Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 565985 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1939 (Design Phase)
« Reply #1020 on: May 09, 2017, 03:42:49 pm »

Next turn the dry season will help counter their amphibious thing, and tons of our stuff becomes cheap. Such as the HF 32, which is most effective.
a cheaper T33 would also help plugging that hole for a little more.

Now might be time to retake the air, so with the research assistance I was thinking RADAR. RADAR combined with radio would help utilizing our planes to much greater effectiveness, even during the night.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 09, 2017, 03:44:34 pm »

What  about the new parrot?
Irrelevant once our Stingers become cheap next turn.
Long Live United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 09, 2017, 03:45:51 pm »

Just as I expected. We spent a turn doing nothing but getting transport capacity and losing ground was very predictable. I really hope that few designs becoming cheaper will have any notable effect to compensate a turn of doing nothing that impacts the frontline and gives little to no new tech.

As for the racing car > JET engine powered one. I don't care if we lose the race because expense credit is not very valuable. Free jet engine experience on the other hand....

I am strongly against radar because it will be another low impact turn. It is not like they are sending waves after waves of bombers.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 09, 2017, 03:47:42 pm »

I REALLY doubt we are allowed to get new tech from the race. If that is the case, something ludicrous like that would be useful, but I doubt. it. WIll ask.

it is not "a few" designs getting cheaper, it is basically everything we own that is not cheap already.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 09, 2017, 03:49:48 pm »

The winner will receive an Expense Credit, but you also might find that you're able to advance useful technology in your race car design.
*cough*
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 09, 2017, 03:51:31 pm »

but you also might find that you're able to advance useful technology in your race car design.
So yeah, we can develop new technology.

Anyway... I think Strongpoint may be right. We don't need Radar until the winter, when it can be used to overcome the bad weather. What we need is some land tech, I think, before we fall too far behind in that race.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 09, 2017, 03:52:42 pm »

yes, yes, seen that now, sorry.

anyway, Sensei said "Yes... but, it has to be something that would reasonably have a place on your race car.". Somehow, I doubt jet engines will fly with that.
On the other hand, probably there are many things we can work on that could improve general performance of vehicles, I suppose.

about ground, I can get behind that. until winter, radar is not strictly needed. However, we also need to retake the air. With air superiority, we would have won the jungle. This should be helped by HF 32 getting cheaper, but the ground will be helped similarly by most of our vehicles dropping an expense level.

So... heavy tank now that T33 is cheaper, or a light tank/APC to be airdroppable?
Other possibility, if we are confident in the air, is to build a close air support craft, like the A-10
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:57:11 pm by andrea »

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 09, 2017, 03:53:46 pm »

Yeah, it looks like we're going to need a new tank next turn. Trying to make our torpedoes more effective via revision would be good, too.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1028 on: May 09, 2017, 03:55:53 pm »

RADAR
An object-detection system that bounces radio waves off targets to detect them. Capable of integrating with all manner of mechanical fire control computers so data no longer needs to be input manually. The system comes in different sizes from long-range land-based early-warning installations down to packages designed for destroyers.

Quote from: Votes
RADAR (w/ Research Credit): (1) GUNINANRUNIN
RADAR (w/o Research Credit): (0)

I suggest we use our research credit on this. It's vital that this succeeds the first time.

RADAR would make our land and sea-based AAA and other naval guns more effective, our fleets would be safer since they can detect enemy ships from over the horizon that combat air patrols miss, and it would also help direct aircraft of all kinds more efficiently. It would also decrease pilot fatigue and save resources in some cases because then planes only need to be scrambled right when an attack is imminent.

---

The land is important too, but we can use a revision to improve our tanks. If we get rid of their naval advantage we'll have more resources too.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:59:11 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 09, 2017, 04:01:19 pm »

You are expecting way too much from the first step in radar technology. The first radar will be a huge stationary facility and that if we roll well.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 09, 2017, 04:04:17 pm »

Tanks we don't necessarily need to upgrade, as the T33's cost is coming down this turn. On the other hand the RADAR may be a bit premature given the more pressing fronts. What we need are half ton and 1 ton bombs for our bombers to bring the pain to the cannalan vessels, which are doable in revision.

So effectively, despite the cannalans gaining ground, we do have some breathing room to counter those tanks of theirs.

EDIT: Radar installations aren't particularly large. We aren't likely to get truck-movable ones but our ships should benefit.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 09, 2017, 04:05:25 pm »

Another thing we may need is a lander, since we currently have none.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 09, 2017, 04:06:32 pm »

A lander can wait until we've started bending the Cannalan navy over our knee. Won't be of much use if it's being sunk.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 09, 2017, 04:07:02 pm »

What we need are half ton and 1 ton bombs for our bombers to bring the pain to the cannalan vessels, which are doable in revision.
Alt: we revise the torpedo to be better.

Would rocket artillery help at all this turn?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1034 on: May 09, 2017, 04:10:33 pm »

A 12.7mm machine gun using AP ammo would knock out their APCs no problem, and it would give our planes more firepower. What would we mount it on though?
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 500