Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 565749 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1942 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #5490 on: November 25, 2017, 12:28:06 pm »

Posting a draft for my entry on the contest (remember: it is personal, any of us can write one)
I would love to have some feedback on it.

Spoiler: Haast entry- draft (click to show/hide)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: November 26, 2017, 04:08:54 pm »

I will admit I don't know much about radar targeting systems for large-scale guns, but I thought I'd write up a tentative Design report for next year (barring discovering some terrible thing we need to counter during the battle report). 

Design: UF-RTS-42 "Longer Shot" Pattern B

The United Forenian Radar Targeting System 1942 "Longer Shot" is the evolution of our previous forays into radar, automated targeting, and advanced fire-control systems.

With the increased resolution of the Deadliest Ray radar system, the Longer Shot more precisely zeros-in its targets.  The radar data is fed into the on-screen display, in which the operator slides a single metal ring on rails over the blip.  This moves the gun into the correct position for immediate firing.  This targeting is improved over our last iteration of the design, giving the guns a more precise angle of adjustment and inclination. 

While it is possible to fire the cannons at this time, the Longer Shot features a "Linear Targeting" functionality to give the operator the ability to more accurately hit moving targets.  The initial metal ring is locked in position relative to a secondary ring - the operator must move this secondary ring to cover the blip where it appears after the next radar sweep.  This difference in ring positions feeds the Longer Shot the necessary data to lead its target.  From then on the operator merely needs to keep the second ring on the target in order to maintain the targeting information, occasionally updating the first ring as the target changes its velocity.  This system is intended to be fitted onto our existing ships and coastal shore guns.

The limitations of this design involve user error; the operator must accurately target blips between sweeps, as well as stay vigilant enough to recognize when the target adjusts its velocity.

Due to the low difficulty of this design, it also attempts to reduce the Complex tag on our Deadliest Ray and make it small enough to put on each turret of our ships.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:59:14 pm by evictedSaint »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: November 26, 2017, 04:13:59 pm »

I would REALLY like to get even smaller radar before mass distributing it. If we could get an individual radar for each turret then we could track multiple targets simultaneously. The enemy has a lot of small vessels, and being forced to dedicate a Vodka's entire armament to a single vessel at any given time would be detrimental. We could also look into phased array radar for better target splitting...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: November 26, 2017, 04:18:53 pm »

The limiting factor of our radar is that it's complex, not size at this point.

At 2 meters in diameter, we could put one on every turret - it's just Complex, so we can't afford to do that.  We can either decomplex it through revision (relatively expensive at this point) or by using it for enough things it's common enough not to be complex any more.

Or at least I think that's how the Complexity rules go - I'm a bit fuzzy on that.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: November 26, 2017, 08:10:26 pm »

Design: UFN-SNR-42 "Clickbait"

You won't believe how this device works! Using this ONE WEIRD TRICK, this device will render a local factions sea mines completely useless! 

Click below to see the SHOCKING description that YOU WON'T BELIEVE!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This should improve our landings, since we won't lose ships to Cannalan mines.  Should also help us gain further naval advantage, since their mines still hit our ships during ambushes - I think their minelayers are still preying on our shipping lanes, though we haven't heard about it lately.

Plus, we can later develop sonar-guided torpedoes, or even a submarine if we're feeling froggy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 01:12:50 am by evictedSaint »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: November 26, 2017, 08:50:51 pm »

Personally, I'd like to make some Magnetically Detonated Naval Mines sometime, working off our good torpedo technology. Then they can worry about the minefields for once.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: November 27, 2017, 04:15:31 pm »

Here's my submission to the propaganda contest.
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: November 27, 2017, 04:34:08 pm »

I like it, Nuke!  My favorite part is when you point out Cannala pulls things out of Mandemon's folder'o'designs rather than coming up with things as needed.

I'm waiting to see how our revision goes.  I've got a poster idea, but it kinda relies on us rolling higher than a 2 on this revision.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1942 (Design Phase)
« Reply #5498 on: November 27, 2017, 05:06:20 pm »

Don't mind me, I'm just doing a bit of research for our revision.  Man, I really hope the Bjorn pans out, I can't afford to lose many more organs...

Revision: APS-42 "Reality Check"

The Active Protection System 1942 “Reality Check” is a soft-kill defensive countermeasure designed to be installed on aircraft. Named in order to mock Cannala's development of MAGIC, the Reality Check module is a variant of our magnesium flares used during the Forenian War to facilitate night raids.  The flares are reduced to 25 mm's in diameter and assembled in blocks of 5x5.  When activated, the dispenser will deploy five one-at-a-time at half-second intervals.  This allows the user to deploy the countermeasure up to five times before exhausting their supply of flares.  Pilots should attempt to reduce engine temperature while deploying the Reality Check module, either through evasive maneuvers, cutting engine throttle, or both.

