Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 566050 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1941 (Design Phase)
« Reply #4860 on: July 15, 2017, 03:29:26 am »

We need a fighter that isn't cheap, I am thinking titanium wingtips and turbines with some light armouring around the pilot and engine. I am thinking just spam out titanium that we don't have in order to push the smallest fighter we can make into the expensive bracket for the foreseeable future. And tune up some other systems too, like electric control systems(because hydraulic is for losers!) and acrylic canopy...

Please do not burn another revision on just "remove complex". Being just a little faster than our carriers would mean a lot...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: July 15, 2017, 03:37:03 am »

Having our battleships be cheaper than theirs would be well useful, though. It'd make up for our lack of skill.

Even if they get a fighter, good luck getting one better than- or equal to- ours. I mean, it could happen. But the Lightning seems fairly close to optimal performance without going supersonic.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: July 15, 2017, 04:22:21 am »

The problem with titanium, is if I'm remembering the resource rules right, using titanium will push the cost of the plane up so it's just short of Very Expensive, which would mean any other improvements would have to be careful not to further increase the cost; the light armoring you suggest RAM might just push it for instance.

If anything, I would try to revise the afterburners, even if those would push the Lightning Streak into too fast territory, they would help in bringing the jet back up to speed.
Alternatively revise the radar onto a plane that doesn't need a catapult (if we need to) but is still decently fast and with good endurance and use those as dedicated scouts. Heck, we might be able to just outright build a dedicated scout plane on a revision.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1941 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #4863 on: July 15, 2017, 08:19:34 am »

Design:  RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY"
The most notable advancement by the Radar Defense Network Mk. 3 "Deadliest Ray" is the invention of the cavity magnetron.  Leaps and bounds smaller than the primitive radar installations currently used on land and sea by the Forenian Army, it is the culmination of several years of research and multiple attempts to improve the radar system itself.

This system is small enough to move from dedicated Cargo-Radar ships to being mounted in the command towers of military naval ships without sacrificing the turret stations.  It is small enough to be mounted on mobile trucks and SPAAG's for in-field radar detection and even mounted aboard a Haast or Lightning (or Reckless Effect, if space is not permitting) in order to provide mobile air-based radar command stations for aerial operations.  Rather than an entire battery of Overcompensator Shore Defense systems relying on a single radar installation, each may be mounted with its own radar system.

The primary goal is to make the radar as small as possible, more securely integrate it with our radar targeting systems to improve automatic targeting, mount it on all our ships, and to mount the system on at least the Reckless Effect.

Opens the way for proximity fuses, helps us on both land and sea, gives us a route for guided weapons, and it's all done by simply researching a time-period appropriate tech in a field we've fiddled with three times before now.  Hell, it may even help the Overcompensator by giving each gun its own radar.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:06:38 am by evictedSaint »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: July 15, 2017, 08:30:09 am »

Yeah, that's the ticket.
The Deadliest Ray. Heh heh heh. I'm exceptionally happy with this series of names- when I initially suggested the Death Ray I was worried people wouldn't like it.

Quote from: Votes
RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: July 15, 2017, 08:35:20 am »

RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": (2) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla
It's about time for a small radar, and although I am more partial to the name Mini-Death Ray and save Deadliest Ray for a better radar; I'll still vote for it.
A fair point eS, complaint withdrawn.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:55:16 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: July 15, 2017, 08:47:33 am »

RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": (3) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, evictedSaint

Our radar already sees 150 km in the air and 30 km on sea.  Air could be improved, but you can't see beyond 20 km on sea before the horizon blocks line-of-sight anyways.  The simplest solution to better range is just put it on planes; thus, smaller radar.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: July 15, 2017, 09:05:21 am »

RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": (4) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, evictedSaint, Madman198237
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: July 15, 2017, 09:17:28 am »

RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": (5) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, evictedSaint, Madman198237, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: July 15, 2017, 11:11:05 am »

RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": (5) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, evictedSaint, Madman198237, Happerry, NAV

Consensus achieved?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: July 15, 2017, 11:18:05 am »

Yes.

Now make it say 6, not 5.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: July 15, 2017, 11:24:33 am »

RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": (6) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, evictedSaint, Madman198237, Happerry, NAV, Stabby
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: July 15, 2017, 11:26:32 am »

RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": (7) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, evictedSaint, Madman198237, Happerry, NAV, Stabby
Fixed the vote count

Glory to United Forenia!

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: July 15, 2017, 11:48:30 am »

RDN-41-3 "DEADLIEST RAY": (8) NUKE9.13, Jilladilla, evictedSaint, Madman198237, Happerry, NAV, Stabby, 3_14159

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: July 15, 2017, 11:56:31 am »

I just gotta ask - "Deadliest Ray" is an okay name, right?  This isn't gonna be like the "Reckless Effect" fiasco or the "Fuckbringer" disaster, is it?
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 500