it when I get some free time.