Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 564876 times)

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1943 (Design Phase)
« Reply #5715 on: March 24, 2018, 07:05:01 am »

Let's go through their small ships and their torpedoes which rather surprised me when I looked at them:
Type 40: 40cm compress air powered(not a typo) torpedo made in the 1910's. Noted to be effective for most of the war, never upgraded.
Shark: 10 inch torpedo had a dry heater engine but, it's poor performance meant it had the same range as the type 40, air drop-able. Was rendered largely useless after torpedo belts where installed because of it's small warhead.
Seahorse Mine: Just the warhead of a shark with addition impact detectors and able to float. Oddly enough seemed to defeat the torpedo belts in spite of having the same warhead and, presumably hitting the same area.

Drunken Buccaneer: Piloted by Cannalan's best captains after being possessed by the spirit of a dead ninja. 50 feet long, armed with an auto-cannon and presumably two torpedoes on the sides. 40mm decks guns where ineffective do to them dodging and a higher velocity 57mm was found to be as well, due to their captains.
Corsair: Armed with twin 76mm cannons, a bunch of auto cannons, mines, some torpedo launchers and, light armor. Noted to be fairly fast but, due to it's smaller cannons it supposedly loses to the archer.

These boats and weapons combined with their general is whats currently giving them a full advantage tier.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: March 24, 2018, 07:08:59 am »

Oh wow.

That's even worse than I thought.

None of those things should even be remotely effective anymore.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: March 24, 2018, 07:45:02 am »

The Arbalest would be considerably faster than the Cataphract, presumably. Yes, late war Destroyers were about the same size as early war Cruisers.

Shadowclaw: we can make as much (if not more) progress in missile tech by reverse-engineering Cannala's missile with a revision as we could starting from scratch with a design.

If Cannala's ancient mines & torpedoes are so effective, maybe we should design our own minelayer?
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: March 24, 2018, 08:27:06 am »

I'm not sure it would be faster. After all, it uses the same armor thickness, which is the primary reason that the Cataphract is noted as being slow. In addition, no mention is made of faster engines.

If Cannala's ancient mines & torpedoes are so effective, maybe we should design our own minelayer?

I think that may be a good idea.

Charybdis Magnetic Mine The Charybdis is a heavy, tethered mine. With a warhead significantly larger than our current torpedoes, it is capable of destroying all but the largest ships outright. It's magnetic sensor detects changes in magnetic field, rather than absolute field strength, making them more sensitive and harder to fool. A build-in counter can be configured to allow a certain amount of ships to pass over unharmed. This makes minesweeping far harder, as many swept areas still contain mines. Though it's rather heavy, the Charybdis can be deployed by a modified Salamander parachute from the Reckless effect or Ice Giant in addition to various forms of naval deployment.

Whalesong Acoustic Mine The Echo is a heavy, tethered mine. With a warhead significantly larger than our current torpedoes, it is capable of destroying all but the largest ships outright. It's accoustic sensor listens to the sound of nearby ships, and is both configurable for broad ranges of the spectrum (blowing up everything) or clearly defined frequencies (blowing up only certain classes of vessels). It includes a build-in configurable delay counter to allow a few ships to pass over unharmed. Though rather heavy, the Echo can be deployed by a modified Salamander parachute from the Reckless effect or Ice Giant in addition to various forms of naval deployement.

Electric Eel The Electric Eel is an advanced naval torpedo, weighting almost 2 tonnes. It's equipped with an accoustic sensor, which activates after a certain distance has passed and then homes in on a nearby sound signal. Selective dampening ensures that the weapon does not try to follow it's own propellor or that of the launching vessel. The heavy warhead is triggered by either an impact or a magnetic influence detonator, depending on configuration.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:27:21 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: March 24, 2018, 09:20:21 am »

UFN-K-43 "Proteus"
Designed to deal with the surprisingly dangerous threat of enemy mines and torpedoes the Proteus corvette is highly versatile. The ship itself is hardly impressive measuring in at a mere 75m long the corvette mounts a single 90mm bumblebee at the fore, backed up by no less then 12 20mm auto-cannons four located around the mast and eight in twin turrets(two fore, two aft) and, 4 torpedo tubes. To remove the threat of enemy mines the craft has anti-mine nets on either side of the craft, in addition to a front mounted spotlight to pick out floating mines. In order to return the favor the ship comes with new stingray mine based on the dolphin torpedo. These are nothing more then the warhead of a dolphin in a floating case with a slight delay for magnetic detonator built in; so the mine is pulled under the ship by it's wake and then detonates. It's torpdo tubes are loaded with the new 'Orca" which is nothing more then a dolphin up-scaled to 1 ton.. The ship is powered by a single steam turbine which thanks to it's small size and low weight allows the craft impressive speed and maneuverability. Using this the Proteus can not only hunt down and eliminate the enemies buccaneer PT boats but, also use it's more powerful, longer range 90mm cannon to eliminate the enemies corsair destroyer. As a finally bonus the ship small size means it can traverse some of the larger jungle rivers.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:35:27 pm by Light forger »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: March 24, 2018, 09:38:30 am »

Are you KIDDING?