The Reality Check module is small enough to be socketed into the empty space at the back of an engine nacelle on our larger planes, or into the bottom of the rear fuselage on our smaller planes.  If available space, weight, or difficulty of integration is an issue, the module can also be simply bolted to the outside of the craft and wired to the cockpit.  The system is simple enough that it can be shipped out and integrated into our aircraft in the field.

Examples Examples Examples

Normal: 2
APS-42 "Reality Check":
The "Active Protective System" is a module bolted on to the outside of planes, which deploys 25mm magnesium flares, to distract infrared guided missiles. Each canister contains 25 flares. There are five fuses, each of which lights off five flares (and causes them to drop from the plane) at half-second intervals. The fuses are ignited electrically by the pilot. The APS is a bit of a large box which mounts on the outside of a plane and isn't aerodynamic, which is a small concern for bombers but a larger one for fighters.[/b]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 05:14:57 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Winter 1942 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #5499 on: November 27, 2017, 06:03:47 pm »

Can we recommend mounting it on Haasts for battlefield illumination?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: November 27, 2017, 06:24:58 pm »

The flares burn very briefly, that would be of limited utility.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: November 27, 2017, 06:25:59 pm »

Why not put our Artillery Flares back in service, then?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: November 27, 2017, 06:32:24 pm »

We could, but those are what our current flares are based off of, the artillery flares are known to burn very briefly.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Wizgrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: November 28, 2017, 05:36:50 pm »

When speculating about who will win a war, it is useful to compare the rank and file side by side. While most of the war consists in how you treat your enemies, killing them dead, for example, a quick look at physical unit of the army, the individual fighter, offers distinct insight about the doctrines that govern each army.
Let´s start with a typical Cannalan “fighter”. To further appreciate the appeal of this particular species, we must observe it in its natural habitat. A puddle of vomit in a shabby bar. Having just puked the last month´s pay in the floor, the Cannalan soldier offers  quite a disgraceful view. Wearing shorts, T-shirt and flip-flops, its rusty M1913 nowhere to be seen, pawned off in exchange for more watered down rum. However, it would be untrue to judge the Cannalan army as totally hopeless. A careful medical examination of POWs shows that the average Cannalan soldier is a vector for no less than four different diseases, two of them, on average, of venereal nature. While there was speculation of a “ultimate warrior breeding program” taking place, further investigations have confirmed that the sanitary corps of the Cannalan army treat soap as an option, asking for more rum-based disinfectant from the supply line, most of which disappears down their throats.
At the opposite end of the spectrum, we have the typical Forenian soldier. Unlike the scurvy laden conscripts that we reviewed earlier, this time we are in front of a hardened veteran. Disciplined, resourceful but, most important of all, confident. Not the kind of blind and hopeless faith that those pirate rats get from a bottle, but the firm belief that when he fights, he is backed by the might of his homeland, from the coldest tundra of Arstotska to the hottest desert of Moskurg. And it shows in his equipment. He is dressed to kill, with boots from the best leather, uniforms sewn with the latest nylon technology, with detachable armor plates and a thousand other quirks that make his life easier and his opponents´, short. In his hands, he holds the mighty AS13, considered by some* the most advanced rifle in this war, a piece of technology so sublime it may as well a piece of art and the gun of choice of Germany during the occupation of Czechoslovakia. It is said that the poorly trained forces of our enemies flee in terror from their sunglasses-covered eyes. They are, in every sense conceivable, dressed to kill.
In conclusion, the result of the Forenian-Cannalan theater has been decided from the start. Our nation wins in every category, whether it being technology, discipline or style. It would be wise, no matter ideological allegiance, to plan in accord of this development. The Forenian Engineering Board is always ready to cooperate with any friendly nation to further develop our technology and bring forth a brand-new, Cannalan-free world.

Okay, first post. Are we going to later roll the tank?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: November 28, 2017, 09:52:20 pm »

I think we should attack titan and cannala this turn.

Quote from: Strategy Votes
(1) Attack Titan, Cannala.  QuakeIV

Also, I would like to try to send out an engineering assistant with an experimental 3d maneuvering device that consists of an array of rockets strapped to a belt to propel him into the air, as well as two pneumatically powered grappling hooks to help him maneuver around.  He shall test rocket based infantry tactics and join the Attack on Titan.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:55:40 pm by QuakeIV »
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 500