Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 565475 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Autumn 1941 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #4455 on: June 26, 2017, 12:49:48 pm »

Thank you NAV!

Quote from: Revision Votes
Carrier Overhaul: (0)
Advanced Firing Calculator: (0.0)
Burninator: (0)
UF-AC-41 "Raptor": (4) Azzuro,, McHuman, Khan Boyzitbig, Stabbt
UF-FTW-41-2 'Conflagration': (1) RAM
Blood Eagle 2.0: (1) Kashyyk
UF-AC-41 "Velociraptor" (6) Zanzetkuken, SMMI, Andrea, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, evictetSaint
UF-HMG-41 "War Horse" (1) NAV
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:53:56 pm by somemildmanneredidiot »
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: June 26, 2017, 01:04:26 pm »

UF-AC-41 "Raptor": (3) McHuman, Khan Boyzitbig, Stabbt
UF-AC-41 "Velociraptor" (7) Zanzetkuken, SMMI, Andrea, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, evictetSaint, Azzuro

United Forenia Forever!

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: June 26, 2017, 01:14:49 pm »

UF-AC-41 "Velociraptor" (8) Zanzetkuken, SMMI, Andrea, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, evictetSaint, Azzuro, Piratejoe
I would rather the fire director but at least this will improve our air and ground forces.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: June 26, 2017, 01:45:23 pm »

Velociraptor is a completely valid and non-anachronistic name. Velociraptors were discovered and named in 1924. Just in case anyone was curious.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: June 26, 2017, 02:07:04 pm »

Carrier Overhaul: (1) Powder Miner
UF-AC-41 "Velociraptor" (8) Zanzetkuken, SMMI, Andrea, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, evictetSaint, Azzuro, Piratejoe
don't mind me, just pissing into the wind

I don't mind the velociraptor though

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: June 26, 2017, 02:36:28 pm »

A more extensive description for the Advanced Firing Calculator.

Cassandra Advanced Gunlaying Table

The Cassandra Gunlaying Table is a mechanical computer built to use experience from the Bumblebee's mechanical computer and the Overcompensator's lacklustre fire control. It consists of a mechanical computer which gets fed by information such as the distance, direction, or wind, and returns the angles to point the guns with. It is "ready for, but not fitted with" receiving target information from when we later develop useful anti-ship radar. By observing the shell impact, corrections can be made.

In the smallest form, the Cassandra table is deployed with an artillery battery or coastal gun, allowing us to direct  all of the guns of that battery when using parallel fire. On our new Cataphract cruiser, an additional module is added, considerably increasing bulk. This contains a gyroscope and other instruments to correct for the cruiser's manoeuvring, allowing it to fire precise shots at the enemy.

Advanced Firing Calculator: (0)
UF-AC-41 "Velociraptor" (8 ) Zanzetkuken, SMMI, Andrea, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, evictetSaint, Azzuro, Piratejoe
Cassandra Advanced Gunlaying Table (1) 3_14159
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:35:29 pm by 3_14159 »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: June 26, 2017, 03:42:24 pm »

How about this alternative.

UF-AC-41 " Velociraptor"

The AS-AC-18 is our most common weapon, but it has sadly become outdated.  This new, modern variant is designed so that it can be integrated into any of our current designs that use it. It follows the same design principles as previous iterations of the guns, but thanks to modern technology and materials we have made great progress. Better springs, bolts, timing all allow great performance improvements. Fire rate is increased drastically, up to 800 rounds per minute. Muzzle velocity also increases by 25%-50%. In addition all our ammunition has been carefully re-balanced to ensure that all ammo types can be fired from the same gun without recalibration.

Are you trying to accomplish this with the same caliber and action? A hotter powder load might get you your muzzle velocity but increase recoil. As for interchangeability of ammo types, you'll probably have to give up the advanced primer ignition which will make the whole gun significantly heavier (and be a different gun). In fact, even increasing the rate of fire and muzzle velocity at the same time will mean the gun must be heavier; an unfortunate principle of the API design.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: June 26, 2017, 03:47:11 pm »

UF-AC-41 " Velociraptor"

The AS-AC-18 is our most common weapon, but it has sadly become outdated.  This new, modern variant is designed so that it can be integrated into any of our current designs that use it. It follows the same design principles as previous iterations of the guns, but thanks to modern technology and materials we have made great progress. Better springs, bolts, timing all allow great performance improvements. Fire rate is increased drastically, up to 800 rounds per minute. Muzzle velocity also increases by 25%-50%. In addition all our ammunition has been carefully re-balanced to ensure that all ammo types can be fired from the same gun without recalibration.

