Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 564826 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Summer 1945 (Design Phase)
« Reply #6825 on: July 21, 2018, 04:42:44 pm »

Quote from: Boat Vox
UFAF-SNB-45 'Tubby Duckling' (1) : Madman
Microprocessors (1) : RAM
UF-GEV-45 Ekaterina (3) : Andrea, Kot, NAV
UFN-SS-45 Archer II (2) : Cnidaros, Kashyyk
Hammer of Forenia (3): Zanzetkuken, eS, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: July 21, 2018, 08:45:37 pm »

I thought of that, but it seems too OP to have Uranium be worth both Ore and Oil together.
It occurs to me that uranium supplies build up over time. It would be possible for uranium to be exchanged at a 2 for 1 ratio, or even 3 for 2 if it would otherwise overflow. This would leave it as being more flexible but less powerful than a traditional resource, as it could provide anything, but not every turn.

A missile sub shouldn't be al that impossible. An angled launch tube shouldn't be too much different than a torpedo tube, and only operating while surfaced would simplify things greatly. I could easily see it requiring 10-20 minutes to achieve a safe position, sufficiently prepare the tube to open, raise and extend the missile, power up the radar and acquire a target... And another 5 minute to retract things enough to seal the hatch again, but that still seems viable. It could also carry an S.A.M. system, likely with less setup due to smaller missiles, and act as a deterrent to small scout-flights that can be mission-killed without opportunity to scramble an effective retaliation force. ?So it seems feasible, but a bit too much of a focus on naval operations...

We do need an effective bomber...

Ground-effect is cool! And can probably also operate most places that a hovercraft can, and operate over depths too shallow for surface vessels of appreciable calibre for landing support.

Can we counter their radar beacons using smoke? We must have smoke-deployers of some sort. Maybe we could throw in some additives. It doesn't need to offer a radar contact, just block radar signals...

Microprocessors (0) :
UF-GEV-45 Ekaterina (4) : Andrea, Kot, NAV, RAM
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6827 on: July 21, 2018, 09:29:47 pm »

Microprocessors (0) :
UF-GEV-45 Ekaterina (5) : Andrea, Kot, NAV, RAM, Parsely

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: July 21, 2018, 09:36:07 pm »

Eyes on the prize people. Keep pushing through the jungle, we have a good shot at keeping them well away from our oil! (And them away from the Ore)
And the bomber would help our naval efforts as well; even if not as much as the ground-effect aircraft.

I'd love to push onto the plains, but mono-focusing on the navy may lead to a return to the same back and forth up on Tereshkova. We can mess around on Titan for a turn. We can mess with the Canner naval advantage properly next turn, when our oil has a bit more breathing room.

(eS, can you clarify that the Hammer has ample space for countermeasures? Launching veritable clouds of chaff and swarms of flares.)
Microprocessors (0) :
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (4): Zanzetkuken, eS, Happerry, Jilladilla

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: July 21, 2018, 09:46:23 pm »

Voting for the one design that doesn't approach insane

Quote from: Vote Box
Microprocessors (0) :
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (5): Zanzetkuken, eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6830 on: July 21, 2018, 09:59:51 pm »

Make it a seaplane!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: July 21, 2018, 10:14:25 pm »

(Out of town, so I'm writing on mobile)

As much as I like the weirdness of the Caspian Sea Monster, it ends up being a fast but super fragile Guided Missile Destoyer that probably would wreck against ocean waves.  Also, how won't it get immediately smoked by a Spearhead?

The attack sub isn't bad, I just don't think it's the best choice yet.  For future reference, it should say something about upsizing our 1000 pound Dolphin torpedoes to full naval size.  We rolled a six revising it with a magnetic fuze, but never did much with it after the Haast.

The Saltseeker is finally a reason for us to have a high altitude heavy bomber.  (If we didn't have the Saltseeker, I would have gone attack sub.)

Microprocessors (0) :
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (6): Zanzetkuken, eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6832 on: July 21, 2018, 10:22:56 pm »

(Out of town, so I'm writing on mobile)

As much as I like the weirdness of the Caspian Sea Monster, it ends up being a fast but super fragile Guided Missile Destoyer that probably would wreck against ocean waves.
But... those things only have problems landing and taking-off, not flying.

