Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some bins are ignored by all dwarves  (Read 679 times)

iamihop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Some bins are ignored by all dwarves
« on: April 28, 2017, 09:27:17 pm »

I had a temporary stockpile outside, but its usefulness has passed. I dezoned the stockpile, and my dwarves moved 90% of the stuff to other stockpiles. However, for the last year, they have been stubbornly ignoring three bins (on two tiles: one gem, one bar/block, and one finished goods). These bins have some useful/valuable things in them, but it's like they're invisible. There is a large stockpile nearby that can definitely take these bins and their contents. I have tried rezoning a stockpile under them, using take/give instructions. I even tried zoning a dump right next to them and dumping the bins (I also tried dumping individual items within them) but nothing happens. I have 20+ idles, all of whom are set to haul everything.

They are set to move furniture, and they routinely move other bins.

Edit: forgot to mention, nothing on those tiles is set as forbidden. I just checked again, just to make sure. Also, they are not listed as being "in job" or "owned"

Anyone have any ideas?

DF v0.43.03
Peridexis Errant's starter pack
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 09:48:17 pm by iamihop »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Some bins are ignored by all dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 10:13:49 pm »

If the bins have a mix of stuff in them, they might be put in the "too hard basket" by the dorfs. No other stockpiles satisfy all the items in the bin, so they don't bother to try.

If they have one bin of gems and nothing else, and so on, though, there could be an issue.

Method 1: Build some tables all over where the bins are. You can deconstruct the tables afterward, but they should "bump" the bins to a new location and a new work order. Alternatively, try building a floor under the bins.

Method 2: Forbid the items inside the bins, and then gather up the bins, or dump the bins and their contents somewhere for later retrieval. Doesn't always work, and prone to unexpected problems. Make sure you choose a dumping site which isn't the nearest magma pit. Mistakes have been made....

Method 3: Swamp the location with water. I did this by accident recently (a well-cistern flushing gone wrong) and a whole lot of stuff got washed to the edge of the map. When the deluge ended (only a few injuries) the dorfs went and picked up all the stuff and put it in the correct place. Bit drastic, but it got the job done.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 01:25:48 am »

I had a temporary stockpile outside, but its usefulness has passed. ... I even tried zoning a dump right next to them and dumping the bins (I also tried dumping individual items within them) but nothing happens.

Dumping is a refuse task, and, by a default standing order, dwarves ignore refuse tasks 'outside'. You can change that standing order with o-r-o.

forgot to mention, nothing on those tiles is set as forbidden. I just checked again, just to make sure. Also, they are not listed as being "in job" or "owned"

Being marked for dumping will prevent any non-dumping-jobs; did you remove the dump designation after your dwarves refused to perform the task?

Other than that, it's possible that the tile is inaccessible. What does the game say about the tile (bottom of the list) when you loo[k] at it? If the tile is "Open Space" then you'll need to build a wall on the z-level below to provide a proper floor for access. If the tile is some sort of impassible building then you'll need to deconstruct it to free your items.

If none of that helps then posting a save would probably allow someone to figure out what's going on.

iamihop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »

Thank you both for your suggestions!

The problem apparently wasn't a problem. Oddly, all the bins were transported once I began a completely unrelated shuffle and expansion, but they were moved to stockpiles that had been there and had space. The number of idles dropped to a handful at any given time. It's like it jolted them out of their laziness and reminded them that they're supposed to be hauling stuff.

I like the building and water techniques (I'll keep that in my back pocket) and I should have remembered that the dorfs won't handle refuse from outside by default - this was a new fortress, so I hadn't changed it yet. Dumping might have worked, after all, if I had done that correctly.

The reason I posted this here, and not as a bug report, is that there's almost always some tiny little setting that isn't quite right :)  Thanks again!