Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 565930 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1940 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #3660 on: June 11, 2017, 05:18:58 pm »

snip

Interesting ideas. I like it. And, yeah, V1/V2s were not great as actual targeted weapons, but they work WONDERS on morale. We could likely reduce recruitment or some such by dropping morale. And, heck, we could use an espionage credit sometime to place beacons precisely. We wouldn't even need to get a drop-tank Yellowjacket or whatever to go pop the beacons in the general area.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: June 11, 2017, 07:40:32 pm »

Cruiser tho. Like kinda really needed.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: June 11, 2017, 07:42:11 pm »

Consider this: missile cruisers.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: June 11, 2017, 09:31:25 pm »

Cruiser first and then Missiles. Well, we might decide on something else like a new plane or something, but definitely thw Cruiser first.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: June 12, 2017, 02:16:47 am »

We can drop a couple Sarukh on the cruiser to get the PAROI votes I guess.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: June 12, 2017, 02:18:34 am »

or we could get TC

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: June 12, 2017, 02:21:02 am »

I still like the idea of a submarine for design and a trade submarine for revision, but we did create the Overcompensator specifically to have some nice surface comabttant.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: June 12, 2017, 02:29:22 am »

I created it because I wanted a couple fo turns of breathing room to sort things. I don't feel committed to a particular ship.

Also, air TC seems safer. Submarines may be hard to design, and I wouldn't deploy them before we have a lander.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: June 12, 2017, 03:05:08 am »

Submarines may be hard to design, and I wouldn't deploy them before we have a lander.
We obviously need a rocket-powered submarine lander! ... Actually, would rockets be able to push it onto land and back out to sea?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: June 12, 2017, 03:31:25 am »

Why don't you want to deploy subs before lander?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: June 12, 2017, 03:32:39 am »

Because we can't take advantage of an improved navy without a proper lander. If we deploy subs first, they will develop countermeasures before we can secure a beachhead.
Long Live United Forenia!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: June 12, 2017, 03:33:29 am »

Code: [Select]
[b][u]Ana-S.L.400-1940-DFA "Piranha Avalanche" Submersible Landing Craft[/u]
A submarine with a forward-mounted airlock and landing ramp. There is a line of of internally-loaded rocket-ports along each side, alternately facing forwards and back, which provide a jump onto the land or off of the land, or emergency speed for evading torpedoes and the like. It is armed with a forward deck-mounted double-bumblebee covered-turret and a similar single 240mm turret to the rear derived from the overcompensator. These serve as fleet support, shore bombardment, and landing cover. It is medium armoured with heavy armour on the turrets. It operates using diesel-electric power.
Design requirements include at least 40 metre maximum depth and 400 tonne cargo capacity with the ability to load something 20% larger than our existing largest tank.
[/b]
This is intended to offer a small target and heavy guns to protect a fleet while being able to submerge if under fire, hopefully before the enemy has its range... Add this to being able to offer surprise shore bombardment and landing significant forces without warning. It obviously has its shortcomings, but these are easily asnwered with "It has rockets"...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: June 12, 2017, 04:23:20 am »

Because we can't take advantage of an improved navy without a proper lander. If we deploy subs first, they will develop countermeasures before we can secure a beachhead.

A large part of an improved navy's benefit is more TCs.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: June 12, 2017, 04:38:25 am »

Lander is not for TC. Lander is for moving soldiers.

Basically, a sub will most likely drop their naval advantage. However, they have shown that they can match us again in one turn, and they will. This means that a subs buys us an almost assured 1 turn window in which they don't dominate the sea. We need to make it count, and to make it count we need to be able to perform proper amphibious attacks. To do that we need a lander that can bring armor on their shores. Infantry and light armor we are set thanks to salamander but we will want tanks on the frontline as well.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: June 12, 2017, 05:15:27 am »

I really think we should wait with further naval advances. We do not have the margin to do that.

I mean, having a lander that can deploy tanks is nice, but not when those tanks will be blown up immediatly by superior enemy tanks.
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 500