Also, how won't it get immediately smoked by a Spearhead?
It's pretty invulnerable to enemy missiles, and a attack pass using guns leaves the enemy fighters extremly vulnerable themselves.

The Saltseeker is finally a reason for us to have a high altitude heavy bomber.  (If we didn't have the Saltseeker, I would have gone attack sub.)
Yeah. And Cannalans will make their own SAM probably, rendering high-altitude bombers vulnerable as fuck.
You see, that's the big-ass problem. You don't think in terms of this turns, but in terms of future ones.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: July 21, 2018, 11:19:05 pm »

Yeah. And Cannalans will make their own SAM probably, rendering high-altitude bombers vulnerable as fuck.
You see, that's the big-ass problem. You don't think in terms of this turns, but in terms of future ones.

Last turn: we make an ASM
This turn: Cannalans make an ASM that's better than ours in everything except size of warhead, thanks to 'superior missile experience'. We make a SAM.
Next turn: ??

We need Naval Advantage next turn to diversify our fronts like people have been harping on about, and an easily counterable high-altitude heavy bomber isn't the way to do that.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:21:22 pm by Cnidaros »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: July 21, 2018, 11:34:39 pm »

I'm honestly pretty okay with the Hammer but voting for the Archer II to make it more competitive.
Also because submarines this turn was totally my idea originally and I take all credit if it succeeds.

also the name
Microprocessors (0) :
UFN-SS-45 Archer II (3) : Cnidaros, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles
UFAF-JB-45 Hammer of Forenia (6): Zanzetkuken, eS, Happerry, Jilladilla, Taricus, Conscript Five
[/quote]
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6835 on: July 21, 2018, 11:43:56 pm »

Last turn: we make an ASM
This turn: Cannalans make an ASM that's better than ours in everything except size of warhead, thanks to 'superior missile experience'. We make a SAM.
Next turn: ??

We need Naval Advantage next turn to diversify our fronts like people have been harping on about, and an easily counterable high-altitude heavy bomber isn't the way to do that.
Yeah. This is why we get an Ekranoplane instead of a submarine, which is a really insanely hard thing to make.
I'd like the Hammer of Forenia more if it had some special things about it, and I'm still really fucking not convinced UV paint is going to do anything for a plane for the cost of added difficulty, while on Ekranoplane it'd probably be a considerable help.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: July 22, 2018, 12:14:38 am »

Yeah. This is why we get an Ekranoplane instead of a submarine, which is a really insanely hard thing to make.
I'd like the Hammer of Forenia more if it had some special things about it, and I'm still really fucking not convinced UV paint is going to do anything for a plane for the cost of added difficulty, while on Ekranoplane it'd probably be a considerable help.

Lun-class Ekranoplan: built 1987
Type VIIC U-boat: built 1940

How exactly is a submarine "insanely hard" while the ekranoplane isn't?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6837 on: July 22, 2018, 12:34:05 am »

Lun-class Ekranoplan: built 1987
Type VIIC U-boat: built 1940

It's not only about date in history. Ekranoplanes exist, ground effect is widely known, we have way more experience with plane-like creations.
We have absolutely no fucking idea how to make submarines, and our experience in making ships is eh. I see the Ekranoplane still working on a bad roll, but the submarine on a bad roll is just a wasted design. If we were Cannalans, sure, they know how to make ships (and apparently planes, because they have everything), but you know.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: July 22, 2018, 12:40:40 am »

Submarines are rated at approximately 6.71 units of awesome. Ekranoplans rate at approximately 8.38. Greater awesome produces greater fortune, thus better dice rolls. Missiles, meanwhile, are only about 3ish, and we spent ages trying to reverse-engineer a kind-of crummy one. I would suggest giant pinball fields to bounce deathballs around on, but we don't want to break Sensei's dice...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #6839 on: July 22, 2018, 12:44:37 am »

Submarines are rated at approximately 6.71 units of awesome. Ekranoplans rate at approximately 8.38. Greater awesome produces greater fortune, thus better dice rolls. Missiles, meanwhile, are only about 3ish, and we spent ages trying to reverse-engineer a kind-of crummy one. I would suggest giant pinball fields to bounce deathballs around on, but we don't want to break Sensei's dice...
This person understands it well.
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 500