Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 565861 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1940 (Design Phase)
« Reply #3255 on: June 06, 2017, 04:26:36 am »

120mm is traditionally destroyer armament. A light cruiser with that sort of armament would indeed be undergunned. More to the point 120mm is over the 30% limit for a 90mm gun to be upsized to.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: June 06, 2017, 04:30:40 am »

120mm is traditionally destroyer armament. A light cruiser with that sort of armament would indeed be undergunned. More to the point 120mm is over the 30% limit for a 90mm gun to be upsized to.
We have a 100mm gun, though. We could even do 130mm.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: June 06, 2017, 04:33:48 am »

From that, not our current naval gun however. That being said we are looking at two invasions this turn with no way around it. A lander this turn would be foolhardy given their current dominance of the seas. We need to push them back and get enough space on the waves before we can consider a lander viable.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: June 06, 2017, 04:34:59 am »

And a dedicated design for a weapon can ignore the 30% rule. Also only applies to upscaling guns. So if we make a 300mm we can field 152mm, 225mm, or anything smaller than 300mm or upto 390mm.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: June 06, 2017, 04:38:13 am »

I do not believe that a heavy cruiser can work without heavy cruiser armour. They are kind of big targets...

And my missile design could probably mount radar receivers a couple of metres in length.

Ana-S.S.-1940-evil "Caviar Soup Again?" class support vessel
This is, in many ways, a ship build around a New radar With a phased array of cavity magnetron goodness for smaller, faster, better, and all around aiming-too-high goodness for all to enjoy!, but also the opposite of that. It has a wooden hull, light-armoured deck, and is built small with an aim of agility and speed, ideally with improved engine and propellor designs.
It possesses antiair armaments aimed towards formation support more than self-defense.
It has a medium-armoured helm-bunker at the front, a crows-next at the back, and a medium-armoured command room and ammunition store under the deck at the back with sound-proofing and sound-tubes along with electronic support.
It's centre is dominated by a radar that is built as a separate unit, with excessive access to the surrounding area.
It is designed such that it is relatively easy to remove the radar and replace it with something else. When the design team has finished the basic specifications they will be greatly encouraged to explore alternate configurations. It is hoped that in addition to the "R00" variant, there will also be a "B00" and "A00" variants, with the central section occupied by rocket-launhcers for anti-ship use or bumblebees and autocannons for resisting air attacks respectively.

0 "Caviar Soup" support ship:
0 "Paralytic Sneeze" bombardment ship:
0 'Compensator' 300mm Coastal Gun:
0 "Caviar Soup Again?" support ship:
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: June 06, 2017, 04:38:33 am »

I thought we had a 120 mm gun for the archer, cant we try upscaling that?
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: June 06, 2017, 04:39:58 am »

Well, that went simultaneously better and worse than expected. On the one hand, no Cannalan invasion of the Jungle, hooray (what are they thinking?). On the other, apparently Steam Catapults were an option? ...I'm just going to assume it was VH for them and they rolled a 6.

They did it on a revision, so honestly, I'm doubting that.

The Cannalan's get major bonusses on naval designs because of all the experience they got there. We have no such advantage, because there's no field that Cannala ignored as much as we ignored naval matters.

Anyway... we are now at the point where any attack we make is going to involve a naval landing. It is lander time, I think.

Would have been nice had we not done the Carrier Cargo last turn, as then we could have combined the carrier/naval landing combo, just like the Cannalan's did.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 04:43:00 am by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: June 06, 2017, 04:41:50 am »

Eh, perhaps you're right. Maybe some coastal guns are the answer this turn.

That being said, there's no excuse not to use the Forenian naming system. UF-B3-40 'Compensator', assuming the B3 stands for something.
Long Live United Forenia!

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: June 06, 2017, 04:41:58 am »

The Archer is designed for 120mm but carries 90mm because we didn't succeed in upscaling the guns.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: June 06, 2017, 04:42:31 am »

We buggered that up on the destroyer design, we only have a 90mm gun for it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1940 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #3265 on: June 06, 2017, 04:45:04 am »

UFS-DD-38 Pattern E 'Archer': The Archer is Forenia's first combat ship. It is relatively small, and made of steel but unarmored, with two 90mm Bumblebee guns, complete with targeting system, in covered turrets on either side of a center con tower. There are also two more Bumblebees not in covered turrets, as the ones in the turrets were supposed to be larger originally. It is powered by two steam turbines, and it is relatively fast. Auxiliary weapons include an AS-AC18 on each side, and some Sorraia machineguns on railing mounts. There are also four Dolphin torpedo in launchers on deck: These are basically wooden chutes which can be aimed on a swivel, before the torpedo is released by untying a knot. [3 Ore, 2 Oil]
I oonly see bumblers.
But maybe The Destroyer gun?

Well, that went simultaneously better and worse than expected. On the one hand, no Cannalan invasion of the Jungle, hooray (what are they thinking?). On the other, apparently Steam Catapults were an option? ...I'm just going to assume it was VH for them and they rolled a 6.

They did it on a revision, so honestly, I'm doubting that.

The Cannalan's get major bonusses on naval designs because of all the experience they got there. We have no such advantage, because there's no field that Cannala ignored as much as we ignored naval matters.
Yeah, but, it is a catapult. That doesn't scream naval to me. While we did a rocket and it was kind of miserable. Still, really should have done a transport with all the trimmings and then done a carrier with a solid base. We were totes greedy there.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: June 06, 2017, 04:55:53 am »

Hey, the carrier isn't too bad, and the ressources bonus will help tremendously. I think priority now are

1) Prevent any naval invasion.
2) Get our naval game up to date while not getting behind on the rest

And then attack.

I think a gun for design and then a cheaper jet engine for revision is a solid turn. Then next turn we'll have more ressources to play with. Alternatively we can revise our radar instead of our jets.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: June 06, 2017, 04:58:20 am »

jet need revising. we can't let them outdo us in the air.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: June 06, 2017, 05:01:50 am »

Forenia : 55 Designs Total
-21 Ground Designs
        - 14 Infantry Equipment
        - 3 HMG
        - 5 Field Artillery
-8 Ground Vehicle Designs
-10 Air Designs
        - 2 Bombs/ Torpedo
        - 1 Train
        - 4 Fighters
        - 1 Fighter/Bomber
        - 2 Bombers
-5 Naval Designs
-9 Other Designs

Cannala : 66 Designs Total
-20 Ground Designs
        - 14 Infantry Equipment
        - 3 HMG
        - 3 Field Artillery
-9 Ground Vehicle designs
-13 Air Designs
        - 5 Bombs
        - 6 Fighters
        - 2 Bombers
-11 Naval designs
-13 Other designs

My numerical way of trying to find an area in which we have just as big an advantage against the Cannalan's as they have against us is failing. It appears that in the previous game, Cannala had more diverse designs, and hence didn't have the issue of multiple redundant designs.

Not to say that we don't have any advantages, we have them. But we don't have the kind of big advantage they got.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:05:46 am by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: June 06, 2017, 05:25:40 am »

On an interesting side note, we do have rocket boosted shells, which let us out range the enemy with equivalent cannons.

The enemy warship uses 6 inch (150 mm) cannons, so, that 300 mm should prevent them from getting anything in close.

I wonder, would we able to design a ship using 130 mm B2 Cannons (modernized with modern loading systems). That should allow us to match outrange the enemy battleships?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:32:23 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 500