Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 566051 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1938 (Design Phase)
« Reply #285 on: May 02, 2017, 11:26:34 pm »

That is very ambitious.

I'm not confident how much we can get done with a single destroyer design; our best bet might be to make as big a gun we can that won't flip the ship and slap it on a chopped cargoship.  We'll never actually achieve what we aim for; "Fast, cheap, simple, and high firepower" is asking for a lot

We need:
1) Firepower.  No good if it can't kill.
2) Fast.          Alternative to cheap; fast and firepower will let us hold them at range and peck them to death.
3) Cheap.       Put it everywhere we can to keep them from running roughshot on us.

Just a preliminary design.  I'm wanting a long-range weapon with a lower end cost.

+1 to the Sniper, though I think it needs more light AA than a single Bumblebee.
Quote from: Votes
Destroyer 'Sniper': (2) Zanzetkuken, GUNINANRUNIN

Didn't see Powder Miner vote for it here, so corrected it to me.

And it's not one single bumblebee, it's one at both ends of the ship, making two.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:29:02 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 02, 2017, 11:27:54 pm »

-Edit, thought there was going to be a post by the time I got that done-
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 02, 2017, 11:35:02 pm »

I think we ought to make more explicit use of our (superior) electrics and optical technologies. Knowing about radios doesn't just mean better comms, and we'll need at least some form of targetting assistance if we want to reach parity with the pirates. I'll write up a proper proposal for it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 11:37:56 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 02, 2017, 11:35:24 pm »

I indeed haven't voted yet :v

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 02, 2017, 11:46:59 pm »

Couple more patterns.  My vote itself is staying on the Pattern B, though.

Destroyer UFS-DD 'Duo' 38, Pattern C
Description: The UFS-DD-38-1 is better known by the name given to its class, 'Unity'.  The aim is to be cheap, and powerful. Staying power is not considered a priority, instead focusing on firepower in order to eliminate as many foes as possible before going down.  She will operate in large numbers, using superior communication to coordinate attacks on lone enemy vessels, whilst avoiding the bulk of their fleet.  Conning tower is between the two turrets.
    Dimensions: 80 meters long, 8 meter beam, 3.6 meter draught.
    Displacement: 900 tons
    Engines: 3 water-tube boilers feeding 2 steam turbines, geared.
    Armament: A forward turret near the center of the ship mounting a 160mm gun equipped with a Bumblebee targetting computer modified for the larger gun for long range strikes and a back turret mounting a 130mm gun for eliminating smaller ships, a Bumblebee AA/AT gun at both ends of the ship for anti-air and anti-patrol craft purposes, four torpedo tubes able to fire Dolphin Torpedoes.
    Armour: Very Light (for a ship (So probably Light?), possibly using cheap steel for cost)
    Other stuff: Both Encryption and Decryption radios for communication.
ESTIMATED DIFFICULTY: HARD (We don’t have much experience building big ships. We could argue this should be easier since we are basing it on existing, decades-old tech)

Destroyer UFS-DD 'Tripoint' 38, Pattern D
Description: The UFS-DD-38-1 is better known by the name given to its class, 'Unity'.  The aim is to be cheap, and powerful. Staying power is not considered a priority, instead focusing on firepower in order to eliminate as many foes as possible before going down.  She will operate in large numbers, using superior communication to coordinate attacks on lone enemy vessels, whilst avoiding the bulk of their fleet.  Conning tower is between the two turrets.
    Dimensions: 80 meters long, 8 meter beam, 3.6 meter draught.
    Displacement: 900 tons
    Engines: 3 water-tube boilers feeding 2 steam turbines, geared.
    Armament: A forward turret near the center of the ship mounting a 150mm gun equipped with a Bumblebee targetting computer modified for the larger gun and a rear turret mounting 2 B2 destroyers for striking at smaller ships, a Bumblebee AA/AT gun at both ends of the ship for anti-air and anti-patrol craft purposes, four torpedo tubes able to fire Dolphin Torpedoes.
    Armour: Very Light (for a ship (So probably Light?), possibly using cheap steel for cost)
ESTIMATED DIFFICULTY: HARD (We don’t have much experience building big ships. We could argue this should be easier since we are basing it on existing, decades-old tech)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:20:04 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 02, 2017, 11:51:07 pm »

hey guys, check out the design some idiot came up with in the discord, haha

it's an asymmetrical destroyer, it'd never work

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 02, 2017, 11:54:56 pm »

Voting for the original Unity.

See you in two weeks.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 03, 2017, 12:07:43 am »

By the way, everyone, their Seaweed Anti-Air Cruiser is dropping an expense level due to the Archipelago, down from 'Very Expensive'.  Will be the turn after next, but I'll let that sink in as to how that will fuck with our current minor air combat at sea.  Worse, those have 8 cannons in the 130mm range.