Are you trying to accomplish this with the same caliber and action? A hotter powder load might get you your muzzle velocity but increase recoil. As for interchangeability of ammo types, you'll probably have to give up the advanced primer ignition which will make the whole gun significantly heavier (and be a different gun). In fact, even increasing the rate of fire and muzzle velocity at the same time will mean the gun must be heavier; an unfortunate principle of the API design.

If I was at my computer rather than a phone, I could actually bring up a bunch of evidence that what you are saying about the API and interchangeable ammo is in fact a misunderstanding, as Kit brought up something that the one gun you are thinking of only had problems with an extremely light bullet.  Most all didn't have problems with different ammo types.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: June 26, 2017, 03:58:24 pm »

Carrier Overhaul: (1) evictedSaint
UF-AC-41 "Velociraptor" (7) Zanzetkuken, SMMI, Andrea, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Piratejoe

The fact that Sensei took the time to question the validity of the revision (something he didnt even do for Infantry QoL) makes me incredibly nervous.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: June 26, 2017, 04:02:06 pm »

Yeah, uh, if Sensei is questioning whether it is possible, then you'd better come up with some good evidence that it is, else we're gonna have a bad time. I'm switching over to the safer flamethrower revision, unless aforementioned evidence materialises.

UF-FTW-41-2 'Conflagration': (2) RAM, NUKE9.13
UF-AC-41 "Velociraptor" (6) Zanzetkuken, SMMI, Andrea, 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Piratejoe
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: June 26, 2017, 04:07:05 pm »

UF-AC-41 " Velociraptor"

I must say, you're wrong on this.

The German MK108 cannon used mixed belts of Incendiary and explosive ammunition, and it was an APIB operated gun. APIB only has an issue if one bullets weights a lot more than the other.

http://www.luft46.com/armament/mk108.html

I also found a manual for the Oerlikon 20 mm autocannon, which also used APIB. It to has several ammunition types, with no need to recalibrate the gun to switch between them.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/oerlikon_manual.pdf

The MG FF could fire AP, HE, Incendiaries and tracers. Only minegeschoss was a problem. Given that we don't have those rounds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_FF_cannon

About weight and firerate, the facts are different too. The Hispano-Suiza HS.404 fires larger cartridges than our gun, at higher firerates, with higher muzzle velocity and it weights just 40 kg.

So, it's clearly possible to build a gun without APIB that isn't heavier than our current autocannon.

Given the that the APIB design allows for higher firerates with less weight in the guns, upgrading our current cannon to the standards mentioned in the post should be very feasible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispano-Suiza_HS.404
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:11:42 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: June 26, 2017, 04:12:50 pm »

UF-AC-41 "Velociraptor" (7) Zanzetkuken, SMMI, Andrea, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Azzuro, Piratejoe
Gun-Ranging Radar Mk I (1) Madman198237

I agree with eS. Although maybe he just got bored. I'm torn. I want something that will improve our ground combat chances, or I want to make a FUNCTIONAL smaller radar and gunlayer combination, so that the Cataphracts can be deployed with radar gunlaying. Basically the Cassandra table, which would be great, combined with a smaller radar. With the amount of effort invested in both, we should be more than fine.

Gun-Ranging Radar Mk I
Using our previous attempts, a smaller radar is made, and then our previous targeting systems are combined (Specifically the Bumblebee computer, adapted for naval usage on the Cataphract and our Overcompensator guns) into one functional system that can take a range from the radar, combine such information as wind speed and direction, pitch and roll, target motion, and spit out a firing solution for the gun battery. This system will be immediately deployed on the Cataphract-class Heavy Cruisers, and on the 300mm shore-emplaced Overcompensators.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: June 26, 2017, 04:14:46 pm »

UF-AC-41 "Velociraptor" (6) Zanzetkuken, SMMI, Andrea, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Azzuro,
Gun-Ranging Radar Mk I (2) Madman198237, Piratejoe
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: June 26, 2017, 04:18:19 pm »

I think it's best for everyone to stop panicking untill the issue about the Autocannons is solved.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: June 26, 2017, 04:22:22 pm »

Madman reverted my vote to the Velociraptor... but since ebbor provided what looks like sufficient evidence to convince Sensei, I guess that's fine.
UF-AC-41 "Velociraptor" (6) Zanzetkuken, SMMI, Andrea, NUKE9.13, 10ebbor10, Azzuro,
Gun-Ranging Radar Mk I (2) Madman198237, Piratejoe
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 500