Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 566210 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1938 (Design Phase)
« Reply #510 on: May 04, 2017, 05:11:23 pm »

I love a good unanimous vote.

Quote from: Votes
'Wasp Nest': (4) GUNINANRUNIN, Khan Boyzitbig,evictedSaint, Madman198237
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 04, 2017, 05:13:40 pm »

I think it's fairly likely that Cannala will begin trying some sort of anti air soon, and unlikely that they will catch us soon.

design carrier, revise archer?

or revise the fighter.

Also to keep in mind is the changes in encryption. They didn't do jack this time, but now they are set up to take away our communications advantage if they decide to revise.

'Wasp Nest': (5) GUNINANRUNIN, Khan Boyzitbig,evictedSaint, Madman198237, Helmacon
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 04, 2017, 05:16:13 pm »

Well, I'm all for a carrier. But I think we could make some minor revisions to the Wasp's Nest. For one thing, I'm not sure it needs... 16 Bumblebees. Maybe 8 is more reasonable. Remember, Bumblebees are quite big. For another, we should probably put at least medium armour around the belt- we don't want our capital ship to sink from a single hit.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 04, 2017, 05:17:34 pm »

It is stopping the Cannalans from overrunning our merchantmen. That's enough for the time being. We will need a carrier that can actually hold a decent CAG though.

And the wasp's nest holds far too little small-calibre AA, we could definitely use the extra AC18s on there. And the revision will be for the HF-32, we need the help we can get up there.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #514 on: May 04, 2017, 05:18:27 pm »

The Archer does what it's supposed to; it challenges the Cannalan navy and floats.  We couldn't possibly ask for more.  It can be retrofitted with better torps and cannons later.  For now, we need a foothold in the thing that will render their fleet obsolete; CV's.
If by "challenging" you mean "getting utterly creamed in every way possible". The only thing that could have seriously challenged a CV if it was designed last turn would have been another CV, and the Cannalans don't have one, and they were comfortable enough in their navy that they wouldn't have designed one themselves. The DD wasn't a bad choice in itself but the timing was terrible because it needs so many other things to make itself useful, like better torps and guns.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 04, 2017, 05:19:11 pm »

Go carrier go!

'Wasp Nest': (6) GUNINANRUNIN, Khan Boyzitbig,evictedSaint, Madman198237, Helmacon,Andrea

For revision, I suggest the plane. We beat them hard on air this turn, and only on air.  They will want to regain air superiority... and we can't allow that.

edit: about the archer: keep in mind it is meant to act as ablative armor more than an actual weapon. It fills the role extremely well, so all is good. Now lets design something for it to protect.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 04, 2017, 05:19:22 pm »

Well, I'm all for a carrier. But I think we could make some minor revisions to the Wasp's Nest. For one thing, I'm not sure it needs... 16 Bumblebees. Maybe 8 is more reasonable. Remember, Bumblebees are quite big. For another, we should probably put at least medium armour around the belt- we don't want our capital ship to sink from a single hit.
Should we call this "Hornets nest?"
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #517 on: May 04, 2017, 05:25:32 pm »

We don't need a carrier, we have no problem with range on the sea, and floatplanes would be better anyway.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 04, 2017, 05:26:22 pm »

If by "challenging" you mean "getting utterly creamed in every way possible".

By "challenging" I mean not rolling over and letting them do whatever they want.  We all knew they wouldn't do enough.

Should we call this "Hornets nest?"

We can name it Hornets Nest, but only if our next plane design is called the Hornet.

We will ask for 16 guns and get less than that.  Asking for less doesn't modify how many we end up with, I think.  We're also asking for a cable arrest system which we likely wont get and a compliment of 20 planes, which is 2 more than the ship it's based off of.  It's not so ambitious we'll get slapped down for asking, but not so humble it won't be ineffective if we roll well.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 04, 2017, 05:30:52 pm »

Hmmm...If we swap around the quantity of the  larger Bumblebees with the smaller AC-18s, could we fit more planes on the Aircraft Carrier?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 04, 2017, 05:31:39 pm »

What about armour? Can you agree to putting better than Very Light armour on it? At least around the belt. A torpedo belt wouldn't hurt either. Just so that a single hit isn't guaranteed to sink it.
Long Live United Forenia!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #521 on: May 04, 2017, 05:33:14 pm »

I would love a revision to the Yellowjacket to modernize it a little more without making it more expensive.

Not this turn but the turn after, maybe we could consider some amphibious APCs like the Cannalans have, and a revision to the Archer that will let it carry them (this has IRL precedent). Then we'll have a proper invasion fleet going.

Though, I'm worried that once we come out with a CV that the Cannalans will respond with a submarine so that they can keep their raiding advantage.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 04, 2017, 05:35:09 pm »

Yes to up-armoring the Wasp's Nest. If we're going with a carrier, it's going to be a solid carrier, not a crappy one.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 04, 2017, 05:36:01 pm »

...actually, the HMS Argus had top-heavy issues when she first sailed out, so they filled her keel with ballast to keep her right-side up.  Putting medium armor around the belt would help with that, too.

Unless anyone has any objections, I'm going to modify the Wasp Nest to have medium belt armor.

I would love a revision to the Yellowjacket to modernize it a little more without making it more expensive.

I would too (especially because it has an actual name), but it's woefully obsolete at this point.  Designing a new fighter to take advantage of our air advancements would be a more efficient use of the turn.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 04, 2017, 05:36:54 pm »

Nah.  If we revise a larger plane (enough for transport size 2) or a really large ship (transport size of 3), then we can get the resources from the British island allowing for the HF-32 to drop down to cheap as well.  Bonus if we go for a really large plane: we can use it to drop paratroopers.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 500