Sniper's looking pretty good for countering that now...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:12:06 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 03, 2017, 12:12:32 am »

Also did anyone else notice Spain was listed as part of the Axis? They did join, but so did states like Bulgaria, and none of those powers other than Germany, Italy, and Japan played much of a role historically. It seems odd to mention them specifically alongside the big three. I wonder if that means the Republicans got rekt by AS-AR34 wielding Falangists and Spain wasn't as badly exhausted.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #294 on: May 03, 2017, 12:13:53 am »

I'm voting for Sniper Pattern C.

Destroyer 'Sniper' Pattern B: (1) Zanzetkuken
Destroyer 'Sniper' Pattern C: (1) GUNINANRUNIN

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 03, 2017, 12:17:57 am »

I'm voting for Sniper Pattern C.

Pattern C's the 'Duo,' not the 'Sniper'.

Quote from: Anyway, Current Votes
'Interdictor': (1) Lightforger
'Sniper': (1) Zanzetkuken
'Unity': (1) 3_14159
'Duo': (1) GUNINANRUNIN
'Tripoint':

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 03, 2017, 12:43:14 am »

Hey guys, we really need a cruiser design since it'll be better than the Sniper at the Sniper's job and will be more reliable to create early on. But I ain't got the time to make one; someone help out please? In trying to write six pages of history essay tonight.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 03, 2017, 01:01:40 am »

Quote from: CV Design
Aircraft Carrier UFS-CV 'Wasp Nest' 38, Pattern A
Description: Forenia's first Aircraft Carrier.  A light flat-top ship based heavily off our existing AS-CV22 and AS-ARAC-35; main differences include a greater overall length and a flat wooden deck for aircraft take-off and landing.  Wooden deck is slightly elevated off the edges of the ship and utilizes one hydraulic lift for ferrying aircraft from below deck to above deck.  Due to the time it takes to lift aircraft from below deck combat-ready planes crowd the rear of the deck when expecting combat situations.  Makes use of several "Arresting Cables" which require aircraft to be modified with tail-hooks.  Command center is at the stern of the ship, below the deck.  Unarmored deck, open-air hanger deck to reduce cost and load. 
    Dimensions: 180 meters long, 22 meter beam, 7 meter draught.
    Displacement: 14,680 tons
    Engines: 6 water-tube boilers feeding 4 steam turbines, geared.
    Armament: 5 fighter aircraft.  15 torpedo/bomber aircraft.  16 Bumblebee AA nests and 6 AS-AC18 spread evenly around the edge of the deck.
    Armour: Medium around the belt for torpedo survivability.  Very Light elsewhere.
ESTIMATED DIFFICULTY: HARD (We don’t have much experience building big ships. We have experience making landing strips in places they don't belong.  We could argue this should be easier since we are basing it on existing, decades-old tech)

Based on the 1918 HMS Argus, the first "real" aircraft carrier from two decades ago.

I posit that if we intend to obsolete the Cannala fleet, we must take the first, painful step towards what will ultimately do so: the CV.  Starting sooner will let us project our airpower - the workhorse of our military and the whole reason we picked our general - further afield in the ocean.  We can begin to modify it immediately rather than procrastinate making destroyers that will ultimately not solve our problems and be obsoleted by carriers altogether.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:36:58 pm by evictedSaint »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 03, 2017, 01:02:33 am »

Here's an Australian one we could base a cruiser off of, since we're near Austrailia: County class.  Cut out the 203 mms, we should be able to reduce the size by a bit.

Here's an alternate used by the Royal Navy and given to Poland.  Bit older, so we may have some more success.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:06:47 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #299 on: May 03, 2017, 01:36:56 am »

Building a DD this turn is a good idea to act as pickets for the CVs, but without a CV to protect it's going to be worthless right now without some torpedoes purpose-made to be deployed by ships. It would have guns that are too small to outrange their Khorne class, which would easily be able to repel our DDs unless it had torpedoes that could outrange the 6-inch guns.

A light, unarmored CV that's as mobile as possible is going to work well because it will be armed with torpedo and dive bombers that have been proven to kill Cannalan ships, and fighters that can keep it safe from Cannelan bombers, which we have parity with the Cannelans in air-to-air battles. This will also free up a revision to further improve our air force, and it would have a lot of synergy with the CV choice (assuming we don't need it to fix the CV if the design foes bad) So I'm voting for the Wasp Nest.

'Interdictor': (1) Lightforger
'Sniper': (1) Zanzetkuken
'Unity': (1) 3_14159
'Duo':
'Tripoint':
'Wasp Nest': (1) GUNINANRUNIN

The only other option I'd consider for a design is a heavy cruiser that can outrange their Khorne class (which is classed as BB but is really a glorified light cruiser), and therefore challenge their surface fleets. I think some kind of big gunned heavy cruiser will eventually be necessary in order to support landings.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:42:51 am by GUNINANRUNIN »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 500