The Cataphract has HEAVY belt armor, 300mm (I didn't realize how far that armor value would climb when I asked for immunity to 6in gunfire). It has MODERATE speed.

It's not going ANYWHERE "fast". It's a TERRIBLE destroyer.

The Arbalest is near-useless for MTB killing too. If it was going to be good, the Archer would be killing off destroyers (it has faster-tracking, lighter guns). If you want to include a ship with your sonar, make it a dedicated DDE sort of thing---minesweeper and autocannon-loaded MTB killer.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: March 24, 2018, 09:39:11 am »

I'm not sure it would be faster. After all, it uses the same armor thickness, which is the primary reason that the Cataphract is noted as being slow. In addition, no mention is made of faster engines.
Uh?
Quote from: Arbalest
The ship features Class-2 "Light" Naval Armor (75-125mm)
The Cataphract has 120mm of deck armour. The citadel has 300mm. And the turrets are armoured as well. That's a lot more armour than the Arbalest.
Maybe the design should mention better engines, though.

All that being said, I'm not fully sold on the Arbalest. I think it would be good and useful, but maybe there are better options.

Echo Acoustic Mine The Echo is a heavy, tethered mine. With a warhead significantly larger than our current torpedoes, it is capable of destroying all but the largest ships outright. It's accoustic sensor listens to the sound of nearby ships, and is both configurable for broad ranges of the spectrum (blowing up everything) or clearly defined frequencies (blowing up only certain classes of vessels). It includes a build-in configurable delay counter to allow a few ships to pass over unharmed. Though rather heavy, the Echo can be deployed by a modified Salamander parachute from the Reckless effect or Ice Giant.
I like this one, as it gets us sonar experience as well as a mine. I dislike the name, though. Echo is kinda obvious. How about Whalesong?
You should probably mention that it can be deployed by Archers as well, maybe with some minor modifications to facilitate this.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: March 24, 2018, 09:51:23 am »

The citadel has 300m

Crap, I missed that somehow.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: March 24, 2018, 01:13:01 pm »

Archer
Turrets:              4x90 mm, hand cranked, uncovered.
Fire control:       None.
Torpedoes:        1x4 unpowered launcher, wooden.
Armor:                Class 1
Point Defense:  2x20 mm, AC-41
Engine:               2 oil-fired turbines
Minesweeping: None

Arbalest
Turrets:              5x130 mm, electric, covered.
Fire control:       Longshot Pattern B
Torpedoes:        2x5 powered launchers, steel.
Armor:                Class 2
Point Defense:  12x20 mm, AC-41 (twin mountings)
Engine:               4 oil-fired turbines
Minesweeping: SONAR, net mountings

I dunno if we should do a sea mine design.  It could be defeated in one turn, if the enemy were to - for example - build a sonar Destroyer. >_>
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:06:20 pm by evictedSaint »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: March 24, 2018, 01:21:33 pm »

Not much as a suprise, TBH.

However, given that I got confused with the armor on our bigger ship, it's still decent.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: March 24, 2018, 01:52:11 pm »

Archer
Engine:               2 steam engines

Arbalest
Engine:               4 modern oil-fired turbines
Minor note, the Archer also has oil-fired turbines.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: March 24, 2018, 02:04:49 pm »

Also the archer's point defense was upgraded from AC-18 to AC-41. Still only 2 though.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: March 24, 2018, 02:08:33 pm »

Archer
Engine:               2 steam engines

Arbalest
Engine:               4 modern oil-fired turbines
Minor note, the Archer also has oil-fired turbines.

Ah, okay.  I couldn't find any descriptor for the archers engines beyond "water-tube steam engine", so it could still be coal-fired for all I know.

Also the archer's point defense was upgraded from AC-18 to AC-41. Still only 2 though.

Mkay. I was going off the latest equipment list, which still listed it as AC-18's

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: March 24, 2018, 09:43:39 pm »

So anyone else think we should use our revision this turn to turn our torpedo into a magnetic mine?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: March 24, 2018, 10:00:12 pm »

I was thinking the same thing, but have already sould my sol to stealing the missile.

If we were to steal a design this turn, I am thinking perhaps to not deploy it. It is likely an obvious choice, but between complexity and what ought to be an expensive design for its role... I am also torn between the codename Rum Flush or Rum Bush... I am thinking of splitting the difference and trying for Rum FJUSH or looking for a backwards capital L...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 05:25:49 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 500